Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCARIEST GAMES EVER MADE

• 15-07-2010 6:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭

IN YOUR OPINION WHAT ARE THE SCARIEST GAMES OF ALL TIME?

I'll start things off, in no particular order

Resident Evil (PS)
    Silent Hill (All of them, especially SH4: The Room)
    Dead Space
    Left 4 dead
    Left 4 dead 2
    Alien Resurrection (PS)
    F.E.A.R. (Alma made me **** myself on numerous occasions)
    F.E.A.R. 2 (Alma continued to have an influence on my ****ting regime)
    Doom
    Quake (N64)
    Clive Barker's Jericho
    Alan Wake
    Realms Of The Haunting (PC)
    The Thing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

Dead Space and F.E.A.R are the ones that stick out in my mind. Never knew what was going to burst out at you next. First Person view seems to work out best for Horror/Scares I think. Turning around and seeing something going for you out of nowhere had me jumping out of my seat a few times, especially for Dead Space.

While Alan Wake certainly had the atmosphere I think the 3rd Person view took a certain amount away from the chances of a scare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭twilightzone

Daraa wrote: »
    Dead Space and F.E.A.R are the ones that stick out in my mind. Never knew what was going to burst out at your next. First Person view seems to work out best for Horror/Scares I think. Turning around and seeing something going for you out of nowhere had me jumping out of my seat a few times, especially for Dead Space.

While Alan Wake certainly had the atmosphere I think the 3rd Person view took a certain amount away from the chances of a scare.

yeah f.e.a.r. 1 and 2 in particular frightened me, very creepy games. Dead Space was very grisly and atmospheric, it was a really inspired game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Condemned. Those ****ing mannequins...:(

Thief 3 - The Shalebridge Cradle level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I had a game on the PC (i know this is the xbox forum so dont shoot me :) ) called Phantasmagoria is frightened the sh1te outta me when I was a young fella. Really gruesome deaths in that game

I had a game on the PC (i know this is the xbox forum so dont shoot me :) ) called Phantasmagoria is frightened the sh1te outta me when I was a young fella. Really gruesome deaths in that game

don't worry, all consoles accepted on this thread!:) i must check phantasmagoria out, it sounds great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Fatal Frame 2 - Crimson Butterfly on the orig Xbox.

Advise not to play it in the dark. Class game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Condemnded
    resi 5 had its moments, DLC was better
    Eternal Darkness (scariest game I have played hands down, and it was on the GCN)

Fatal Frame 2 - Crimson Butterfly on the orig Xbox.

Advise not to play it in the dark. Class game.

cool, i heard the fatal frame games are brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

gizmo wrote: »

Great level. System Shock 2 could be very unnerving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

gizmo wrote: »
    Condemned. Those ****ing mannequins...:(

Ive heard about those maniquins

not a chance im playing that

i had a ps1 and played resident evil once and i couldnt play it when i was younger, since then ive never gotten a horror type game since!! it scared the bejesus outa me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Same her Resident Evil on PS - scared the bejesus out of me too! Was only about 14/15 when i got it. I haven't been right since.

/sits naked in the shower

winston82 wrote: »
    Resident Evil on PS - scared the bejesus out of me too!

great game! remember the first time you see a zombie chomping away at one of your buddies and he just turns around in slow motion?! wow that rocked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,897 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

my 1st true jump was Resi 1 when the dog broke through the window. I remember it was on display in Game and a huge crowd watching it, unreal!! Guy working there thought he was cool, wouldn't let anyone else play till he nearly **** himself with the dog.

Resi 1 with the sound up and lights off at 2am is a very scary game. The atmosphere drags you in and then those giant spiders make you fumble with the joypad and the adrenaline kicks in that you have to get out of the room. I really hope Resi 6 goes back to its roots. I want non-roids Chris back.

I have the DLC for Resi 5 but havn't played it yet. This thread makes me want to now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

This thread should be renamed to:

"Resi 1 on PS scared the ****e outta me Appreciation Thread"

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

sheehy83 wrote: »
    my 1st true jump was Resi 1 when the dog broke through the window.:)

Thats my biggest jump in gaming i remember that really got me. Had a few in FEAR, Dead space, Singularity as well but nothing like that bloody dog !! :D

Aliens on the ZX spectrum as well..door ...door ...door ... alien aaagggghhhhhhh

ok, someone has to make a resi 1 appreciation thread!! i made a vice city one recently was great to see old vids of it and songs from the soundtrack posted. Would love to reminisce about it.

Back on topic...Silent hill was 2nd scariest game. (I think 1st one was jumpy kinda frights while SH 2 was a real emotional mind f*ck!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    my 1st true jump was Resi 1 when the dog broke through the window. I remember it was on display in Game and a huge crowd watching it, unreal!! Guy working there thought he was cool, wouldn't let anyone else play till he nearly **** himself with the dog.

Resi 1 with the sound up and lights off at 2am is a very scary game. The atmosphere drags you in and then those giant spiders make you fumble with the joypad and the adrenaline kicks in that you have to get out of the room. I really hope Resi 6 goes back to its roots. I want non-roids Chris back.

I have the DLC for Resi 5 but havn't played it yet. This thread makes me want to now :)

ya resi broke new ground for me. it was the original truly scary, grisly energetic game. resi 5 was great, very different to the rest and possibly the greatest looking game of our generation. cant wait to get the dlc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

its terrifying reading about it again :(

it was just the timing for me and the age i was at the time! silent hill was the game after that i remember that was kinda freaky too, but resident evil... not a chance id even play it now

ill stick to splinter cell, where i can hide and sneak past bad things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Viva Pinata.

Many O' men have tried to conquer the spine chilling adventure....but to no avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

In addition to the dog in Resi 1 you have the licker going past the window in Resi 2.

Not an obvious choice and i think most would say its not that scary but Bioshock has some cool scenes, Sander Cohen level or when that guy appears right behind you when you turn around(You know the one)

I think the scariest level ive ever played though has to be the hotel mission in Vampire: Masquerade. Brilliant atmos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭cml387

dr gonzo wrote: »
    In addition to the dog in Resi 1 you have the licker going past the window in Resi 2.

Not an obvious choice and i think most would say its not that scary but Bioshock has some cool scenes, Sander Cohen level or when that guy appears right behind you when you turn around(You know the one)

I think the scariest level ive ever played though has to be the hotel mission in Vampire: Masquerade. Brilliant atmos.

None other than the great Charlie Brooker has namechecked Bioshock as giving him a turn or two.

That long arm from Dead Space gave me the freaks the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Alien Vs Predator on the PC, when playing as the Marine. With facehuggers scampering. Scares the bejaysus out of me. Even the newer one, which isn't as jumpy, had me breathing hard where I see a hatched egg and hear some scurrying.

ya resi broke new ground for me. it was the original truly scary, grisly energetic game. resi 5 was great, very different to the rest and possibly the greatest looking game of our generation. cant wait to get the dlc.

I heard the 1st DLC pays tribute to Resi 1 with a scary ol' mansion and more puzzles, less hordes of zombies, can't wait to give it a whirl.

clockwork tower was an old schools horror as was alone in the dark. I enjoyed AITD on PS2, Didn't play the newest one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Doom3 on the xbox scared the bejesus out of me. Stuck in a pitch dark level with a sh*ty flash light and you don't know what's going to pop up in front of you next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Resi Evil 1 on the PS when it first came out and i was about 12. Oh man that was like nothing i ever played before. My bro brought it home after he late shift in work and we played it into the early morning, very scary.

Silent Hill games also. I played about two of them in the series, which numbers i dont know, but the way that game brought sound effects to a whole new level of horror was unreal. Walking into a dark corridor to hear your radio giving static was enough to scary the **** out of me. It wasnt "BOO" kinda scary like the Dogs jumping through the window in Resi 1. But it was like a fear of the unknown kinda horror or psychological horror or something.:rolleyes: Bloody Fantastic :eek: I dont think i actually finished either of those games :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Fatal Frame 2.

/thread

SH - in the school, pitch black except for your flash light. Then....static....then a little zombie child comes at you with a knife.

SH2 - Spent the whole game looking for your wife and at the very end, I got the ending where
    your wife is dead all along and that you were the one that killed her by smothering her with a pillow years ago. Then you drive your car off the cliff to commit suicide in a watery grave.
    I have never felt such grief (playing a game) as I did playing through that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The two that scared the sh*te out of me are Aliens Vs Predator when you play as the marine and your motion scanner goes off then suddenly stops, and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. That game terrified me in parts. Anyone who's played it probably feels the same way about the part where you have to go upstairs to talk to a guys wife, or your first night in the hotel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

chrislad wrote: »
    Alien Vs Predator on the PC, when playing as the Marine. With facehuggers scampering. Scares the bejaysus out of me. Even the newer one, which isn't as jumpy, had me breathing hard where I see a hatched egg and hear some scurrying.
    Back pedal and flamethrower all the way! Still scared the **** out me, especially when one of the ****ers actually got you. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Silent Hill 1 has my soiled pants, in recent memory Dead space.

Advertisement