Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

NothingMan wrote: »
    Defnitely. Have you ever been in a no or bad signal area overnight? Your phone is constantly looking for a signal so the battery is taking a big hit. Same with 3G, if it doesn't need to look for 3G when it drops it the battery can relax a little bit.

I had a nokia a few years ago and a full battery was gone over night in a bad signal area when it would normally last 3 or 4 days in Dublin.

Standby in 2g may not always result in better battery life but the majority of power used by any phone is when used for calls or Internet. If you use wifi instead of 3G for Internet, you will get 4 more hours of use!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Gigiwagga wrote: »
    what are sbsettings and where are there

It's only on Jailbroken iPhones. It means you can swipe your status bar and it gives you a drop down where you can quickly switch on Wifi, bluetooth, 3G etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Gigiwagga wrote: »
    what are sbsettings and where are there

Sbsetting is for jailbroken phone if you don't want to go that route simply select 3 from carrier list when you have long calls to make to double talk time.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Armedocr

Armedocr wrote: »
    The last few days I've been having difficulty sending txt messages on three. The sending bar will load up about 90% of the way then stall and fail after 5/6 mins.

This is seriously wrecking my head! Anyone have any idea what the problem might be.
    Phones jailbroken by the way.

No ideas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

YiP a full shutdown and restart has given me the elusive circle! Chamfookingpagne!!!! Slow but definitely usable and just a relief to see it on! Haven't seen it switch back to 3G just yet although I am in a 3 g area! It's on anyway - give ure phone a reboot

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MjcMurfy

Armedocr wrote: »
    No ideas??

Have you tried rebooting the phone?
    Maybe a network settings reset might be useful if rebooting doesn't work.
    Have you ported your number or did you stick with the number they gave you?

Another finding, you don't have to have data roaming on to access Edge/gprs, still working fine after switching data roaming to off.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭noellinnane

I haz Edge!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Got GPRS here in Leitrim as well, had to do a reboot, pretty happy with the speed, expected it to be slower. Hopefully they'll have a fix for the switching issue soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

South Dublin GPRS on 3

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Armedocr

deep1 wrote: »

Hey deep1 thanks for that I used search but couldnt find anything relevant.

I tried those numbers. No luck. Guess I'm going to have to contact Three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭CFC007

I can't find my 3G toggle on/off button! Must have been the jailbreak or was it the network carrier file that removed it??

CFC007 wrote: »
    I can't find my 3G toggle on/off button! Must have been the jailbreak or was it the network carrier file that removed it??

I don't think there is one with 3, unless your jailbroken. Just a Cellular Data toggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭a1000pigeons

16gb iPhone 4, Kilkenny (county).
    2g(three w/0 symbol) working very usuably.
    Had great 3G anyway, didn't mind the odd airplane on/off. But if this service is consistent, I hope it's not possible to bump everyone up for the next 24hrs to humour us, for the money's worth I'm ok with three. I'd be definitely looking to return if I wasn't satisfied and ready to attack them but I'd genuinely like to see an unbiased poll as to satisfaction amongst all networks. Many of those satisfied may be unvoiced here, or the opposite.
    Maybe I'm just lucky or is it possible to consider, judging on volume of production there are bad batches of handset.
    Answers please, hoping this is permanent and widespread from Three. As it goes with Three, I happy.

Carrier update removed it.
    How many people have edge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kjoanna

Hi all:)

Dont know where to ask about this so I'll try here.

Im with three for a year now and for all this time I used nokia e 65.
    When I was surfing using opera the average data usage for one website was about 300kb.
    2 days ago i got my iphone and what a surprise: I opened few websites and it took few mb!
    I realized that after I checked my usage on three.
    Im still on an old plan (90 flexiunits) and after I discovered I have only few flexiunits left I've decided to buy an extra 1gb.

I have two questions:
    Why internet usage on iphone is much bigger then on other phones?
    Which goes first for surfing: flexiunits or ad-ons?

Hope you guys can help me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MjcMurfy

Yep, the toggle used to be available in network settings, but was removed by 3's last carrier update. If you are jailbroken you can install sbsettings via cydia which allows you to toggle 3G, edge, wifi, Bluetooth etc. Pretty handy little app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

I spoke too soon - my circle is gone! I guess it will take a few hours to settle down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Carrier update removed it.
    How many people have edge ?

3 don't do edge, feckers

• Advertisement

kjoanna wrote: »
    Hi all:)

Dont know where to ask about this so I'll try here.

Im with three for a year now and for all this time I used nokia e 65.
    When I was surfing using opera the average data usage for one website was about 300kb.
    2 days ago i got my iphone and what a surprise: I opened few websites and it took few mb!
    I realized that after I checked my usage on three.
    Im still on an old plan (90 flexiunits) and after I discovered I have only few flexiunits left I've decided to buy an extra 1gb.

I have two questions:
    Why internet usage on iphone is much bigger then on other phones?
    Which goes first for surfing: flexiunits or ad-ons?

Hope you guys can help me :)

Different phones/browses handle websites in different ways. Older phones would have heavily compressed web pages, sometimes with all images and graphics taken out.

The iPhone and current smart phones show you full web pages except where a mobile version might be available, like boards.ie

Even still, I use facebook and youtube regularly and I reckon 200mb a month is fine. When I was on o2 my average was 127mb month.

I haz Edge!! :)
    iPwnage wrote: »
    3 don't do edge, feckers
    @noellinnane Do you have a little circle beside the 3 ??

iPwnage wrote: »
    3 don't do edge, feckers

A lot of people here are refering to gprs (circle) or any fallback from 3G as Edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 flymoll

Had great 3G anyway, didn't mind the odd airplane on/off. But if this service is consistent, I hope it's not possible to bump everyone up for the next 24hrs to humour us, for the money's worth I'm ok with three. They've won the war!

Ditto working very well go Three

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kjoanna

NothingMan wrote: »
    Different phones/browses handle websites in different ways. Older phones would have heavily compressed web pages, sometimes with all images and graphics taken out.

The iPhone and current smart phones show you full web pages except where a mobile version might be available, like boards.ie

Even still, I use facebook and youtube regularly and I reckon 200mb a month is fine. When I was on o2 my average was 127mb month.

Nokia e65 is smartphones too :p and I have always had all the pictures loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

Well done 3. Credit where credit is due.
    While it should have been implemented from the get-go, at least now we can fall back to gprs when theres no 3G available. It's faster than I expected also!
    Since I emailed them a few days ago they have rang me on three separate occasions and have kept me up to date. They have been extremely courteous, polite and friendly...even through my rants. :eek:

I know this doesn't suit everyone and doesn't fix everything but in fairness they are listening and trying to improve the service.

I was a bit uneasy moving to 3 (I came from O2) at the start but I'm much more comfortable now.

The 3G service while sometimes a bit erratic, has been fairly consistent for me and seems to have more coverage than other providers.

As I said, it's not perfect but it's getting there.

I think we're going to get along just fine 3....! ;)

Had great 3G anyway, didn't mind the odd airplane on/off. But if this service is consistent, I hope it's not possible to bump everyone up for the next 24hrs to humour us, for the money's worth I'm ok with three. I'd be definitely looking to return if I wasn't satisfied and ready to attack them but I'd genuinely like to see an unbiased poll as to satisfaction amongst all networks. Many of those satisfied may be unvoiced here, or the opposite.
    Maybe I'm just lucky or is it possible to consider, judging on volume of production there are bad batches of handset.
    Answers please, hoping this is permanent and widespread from Three. As it goes with Three, I happy.

Totally cool with all, but no 3G as of now. 1st prob, hopefully this is just transitional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Totally cool with all, but no 3G as of now. 1st prob, hopefully this is just transitional.

Your replying to your own post????

Walkman wrote: »
    Your replying to your own post????

Just to confirm what I said earlier, no 3G at the minute. First problem with three as we stand. Hopefully things are sorted after this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

GPRS working well for me in places where I wasn't getting it before.

The times, they are a changing . . . (hopefully)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement