Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭squonk

What about their smartphone customers so far? They have, it would seem, been content to let them live with no 2G data coverage for quiet a while. It's not like Apple arrived at their offices last week, dumped a box of iPhones in reception and told them they'd be selling them on launch day. They've known for quite some time that this was coming, and had plenty of time for testing, usage trials and to get any deals in place with Vodafone or anyone else to get decent data coverage on both 3G and 2G.

I decided the service was crap compared to o2 and wanted to get out as quickly as possible before my 14 days were up. I'd be very wary about waiting til the last day or two to jump ship with them. Remember, once you're in, you're in for 18 months. Long time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

squonk wrote: »
    What about their smartphone customers so far? They have, it would seem, been content to let them live with no 2G data coverage for quiet a while. It's not like Apple arrived at their offices last week, dumped a box of iPhones in reception and told them they'd be selling them on launch day. They've known for quite some time that this was coming, and had plenty of time for testing, usage trials and to get any deals in place with Vodafone or anyone else to get decent data coverage on both 3G and 2G.

I decided the service was crap compared to o2 and wanted to get out as quickly as possible before my 14 days were up. I'd be very wary about waiting til the last day or two to jump ship with them. Remember, once you're in, you're in for 18 months. Long time....

I have the Galaxy Spica and have no issue at all ...... this is why I think it is the iphone 4 software and the network not being compatible

If you're unhappy with how you've been treated by 3, document your experiences and let ComReg know about it. You can find contact information for ComReg here: http://www.askcomreg.ie/about_us/contact_us.26.LE.asp

There's no point in us all complaining on here, the only way this sort of culture of thumbing noses at customers will go away is if we inform the regulator. I'm not saying this will help, but at least they can't say they weren't told!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Thanks for letting us know, are they going to enable data on 2G or sort out the problem of the phone not switching back to 3G ??

3 are going to allow data on 2G from August 13th

I have the Galaxy Spica and have no issue at all ...... this is why I think it is the iphone 4 software and the network not being compatible

That's interesting! All the more reason though why 3 should have at least tested the iPhone on the network before launch day. I think the customers are the beta testers in this case. That's not right!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Walkman wrote: »

Source ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Source ?
    +1 Don't like getting my hopes up for nothing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭pah

I feel like we're missing something here.My problem is not that I need 2G to fall back on it's that my 3G is quite good at times in one location and all of a sudden it's gone - in the same location!
    Then it doesn't come back by itself quicly enough. The airplane toggle usually works which means there is 3G coverage where I am standing it's just not consistent.
    It's not that I'm out of 3G coverage it's that it's there one minute and gone the next.Nothing to do with 2G data.</P>-> I have to say it has got better in the last couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

pah wrote: »
    I feel like we're missing something here.My problem is not that I need 2G to fall back on it's that my 3G is quite good at times in one location and all of a sudden it's gone - in the same location!

That's my one major gripe with the iphone software, it's meant to be a 3G phone yet you can't set the network to 3G only, I don't understand why apple have left out the option. At least then the phone will hold onto 3G reception as much as possible. The option is on most other 3G phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

mine is switching over sometimes, not all the time. give them a chance to sort it, it takes apple a few weeks to sort tech issues for updates when they have a problem, and this is no different.

• Advertisement

mine is switching over sometimes, not all the time. give them a chance to sort it, it takes apple a few weeks to sort tech issues for updates when they have a problem, and this is no different.
    As long as they ARE going to sort it ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That's my one major gripe with the iphone software, it's meant to be a 3G phone yet you can't set the network to 3G only, I don't understand why apple have left out the option. At least then the phone will hold onto 3G reception as much as possible. The option is on most other 3G phones.

DM, I meant to post a reply to you a day or two back, I don't think you realise there seems to be more than one problem going around.....I posted this in another thread:

"Actually, people seem to be having one of three issues:

1) Not going to 3G automatically. It happens to me mostly when I'm leaving my house and the WiFi system. Seems to "forget" to change over to 3G. usually fixed by Airplane mode on/off.
    2) Not getting any data when there is no 3G coverage i.e. not/can't switching to GPRS. Three have told someone this will be fixed in the next week.
    3)Showing 3G active, but not getting any data. This seems to be the network over-stretched. Presumably this will get better as things settle down and they get accustomed to the demands on the system, a bit like AT&T at first in the US.

problem 1 - I think this is something Apple will have to fix, in conjunction with 3. The phone seems to forget to go back to a 3G signal - it was exactly the same on my 8GB 3G, and stephenbrow had exactly the same on his 3GS. It would suggest to me a problem in the iOS software, rather than a hardware problem. I would have thought this should be relatively easy to fix - look at iPhones on O2 and VF and see where they are different. problem is 3 have only had it OFFICIALLY for a week, and experiencing teething difficulties. In fairness, look at how long VF have had to get a decent website, and it is so bad, its like it was done by a pissed up, blind, bi-polar alco on a permanent diet of skunk - as a joke!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

I've read walkmans posts for a while regarding Three and have little reason to doubt what he says... that and it makes sense.

This is brilliant news, provided its included in the normal data allowance!

whiterebel wrote: »
    DM, I meant to post a reply to you a day or two back, I don't think you realise there seems to be more than one problem going around.....I posted this in another thread:

"Actually, people seem to be having one of three issues:

1) Not going to 3G automatically. It happens to me mostly when I'm leaving my house and the WiFi system. Seems to "forget" to change over to 3G. usually fixed by Airplane mode on/off.
    2) Not getting any data when there is no 3G coverage i.e. not/can't switching to GPRS. Three have told someone this will be fixed in the next week.
    3)Showing 3G active, but not getting any data. This seems to be the network over-stretched. Presumably this will get better as things settle down and they get accustomed to the demands on the system, a bit like AT&T at first in the US.

Most of those problems will be fixed on the 13th, you'll have data on 2G so you can finally stop looking to see are you on 2G or 3G. It will not matter. The slow speeds may be another problem you need to talk to them about that and follow it up.

I had data on 2G until about a week before the launch of the iphone 4. It's only a temporary problem, I had email data over 2G this morning but could not surf the web until I was back on 3G. I did not get upset about it I just went off doing something else.

Were you trying to use google maps leaving the house?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Lads, does anyone have a number for the 3 store in Carlow? I've looked everywhere (online and real world) and cant seem to find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

2g fixed on the 13th, the day that most of us run out of our cooling period, .....skeptical

iPwnage wrote: »
    2g fixed on the 13th, the day that most of us run out of our cooling period, .....skeptical

3 stores were told today it was going to be the 13th. It's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Good to hear that they're addressing the issue. Would be nice to hear something official though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

conjon wrote: »
    Not trying to change the thread topic, but I thought I'd share my experience with Three and their service...My IPhone arrived minus sim yesterday, which meant a trip to Liffey Valley yesterday evening. This wasn't a huge issue as I've been using a basic Nokia for the last 6 months waiting for the IPhone 4 to arrive, but still took an hour there and back and another 40 minutes in the shop while the shop called Support to get the sim sorted...

As I've been a Three customer for about 4 years now, when I ordered the phone on Monday I did have to upgrade to the new Classic package. Anyway this evening I tried logging on to the internet via 3G, and received a message saying that I had exhausted my credit limit. I've been on to the Customer Services team in India and was then transferred to the Upgrade team in Waterford. I have been advised that my new tariff doesn't take effect until my next billing date (Aug 19th), and that I've exceeded my credit limit of Euro 370, meaning that I've used Euro 60 on internet usuage since yesterday. To say that I'm annoyed by this would be an understatement....Three are going to review the call from Monday when I ordered the phone. So a warning to anyone upgrading.

I've read all 25 pages of this thread today, and while I haven't been able to use alot of the apps via 3G today, I was holding off on doing anything until I tested the phone down home in Laois over the weekend...Right now, I'm so pissed with Three I'm thinking of returning the phone to them next week irrespective.

Conor

Feel for you dude. Its unfortunate that you were not made aware of exactly when your original contract ended and when your new one began. Let us know how you get on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭a1000pigeons

Have to say I am reasonably happy with three so far -

. Good pricing on contract
    . At home and many places, getting quite consistent fast internet access
    . No experience of 'grip of death' or whatever it's called
    . Absolutely no problem with voice calls
    . Have, expect on one or two occasional exceptions, been able to access the internet.

But...

I would certainly wish to have data support on 2G and 3G switching on automatically when preferable (without airport on/off). Also, while I have a modem from 3 for home internet that works adequately but sometimes I've found that when I'm using it, my iPhone's 3G slows down. This is annoying if my girlfriend is using her laptop and I wish to browse myself, as I am still paying for two services.

Having said that I would be more than willing to stay with them if in fact these are merely teething problems, and I would hope we can hear some official confirmation soon as I think 3 have an amazing opportunity to shine here if they can make the effort .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭thomasj

iPwnage wrote: »

Can anyone clarify how long the cooling off period is? Carphone warehouse told me it was seven days for 3 fourteen for o2 and vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭noellinnane

I'm not having any issues with getting 3G reception anymore!!

In fact, I have never been able to get a 3G signal at home, in Kilcock, but I have 3 bars 3G as I speak!

When I was originally setting up the phone I set it up from a back up of my 3GS. So night before last I reset the phone in iTunes and set up as a new phone, downloaded the carrier settings. Then I reset the network settings. Then in carrier I set it to automatic.

It definitely drops to 2G less since then, and when it has it has reconnected to 3G a few minutes later. It actually reconnected to 3G in a few seconds earlier today!

I do still have one issue however, and this is really annoying!!! Sometime, even when I have a full 3G signal it doesnt connect to internet, or it idles for a while. So still need to switch airport mode on and off....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

slasher_65 wrote: »
    After 10 minutes on the phone with Three, it seems that the guy on the other end had no idea what I was talking about when it comes to the FaceTime international SMS messages being sent to 00447786205094. He just kept asking over and over again if I had sent international text messages to phones in the UK. I said that I did, and told him the phone number of the one that I had sent, and he then said that billing would get back to me about it, but I would have to pay charges for all texts that I sent. I almost RAGED at that point, because I had explained over and over again that I had not sent those texts.

Oh well, let's see what Billing says.

But you did - (or secretly your iPhone did) because you clicked 'ok' on the 'Your carrier may charge for SMS messages used to activate video calling' box.

Don't worry..... I've been on the phone to those Indian guys and they know nothing about how Facetime works and the fact that it sends those texts!

On a side note I love the OP's rather dramatic name on this thread. I half expected the first post to say 'If you use an iPhone on 3 you're gonna die'!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

I was in the '3' shop today in Cork, explaining the issues I was having, the manager told me that the cooling off period was extended a further 14 days, that network updates would be in place on the 13th of August which, they guarantee will improve coverage 100% and also allow data on 2g(3). I asked if I needed that in writing, he asked me to wait and if there wasn't a massive improvement from then I could return my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Gigiwagga wrote: »
    I was in the '3' shop today in Cork, explaining the issues I was having, the manager told me that the cooling off period was extended a further 14 days, that network updates would be in place on the 13th of August which, they guarantee will improve coverage 100% and also allow data on 2g(3). I asked if I needed that in writing, he asked me to wait and if there wasn't a massive improvement from then I could return my phone.

Its quite encouraging that that specific info about the 13th has filtered down to store management level.
    Either that or the guy is on boards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭stephenbrow

I asked the 3 store in swords and they said they never heard anything. They called 3 And were told they had heard nothing of an issue with the iPhones. Ha ha. What a joke. Best company EVER lol

I asked the 3 store in swords and they said they never heard anything. They called 3 And were told they had heard nothing of an issue with the iPhones. Ha ha. What a joke. Best company EVER lol

Are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

3store Henry St confirmed the 2G data on the 13th today to me today.
    Said they received an email yesterday about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Why is it then I can currently switch to 2G on my phone (Desire) and get data access (I see the signal showing as roaming and using GPRS). Is this a specific iPhone problem?

I hope that this finally encourages Three to roll out the additional coverage for non-3G areas where they have to rely on Vodafone. The Networks, including Three, don't seem to be very concerned about patching up weak coverage areas in the name of profitability.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement