Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Well i don't have any problem anyway but just wondering has anybody on bill have access to internet on 2g, I have tried but i can't so it must be Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

slasher_65 wrote: »
    I wonder if this forum will end up having it's very own 'THREE PROBLEM M-M-MEGATHREAD!' like the Midband forum. It's getting rather close to megathread status, with 513 posts!

They think it's all over... Mods...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

naasrd wrote: »
    They think it's all over... Mods...?

Oh! Oh! Oh! Maybe if we make it stupidly long enough with valid complaints, we will get in the papers like that other one did! Three being shown up in the national media for the same issues (basically) TWICE? That's gotta hurt.

Oh! Oh! Oh! Maybe if we make it stupidly long enough with valid complaints, we will get in the papers like that other one did! Three being shown up in the national media for the same issues (basically) TWICE? That's gotta hurt.

Huh? When did that Happen???

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

Just off the phone with 3.....THEY RANG ME!!!

It was in relation to an email I sent them about the problems. They do Listen....;)

Basically he wanted to hear of all the issues first hand...didn't offer a fix yet but said that they would sort them out.

He also asked about O2 and Vodafone having a representative on boards....hopefully they'll follow suit.

He didn't confirm anything about a deal with Vodafone for 2G on Friday the 13th. :(

Overall, no answers yet, but they are aware of the problems and are working on fixing them.

I would suggest (again) that everyone with issues email them to make sure they keep on top of it.

customer.services.ie@3mail.com

• Advertisement

Huh? When did that Happen???

It happened with THIS thread, which is about 15 times the size of this one. It was sort of hilarious, in a train crash kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

I updated the carrier settings again (even though they were at 7.1).

Just tried to update the Daft app.

Sits waiting for an age. Decided to run speedtest (again).

5 Bars of 3G - 0kbps down....

Then it comes on again for about 2 minutes.... and gone again.

It's now so bad that speedtest can't even get it's server list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

It happened with THIS thread, which is about 15 times the size of this one. It was sort of hilarious, in a train crash kind of way.

Wow, 3 years and still running?

Scottish wrote: »
    I updated the carrier settings again (even though they were at 7.1).

Just tried to update the Daft app.

Sits waiting for an age. Decided to run speedtest (again).

5 Bars of 3G - 0kbps down....

Then it comes on again for about 2 minutes.... and gone again

Try sending an email. So far, it seems that although it takes them a day or two, they DO pay attention to those, and put you on to the people who are best qualified to answer questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭pah

gartcork wrote: »
    Friday the 13th

:eek:

Incidentally my iPhone build is week 29. 3G switching problems etc and all the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

Try sending an email. So far, it seems that although it takes them a day or two, they DO pay attention to those, and put you on to the people who are best qualified to answer questions.

I'm going to - that speedtest app is great, you can send all the history to someone in an excel file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Things really improved yesterday but they're back to being crap once again...

50268360.png

50461898.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

So I always get a good 3G signal in work. So while I was sitting here I disabled 3G, a gprs circle briefly flashed up but quickly went away leaving me with no data access. So I turned back on 3G expecting, as it did on o2, for my 3G signal to come flying back. It took about 5 minutes to come back, toggling the Airplane mode made no difference.

In fact as I write this I have lost 3G again. It is definitely not reliable after it loses a 3G connection. I am on 3 Ireland 7.1 so according to them I should be sorted.

Did they say that the 7.1 should fix the coming back onto 3G quicker or have Edge type data?

Edit: Ok, 3G wasn't coming back on so I changed my Carrier from Automatic to 3 3G and it came back immediately. This is what they said to do to someone here so what carrier settings are others using?

This time when I turned 3G off and back on I didn't get 3G back immediately but toggling Airplane did bring it back straight away unlike when it was on Automatic.

Why can't they be more like o2, never had a single issue with their data. Just their charges.

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Things really improved yesterday but they're back to being crap once again...

50268360.png
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Now that's impressive. Imagine what a network 3 would be if this was consistent

50461898.png

This.....not so much

NothingMan wrote: »
    So I always get a good 3G signal in work. So while I was sitting here I disabled 3G, a gprs circle briefly flashed up but quickly went away leaving me with no data access. So I turned back on 3G expecting, as it did on o2, for my 3G signal to come flying back. It took about 5 minutes to come back, toggling the Airplane mode made no difference.

In fact as I write this I have lost 3G again. It is definitely not reliable after it loses a 3G connection. I am on 3 Ireland 7.1 so according to them I should be sorted.

Did they say that the 7.1 should fix the coming back onto 3G quicker or have Edge type data?

7.1 is what I have now and have had from day 1. How can it magically fix the problem surely we need a 8.0, a 7.2 or at least a 7.1.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

pah wrote: »
    7.1 is what I have now and have had from day 1. How can it magically fix the problem surely we need a 8.0, a 7.2 or at least a 7.1.1

True, I had never checked before so I assumed there was updates pushed out at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

NothingMan wrote: »
    True, I had never checked before so I assumed there was updates pushed out at some point.

If they push something out it will be a carrier update via itunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Chatting with people on O2 and Vodafone about these issues, it seems that they are not happening on these networks. So they are Three issues.

However, Vodafone apparently don't HAVE an EDGE network at all, but at least the iPhones on that network stick with 3G when they can.

Not on 3, but I used to be a few years ago and used to have similar issues with a Nokia N95. Dropping off from 3G and going to the dataless 2G.

I have 2 iPhone4s which I use regularly and while travelling, one with O2 and one with Vodafone, and neither exhibits this kind of issue at all. At home, with Vodafone when in my office the phone will happily sacrifice 5 bars 2G reception and connect to 1 bar of 3G when available, which is good!
    Someone else here mentioned driving Carlow - Dublin. I've done this a few times and on my Vodafone handset have been able to keep an internet radio stream on 3G going almost the entire way, with only one or two short dropouts.

I do not think there is any special setting in the carrier file that will fix this problem - I certainly have never seen anything in a carrier file that could contribute to or help with this problem.
    Also, I do not see how switching on Data Roaming can actually help as Vodafone's network ID is in the carrier file already, so the phone should treat it as a local network.

However, on the topic of the network ID, I'm just thinking out loud that maybe this is related to the issue. Vodafone is 272 01, whereas '3' is 272 04. Could it be so simple that the iPhone prefers to go with what comes first?

These kind of roaming agreements exist all over the world so it's nothing unusual. Maybe the implementation that 3 Ireland have is somewhat unique. Even AT&T have such roaming agreements with smaller GSM providers in the US (mainly mid-western states) and I've never had or seen people have issues like these.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Johnzy Fitzgerald

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    If they push something out it will be a carrier update via itunes.

I got my 7.1 carrier update over the air a few days ago. No need to connect to iTunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Does anyone else have a problem where as in you can't connect to 3G on your mobile device until you tether? the 3G icon is there but your request times out on safari but once you join it to your computer it magically works again?

very strange issue..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I only got my iphone 4 on Saturday, but so far no issues at all with it, as far as Three are concerned, but my Mail app crashes often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Mine is week 31. Just got it today, but so far so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Sorry if this has been asked already but I received my 3 iPhone 4 last Friday after switching from Vodafone.

Am I able to get out of this contract at all? 3G signal is terrible as soon as I go inside anywhere and its dropped phone signal a couple of times too.

Not sure of their T&C's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

Far as I know you have 14 days to bring it back !!
    TBH, I haven't had any real issues with them apart from a couple of stupid charges on my first bill and a general loss of all signal in Bettystown !!!

Been fairly okay so far

MrTrebus
    Sorry if this has been asked already but I received my 3 iPhone 4 last Friday after switching from Vodafone.

Am I able to get out of this contract at all? 3G signal is terrible as soon as I go inside anywhere and its dropped phone signal a couple of times too.

Not sure of their T&C's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Not sure of their T&C's

yes your can return it, 3 can only do a like for like exchange as well so they won't be able to give you a handset that is better for reception unless you take out a new contract when canceling the current one.

Anyone happy to have moved because there saving money but having coverage issues should really look at moving away from iphone unless you really really have to have one.

3's 3G coverage is really good, it's way better than vodafone's, the iphone is just not the best phone for picking up the network. The cheapest phone on the network the inq mini is better for coverage, fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

3's 3G coverage is really good, it's way better than vodafone's, network

that is not correct.

vodafone have better coverage in terms of 3g, as they have many more masts than 3.

ingen wrote: »
    that is not correct.

vodafone have better coverage in terms of 3g, as they have many more masts than 3.

No they don't, 3 has the largest 3G network in the country by a long shot, have a look at some coverage maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

No they don't, 3 has the largest 3G network in the country by a long shot, have a look at some coverage maps.
    Their coverage maps musn't include inside buildings then!! I just switched from Vodafone and it was far far better than them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

#

well the tests i did with a 3 sim on 3g, in main areas along m1, 3 signal was patchy. maybe in city centre its good.. but i have found vodafone to have great 3g signal.. and well covered too.. way better than 3 in areas outside dublin. if their network is so good, and anywhere close to their coverage map... then why do you have to roam on vodafone

• Advertisement

ingen wrote: »
    #

well the tests i did with a 3 sim on 3g, in main areas along m1, 3 signal was patchy. maybe in city centre its good.. but i have vodafone to have great 3g signal.. and well covered too.. way better than 3 in areas outside dublin.

Did you do that test with a 3phone or just a sim it can make a big difference, outside of dublin Vodafone's 3G coverage is pretty sparse outside main towns.

It would be good to see some hard facts about 3G coverage from all the networks. All that you have to go by is their coverage maps, but 3 are heading for 100% 3G coverage by the end of the year. I'd say vodafone are lucky if there at 50%.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement