Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Why is it then I can currently switch to 2G on my phone (Desire) and get data access (I see the signal showing as roaming and using GPRS). Is this a specific iPhone problem?.

AFAIK data on 2G is not officially allowed currently, how you and others can I have no idea because I never could, but from what I was told today it will officially be allowed on 13th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

I asked the 3 store in swords and they said they never heard anything. They called 3 And were told they had heard nothing of an issue with the iPhones. Ha ha. What a joke. Best company EVER lol

they obviously didnt try very hard to find out. my brother works for 3 and i just told him about this thread. he said they were all aware of the problem and were sent an email, the same email that a previous poster said they were shown from head office.

He said the problem could be fixed on Monday they just said the 13th to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭pah

That's just Human Nature i'd say - how many stores have you walked into to ask about product X which is advertised in the window only to be returned a blank expression. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

gibson wrote: »
    they obviously didnt try very hard to find out. my brother works for 3 and i just told him about this thread. he said they were all aware of the problem and were sent an email, the same email that a previous poster said they were shown from head office.

He said the problem could be fixed on Monday they just said the 13th to be on the safe side.
    Here's hoping for Monday so !!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Whats the diff in 2g and Edge, like 02 has?

Thinking of moving to 3 but when I read this thread, maybe best to stay

• Advertisement

gibson wrote: »

My point exactly.

At this stage, it's hard to believe Stephen Brow to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if he gets sued by 3 at some stage in the near future...

I could very well be wrong here but he just sounds like one of *THOSE* clients/customers...if anyone gets me...

...Or he could just work for Meteor...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Why is it then I can currently switch to 2G on my phone (Desire) and get data access (I see the signal showing as roaming and using GPRS). Is this a specific iPhone problem?

I hope that this finally encourages Three to roll out the additional coverage for non-3G areas where they have to rely on Vodafone. The Networks, including Three, don't seem to be very concerned about patching up weak coverage areas in the name of profitability.

I asked the manager if the changes were an Apple or a '3' initiative and he said they (the managers weren't privy to that information but that it was coming and should have drastic improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

savic04 wrote: »
    Whats the diff in 2g and Edge, like 02 has?

Thinking of moving to 3 but when I read this thread, maybe best to stay

EGPRS (Edge) while slow can still be tolerable if you're not in a hurry and loading too much data, GPRS on the other hand is absolutely worthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

To be honest, if they get this 2G issue sorted - three will be a pretty stable network, considering the mass majority of complaints is lack of internet network coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Black Beard

he just sounds like one of *THOSE* clients/customers...if anyone gets me...

Ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Anyone having problems with porting i called 3 this morning to port my number from meteor but it is like the process has not even been started as both new and old phones are still working.

Furp, were you on billpay? Next question is, have you paid your previous bill if so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭squonk

Furp wrote: »
    Anyone having problems with porting i called 3 this morning to port my number from meteor but it is like the process has not even been started as both new and old phones are still working.

Took me at least a day. I asked them not to port my number as I wanted out of my contract within the first 24 hours. Initially they had 'technical issues' porting my number during the first day of my contract. By day 2 I wanted out and told them I'd like to stop the port process. They said fine, but then ported my number anyway. lt was the second day before any activity happened and a third day before the port was complete. Now reversed ported back to o2 again. Whew! You might see something happening today Furp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Having some problems with itunes and the app store, a lot of the time when I click on an album or app, a bunch of html shows up on the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

have three got an EDGE network, afaik vodafone dont so if ya lose 3G it will just go back to GPRS

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭stephenbrow

My point exactly.

At this stage, it's hard to believe Stephen Brow to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if he gets sued by 3 at some stage in the near future...

I could very well be wrong here but he just sounds like one of *THOSE* clients/customers...if anyone gets me...

...Or he could just work for Meteor...

You id*** if you dont belive me, get of the thread I started it you ****, I have an iPhone 4 on three, I got for free bacause this issue is goin on years, they said it would be fixed about 3 weeks ago with the carrier update and it wasnt so they cancelled my 2 month old 3GS contract and I got a free iphone4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

You idiot if you dont belive me, get of the thread I started it you fool, I have an iPhone 4 on three, I got for free bacause this issue is goin on years, they said it would be fixed about 3 weeks ago with the carrier update and it wasnt so they cancelled my 2 month old 3GS contract and I got a free iphone4.

IDIOT
    thats personal abuse, gonna get ya a slap on the wrists

ShaneU wrote: »
    Having some problems with itunes and the app store, a lot of the time when I click on an album or app, a bunch of html shows up on the screen.

I got that once, I would say thats just an issue with the app, cant remember what one it was....

guil wrote: »
    thats personal abuse, gonna get ya a slap on the wrists
    tempted to delete it, but he is....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 standeman

Unfortunately, I am returning my iPhone 4 back to Three. For anyone who is interested, here is my story.

I had previously been with Three for about 2 1/2 years. I had a Nokia N80 and then a N95. I never really used the Internet on these devices (I found the screen too small and the data bundles were expensive back then) but was more than happy with the voice/text service. Being English, the fact that I could use my bundled units to call relatives and friends back home was another bonus, not to mention the excellent 3 Like Home service whilst in the UK. I only had reason to call customer services once (when I was upgrading to the N95) and I did find them infuriating to deal with. All in all, though, my experience with Three was positive.

I then decided to get an iPhone 3GS and, as Three were not offering them at the time, I went with O2. Coverage was excellent and customer service was good. The only downside was the plans were fairly expensive.

Having been able to get out of my contract with O2, I decided to go for the iPhone 4. Three’s prices were very good and I wanted to take advantage of the UK benefits again. I researched the areas, via their coverage map, that I would use most frequently for accessing the Internet on the phone. It appeared that everywhere I went, or was likely to go, was covered. I therefore decided to jump ship again and ordered online.

I received the phone a week ago and noticed almost immediately a problem with the 3G signal dropping off and failing to return. It was only when I started to Google this problem that I found I was not alone. The boards.ie threads were particularly useful and there were lots of tips and advice for possible solutions. I tried all of them – Airplane mode off/on, reset network settings, full restore via iTunes, turning phone off/on, carrier settings automatic/manual, data roaming on/off, old/new carrier settings etc. Sometimes they worked, and I would think it was all sorted, only to experience the problem again later in the day.

After 15 years with Nokia’s, I found the iPhone interface a joy and I love everything about the phone. The main reason that I am prepared to commit to an 18 month plan and pay a high monthly fee is for the ability to access the Internet on the move. It was possible with O2 on the iPhone and I expected it to be with Three. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, this was not the case.

I therefore contacted Three customer services. It seemed nothing had changed in the intervening years since I last had this pleasure. I was passed to technical support and then to iPhone support but, after going through all the things I had tried previously, I was eventually put through to sales/billing where I was able to return the phone. At no time was I told that this was a known problem or that they were working on a solution. They just kept reiterating that, according to their coverage map, I was always in an area of good 3G service when I had experienced the problems. The highlight of these interactions was when, having gone through all the issues and actually calling them on the actual device in question, they asked me if I had used the phone at all.

I really couldn’t trust that that they would sort this issue out, having not been able to even acknowledge it, and the last thing I wanted was to have to put up with this intermittent 3G service for the next 18 months.

I am now looking at Vodafone. Although expensive compared to Three, they do have the benefit of being able to use your 2GB bundled data for international data roaming. This would be very useful for me. Or maybe I might see if O2 will take me back.

For anyone not experiencing the 3G issue with Three, I wish I hadn’t either. It is a pain having to switch carrier twice in a week. For those that are experiencing the problem and are holding on waiting for Three to find a solution, I hope they do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Thanks for posting a balanced and informative account of your Three experience. Before you jump to vodafone you should have a look here! [url]Http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055992860[/url]
    Myself, I decided to sign up with O2 again in the end. Though Three was tempting pricewise, you get what you pay for it seems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

yup going back to o2 also, rang them Friday no problem coming back to the network, although as i'm only gone a month i will have to wait another 60 days before being able to qualify for a discounted handset, (i was enquiring about htc desire) but she also said, if i came back in next 2 weeks, my upgrade phone status would be carried over from before when I left

3g & edge over intermittent 3g and gprs any day !!

bye bye 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 .stranger

Gave my iPhone 3G to my partner with 3Pay account. I was surprized when saw 2G GPRS traffic on my old iPhone with 3Pay SIM, but not on iPhone 4 (!). I think it's down to Three billing system, that prevents us from roaming on 3(2G) network. I don't have micro SIM on 3Pay and don't really want to cut my partner's SIM to squeeze into my iPhone, but I bet it will work with 3Pay Micro SIM.

So, promising assurance that iPhone 4 will start data roaming on 3 on the 13th - could be true, as I can't see any technical issues with that... It's down to Three to fix their billing layer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

.stranger wrote: »
    So, promising assurance that iPhone 4 will start data roaming on 3 on the 13th -
    yes but dont forget it'll be gprs data, not worth a toss really,
    one page to load could easily take 2 minutes ! forget about getting stuff from the app store, and any streaming,

people thinking when they flick that magical switch for data on 2g, things will be all good, your wrong, :eek:
    :D

They will fix it and it Will be amazing... lol...
    I really hope they do, I dont want to leave three great rates compared to O2 or the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Gave my iPhone 3G to my partner with 3Pay account. I was surprized when saw 2G GPRS traffic on my old iPhone with 3Pay SIM, but not on iPhone 4 (!). I think it's down to Three billing system, that prevents us from roaming on 3(2G) network. I don't have micro SIM on 3Pay and don't really want to cut my partner's SIM to squeeze into my iPhone, but I bet it will work with 3Pay Micro SIM.

So, promising assurance that iPhone 4 will start data roaming on 3 on the 13th - could be true, as I can't see any technical issues with that... It's down to Three to fix their billing layer.

I think you're totally spot on here. I have been using my 3pay sim inside my iPhone 4 for weeks and never had a problem. And 2G data DOES work for me (the little GPRS circle) when I'm out of 3G coverage and I find that it is actually faster than the EDGE speeds I was getting with O2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 .stranger

iPwnage wrote: »
    yes but dont forget it'll be gprs data, not worth a toss really,
    one page to load could easily take 2 minutes ! forget about getting stuff from the app store, and any streaming,

people thinking when they flick that magical switch for data on 2g, things will be all good, your wrong, :eek:
    :D

That's another issue, we are talking about roaming on 2G... the speed will be slow, right... BTW, Three uses VF infrastructure for both networks 3 and 3G :D The only different is the base station configuration for different customers (read IMSI) that could result to a signal being stronger if you are VF customer, but the coverage is the same....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

That's another issue, we are talking about roaming on 2G... the speed will be slow, right... BTW, Three uses VF infrastructure for both networks 3 and 3G :D The only different is the base station configuration for different customers (read IMSI) that could result to a signal being stronger if you are VF customer, but the coverage is the same....

Incorrect, 3 uses it's own 3G network totally separate to vodafones 3G, they may share the actual mast structure but this is the same for all the operators

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

It's really wierd the issues I am having:

Sometimes, the iPhone has 3G coverage but when I try to use Safari or any app that requires an internet connection it does not connect.

But once I tether it with my mac in the same location, the connection begins working instantly on the mac and the iPhone - with super speeds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

Something similar happening to me. Ran speedtest today, got 3.5mb download . Could I use the Internet? Nope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement