Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

well my number finally got ported even while im in the UK so im appy for the moment.

when I was on the phone to 3 support they asked me to call 1915 in future to techical problems.

also in responce to corklad32 yes the only problems I have in safari and app store is when using the 3g network, twice I have got the proxy server, and also I get a txt message asking me to prove my age yet when i filled in the for it did not work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

Does anyone know if there's any official statement from 3 with regard to 2g/edge/gprs being allowed on the network, having a 3G signal and not being able to download and a fix with the problem of not returning to 3G after losing the signal?? Official now, not hearsay.

I'm having a love/hate relationship at the moment with 3, but if things don't improve by the 13th I'm going to cancel my contract. I am hoping that these are teething problems and will be fixed in time but the silence from 3 is deafening.

I'm willing to give you a shot 3....but please...let me know you are listening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

gartcork wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's any official statement from 3 with regard to 2g/edge/gprs being allowed on the network, having a 3G signal and not being able to download and a fix with the problem of not returning to 3G after losing the signal?? Official now, not hearsay.

I'm having a love/hate relationship at the moment with 3, but if things don't improve by the 13th I'm going to cancel my contract. I am hoping that these are teething problems and will be fixed in time but the silence from 3 is deafening.

I'm willing to give you a shot 3....but please...let me know you are listening!!

+100000000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

gartcork wrote: »

I sent them a mail today on their online form telling them about boards.ie and the issues being discussed. Also mentioned that o2 and Vodafone have a presence here that is widely used and appreciated by their customers and it would be appreciated if they could do something similar.

Doubt they'll give a toss, but worth a shot.

Saw a thread on o2 forum about them not charging for facetime texts that people were billed for. Does anyone know what 3 plan on doing for this?

I think that I've figured out why you sometimes get good 3g signal strength, and decent download speeds but not internet connection.

I think it happens when you change server. I've been monitoring this all day, and I've noticed that this happens when the server changes from Eircom to Digiweb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

How do you check which server it's using?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

So I rang at 11ish, complained that after 5 days, my number had still not been ported. They complained profusely and, after being put on hold three times and transfered around, was told I would definitely be ported in 15 minutes.

4 hours later, still no port. I'm beginning to regret my decision to change to 3.

EDIT: Now in a call and on hold again. According to my account, the number had been ported. CC guy got me to reboot the phone, then tried to ring me. Still no luck.

EDIT 2: So the guy says he'll escalate it again. Said it might be due to a technical problem they had on Thursday (wish they had warned me about this on Friday). When I asked for an extension of the cooling off period, he said i had to ring the shop. I just got through to Henry St after trying to ring for an hour. Then took me five minute to explain the situation to the guy using short sentence and small words. Said he couldn't deal with me on the phone and that I must come into the shop.

Am now _very_ sorry I went to these muppets.

P.

It tells you if you use Speedtest.

In the top right hand corner of the app it''ll say "Server: Dublin; Hosted by Eircom"

Although just occurred to me that these might be speedtests servers? Anyone have any idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

fbradyirl wrote: »
    How do you check which server it's using?

On the Top right hand corner of speedtest app.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

corklad32 wrote: »
    What is the story with this? I think it's another 3 problem yawn as i have yet to see it using wifi but have seen it loads on 3 3g. Would this be right?

Its a three data issue. More here and here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Scottish wrote: »
    It tells you if you use Speedtest.

In the top right hand corner of the app it''ll say "Server: Dublin; Hosted by Eircom"

Although just occurred to me that these might be speedtests servers? Anyone have any idea?

Yeah, they are just servers it uses to test Download speeds, they are not the servers your internet connection goes through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

thomasj wrote: »
    I used,083 3333333

You will be charged for calling that number (or else your flexi units), the free one is 1913

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

slasher_65 wrote: »
    I couldn't get access to the APN settings. Any other ideas?

Well, you can edit the APN by visiting unlockit.co.nz on your iPhone - but I couldn't get it to work anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Brutal 3g service outside Cork during Sunday, lost it 3 miles out of Cork heading to Kinsale, didnt pick up a 3G signal again until parking in Kinsale, lost it again 1 mile farside of Kinsale. Does 94% coverage mean everywhere except where I am. Fairly unusable, as an internet service frankly, certainly NOT as advertised.
    The iPhone 4 is great, the 3 service is s***e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Just wondering, are the majority of these problems with ported numbers? Anyone with new 3 numbers getting these probs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Just called 3's customer care for the first time. In under 9 minutes (including hold time), I have cancelled my account. I'm impressed both that they're handling cancellations at 8.30PM, and that it was as easy as it was.

I have to return the handset to the retail store where I bought it before Friday (i.e. before the 14 day cooling off period expires) and I'm done!

It's a great shame that Three have the problems that they do, as their pricing really is fantastic. Unfortunately, the bad network and snotty retail staff who don't understand consumer law forces me back to o2, even if it does cost me a tad more.

snappieT wrote: »
    Just called 3's customer care for the first time. In under 9 minutes (including hold time), I have cancelled my account. I'm impressed both that they're handling cancellations at 8.30PM, and that it was as easy as it was.

I have to return the handset to the retail store where I bought it before Friday (i.e. before the 14 day cooling off period expires) and I'm done!

It's a great shame that Three have the problems that they do, as their pricing really is fantastic. Unfortunately, the bad network and snotty retail staff who don't understand consumer law forces me back to o2, even if it does cost me a tad more.

That's a pity, I seem to be one of the few who are having no problems at all with 3. Not sure what to make of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Took my iPhone 4 on its first road trip today.

Left Carlow at about 5pm with patchy 3G. Lost all signal till I hit Kilcullen 25 minutes later. Lost signal again leaving Kilcullen, and had no 3G again till I was in the centre of Newbridge. Lost signal again leaving Newbridge, and had no 3G till I got back to Carlow around 8pm.

Seriously thinking of canceling at this stage. There are only 2 things stopping me;
    1. I wont be needing 3G on the move, and I can get consistent 3G in my house and in work (ironically, I dont really need it in either place as I'll have wi-fi), and
    2. I honestly believe 3 will get better over the next few months.

I'll sleep on it over the next few days and see how I feel on Thursday. Very poor show by 3 on this ... big own goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It drops network and stays on 3 rather than 3G, So then when you want to use the net, you have to search for networks and select 3G and try get that connected.

That's exactly what's been happening for me ever since the iPhone 4 became available on 3.

have had an iPhone 3GS on 3 for the past 3 months and it WAS brilliant... was loving it until then... am now QUITE annoyed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Well, looks like the Monday rumour for having 2G access was a bit of a damp squib.
    Will spend my lunch time on the phone again, perhaps. Might insist being transferred to Dublin if I can, to talk about the fact that there has been no official word about this and how it effects the legitimacy of our contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Lot of people blaming 3's network here, has it dawned on anybody yet it may be a problem with the phone on the network and not actually the network itself. I used an xperia x10 for a few days while my iphone was getting repaired, needless to say i'm staying with 3 but i'm not going to be using my iphone anymore as the week without it showed me how rubbish at being a phone it actually was. Ok there's a few apps I can't use anymore but at least I can make a phone call when needed.

Well, looks like the Monday rumour for having 2G access was a bit of a damp squib.
    Will spend my lunch time on the phone again, perhaps. Might insist being transferred to Dublin if I can, to talk about the fact that there has been no official word about this and how it effects the legitimacy of our contracts.

I'm sure the rumour was for next Monday, someone mentioned in a post in this thread that it even could be Friday 13th. Page 28 I Think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Lot of people blaming 3's network here, has it dawned on anybody yet it may be a problem with the phone on the network and not actually the network itself. I used an xperia x10 for a few days while my iphone was getting repaired, needless to say i'm staying with 3 but i'm not going to be using my iphone anymore as the week without it showed me how rubbish at being a phone it actually was. Ok there's a few apps I can't use anymore but at least I can make a phone call when needed.
    This is the Apple forum so I think people care more about the phone than the network, and the fact there isn't iPhone 4 WARNING threads for O2 or Vodafone means it is a network problem first and foremost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Dades wrote: »
    This is the Apple forum so I think people care more about the phone than the network, and the fact there isn't iPhone 4 WARNING threads for O2 or Vodafone means it is a network problem first and foremost.

Chatting with people on O2 and Vodafone about these issues, it seems that they are not happening on these networks. So they are Three issues.

However, Vodafone apparently don't HAVE an EDGE network at all, but at least the iPhones on that network stick with 3G when they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

naasrd wrote: »
    I'm sure the rumour was for next Monday, someone mentioned in a post in this thread that it even could be Friday 13th. Page 28 I Think.

Rumour was for yesterday, was in three shop yesterday to get some screen protectors and assistant told me that they are doing network upgrade midnight and if not today than Thursday will be fix.
    I don't have any problem with 3 yet anyway, getting full signal 3g and full speed Internet.

The quality of the network varies wildly.

While I have to say that today has been better than yesterday (which was terrible), the network can go from having speeds of 3.5mb down to as low as 290kbps down today.

It's holding onto 3g much better than it did.

But in the absence of anything official, its hard to say if this is all just part of the instability of the network.

Still getting the text read out issue in the appstore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I just got hit by the proxy while trying to access UrbanDictionary.com. This is rediculious. Does anybody have a way of getting around the proxy?
    Can't go on 4chan or sickipedia either. Work on wifi but not 3G, says "this page is unavailable to view"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't know a massive amount about the minutae of GSM networks, but the key here seems to be that Three's 2G/2.5G coverage is provided by Vodafone. They're effectively a MVNO on Vodafone's network for 2G coverage.

So when you're outside of 3G coverage for 3, you're on an entirely different network.

The problem occurs when you get back into coverage for 3 - your phone will spot two different networks which it can connect to - Vodafone's and Three's. This is different to O2 and Vodafone customers, who will *always* only have a single network they may connect to.

In most cases, it would appear that the iPhone opts to stick with the network that it's currently on and will not switch to another network unless the signal strength on the other network is better than the one it's currently on.
    Again, Vodafone and O2 customers don't experience this problem because there's no switching of *physical* networks involved, only the type of signal/network.

It's likely a software issue that Apple will have to fix, but I don't know how common this kind of arrangement is in the rest of the world, hence why it's only come to light now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Dades wrote: »

Agree there's a network issue but the complaints mainly relates to roaming data on Vodafone but that one's fixed on friday the 13th.
    Speaking as someone who uses a lot of phones the iphone is the worst phone i've come across yet for reception, I drive a lot and it becomes pretty apparent quickly when a phone is not up to standard and the iphone isn't.

3's got the largest 3G network in the country and there are no major issues with any other phone in the range, I believe it's the iphone at fault or software or something but it is not the 3G network itself, there's more to it. Maybe i'll be proved wrong with a software update but I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

seamus wrote: »
    I don't know how common this kind of arrangement is in the rest of the world, hence why it's only come to light now.
    ah sure Paddyland exclusive problem you can be sure....:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement