Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

eeloe wrote: »
    i'd assume not, if you've recieved a heavily subsidised handset from the network, why should they unlock it for you?

It's technically their phone?
    It's legally your phone, subsidy or not. The only difference is that in the case of your initial contract, the phone forms a part of that initial contract, so if you wish to cancel the contract under the Sale of Goods Act (or during the cooling off period) you are required to return the handset.

This is distinct from the contract re: service provision where if either you or the provider break *that* contract, you are not obliged to return the handset.

The legality of a provider locking your phone to their network has yet to be challenged, but I've yet to hear of any provider who has refused to unlock a phone once the customer is out of contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dasEgo

Hi
    I am returning my phone today.

- there are areas who are shown as covered with phone-network - but everybody in the village can tell you, it's not (Riverstick, inch-beach)

- i get kicked out of 3g in a covered area but it don't change back to it (from three side: this will be changed with the update) have to switch phone completley off to re-join the 3g network
    - behind some servers i had not connection to every link (e.g. could open some apps through the store - others not)
    - the update will be run tomorrow, but i am on holiday. have no change to prove it. I asked for a extension for their policy. They said they will make a note but will not sent out a written confirmation. and whenever you ask about it - you get a different information - not very reliable.

the SErvice is not exactly not helpfull. Just quite annoying. Have had to explain 4 times the same story yesterday, as i got wrong transferred and they don't communicate between each others (internal cold transfers).

direct questions will not be answered (still don't know if there is a technical issue or not), they are dishonest about their location (sure they are sitting in Irland) and their role.
    They are unbelivable patient about giving you the same answer again and again.

T&C's are different: clicked on the homepage in the order process. but then i spoke with Agent about unlocking my phone ( i travel a lot), she gave me complete different one.
    my last status about unlocking: Yes you can (25 Eur) but have to wait for 14 days (because of cancelation-policy)?

My impression is pretty grey about all:
    Yes they help, but you need a lot of arguing and time (5 hours up to now and about 7 contacts).

Will see how the return of my device and especially my number will work.

Neverless: when it was working: network was fast and good fun to work with the iphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭squonk

There pretty accurate, i've driven a good few of them, the iphone bears no relationship to what could be considered an ordinary phone. It's plagued with problems but people who buy it won't admit the phone itself could actually be at fault.
    Ask your self why is there no big thread like this on 3 phone's until the launch of the iphone. Because most of their phones work bar the iphone.

Anyone who says there's no problem with the iphone and reception must have their head buried in the sand.

Why aren't there reception issues on Vodafone or o2 then? I'm speaking as someone who signed up for 3 and lasted for a day because, compared to my o2 service, what they were providing was a total joke and, dare I say it, a scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

iPwnage wrote: »
    just jailbreak and unlock yourself, what are you afraid of ?

jailbreakme.com on phones browser,
    then search for ultrasn0w in the new cydia app
    install
    phone unlocked
    have a great holiday ! easy

I find Jailbreaking a HUGE inconvenience. From issues like the phone getting really hot to less battery life, I just don't like doing it, not to mention the speed decrease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

must of got a dud phone so !
    anyway its your only option
    take it or leave it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

From last 10 minutes i am only getting 3 where i normally get 3g.
    even from the carrier list the only option is 3, No meteor, o2 etc.
    Network upgrade maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Possibly. I'm the same today so i would imagine they have started whatever it is there starting. Just about the jailbreaking mentioned above - my phone on standby for 8 hours per night used about 6% battery - after jailbreaking exactly the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

deep1 wrote: »
    From last 10 minutes i am only getting 3 where i normally get 3g.
    even from the carrier list the only option is 3, No meteor, o2 etc.
    Network upgrade maybe?
    corklad32 wrote: »
    Possibly. I'm the same today so i would imagine they have started whatever it is there starting.
    Who wants to say the first decade ?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭DonRosco

slasher_65 wrote: »
    I find Jailbreaking a HUGE inconvenience. From issues like the phone getting really hot to less battery life, I just don't like doing it, not to mention the speed decrease.

Jailbreaking doesn't do any of that on it's own. It allows you to install things which may affect battery or CPU, but if you JB and install ultrasn0w, it won't have any adverse effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

DonRosco wrote: »
    Jailbreaking doesn't do any of that on it's own. It allows you to install things which may affect battery or CPU, but if you JB and install ultrasn0w, it won't have any adverse effects.

On my 3GS it certainly did. I only jailbroke it so that I could use it on a different network, yet battery life went down by about 20% and the phone was ALWAYS hot, sometimes worryingly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Possibly. I'm the same today so i would imagine they have started whatever it is there starting. Just about the jailbreaking mentioned above - my phone on standby for 8 hours per night used about 6% battery - after jailbreaking exactly the same

I'm jailbroken too and noticed this morning my battery was still at the 85% it was going to bed in sleep mode. Just turned off location services.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MjcMurfy

Is it just me or has anyone else got GPRS/edge access? I just noticed it there, the little circle icon next to the three icon. Tried accessing the Internet and it worked, albeit very slowly. I flicked the aeroplane mode on and off and it went away again though. I'll update again if it comes back.

They must be messing around under the hood today.

Yep. Definitely have GPRS connectivity now. At least this shows three are doing SOMETHING to get this crap sorted out!! I think I could probably live with mildly intermittent 3G as long as GPRS is there as a backup.

MjcMurfy wrote: »
    Yep. Definitely have GPRS connectivity now. At least this shows three are doing SOMETHING to get this crap sorted out!! I think I could probably live with mildly intermittent 3G as long as GPRS is there as a backup.

I don't have it, little circle comes for a second and goes away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I don't have it, little circle comes for a second and goes away.

That's what I was getting yesterday as well. I'm still taking forever to come back to 3G in known 3G areas. When I get in my lift at my apartment I lose signal, then when I get into my apartment I don't get 3G unless I toggle airplane mode, then it comes straight back.

If I disable 3G signal and re enable it it doesn't come back for ages unless I toggle airplane mode.

Does anyone know if the carrier update (if there is one) will force you to upgrade to 4.0.2? Better not.

NothingMan wrote: »

Does anyone know if the carrier update (if there is one) will force you to upgrade to 4.0.2? Better not.

Should not, hasn't happened before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

No GPRS for me either.

For people who are having 2g internet with little circle o icon, can post their setting here?

Eg
    • Data roaming On/Off
    • 3g switch on/off (Sbsetting)
    • Carrier mode Automatic/Manual

etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

All working with GPRS in south Dublin. 3G on with network set to automatic. App store issue was fixed yesterday but the intermittent 3G issue has always been a problem and I've used 3 with an iPhone 3G for two years.

Although their CS is below par, they are doing something about this as they are advertising big time (Irish soccer, Waterford gaa, iPhone tv ads etc) so it is not worth their while having unhappy customers. Their deals are unbeatable just like meteor used to be!

scottyboy wrote: »
    All working with GPRS in south Dublin. 3G on with network set to automatic. App store issue was fixed yesterday but the intermittent 3G issue has always been a problem and I've used 3 with an iPhone 3G for two years.

Although their CS is below par, they are doing something about this as they are advertising big time (Irish soccer, Waterford gaa, iPhone tv ads etc) so it is not worth their while having unhappy customers. Their deals are unbeatable just like meteor used to be!

Great, if your ph is jailbroken, can you please try to switch 3g off from sbsetting and see if it still works.
    If not jailbroken can you set 3 as a carrier not 3g and see if working.
    thanks

Never mind just did a quick restart and it is working now with 3g off from sbsetting, will save battery life.
    Great Job three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Armedocr

The last few days I've been having difficulty sending txt messages on three. The sending bar will load up about 90% of the way then stall and fail after 5/6 mins.

This is seriously wrecking my head! Anyone have any idea what the problem might be.
    Phones jailbroken by the way.

Nothing yet in cork city. Circle flashes up for a sec but dissapears. Tried turning 3 g off with sb settings but no joy yet. I know network changes can take Up to 24 hours to filter through the network. Give us an update as ure area goes live. Think we've just seen Dublin reports so far

Deep1, you shouldn't have to disable 3G with sbsettings to get it to work. I have it installed, with 3G switched on, and GPRS is still fine. If you select the 3 (vodafone) network manually in the carrier list you should get it straight away. Though, I have network selection set to automatic and it still picks up GPRS when 3G isn't available. Though, it doesn't seem to like switching back again to 3G too quickly. Here's hoping the carrier update tomorrow fixes that. If it does, I'll finally be a happy camper.

Oh, and I'm in Galway btw. Not Dublin.

Nothing yet in cork city. Circle flashes up for a sec but dissapears. Tried turning 3 g off with sb settings but no joy yet. I know network changes can take Up to 24 hours to filter through the network. Give us an update as ure area goes live. Think we've just seen Dublin reports so far

Mine started working after a restart, try that.

MjcMurfy wrote: »
    Deep1, you shouldn't have to disable 3G with sbsettings to get it to work. I have it installed, with 3G switched on, and GPRS is still fine. If you select the 3 (vodafone) network manually in the carrier list you should get it straight away. Though, I have network selection set to automatic and it still picks up GPRS when 3G isn't available. Though, it doesn't seem to like switching back again to 3G hem it becomes available. Here's hoping the carrier update fixes that. If it does, I'll finally be a happy camper.

Oh, and I'm in Galway btw. Not Dublin.

Yeah i know that but i prefer to switch 3g off when i have long calls to make to save battery.

Yeah i know that but i prefer to switch 3g off when i have long calls to make to save battery.

Does doing that definitely save battery life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

Talk time is almost doubled when calls are made thro 2g according to apple iPhone specification.

7 hours on 3G or 14 hours on 2g

Does doing that definitely save battery life?

Defnitely. Have you ever been in a no or bad signal area overnight? Your phone is constantly looking for a signal so the battery is taking a big hit. Same with 3G, if it doesn't need to look for 3G when it drops it the battery can relax a little bit.

I had a nokia a few years ago and a full battery was gone over night in a bad signal area when it would normally last 3 or 4 days in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

what are sbsettings and where are there

• Advertisement

Mine started working after a restart, try that.

I just tried that. I get the circle for a second and it disappears. Both with carrier as 3 or 3G. Data roaming on.

I'm in Tallaght.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement