Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Okay, I've only recently gotten my iPhone 4 on 3.

I am having 3G issues.... in fact, I rarely have a 3G signal... it's always just 3. Now it doesn't bother me all that much because I'm in WiFi areas about 80% of the day. But still, it's not good enough.

I really don't want to go through this entire thread to find out all the issues and possible solutions.
    Would anyone mind giving me a quick summary of what's gone on here? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

ingen wrote: »
    that is not correct.

vodafone have better coverage in terms of 3g, as they have many more masts than 3.

Vodafone may have more masts but the majority of these are not 3G enabled. For 3G masts 3 would have more than any other operator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

jimbling wrote: »
    Okay, I've only recently gotten my iPhone 4 on 3.

I am having 3G issues.... in fact, I rarely have a 3G signal... it's always just 3. Now it doesn't bother me all that much because I'm in WiFi areas about 80% of the day. But still, it's not good enough.

I really don't want to go through this entire thread to find out all the issues and possible solutions.
    Would anyone mind giving me a quick summary of what's gone on here? :o

Go to Settings -> Carriers and select 3(3G) Manually. This definitely improved things for me. Didn't fix everything, and it can still take a few mins to pop back to 3G when lost but it did seem to look for the 3G network first and not just 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭pah

jimbling wrote: »

I am having 3G issues.... in fact, I rarely have a 3G signal... it's always just 3. Now it doesn't bother me all that much because I'm in WiFi areas about 80% of the day. But still, it's not good enough

I see you're In cork too jimbling, what part? 3G is definitely affected inside more than outside and I definitely suffer from the death grip. This causes the phone to drop 3G signal of 2-3 bars, disconnecting 3G and putting me to 2g which is basically from vodafone. 5 full ass bars of it, the death grip will reduce this to4 bars but no less. I'm hoping a combination of a bumper and a software fix from apple/three to bump the phone back to 3G without having to do it manually.

Actually my phone is JB and I use sbsettings to toggle 3G/data on/off quickly when I need it. This really helps the battery life. Like yourself I have wi-fi a lot of the time (which is 3 mobile broadband at home by the way 4 bars 3G constant service placed by the window)

From my own dealings with the problem I believe that this is a combination of iPhone antenna issue and 3 not having their own 2g network.

As there are as many 3 customers with no problems as their are with them I would also guess there is a bad batch of iPhones where the antenna problem is particularly evident.

All the 3 customers with no problems seem to be in Dublin so maybe they are dropping a bar or too but not noticing it as they have a full reception to begin with. When I am in bishops town I get 5 full bars outside on 3G the death grip will bring this down to 3 or even 2.

So I think i've answered the problem for myself at least. I'm pretty certain of my own conclusions. But I could also be full of sh1t. :o

Check out this thread swell and post up details of where/when your iPhone was built I'm trying to build up a comparison, regardless of what network you are on. There is a theory that different manufacturing weeks have different problems.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055995701

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

pah wrote: »
    I see you're In cork too jimbling, what part? 3G is definitely affected inside more than outside and I definitely suffer from the death grip. This causes the phone to drop 3G signal of 2-3 bars, disconnecting 3G and putting me to 2g which is basically from vodafone. 5 full ass bars of it, the death grip will reduce this to4 bars but no less. I'm hoping a combination of a bumper and a software fix from apple/three to bump the phone back to 3G without having to do it manually.

Actually my phone is JB and I use sbsettings to toggle 3G/data on/off quickly when I need it. This really helps the battery life. Like yourself I have wi-fi a lot of the time (which is 3 mobile broadband at home by the way 4 bars 3G constant service placed by the window)

From my own dealings with the problem I believe that this is a combination of iPhone antenna issue and 3 not having their own 2g network.

As there are as many 3 customers with no problems as their are with them I would also guess there is a bad batch of iPhones where the antenna problem is particularly evident.

All the 3 customers with no problems seem to be in Dublin so maybe they are dropping a bar or too but not noticing it as they have a full reception to begin with. When I am in bishops town I get 5 full bars outside on 3G the death grip will bring this down to 3 or even 2.

So I think i've answered the problem for myself at least. I'm pretty certain of my own conclusions. But I could also be full of sh1t. :o

Check out this thread swell and post up details of where/when your iPhone was built I'm trying to build up a comparison, regardless of what network you are on. There is a theory that different manufacturing weeks have different problems.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055995701

Sorry, but that really is not the issue. The antenna problem is not causing the network issues on three.

I have the phone showing 5 bars of 3g coverage and getting 0kbps downloads. I have exported the speedtest results to an excel sheet and will be sending them to three with a cc to comreg.

Persisting with the fallback network is also not an antenna issue. I find this to be the most irritating aspect of the three iPhone.

In fact, the antenna seems to work better for me than my 3GS - the death grip is just that, a grip you need to go out of your way to produce. In most uses it is fine. And all this stuff about later phones not having the issue hasn't been proven. I have a week 29 phone and if I want to, I can cause the bars to go down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

agreed..my phone is a week 29 one and can replicate the death grip perfectly :)
    So perfectly in fact that it completely loses the signal and also the 3g signal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

The thing about later phones not having the issue is rubbish. I have one of those later phones, and have the issue.

I just lodged an official complaint. I'd advise others to do the same, and cc comreg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Scottish wrote: »
    I just lodged an official complaint. I'd advise others to do the same, and cc comreg.

I hate to be a fly in the ointment here, but I've been down this road with 3 and comreg with my NBS connection. It is the closest thing to a huge waste of time you can get. You'll go through the entire process with comreg (which is likely to take weeks/months), and eventually they'll tell you there is nothing they can do. Their only function is to facilitate communication between you and 3 ... they cant force 3 to actually do anything.

Comreg are totally useless. And 3 already know about the iPhone issue on 3G but are unwilling to do anything. Why should they? Its just a vocal majority here on boards.ie complaining about things ... they couldnt care less about that.

Unfortunately you will be wasting your time. And I'm speaking from experience here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

Literally just off the phone with 3 customers service and they told me thy there is a fix being launches on the 13 th of this month to allow Internet access in the 2g network !!

Believe it when I see it though !!!!

Also,forget their so called coverage map too, they have Bettystown in Meath down as 100% coverage for voice and broadband coverage, I can testify there is absolutely NO 3G coverage down there whatsoever !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

MrTrebus wrote: »
    Literally just off the phone with 3 customers service and they told me thy there is a fix being launches on the 13 th of this month to allow Internet access in the 2g network !!

Also,forget their so called coverage map too, they have Bettystown in Meath down as 100% coverage for voice and broadband coverage, I can testify there is absolutely NO 3G coverage down there whatsoever !!!

Thing is, I wonder will the transition from 3G to 2G network coverage be smooth, as I think it's accentually disconnecting from one network to join another.

Then you have grounds to insist that they let you out of the contract since you joined having been informed that they had coverage in your area. Remember to take screenshots and everything of the coverage map, so they don't try to change it.

Does anybody know how the Three billing cycle works? Do we all get billed on the first of every month or does it happen on a cycle based on when you joined?

slasher_65 wrote: »
    Does anybody know how the Three billing cycle works? Do we all get billed on the first of every month or does it happen on a cycle based on when you joined?

It happens on a cycle based on when you joined, but if you ring 3 Customer care they should be able to configure billing to a certain date - if that is your preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

slasher_65 wrote: »

Just got my first one on Monday telling me my payment will be direct debited from account on 23rd Aug.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Delirio

I've been reading of this 13th August "fix". This is just useless.
    What we need is a stable 3G connection for data, that is it. Why do we want to data connection on 2G, which is just too slow ??!!

This is NOT a fix....but just more scam form Three...

Delirio wrote: »
    What we need is a stable 3G connection for data, that is it. Why do we want to data connection on 2G, which is just too slow ??!!

ey, ey - hold up there.

It's hardly a scam when they aren't obliged to enable a 2G network - and 2G GPRS can be slow, but it's not the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Delirio wrote: »

It is hardly a scam. If they have a stable 2G/Edge fallback I'll be happy. I was on o2 with my 3G for 2 years and when I'm out and about all I really need is emails or the odd Google check and 2G is fine for that.

As long as I have 3G where it's available and it doesn't stick with the 2G for no apparent reason, I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Delirio

NothingMan wrote: »
    It is hardly a scam. If they have a stable 2G/Edge fallback I'll be happy. I was on o2 with my 3G for 2 years and when I'm out and about all I really need is emails or the odd Google check and 2G is fine for that.

As long as I have 3G where it's available and it doesn't stick with the 2G for no apparent reason, I'll be happy.

Well, if I buy a smartphone from a company which supposedly should have the widest coverage of 3G in Ireland I expect my smartphone to run on a 3G network like Usain Bolt runs on a track race ! :)
    But I am not happy if the company tells me: "Sometimes Usain Bolt is not available to run, you need to go with Mr. Paddy*".

That is not an answer or fix for me, I pretend to have Usain Bolt all the time. Otherwise I go back to my hold phone, 2G network, SMS/MMS and pay a heck lot less on my monthly plan.

*Mr Paddy = fictional character ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Kevin! wrote: »
    ey, ey - hold up there.

It's hardly a scam when they aren't obliged to enable a 2G network - and 2G GPRS can be slow, but it's not the worst.

agreed - i would be delighted with that.

i'm on bill- still no improvement

• Advertisement

ToadVine wrote: »
    I hate to be a fly in the ointment here, but I've been down this road with 3 and comreg with my NBS connection. It is the closest thing to a huge waste of time you can get. You'll go through the entire process with comreg (which is likely to take weeks/months), and eventually they'll tell you there is nothing they can do. Their only function is to facilitate communication between you and 3 ... they cant force 3 to actually do anything.

Comreg are totally useless. And 3 already know about the iPhone issue on 3G but are unwilling to do anything. Why should they? Its just a vocal majority here on boards.ie complaining about things ... they couldnt care less about that.

Unfortunately you will be wasting your time. And I'm speaking from experience here.

That's depressing, but not unexpected.

However, just going on about it here, while it's good to get it off your chest and warn other potential customers, isn't going to amount to much either.

At least this forces them to respond in some way.

And if Comreg say "we can't do anything" then I'll be off to the Irish Times consumer section. Peddling a sub-standard service on what is a premium, expensive device isn't on.

Kevin! wrote: »

Its not right that 3's coverage maps seem to bear no relationship to reality (my area shows full coverage on the map, but I'm getting nothing at all ... 1 bar reception and no 3G).

Its also not right that 3 would sell the iPhone when they must have known these problems existed.

So maybe not a "scam", but definitely dishonest and not fair play by 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ToadVine wrote: »
    Its not right that 3's coverage maps seem to bear no relationship to reality (my area shows full coverage on the map, but I'm getting nothing at all ... 1 bar reception and no 3G).

There pretty accurate, i've driven a good few of them, the iphone bears no relationship to what could be considered an ordinary phone. It's plagued with problems but people who buy it won't admit the phone itself could actually be at fault.
    Ask your self why is there no big thread like this on 3 phone's until the launch of the iphone. Because most of their phones work bar the iphone.

Anyone who says there's no problem with the iphone and reception must have their head buried in the sand.

There pretty accurate, i've driven a good few of them, the iphone bears no relationship to what could be considered an ordinary phone. It's plagued with problems but people who buy it won't admit the phone itself could actually be at fault.
    Ask your self why is there no big thread like this on 3 phone's until the launch of the iphone. Because most of their phones work bar the iphone.

Anyone who says there's no problem with the iphone and reception must have their head buried in the sand.

3 should not have launched the iPhone then.

Or they should have different coverage maps showing the reality of coverage on 3G with the iPhone.

It was definitely not right of 3 to launch what was going to be their most popular product ever showing 3G coverage maps that bear no relationship to reality.

Edit : I just checked the 3 NBS coverage map for my area ... it shows full coverage, but I've had nothing but problems since getting NBS last March. In fact 3 engineers had to install an external antenna and repeater in my house before I could get ANY coverage. 3's coverage maps are a work of fiction, and thats not just with iPhone.

Haven't we been through this? Yes, there is a problem with the arial on the iPhone in that it is exposed. Nobody here is confusing shorting the arial with bad reception.

The iPhone launch brought a LOT more focus on Three from tech interested people, the type of people who visit Boards.ie and the type who would activly complain about issues.

NONE of these problems (that don't relate to somebody shorting the arial in a deathgrip) are showing up on either Vodafone or O2. If it was an issue with the phone, they would be showing up on these networks as well.

Furthermore, there have LONG been complaints about 3's reception on this very website. Please educate yourself and take a look at this five hundred and fourty page long thread about 3 data services dropping out and just breaking for no reason.

Yes, there are problems with the iPhone, but since we can see that the problems being spoken about here ONLY happen on the Three network, we can rule out these issues being with the phone. In this case, it seems that the problem is with 3 not correctly configuring the phone to use their data services they way they intend, something which they CAN fix.

Of course, you will probably dismiss this by telling yourself that I'm just an Apple loving fanboy. Or, you could investigate the issues further and see that yes, 3 are providing a sub-standard service, but seem to be working on fixing it.

Where are the Vodafone and o2 threads then?

The phone works perfectly well at picking up signals.

The problem is the way three have implemented the switch from their network to Vodafones. The problem is the way that you can get full 3g reception and still experience no internet connection (I have speedtest results that show this).

All this stuff about the antenna being the problem is BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Just to flip that worn out coin onto it's other side, maybe their head's buried in their 2gb of data a month on their perfectly working iPhone 4's...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 trueblood

I've been on an iPhone 3g, 3gs and now iPhone 4 with Three since 2008. The switching to 2g and slow switching back issue has always been there and its an iPhone issue in the way it handles roaming (2g being Vodafone) and a Three issue in that they don't have 2g masts. The lack of data on 2g is new. It only started happening when the iPhone add-ons were introduced in May and I'm sure it'll be fixed soon.
    Overall when I look at costs, coverage and service I've been very happy over the last few years.

Instead of complaining, why not join Vodafone or o2?
    Or 3 have a great 14 day return policy which maybe a lot of contributors to this thread should avail of?

Life is too short to be unhappy (unless you enjoy complaining....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

trueblood wrote: »
    I've been on an iPhone 3g, 3gs and now iPhone 4 with Three since 2008. The switching to 2g and slow switching back issue has always been there and its an iPhone issue in the way it handles roaming (2g being Vodafone) and a Three issue in that they don't have 2g masts. The lack of data on 2g is new. It only started happening when the iPhone add-ons were introduced in May and I'm sure it'll be fixed soon.
    Overall when I look at costs, coverage and service I've been very happy over the last few years.

Instead of complaining, why not join Vodafone or o2?
    Or 3 have a great 14 day return policy which maybe a lot of contributors to this thread should avail of?

Life is too short to be unhappy (unless you enjoy complaining....)

Yep I'm only with Three since Saturday, but so far am very happy.
    350 minutes, 2gb data and tethering for €40 versus my previous network which was €60 for 300 minutes, with no tethering and umpteen apn problems which did my head in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Yep I'm only with Three since Saturday, but so far am very happy.
    350 minutes, 2gb data and tethering for €40 versus my previous network which was €60 for 300 minutes, with no tethering and umpteen apn problems which did my head in.

Don't forget the free add-on which kicks in next month, Free landline etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement