Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT cant connect with linksys WTR54GL

• 15-07-2010 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

I previously had a netgear
    just got a new rotuer, check settings on netgear

i assumed i just needed connectio type

PPPoE
    username
    and pass

theres no place for multiplex or vlc settings?
    anyway says

cannot get IP address from PPPoE server

any ideas ?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Placebo wrote: »

anyway says

any ideas ?

thanks

The multiplexing, VPI/VCI are set on the modem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Are you trying to use the linksys on its own? It is a router only and you need to use it with a modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I previously had a netgear
    just got a new rotuer, check settings on netgear

i assumed i just needed connectio type

PPPoE
    username
    and pass

anyway says

any ideas ?

thanks

I noticed the heading says BT and also the username on the screenshot is a BT username. You sure your not a vodaofone customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭GreyAlien

You have to set your modem to bridge mode. Then connect your modem to the wan port of the WRT54GL. After that PPOE, username and password on the router page to connect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

dub45 wrote: »
    Are you trying to use the linksys on its own? It is a router only and you need to use it with a modem.

silly me i just noticed that the internet jack is for ETHERNET and not the telephone, i was under the assumption it was a modem too

i have a netgear DG834G

prime reason for linksys is so i can use get tomato firmware QOS for xbox live.

You have to set your modem to bridge mode. Then connect your modem to the wan port of the WRT54GL. After that PPOE, username and password on the router page to connect.
    so it will connect through linksys ?
    any idea how i set it to bridge?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

silly me i just noticed that the internet jack is for ETHERNET and not the telephone, i was under the assumption it was a modem too

i have a netgear DG834G

prime reason for linksys is so i can use get tomato firmware QOS for xbox live.

so it will connect through linksys ?
    any idea how i set it to bridge?

http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/dg834g_dg834gb_ref_manual_03Jun05.pdf

See section 7-5
    Use Router as DHCP server
    If another device on your network will be the DHCP server, or if you will manually configure the network settings of all of your computers, clear the ‘Use router as DHCP server’ check box. Otherwise, leave it selected.

Should be under Lan Setup.

Don't forget to turn off the wireless on the netgear also!:)

Advertisement