Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Walkman wrote: »
    Did they sign up in a store, they obviously opted them out without asking so they could get 3 like home. It's defiantly an option cause when I was getting my iPhone I was asked did I want to opt in or not. You have to opt in or not so it's not included with the other add ons

We all signed up in various stores around the country, no mention was made of 3 Like Home being anything other than a given. Again, where do you see mention of it being an option on their website?

3 like Home is not something "you get", it's something that you are entitled to when roaming on any of the other 7 3 networks around the world if on billpay (and in more limited fashion on 3pay). You may be right that options have changed recently but I have yet to see any description of that and until such times a 3IRL leaves the scheme as 3UK unfortunately did, then we may continue to enjoy the benefits.

One of my friends is in the unbelievably happy position of regularly visiting UK, IT, HK and AUS and was delighted to switch to 3 on that basis.

What exactly were you asked to opt in *to*? I cannot see how opting in to anything negates the benefits of 3 Like Home when on a foreign 3 network.

Thor wrote: »
    Irrelevant if its detrimental to my contract or not, Any change is a change.

I'm not saying what they are doing is bad, I'm just saying the option is there. Which as it happens is working for people on meteor at the moment.

Usually you have to show that a change impacts upon your usage and is detrimental to continued use of same. When 3UK removed the '3 Like Home' facility, you had to show that you had used it in the previous 12 months. When O2 UK began charging for British 0870 numbers, you had to show that you had used them at least once. O2.ie's recent changes were to the detriment of their iPhone customers and so you were free to get out of contract.

Likewise, 3 Ireland when they sneakily changed the allowance on their mobile broadband contracts -only to change their minds back a month later, after I had got out of contract. Crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Can everyone with GPRS issues advise if there on ported numbers. I'm 085 ported and have been all over cork and Kerry today with no GPRS. I'm wondering is it a porting problem although I did have it last thur but not since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

culabula wrote: »
    Usually you have to show that a change impacts upon your usage and is detrimental to continued use of same. When 3UK removed the '3 Like Home' facility, you had to show that you had used it in the previous 12 months. When O2 UK began charging for British 0870 numbers, you had to show that you had used them at least once. O2.ie's recent changes were to the detriment of their iPhone customers and so you were free to get out of contract.

Likewise, 3 Ireland when they sneakily changed the allowance on their mobile broadband contracts -only to change their minds back a month later, after I had got out of contract. Crazy

Again i have to say its irrelevant, Regulation 17 of the EC law 2003 Simply states that if they have ANY change in the current terms and conditions that they must notify you 30 days in advance and if you choose not to stay with them you can leave on your on accord without penalty.

I have infact left three last year under the same rule, Only reason i used it was because i wanted to change from relax 90 to best of both and there was no way of doing so because they don't allow it, Even though i was going to be paying them more money every month.

Either way it doesn't matter, A change is a change, That is all that is required.

Thor wrote: »
    Again i have to say its irrelevant, Regulation 17 of the EC law 2003 Simply states that if they have ANY change in the current terms and conditions that they must notify you 30 days in advance and if you choose not to stay with them you can leave on your on accord without penalty.

I have infact left three last year under the same rule, Only reason i used it was because i wanted to change from relax 90 to best of both and there was no way of doing so because they don't allow it, Even though i was going to be paying them more money every month.

Either way it doesn't matter, A change is a change, That is all that is required.

Well, if you choose to leave under that clause, let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daveccork

Also, re GPRS can people who are getting regularly please let me know if your network is set to automatic ? I presume it is (also data roaming on I presume?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭DonRosco

We all signed up in various stores around the country, no mention was made of 3 Like Home being anything other than a given. Again, where do you see mention of it being an option on their website?

I was asked whether I wanted to sign up for it or ordinary roaming when I bought my phone. I'm not sure that makes sense, given that roaming rates are set by the eu, but that's how it was presented to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

daveccork wrote: »
    Also, re GPRS can people who are getting regularly please let me know if your network is set to automatic ? I presume it is (also data roaming on I presume?)
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Network is automatic
    Roaming is off
    I reset my network settings
    Have carrier settings installed
    3pay plan
    iPhone 4
    GPRS working fine
    3G working fine

Plus I ported from O2

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for very detailed response

Ok- same as me exactly as I have alternated between roaming on and off. Last network reset brought GPRS back again but never gangs around long. Was in Mahon and cork city today and no issues with 3G but still some high density areas not covered (Map says they are)

Also just to confirm.... Carrier version 7.1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

I had the GPRS issue earlier on and noticed that there was a network called "3 (3G)" as well as 3, switched to the 3 (3G) one and it worked fine. Apologies if I'm way late with that....

Also, I rang three to confirm I had 3 like home and roaming enabled on my phone and was told that data doesn't come out of your addon, you use flex-units towards it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭decies

Was outside clonmel today got GPRS. Back i'n Waterford hosp where I couldn't get 3G steady yesterday. Today after on and off airport mode. Getting 3 g at 45 k lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I was asked if I wanted to opt into or out of the EU tariff. The guy explained opting in mention I got the EU rate everywhere but no 3 like hom. Opting out got me 3 like home rates on 3 networks and outside that I got more expensive calls and texts but it was free to receive calls no matter where in the EU I was. I asked how could they charge more than the EU and he replied cause it would be my choice to opt in or out. The benefit was 3 like home rates and free to receive calls on every EU network while making calls and sending texts were only a couple of cent more

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

Network set to Automatic ( I did change it to 3 and back to automatic ,that's when my gprs showed up and stayed)
    Roaming off
    I didn't reset my network settings but I can't see it doing any harm
    Ported from O2
    iPhone 4
    Carrier version 7.1

On a side note I just drove back from Doneraile Park to Glenville on secondary roads ( in other words the middle of nowhere ) and I had 3G streaming Radio (Tunein Radio app) the whole way without a drop. At least until I got to my house which is in a non 3G area for any Network. GPRS circle showed up straight away! I must say I was seriously impressed with the coverage.

I really hope these issues get sorted for you. I know Glanmire fairly well and it has a lot of 3G balckspots (particularly around SuperValu)

Walkman wrote: »
    I was asked if I wanted to opt into or out of the EU tariff. The guy explained opting in mention I got the EU rate everywhere but no 3 like hom. Opting out got me 3 like home rates on 3 networks and outside that I got more expensive calls and texts but it was free to receive calls no matter where in the EU I was. I asked how could they charge more than the EU and he replied cause it would be my choice to opt in or out. The benefit was 3 like home rates and free to receive calls on every EU network while making calls and sending texts were only a couple of cent more

First I have heard of this and nothing anywhere on their site to back up what this employee is claiming. He is perhaps suffering from what we doctors call "talking through his sphincter".

Besides, on the Planet 3 preamble, there is a long and detailed diatribe about how wonderful 3 is in keeping roaming prices low and that *in addition*, there is also 3 Like Home in 3 territories. Nothing about either/or.

As I tweeted just the other day "I long for the day that I ring Mumbai and they actually know more about THEIR service/s than I do".

Yep 7.1

Also a correction: I have data roaming turned on.

You could be in an area where VF don't have GPRS maybe?

I know thee will be blakcspots but take my home for example hours with 3G, hours with GPRS, hours with nothing ( not a major panic as i have wifi but principle is the problem). Reset network settings and immediate 3G or GPRS

Have same experience various places.

I know thee will be blakcspots but take my home for example hours with 3G, hours with GPRS, hours with nothing ( not a major panic as i have wifi but principle is the problem). Reset network settings and immediate 3G or GPRS

Have same experience various places.

Bar the antenna maybe your phone or sim is faulty?

As I tweeted just the other day "I long for the day that I ring Mumbai and they actually know more about THEIR service/s than I do".

LMAO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

@ Culabula, 3 like home is an opt in service. I too had to specify when I was in the shop and it was explained that its that or eu roaming. That clarified why when i went through the buy online process (but didnt actually buy anything) it would not progress untill i selected wether or not I wanted to accept eu roaming rates. The website was very vague, but its definately a choice. Perhaps the default is 3 like home and a few shop workers are just going into the detail, buts its definately there,

Can someone confirm that when using 3 like home that data comes out of your flexi-units and NOT your add-on? Thats quite an important detail.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    @ Culabula, 3 like home is an opt in service. I too had to specify when I was in the shop and it was explained that its that or eu roaming. That clarified why when i went through the buy online process (but didnt actually buy anything) it would not progress untill i selected wether or not I wanted to accept eu roaming rates. The website was very vague, but its definately a choice. Perhaps the default is 3 like home and a few shop workers are just going into the detail, buts its definately there,

Can someone confirm that when using 3 like home that data comes out of your flexi-units and NOT your add-on? Thats quite an important detail.

Data comes out of my 2Gb allowance whether on 3 IRL or roaming on 3 Like Home -why would it come out of my flexi-units? The whole notion of the system is that it works EXACTLY like at home. Therefore if and when I exhaust my 2Gb, data will then come out of the units at 500kb per unit whether I am on 3IRL or a 3 Like Home network.

Data comes out of my 2Gb allowance whether on 3 IRL or roaming on 3 Like Home -why would it come out of my flexi-units? The whole notion of the system is that it works EXACTLY like at home. Therefore if and when I exhaust my 2Gb, data will then come out of the units at 500kb per unit whether I am on 3IRL or a 3 Like Home network.

lol, 3 exactly the same as home doesn't have the same ring to it though, does it :)
    You can use your flexi-units to call or text back to Ireland and browse the internet. Once you've used your allowance, you’ll be charged at the prices below:
    http://www.three.ie/products_services/international/3likehome_pricing.htm

I'm going to HK in October, and am frequently up north, so thats why I'd be especially interested. If the data is coming out of your data add on (2gig), then that seems like happy days.

I do not believe that any EU Roaming option impacts in the slightest on 3 Like Home. You may well have to accept EU roaming rates as a requirement but this does not change the benefits of roaming on another 3 network. I have 7 SIMs here to back up what I am saying.

As for what 3 say, why only two days ago Mumbai told me that a) i could not use data on 3UK (wrong), I could not use a Mobile Broadband add-on as a modem (wrong), data would not tether with an iPhone outside the State (wrong) and that in fact I was delusional and was not even making this call to her for free (despite the fact that I had no credit), at which point I shot her and have been arrested for murder.

In a world where even Steve Jobs says that you cannot use an iPhone SIM in an iPad (wrong) then the clear message is listen to no one other than Cúlabúla.

lol, 3 exactly the same as home doesn't have the same ring to it though, does it :)

http://www.three.ie/products_services/international/3likehome_pricing.htm

I'm going to HK in October, and am frequently up north, so thats why I'd be especially interested. If the data is coming out of your data add on (2gig), then that seems like happy days.

Tre Italia calls it "come a casa" which I rather like.

Data always comes out of your 2Gb allowance; in the case of my sweetheart it comes out of her units as she slums it on one of the lesser tariffs where 1 unit = 1 minute talktime, 3 SMS or 1mb data.

Bless.

...at which point I shot her and have been arrested for murder.

LOL that's class

I do not believe that any EU Roaming option impacts in the slightest on 3 Like Home. You may well have to accept EU roaming rates as a requirement but this does not change the benefits of roaming on another 3 network. I have 7 SIMs here to back up what I am saying.

As for what 3 say, why only two days ago Mumbai told me that a) i could not use data on 3UK (wrong), I could not use a Mobile Broadband add-on as a modem (wrong), data would not tether with an iPhone outside the State (wrong) and that in fact I was delusional and was not even making this call to her for free (despite the fact that I had no credit), at which point I shot her and have been arrested for murder.

In a world where even Steve Jobs says that you cannot use an iPhone SIM in an iPad (wrong) then the clear message is listen to no one other than Cúlabúla.

No, you have to decline this to accept 3 like home, european roaming rates is not an "accept to continue" part of buying the phone that they have incorporated.
    You may disagree with it, and you may have a completely valid arguement against the validity of what they are doing, but the fact remains that myself and several others were asked which we wanted, in what I assume to be a selection of shops.
    BTW I am perfectly happy to accept that they are wrong in what they are doing (not that they are doing it) but because I am not planning on going anywhere that is not covered by 3 like home anytime soon, it is of no immediate concern to me. Selfish, I know!

Regards the data add on (2 gig), i was just thinking the 3 like home is active a lot longer than the plans that now include the 2gig allowance, so maybe it just has not been updated accordingly. I will ring them tomorrow to check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 theneed2rock

cant wait to get it

No, you have to decline this to accept 3 like home, european roaming rates is not an "accept to continue" part of buying the phone that they have incorporated.
    You may disagree with it, and you may have a completely valid arguement against the validity of what they are doing, but the fact remains that myself and several others were asked which we wanted, in what I assume to be a selection of shops.
    BTW I am perfectly happy to accept that they are wrong in what they are doing (not that they are doing it) but because I am not planning on going anywhere that is not covered by 3 like home anytime soon, it is of no immediate concern to me. Selfish, I know!

Regards the data add on (2 gig), i was just thinking the 3 like home is active a lot longer than the plans that now include the 2gig allowance, so maybe it just has not been updated accordingly. I will ring them tomorrow to check that out.

Well, they must not have been aware of this in the variety of shops (Dublin, Galway and Cork) that I and my friends visited as no mention of this was made to any of us throughout the signup process. In addition, the iPhone and SIM-only tariffs ARE new and recent and posted on their website where they clearly state that 3 Like Home is one of the various bonuses that come with the tariff.

I'm no longer quite sure what point is being made but as far as I am concerned 3 Like Home still functions as it always did for Irish subs both in theory and more importantly, in practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 trueblood

From 3's Website..

3 Like Home With 3 Like Home, you can use your inclusive minutes to call standard Irish numbers when you are on any of the participating networks while abroad. The participating networks for Bill Pay are 3 Austria, 3 Australia, 3 Denmark, 3 Italy, 3 Hong Kong, 3 Sweden and 3 United Kingdom, The participating networks for 3Pay are 3 Austria, 3 Denmark, 3 Italy, 3 Sweden and 3 United Kingdom.
    EU Roaming Add On: This add-on is optional and is only available to customers on Flex or Flex Max plans. Customers who subscribe to this add-on will avail of the standard roaming rates (see Page 13 for the respective rates) instead of the preferential 3 Like Home rates.

Buried in their pricing PDF. Bit sneaky.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement