Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

corvus4906 wrote: »
    I got the iPhone 4 on 3 last night at bout 8pm.

How long does it take to get my number ported from previous mobile to this one?

There were problems the last couple of days. I'm still waiting for my number to be ported...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

i see.... :/ How long have you been waiting?

Yeah i heard there were some probs, what were they? i seemed to be able to connect to 3g internet no bother. Am i one of the lucky ones that just needs the number ported and am good to go?

i see.... :/ How long have you been waiting?

Yeah i heard there were some probs, what were they? i seemed to be able to connect to 3g internet no bother. Am i one of the lucky ones that just needs the number ported and am good to go?

Don't have any major issues with 3G either...

Have been waiting since i called up on Tuesday.

Pain in the bum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

I just spoke to three, and it took about 10 minutes for me to get the "refund in store note" put on the account.

I did everything I could to let them get out of it - repeatedly asked if it was a known issue, and was there a fix coming. Was eventually told there would be no fix, as it was a "minority" of users.

I was on the DART this morning, and had to restart the phone twice to try and get an internet connection that worked. Flipping airplane mode on and off wasn't working, as even when the 3G symbol was there, it would only access three's own website. Anything else, it said that "the server could not be found". The fact that the appstore doesn't work on 3 properly says it all.

I've owned iPhones since the first gen, and this is the worst experience I've had with them. It doesn't work as it should on the current three set up, end of story. The phone is hamstrung on it. They should never have been allowed to sell it. Apple should take it off them, they don't know what they are doing.

If you are considering three, I would strongly advise against it. The constant dropping back to a network (vodafone) with no data coverage, the difficulty in getting back to 3's 3G network, and the further difficulty in getting the internet to work when you do return to 3G makes it almost unusable.

Scottish wrote: »
    I just spoke to three, and it took about 10 minutes for me to get the "refund in store note" put on the account.

I did everything I could to let them get out of it - repeatedly asked if it was a known issue, and was there a fix coming. Was eventually told there would be no fix, as it was a "minority" of users.

I was on the DART this morning, and had to restart the phone twice to try and get an internet connection that worked. Flipping airplane mode on and off wasn't working, as even when the 3G symbol was there, it would only access three's own website. Anything else, it said that "the server could not be found". The fact that the appstore doesn't work on 3 properly says it all.

I've owned iPhones since the first gen, and this is the worst experience I've had with them. It doesn't work as it should on the current three set up, end of story. The phone is hamstrung on it. They should never have been allowed to sell it. Apple should take it off them, they don't know what they are doing.

If you are considering three, I would strongly advise against it. The constant dropping back to a network (vodafone) with no data coverage, the difficulty in getting back to 3's 3G network, and the further difficulty in getting the internet to work when you do return to 3G makes it almost unusable.

Sorry? On the dart? You never get a signal on the dart going southside anyway. Never had it with o2 or vodafone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

I could get a tiny bit of signal on the Dart with O2, I actually get better signal on it (southside) with 3.

slasher_65 wrote: »
    I could get a tiny bit of signal on the Dart with O2, I actually get better signal on it (southside) with 3.

I used to use the iPhone 3GS all the time on the DART. Granted, the signal with O2 was low after Seapoint, and it would be tough to get anything again until Sandycove.

But at least, AT LEAST, you could get a signal that worked (and flipping between airplane on and off got your 3G back most of the time).

On 3, it sometimes shows the 3G signal but it wont connect to anything. Nothing works, and the constant favouring of the data less vodafone fall back network over their own 3G would drive you mental. And when you connect back to 3G, the internet wont work. Then it's off to carrier settings to try that, if that doesn't work it's time to reset your phone.

Even when I got into town today, it was doing the same thing. I have had to restart the bloody thing more times than I care to remember.

They should get rid of the vodafone fall back, or at least give the facility to not use it. I'd rather not have it.

But there are no issues, so there will be no fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

What do you have to prove to Three to be allowed send it back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Scottish, that sounds pretty clearcut to me, I would hope to do the same over the next couple of days, I wont be fobbed off by their tech support until the 14 days are up, I will try their sim swap, after that if there is no improvement I will want out. If I'm not getting what was promised/advertised/sold I don't want a halfarsed version of it, unless they charge me 20 euro pm for it, they give me half the service I give them half the money.
    I don't want all the grief and bulls*** having to re-port my number again with a different provider, but I wont accept a crap service.

How exactly did you go about cancelling your contract.

Gigiwagga wrote: »
    Scottish, that sounds pretty clearcut to me, I would hope to do the same over the next couple of days, I wont be fobbed off by their tech support until the 14 days are up, I will try their sim swap, after that if there is no improvement I will want out. If I'm not getting what was promised/advertised/sold I don't want a halfarsed version of it, unless they charge me 20 euro pm for it, they give me half the service I give them half the money.
    I don't want all the grief and bulls*** having to re-port my number again with a different provider, but I wont accept a crap service.

How exactly did you go about cancelling your contract.

I rang them up, basically told the first person what I was complaining about (sounded like India). She put me on hold, then transferred me to someone in Ireland.

I explained what was happening, gave them every chance to tell me that it was something they working on a fix for, she admitted there was no recognition of any problem in three other than for a "small minority" and therefore there was no fix coming and my only option was to take it back. Told her to put the note on the account, she said she did, and mine will be going back on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

just called 1903, got through to the slumdog millionaire lads, very nice chap, he said i was in my 14 days, so i can cancel no problem, put me through to an irish girl on the iphone 4 team, she said just bring phone into store with all your papers received and they will cancel no problem, i asked about needing a note on account as some here have said, she said no, just bring in phone and receipts etc !

:D

pity 3, it could of been a beautiful relationship

The most frustrating thing about it is that when the internet works it is blazingly fast.

I've got it working now, and I just got almost 3mb download and 1.5mb upload when running Speedtest.

I just wish they would sort of the issue with getting the damn internet to work when you get 3G coverage back from the vodafone network. Or at least give data coverage on the vodafone network, or just get rid of it all together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Cancelled 3 and returned iPhone 4 to CPW yesterday. No problems. Gone back to Meteor with a Samsung Galaxy S now.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OCD

Scottish wrote: »
    The most frustrating thing about it is that when the internet works it is blazingly fast.

I've got it working now, and I just got almost 3mb download and 1.5mb upload when running Speedtest.

I just wish they would sort of the issue with getting the damn internet to work when you get 3G coverage back from the vodafone network. Or at least give data coverage on the vodafone network, or just get rid of it all together!

I had the same problem with it not switching back to the 3g network but now it does it on its own. I'll try to re-create it doing it and see how it does it.

Someone else said that switching on data-roaming gets you internet coverage on the 2g network but I'm not sure if it's true and if you are charged separately for it. Might be worth investigating.

Overall I find the Three 3g network to have much more coverage than O2's 3g and have rarely been out of coverage. The speednet tests I have done between the two of them show that Three is consistently better, sometimes up to 5 times faster, than the O2 3g network.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

Got the iPhone yesterday, was told my number would be ported from old phone (meteor) to new iPhone (3), by 9am this morning.

As is stands, it is HALF ported. i can make calls from the iPhone and they come up as from my origional number.

BUT if some1 calls my original number, my old phone rings...not the iPhone.

Any ideas...anyone....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 paulhaze

Just been in a 3 store and been shown an e-mail from head office that says they are aware of the issue that if you are in a location that doesn't have 3g access that the iphone on their network doesn't switch to 2g. They will have this fixed on the 13th August. They gave me an extension on my 14 day return to see if this works.
    My advice would be to stay away from 3 if you are thinking of getting an iPhone. If like me you already have one then go to the store where you got it and get them to extend the 14 day return period. If they don't fix it on the 13th then I will be returning the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

paulhaze wrote: »
    Just been in a 3 store and been shown an e-mail from head office that says they are aware of the issue that if you are in a location that doesn't have 3g access that the iphone on their network doesn't switch to 2g. They will have this fixed on the 13th August. They gave me an extension on my 14 day return to see if this works.
    Thanks for letting us know, are they going to enable data on 2G or sort out the problem of the phone not switching back to 3G ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

paulhaze wrote: »
    They will have this fixed on the 13th August. They gave me an extension on my 14 day return to see if this works.

You get that in writing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Got the iPhone yesterday, was told my number would be ported from old phone (meteor) to new iPhone (3), by 9am this morning.

As is stands, it is HALF ported. i can make calls from the iPhone and they come up as from my origional number.

Happened with mine too. Basically had 2 seperate numbers for a day, then all crazy like yours is now for a day, eventually my meteor went to "No Service" and all my calls went to my 3 phone. For a while people were saying they couldn't call me but it all seems ok now. Just took about 3 days all together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Strange my iphone seems to be switching to the 3g network automaticly now since last night, I havent made any changes to my setting or restarted it since yesterday morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Mine is working OK today as well, had awful hassles the last few days trying to get maps to work but it's working today :) fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sorry? On the dart? You never get a signal on the dart going southside anyway. Never had it with o2 or vodafone
    Never had issues getting a signal on the Southside on the DART with a 3G, 3GS and now iPhone 4 - EXCEPT at Sandymount (and even that dead spot seems to be gone now). I listen to web radio most days for the whole trip (O2 and now Vodafone).

Re the signal on Three, I couldn't be dealing with flipping on/off flight mode while paying a monthly fee. The phone would have to go back.

My phone has been sitting on my desk for 30 minutes, on the fall back network.

An hour ago, when I was on 3G I got 3mb download speeds.

Why on Earth does it favour the fallback network??

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭stephenbrow

Are you on here just to contradict what people are saying? You told me to shut for starting this thread and now your never off it, if you have no issues go away, if you have I'm delighted for you.. you should have read my first post without telling me to shut up and stop “Brand Bashing”..

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

it'll change over completely in a while. really annoying though, I had to send texts from iPhone and receive em on my old phone. keep turining off/ on your phone every couple of hours. took about 18hrs for mine to fully port over.

Anyone describe how to reset network settings on iphone 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Scottish, this behaviour sounds very similiar to my experience with it. And often when I leave my wifi zone(home) the phone goes straight to 3 for 15 20 mins
    before picking up the 3G signal, despite the fact that I am in an excellent coverage area. http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    it'll change over completely in a while. really annoying though, I had to send texts from iPhone and receive em on my old phone. keep turining off/ on your phone every couple of hours. took about 18hrs for mine to fully port over.

Anyone describe how to reset network settings on iphone 4?

Settings-General-Scroll down,Reset-Reset Network Settings

Gigiwagga wrote: »
    Scottish, this behaviour sounds very similiar to my experience with it. And often when I leave my wifi zone(home) the phone goes straight to 3 for 15 20 mins
    before picking up the 3G signal, despite the fact that I am in an excellent coverage area. http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Terrible isn't it. Completely hamstrings the phone. If it had 2g, fair enough. But no data? It's been on my desk for almost an hour, in an area with excellent, really fast 3G coverage (tested it to 3mb down recently) and it is sticking to the vodafone fallback network.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭OgreSwamp

I updated my blogpost yesterday.
    Summary is: Network reset and Roaming doesn't work. I don't have internet connection since yesterday evening.
    I went to the basement at home where there is no signal. After that I went back to my room where I have 4 bars - internet session wasn't restored automatically. Phone was in reception area last 14 hours, I've traveled from Dun Laoghaire to Ballsbridge and I still don't have an Internet.
    I CAN restore session manually, but I don't want to do it all the time. Will break contract tonite. Prefer to pay 50 more to O2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

gartcork wrote: »
    Settings-General-Scroll down,Reset-Reset Network Settings
    To repeat this did sort my 2g problem not automatically reconnecting to 3g. It's fully sorted for me but still shocking coverage in Cork City. Even when im hooked on to the 3g the download is so intermittent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement