Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

deep1 wrote: »
    Don't forget the free add-on which kicks in next month, Free landline etc

Yes forgot about that too.
    Plus I live near a Vodafone mast which they didn't upgrade to 3G :confused: and had bad O2 reception, while now I have 5 bars of "3" 3g reception, so I'm definitely happy at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Kilnacash

Having left O2 for 3 and their 94% 3G coverage I had the same issue most people seem to be having (living in Cork). I decided to leave after a week.
    It all went well until O2 tried to port my number back which should have taken two hours, went on for 5 days with 3 saying all the time that my number is free to port back(not the case).
    In the end I had to get a new number with O2.

Everything is working now as it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Kilnacash wrote: »
    Having left O2 for 3 and their 94% 3G coverage I had the same issue most people seem to be having (living in Cork). I decided to leave after a week.
    It all went well until O2 tried to port my number back which should have taken two hours, went on for 5 days with 3 saying all the time that my number is free to port back(not the case).
    In the end I had to get a new number with O2.

Everything is working now as it should.

O2s porting was down for nearly all of last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daveccork

i emailed three detailing my issues and enquiring about the cooling off period and possible extensions to it. i sent the email to customer.services.ie@3mail.com

is that that correct address? what address have people got the most satisfaction from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

So, an update from me. As you may recall, I phoned customer services, explained the problems, and got them to put a note on my account, saying I could go into a store.

Went into the store today, who were told by the call centre that I had refused technical support (which I had, since I already knew what the result would be, but I didn't think it'd affect my refund). I've now been sent home with my iPhone 4, and am waiting on a call from customer support who are going to diagnose the problem. I was offered an extension on the cooling off period to see how Friday's update would work for me, and I refused - I'm not paying €40/month for bloody GPRS.

It seems that the 14 day cooling off period only applies if you are experiencing confirmed network problems. And so, I pretty much have to wait until they call, and whether the intermittent problem occurs or not, pretend that it is, so I can get authorised for my refund and return to the store.

I'm disgusted having been told one thing and having something else happen. It's not the store's fault, they were lovely and seemed sick to death of having to call India. I very much suspect that if I can't actually show someone this problem actively happening, a refund won't be forthcoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Obviously there are a lot of people here with quite severe issues, i'd love to know the actual figure of new iphone 4 customers recording issues with them.
    Is it 5% or 95%? Its impossible to guage by this thread alone.

whats really getting to me is the inconsistency. i am sitting at my desk and my 3g is now faster than my wifi .... great! however earlier today (phone on same part of the desk ha ha) no 3g at all. I just cannot understand how the network can come and go so much - it changes nearly hourly and has done since monday

i have found that manually selecting the network and the airplane mode on and off has helped a great deal but the variances I am experiencing in my office are totally unbelievable

(i am based in glanmire, co. cork).

daveccork wrote: »
    whats really getting to me is the inconsistency. i am sitting at my desk and my 3g is now faster than my wifi .... great! however earlier today (phone on same part of the desk ha ha) no 3g at all. I just cannot understand how the network can come and go so much - it changes nearly hourly and has done since monday

i have found that manually selecting the network and the airplane mode on and off has helped a great deal but the variances I am experiencing in my office are totally unbelievable

(i am based in glanmire, co. cork).

The way 3G masts work is that they expand and contract as the number of users on them changes. If you have 5 bars of 3G signal at one point of the day, that may be the strongest available mast. As more users join that mast, it may drop to 4 bars, and the iPhone will instead select the 5-bar 2G network, kicking you off internet.

snappieT wrote: »
    The way 3G masts work is that they expand and contract as the number of users on them changes. If you have 5 bars of 3G signal at one point of the day, that may be the strongest available mast. As more users join that mast, it may drop to 4 bars, and the iPhone will instead select the 5-bar 2G network, kicking you off internet.

Cheers for that. It makes a lot of sense.

well i just got a call from three. very pleasant lady. basically my complaint has been escalated and I can expect to receive a call or a email over the next day or so in response to my query.

when asked if it is a known issue and if there was a fix coming, I was advised that she could not comment on that but my particular complaint is being thoroughly investigated.

not much really to go on but it feels good to at least know that i am being listened to and dealt with. She did not seem surprised to hear i wanted an extension to the cooling off period (or 14 day trial as she put it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 podgedurka

People need to just leave if ur nit happy don't stick for it.. However I've had perfect service in limerick mayo Kerry and Galway some in very rural areas too

anybody have problems with wifi - connectivity but no download / upload speeds. phone is jailbroken (ipad, laptop, pc all working ok off wifi - wpa2 security)

eircom router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

anybody have problems with wifi - connectivity but no download / upload speeds. phone is jailbroken (ipad, laptop, pc all working ok off wifi - wpa2 security)

eircom router

Same prob i am having, but it's not iPhone 4 issue i think as other 3gs having same problem since upgrading to Iphone 4.
    So end up using 3g data bundle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Walkman wrote: »
    O2s porting was down for nearly all of last week

Why do these things always happen at convenient times, iPhone4 launch for o2 and Christmas time for Vodafone:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Why do these things always happen at convenient times, iPhone4 launch for o2 and Christmas time for Vodafone:rolleyes:

I would presume that it is because the amount of stress the system is put under with the sheer amount of ports it has to process.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dSleeper

SO I got an iphone the night of the launch nearly 2 weeks ago but was away. In my house I sometimes have 3 coverage on 2g, almost never at 3g. Sometimes if I force it on, it will stay at 1 bar, then i'll get a "Youve lost your network..blah blah" message and kick into regular 2g, whisch often I have only 1 bar in my house.

I called 3 to see what the position was with the 14 day.

After dialling 1913, option 1 then 4 and two "diagnostic" calls later i was put back to customer support where to told me they had updated my file, and to bring the phone back to the store for a full refund.

I need to do that tomorrow.

They also said they would have their upgrade on Friday, but apple were going to send out a carrier update.

I asked in vodafone about their return policy and they said that once you use it its yours..

So I'm back almost where I started, cant decide on a network but love the phone itself.

dSleeper wrote: »
    They also said they would have their upgrade on Friday, but apple were going to send out a carrier update.

This is new information, and could solve all of our problems if it does happen (and adjusts the conditions under which handover from a 3G to a 2G mast occurs). I had been under the impression that they were just enabling GPRS on Vodafone's 2G network.

Well at this stage nobody seems to know for sure what will happen - different stories from different CS agents, three employees etc. All excited about Friday so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dSleeper

snappieT wrote: »
    This is new information, and could solve all of our problems if it does happen (and adjusts the conditions under which handover from a 3G to a 2G mast occurs). I had been under the impression that they were just enabling GPRS on Vodafone's 2G network.

Well dont shoot the messenger, but on two different calls the customer support people said that. I did ask if it was an apple thing, and they said it was a carrier update...They also said they were enabling data on the regular network. SO there may be two things happening..

They wouldnt extend my 14 day to cover Friday, which made me wonder about their belief in what they are doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dolby

Hey all,
    I got my i-phone 4 today, I put in the sim I got from 3 and got an impressive full bar 3g in my house (never got it with 02!) I got my number ported and only get 3 with no 3g, I have selected carrier to 3g but no difference, Im i missing something here?..Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

eircom router
    deep1 wrote: »
    Same prob i am having, but it's not iPhone 4 issue i think as other 3gs having same problem since upgrading to Iphone 4.
    So end up using 3g data bundle.

Anything on Wifi is not a 3 issue. I have had no issues on Wifi, but my gf couldn't connect to a local pubs wifi even though I could so there may be some issue, but that could have been with that pubs Wifi and not the phone. Either way, defo not a 3 issue, they are in no way responsible for any Wifi issues.
    dolby wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I got my i-phone 4 today, I put in the sim I got from 3 and got an impressive full bar 3g in my house (never got it with 02!) I got my number ported and only get 3 with no 3g, I have selected carrier to 3g but no difference, Im i missing something here?..Thanks

That does sound like a 3 network issue and how the iPhone, particularly ported numbers, treat their masts. Other smart phone users have said they have not had the problems the iPhone has had so hopefully the Friday carrier update will resolve a lot of these issues.

On a side note, I feel I have been very coherent for a drunk man. oisdpieffiubdcjjbdbqiiuebiqweubqe3rbrefbq3efbfnf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭pah

My gf didn't port her number for about 4 days while she used up her vodafone credit. While the 083 number was still on th iPhone we noticed the same 3G dropping problem so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Does anybody know how long it is before Three agree to unlock the Phone? I will need to put an american sim card in it for two weeks in September, and don't really want to have to jailbreak. I would imagine that since they have me signed up to pay, they don't really care if I'm not using their network for two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

I'd be really surprised if they do unlock it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Delirio

slasher_65 wrote: »
    Does anybody know how long it is before Three agree to unlock the Phone? I will need to put an american sim card in it for two weeks in September, and don't really want to have to jailbreak. I would imagine that since they have me signed up to pay, they don't really care if I'm not using their network for two weeks.

From what I was told by Three support yesterday they will not unlock any phone. I have similar situation as you do. But try asking them...maybe you have better luck. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Delirio wrote: »
    From what I was told by Three support yesterday they will not unlock any phone. I have similar situation as you do. But try asking them...maybe you have better luck. ;)

Aren't there laws against that now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

just jailbreak and unlock yourself, what are you afraid of ?

jailbreakme.com on phones browser,
    then search for ultrasn0w in the new cydia app
    install
    phone unlocked
    have a great holiday ! easy

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

i'd assume not, if you've recieved a heavily subsidised handset from the network, why should they unlock it for you?

It's technically their phone?

eeloe wrote: »
    i'd assume not, if you've recieved a heavily subsidised handset from the network, why should they unlock it for you?

It's technically their phone?

Its technically your phone. Thats why you get cheaper SIM only plans. And if you break the contract, you still have to pay the remainder of months x monthly rates, so they will recoup the full cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Just unlocked it there no problem with ulrasnow on cydia.

Are folks still having issues with 2g not automatically hooking back to 3g? I had mine sorted by doing a network reset on the handset for the last week and it been fine. Acting up again though from today - having to toggle airplane mode. Tried the network reset to no avail this time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement