Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

corklad32 wrote: »
    Still no GPRS for me. On a plus side signed up with 3 insurance so when I get to the stage of fooking the phone in the Lee because I've no data coverage at least I'm covered!! Go do it today it's free for 3 months at which point u can cancel as it's a rolling monthly contract!! So it really is costing ya nothin for 3 months and a lil piece of mind. ( unless I cancel before the 30 days)

Do you just ring them up to get the insurance or do i have to go into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Thor wrote: »
    Do you just ring them up to get the insurance or do i have to go into them.
    Any 3 store within 30 days of phone purchase. U have to go in with just the phone - they chech the imei on the phone

Any 3 store within 30 days of phone purchase. U have to go in with just the phone - they chech the imei on the phone

Sweet, may have to get that insurance, One more question, How much does it cost after three months free given.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Delirio

In the last few days I've been calling Three as I am tempted to switch to them, once they fix these problems with 2G/3G, etc. When I asked about insurance I was told: "We do not have insurance within Three, you need to go to CPW for that". Crazy f....... !!??

I start thinking they employee people by default in Three, but not thru a selection process....

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Nuphor

GPRS started working today here in Kilkenny for me. Pretty happy, it was annoying to have no data connectivity while roaming.

• Advertisement

@ Thor it's 8.99 per month after that. Ya 3's employee selection process is definitely hit and miss! They do have at least a few good guys working in their cork store but on the 3 call centre it's painfully bad. There not aware of half the things goin on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭pah

I'd make sure and read the small print in the insurance details. I had civet with vodafone last yew but you couldn't make a claim in the first 90 days of cover.

I put 2 iPhones & iPad on all risks house insurance for €50 for the year. Covers loss/theft/damage anywhere :)

That sounds v odd. It defies the purpose of a policy. If thecover is taken out on an item as new (or within 30 days in this case) u would have to be covered immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

That sounds v odd. It defies the purpose of a policy. If thecover is taken out on an item as new (or within 30 days in this case) u would have to be covered immediately.

When you take out health insurance you can't claim for 6 months either to stop people signing up to VHI etc when they get sick. They must have had a problem with people taking out insurance when they lost the phone and claiming a week later.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    When you take out health insurance you can't claim for 6 months either to stop people signing up to VHI etc when they get sick. They must have had a problem with people taking out insurance when they lost the phone and claiming a week later.

Thats why there are supposed to check the phone before giving insurance. Also i believe you need to get a medical exam for getting health insurance.

Also i think the statement of not being able to make a claim in the first 90 days doesn't mean you are not covered, But infact just means you can't claim until the 90 days are up.

If something happens before that time, Just wait until the 90 days are up and then claim.

Ridiculous i know but its there terms and i could be wrong.

I will get threes insurance(even if its just for three months free).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Thor wrote: »
    Thats why there are supposed to check the phone before giving insurance. Also i believe you need to get a medical exam for getting health insurance.

Yeah fair point on checking the phone. Maybe people were deciding they wanted a new phone, taking out insurance and then claiming.

You don't need any medical exam before getting health insurance. you just need to declare that you don't have pre-existing conditions.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Yeah fair point on checking the phone. Maybe people were deciding they wanted a new phone, taking out insurance and then claiming.

You don't need any medical exam before getting health insurance. you just need to declare that you don't have pre-existing conditions.

That you know of!!

Alot of people could infact have a pre existing condition and not know about it. Maybe you don't have to get a medical exam, But i think you have one already done up six months of getting health insurance.

Maybe someone who took out 3's insurance could look af the small print. The printout I got in the shop is all blurry so I can't read it but il see if they have them online. I am pretty sure though you are covered immediately and can claim immediately. Comparing health insurance policies is not like standard insurance policies whereby ure actually insuring a physical item. Anyway maybe someone who has the printout can look failing that I willring the insurance contact number on monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭decies

Was out in the waterford regional hospital 3g seems ok in car park ,but head into ward and for 90% of time no 3g or gprs coverage on three,chap in same ward also with i phone but with 02 no problem with 3g coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Hey folks,

3 have been in touch with answers to some of the questions in this thread:
    When will the 2G to 3G data transfer issue be fixed?

3 has put in a fix to enable GPRS data roaming nationwide via Vodafone’s 2G network when customers are outside of 3’s coverage area. When GPRS is available you will see a small circle in place of the 3G icon on your mobile. It should be noted that GPRS speeds are lower than 3G/HSDPA technology but you will be able to operate all mail applications, social network notifications and web browsing.

3 will only be offering GPRS as part of its 2G data roaming and not EDGE as this system is not available on 3’s data roaming partners network (Vodafone).

Please note that all 2G data usage will come out of the customers data bundle. All iPhone users are entitled to a varying data allowance dependent on which price plan the customer has chosen. For more details see:
    http://www.three.ie/products_services/priceplans/billpay/billpay.htm#

Does 3 use Vodafone’s 2G data network?

Yes in some areas where customers are on the edge of 3G coverage.

Do 3 charge for Facetime texts? Will these be free in the future?

Yes 3 charges…

3 is currently looking at the possibility of making these free. Apple have stated that there is only one text generated when Facetime is activated. This text is then sent to a UK number for verification. The UK number involved belongs to Apple and users will need to contact Apple to see if there are plans to have an Irish number implemented.

Skype on the iPhone 4?

The Skype App available on the Apple App Store is not the same product supplied by 3 on other handsets. Therefore any usage on the iPhone App is charged at the standard rate. This was a decision by Apple.

App store- app page issue?

The issue with App store pages not being resolved correctly (i.e the pages are being viewed as text) was due to 3’s firewall settings. This issue has now been resolved.

Is 3’s iPhone 4’s susceptible to the antenna issue “death grip”?

There is no distinction in iPhone 4 hardware between networks.

iPhone 4/3GS Filtering issue?

3 has an adult content filtering system on its mobile internet which is predefined by Bluecoat. We are looking at a process to give smartphone users the option to opt out of this system. Watch this space for more information.

3 Like Home

All 3 customers can avail of our 3 Like Home Service. This means a customer domestic rates when they use 3 networks abroad, like the UK. Data and texts cost the same, too. And remember receiving calls is absolutely free – just like home.

Please see the below link for all details:
    http://www.three.ie/products_services/international/3likehome.htm

I hope that helps some of our members - I know 3 are keeping an eye on this thread so if you have specific questions you want answered, let me know in the thread below and we'll see what we can do to get you answers!

Cheers (and thanks to 3 for providing official answers)

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

*Skype on the iPhone 4?*

The Skype App available on the Apple App Store is not the same product supplied by 3 on other handsets. Therefore any usage on the iPhone App is charged at the standard rate. This was a decision by Apple.

When I see bloody huge "Skype Free on 3" all over their stores, I tend to take them at their word. I'm annoyed by this. What does this mean when I use Skype on the iPhone to ring a Skype Out number - am I charged by both Skype and 3?

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Skype is free on certain 3 phones. No where does it state that it is free with the iphone.

Walkman wrote: »
    Skype is free on certain 3 phones. No where does it state that it is free with the iphone.

Actually it technically does.

http://www.three.ie/skype.htm

No where does it state on that page, Is it dependent on a specific phone.

Also clicking on skype phones, Up will show a list of all the phones and guess what!!! The iphone 4 is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

3 Like Home

All 3 customers can avail of our 3 Like Home Service. This means a customer domestic rates when they use 3 networks abroad, like the UK. Data and texts cost the same, too. And remember receiving calls is absolutely free – just like home.

That's good to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

naasrd wrote: »
    3 Like Home

That's good to know.

Dont forget that its elective, you are either on that or the european roaming charges. Check your details with 3 before you go up north and take a load of calls!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Dont forget that its elective, you are either on that or the european roaming charges. Check your details with 3 before you go up north and take a load of calls!!

Thanks for that. Just copped this on their site. "Easy, you're automatically cleared for international roaming after 3 months. So just choose the 3 network in participating countries when you touch down."

Still, pretty impressive little extra all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Nothing about the delay in returning to full 3G from gprs in known 3G areas?

Takes up to 20 minutes and sometimes just doesn't return to 3G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Darragh wrote: »
    Hey folks,

3 have been in touch with answers to some of the questions in this thread:

I hope that helps some of our members - I know 3 are keeping an eye on this thread so if you have specific questions you want answered, let me know in the thread below and we'll see what we can do to get you answers!

Cheers (and thanks to 3 for providing official answers)

Darragh
    I have no GPRS data since Thursday evening. Is anyone else in the same boat ?? Tried doing a reboot and reset...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

When I was ordering the phone on the landline, the CS representative asked me would I like to be able to use this in other countries, does that mean I am signed up to European or three like home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

I was in the Three store on Henry Street, and they told me that in the next week or so they would have the proxy lifted/give us a way to turn it off.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Today is another bad day, standing in work here my 3G coverage is fluxing from between 4 and 1 bar! Really starting to bother me now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daveccork

also, am if they say the 2g issue has been fixed is this as good as it gets? in cork and have seen no sign of gprs all day.....

was in cork store today and was told (same as corklad32??):
    - fixes being implemented fri 13th and sat 14th
    - refund period extended to 30 days
    - boosting 3g (said gprs will be active but is not want "people" want)
    - phone number to escalate your complaint with apple (come monday if you are not happy) 1800-923-898

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

@Darragh: Can you ask three if they've enabled GPRS on the 2G network as some of us had it on Thursday but haven't had it since Friday.

Marginally better 3 g in cork today but absolutely no sign of GPRS when 3G drop-off.

Can you chop and change ure roaming? Say gointo uk next week do I activate 3 like home? And then say Italy the week after do I need to swap 3 like home for European roaming. I saw the thing about 3 months a nd roaming is activated I assume u can di this before the 3 months? Jelly SMS on 3 today failing all day for me anyone else?

• Advertisement

cian1500ww wrote: »
    @Darragh: Can you ask three if they've enabled GPRS on the 2G network as some of us had it on Thursday but haven't had it since Friday.

Yes I'm exactly the same. Circle flicks on for 3 or 4 seconds and then gone. Thur it stayed on until 3 g came back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement