Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dolby

I have to say im phone sorted itself out today and wow compare to 02
    At work never got 3g with 02 have full bar 3g now with three, same story at home full 3g.

maybe im just lucky but im happy:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Anyone ventured up North? I just want to make sure the whole three like home thing works with Flex units and that data works too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

rivalius13 wrote: »
    Anyone ventured up North? I just want to make sure the whole three like home thing works with Flex units and that data works too.
    Works fine in Belfast at least. Been there twice since switching to 3 (once with the iPhone 4) and have made calls/sent texts which came out of my flexi units, and used the internet and data using apps which came out of my 10 gig add-on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

rivalius13 wrote: »

Yeah works fine. Just make sure you select the 3 uk network not "automatic".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I Don't why but the service from three seems to be getting better each day.Today I've had 3g all day , reasonable speeds and not once had a dropped call.. May be they have fixed it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daveccork

After reset i have the elusive small circle. Haven't seen 3G since though ..... Usable for email etc but obviously note great (down 25 to 40 Kbps - up 5kbps)

Main thing for me is access to email on the go so can live without 3G in most cases. Will need to road test tomorrow.

Do you think this is "it" or is there a carrier update to expect also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Johnmb wrote: »
    Works fine in Belfast at least. Been there twice since switching to 3 (once with the iPhone 4) and have made calls/sent texts which came out of my flexi units, and used the internet and data using apps which came out of my 10 gig add-on.
    With regards to the 3 Like Home thing, is that automatic or do you have to do something with your plan as I noticed in the description on three's site that you have to have a roaming profile enabled ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

cian1500ww wrote: »
    With regards to the 3 Like Home thing, is that automatic or do you have to do something with your plan as I noticed in the description on three's site that you have to have a roaming profile enabled ??

They asked me did i want the eu roaming rates, or 3 like home. Took 3 like home for UK, and going to Hong Kong in October. You can switch once a month, i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Jimdagym wrote: »
    They asked me did i want the eu roaming rates, or 3 like home. Took 3 like home for UK, and going to Hong Kong in October. You can switch once a month, i think.

Nice one, I didn't know what he was on about with his EU roaming rates talk, I refused it. Happy I did now. I'll ring tomorrow to confirm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Can i ask where everyone is who is getting good 3G coverage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Zhane wrote: »
    Can i ask where everyone is who is getting good 3G coverage?

Dublin; City centre, Ballymun, Tallaght, Drimnagh, Inchicore, Clondalkin, Ballyfermot, The Coombe, Rialto. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

3G reception is crap in Celbridge, main street is 3 bars, 1 bar in Saint Raphael's Manor (the coverage maps says I should have indoor broadband I can't get it outdoors). I noticed the GPRS indicator yesterday but its gone now. 3G is actually worse this morning that yesterday. I used to be able to connect with one bar but now all data consuming apps just time out. Multiple restarts of the app (remove from task switcher kills the app) has no effect. Haven't tried phone restarts as I'd to get on bus, so no point as I'd have moved out of range.

I couldn't get any webpage or radio stream until close to HP (5 bars) even though the phone reported 3 bars in Celbridge village.

There are three other blackspots (1 bar no data) on the way into city center too. Near Weston, Lucan bypass near woodies and Chapelizod bypass to Concolbert Road... reception picks up again just before Heuston (near eircom actually).
    Bought last saturday so seriously considering exiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Ok. So now I have GPRS, That is somewhat good news but the speeds are unusable for all but basic mail functions and even then it doesn't work as I have 0kbps upload.

That's not the problem though. I got into work and my phone had "You have lost network connection, Dismiss/Settings". Presumably when I was in the underground car park. That's fine, but I'm now in work 20minutes, where I know there is full 3G coverage and I'm still on GPRS. I know I can toggle my airplane mode and recover 3G but I want to see how long it takes to correct itself. Having to constantly toggle is unacceptable really.

Does anyone know if they're also releasing a carrier update to go with these changes and could a carrier setting change how it prioritises networks?

Data roaming off, Carrier 3 (3G).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

GUIGuy wrote: »

There are three other blackspots (1 bar no data) on the way into city center too. Near Weston, Lucan bypass near woodies and Chapelizod bypass to Concolbert Road... reception picks up again just before Heuston (near eircom actually).

Odd you mention Con Colbert Road being a blackspot, as just alongside in the Memorial Park I was getting a great reception the other day when my son was using the Geocaching app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Hmm strange - I pass it every day. Generally listening to the radio. As you're heading west the signal generally fails after the memorial park... just after the road splits into the bypass. As the bypass veers down towards the liffey. Just looked at ComReg's SiteViewer you're getting good coverage from cell tower DU0190. Three has a blackspot on the bypass just north of tower 4797

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

I'm still having issues in Cork - i get a weak 3g signal it drops off and then i get 5 bars of 2g but no circle. Allergic isn't the word - they have told me to get a new sim - chances of that fixing anything is fook all.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

I'm getting the circle, the GPRS is as good as EDGE used to be on o2 so far.

Still nothing happening with the switching issue though. Did a network reset this morning, and the network remains at 7.1

I hope enabling GPRS isn't the extent of the fix.

My road test didn't prove too successful - had 3g in one area for 2 minutes then it dropped back to just 3 with full bars but no gprs. As previous posters have said I hope there is more to come.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Scottish wrote: »
    I'm getting the circle, the GPRS is as good as EDGE used to be on o2 so far.

Really? I find GPRS unusable. D/L - 30Kbps and Upload 0-3Kbps. Even checking mail went on longer than I cared to wait. Have you done a speed test on yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭j_lennon18

NothingMan wrote: »
    Really? I find GPRS unusable. D/L - 30Kbps and Upload 0-3Kbps. Even checking mail went on longer than I cared to wait. Have you done a speed test on yours?

I did a speed test last night and got 31 Down, 16 Up. Image

I turned 3G off and used the GPRS on the way to work this morning and it worked fine for me for Email, Boards.ie, Google Reader, Links from my feeds which google compresses to mobile format, Eirtext Pro, and using Opera to compress all other sites (BBC Sport, News..etc)

Before moving to 3 I was always using O2's Edge and there is not allot of speed difference for doing the same stuff above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

People hating the huge loading times on GPRS might want to check out the Opera Mini web browser app. That loads websites a fair bit faster then Safari can. If you are highly privacy concious though, read up on how the technology behind it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

I work in the eircom building and the 3G signal is pretty poor.. Three bars at very best in most areas. But when I'm up on the 8th floor it's 4 bars.

Anyone figure out how to get past the 3 proxy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

colsers22 wrote: »
    I work in the eircom building and the 3G signal is pretty poor.. Three bars at very best in most areas. But when I'm up on the 8th floor it's 4 bars.

Anyone figure out how to get past the 3 proxy?

When I first went with 3 on 3Pay I had the proxy/firewall issue with some websites. I phoned 3 CS and they said that I had to prove that I was over 18 by either taking my passport or ID into a store or paying €1 by credit card over the phone. This €1 was then credited to my 3Pay account.

I don't know if this is still their standard practice so give CS a call and jump thro the normal hoops!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

scottyboy wrote: »
    When I first went with 3 on 3Pay I had the proxy/firewall issue with some websites. I phoned 3 CS and they said that I had to prove that I was over 18 by either taking my passport or ID into a store or paying €1 by credit card over the phone. This €1 was then credited to my 3Pay account.

I don't know if this is still their standard practice so give CS a call and jump thro the normal hoops!!

Thanks, I'm nearly 30, no way I'm showing anyone my ID. I'll just shout at CS until they sort it. Usually does the trick.
    I was with 3 a couple of years back and I managed to get 3 brand new hand sets out of them by being "difficult"

colsers22 wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm nearly 30, no way I'm showing anyone my ID. I'll just shout at CS until they sort it. Usually does the trick.
    I was with 3 a couple of years back and I managed to get 3 brand new hand sets out of them by being "difficult"

Hold on a second. The majority of us are on Bill pay. Which means we signed a legal agreement. Which we can't do unless we are 18. So they have proof we are 18 already.

Ah, hoops. I do enjoy jumping through them.

you can sign legal agreements under 18 .... we enter into contracts when we buy coke from a shop, get insurance on a moped and various other things.

what is more relevant re the bill pay is the fact we all have to give ID (passport, driving licence etc). they should just check their files

daveccork wrote: »
    you can sign legal agreements under 18 .... we enter into contracts when we buy coke from a shop, get insurance on a moped and various other things.

what is more relevant re the bill pay is the fact we all have to give ID (passport, driving licence etc). they should just check their files

A friend who tried to sign up with Three was turned away due to his age. He was 18 in a few weeks, and had to wait until then to sign the contract. The same applied to O2 and Vodafone.

my apologies - thought you meant you can't enter legal contracts. not that you can't enter contracts with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Anyone in Cork City getting the circle up on 2g? I've had no data on 2g since last night

• Advertisement

did last night night and bit this morning but not now. either 3g or nothing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement