Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

trueblood wrote: »
    From 3's Website..

3 Like Home With 3 Like Home, you can use your inclusive minutes to call standard Irish numbers when you are on any of the participating networks while abroad. The participating networks for Bill Pay are 3 Austria, 3 Australia, 3 Denmark, 3 Italy, 3 Hong Kong, 3 Sweden and 3 United Kingdom, The participating networks for 3Pay are 3 Austria, 3 Denmark, 3 Italy, 3 Sweden and 3 United Kingdom.
    EU Roaming Add On: This add-on is optional and is only available to customers on Flex or Flex Max plans. Customers who subscribe to this add-on will avail of the standard roaming rates (see Page 13 for the respective rates) instead of the preferential 3 Like Home rates.

Buried in their pricing PDF. Bit sneaky.

So, it's the EU roaming add-on that is optional and not 3 Like Home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 trueblood

culabula wrote: »

Looks like it, although its not clear how it effects roaming rates if you decline and, if you accept, whether it just applies to the rates you pay while you're outside your flexiunits or if it negates 3 like home completely.

Read for yourselves page 13

http://www.three.ie/pdf/current-priceguide.pdf

trueblood wrote: »
    Looks like it, although its not clear if it just applies to the rates you pay while you're outside your flexiunits or if it negates 3 like home completely.

Read for yourselves page 13

http://www.three.ie/pdf/current-priceguide.pdf

Nope, I have now read and re-read this and maintain my original position that this does not impact on the availability or use of 3 Like Home in any way save for out-of-bundle use. 3 Like Home continues to be the "default" option in that it is available to all subs roaming in 3 countries and you may use voice, SMS and data while there as you would at home. Should you have no flexi-units left you are either charged at 3 Like Home rates or, should you have opted for the EU Roaming add-on, itself priced at zero, you will instead be charged at at those rates.

But 3 Like Home per se is not an add-on, nor do you opt in or out of it. You simply either use it or you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Irish fanboy

I have not seen 2g data on my iphone since the so called fix was released on Friday.I have done all the usual restores and reset network settings etc and still no joy.
    Can somebody confirm they have gprs data working consistently since the fix was issued?
    I have tried in numerous locations south dublin, north , Drogheda and everywhere in between.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 trueblood

Nope, I have now read and re-read this and maintain my original position that this does not impact on the availability or use of 3 Like Home in any way save for out-of-bundle use. 3 Like Home continues to be the "default" option in that it is available to all subs roaming in 3 countries and you may use voice, SMS and data while there as you would at home. Should you have no flexi-units left you are either charged at 3 Like Home rates or, should you have opted for the EU Roaming add-on, itself priced at zero, you will instead be charged at at those rates.

But 3 Like Home per se is not an add-on, nor do you opt in or out of it. You simply either use it or you don't.

I agree. I think it is just out of bundle 3 like home rates that are effected by opting in or out of EU roaming. It would be good to know if it has an impact on other roaming rates though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Is it just me or has the option to go to Planet 3 disappeared from the menu?

Edit: Found it, it's hidden deep within the depths of the menu. Where it would naturally be.

rivalius13 wrote: »
    Is it just me or has the option to go to Planet 3 disappeared from the menu?

It's still there. Save it to your home screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daveccork

As well as my earlier 3G related posts maybe I should also mention that there is an issue with my proximity sensor. Is that an issue for anyone else experiencing GPRS / 3G issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

Just to add my 10 cent!

I have used 3 Like Home in Austria and the UK over the last 5 years (joined just after they arrived in Ireland) on the full variety of packages - 3 Pay, Best of Both and Contract - with "normal" phones and also the iPhone 3G and 4, and found that what 3 promise with the 3 Like Home service is 100% true. Use data, comes out of allowance; use free minutes to phone Ireland, comes out of allowance etc etc...

I have never opted in or out of this service, it just works.

As for iPhone 3G or 4 with 3 Ireland, yes I have the odd drop of data/signal but nothing terrifying! I find that calls swap from 3G to 2G if the signal is weak but the iPhone does not drop the call so fantastic. Chuffed that 3 have added data to 2G but around the Greater Dublin Area I have found the 3G network to be enough for my needs which is checking email, downloading apps and streaming podcasts and general browsing. No more than 250Mb per month usage.

Finally, as we all know, their Customer Service is not good but surely it can only improve. Remember how bad NTL was, they have improved as they realised they had to if they wanted customers. Well, I can only assume 3 want our custom more than ever with the huge increase in advertising and the likes in the last 6 months.

One thing that makes me stay with 3 is their cheap tariffs but the promise that if their network is poor then I can be sure that the Vodafone network will ensure I can at least make calls or text without paying for the most expensive network (VF on the cheap!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Network is automatic
    Roaming is off
    I reset my network settings
    Have carrier settings installed
    3pay plan
    iPhone 4
    GPRS working fine
    3G working fine

OK ... a few questions.

1. I've reset my network settings. How do I now get the carrier settings installed?

2. Why do you have roaming off?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daveccork

You can get the new settings pushed to the phone automatically or by checking for updates to software for the phone via iTunes. Before you do anything though check what version you have by going to : settings-general-about. the carrier should read three Ireland 7.1 if you are up to date

Don't think data roaming matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

daveccork wrote: »
    You can get the new settings pushed to the phone automatically or by checking for updates to software for the phone via iTunes. Before you do anything though check what version you have by going to : settings-general-about. the carrier should read three Ireland 7.1 if you are up to date

Don't think data roaming matters

Cheers for that davecork.

I've checked settings-general-about and it says "3 Ireland 7.1". Is this definitely the most up to date carrier setting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

ToadVine wrote: »
    Cheers for that davecork.

I've checked settings-general-about and it says "3 Ireland 7.1". Is this definitely the most up to date carrier setting?

Yes, that is definitely the most up to date carrier setting for the three Ireland network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can have either or but not both, the only reason you'd
    Pick the eu roaming add on is if your a big
    Texter while abroad other wise keep 3 like home.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭chenguin

I have not seen 2g data on my iphone since the so called fix was released on Friday.I have done all the usual restores and reset network settings etc and still no joy.
    Can somebody confirm they have gprs data working consistently since the fix was issued?
    I have tried in numerous locations south dublin, north , Drogheda and everywhere in between.
    Cheers

I had the same issue. It wasnt until i just turned the phone off and on again normally (as in doing it without it being part if a restore or anything) that it started to work.

You can have either or but not both, the only reason you'd
    Pick the eu roaming add on is if your a big
    Texter while abroad other wise keep 3 like home.

No, I'm afraid you can have both. The EU add-on does not cancel 3 Like Home, merely alters it slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭decies

Quick question for 3 network should i leave data roaming on or off. What are the advantages either way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

FOR THOSE STILL NOT GETTING GPRS I DID THE FOLLOWING AND IT WORKED FOR ME:

No matter what i did reset network, data on/off etc this is the only way it worked for me and stayed working since last night
    Settings
    Carrier
    Select meteor if available
    Select o2 if available
    Select 3 (Not 3 3g)
    The circle should now appear
    If it does select automatic again and it seems to unstick whatever is stuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

decies wrote: »
    Quick question for 3 network should i leave data roaming on or off. What are the advantages either way?

Leave it on. Advantage is it allows you use GPRS where there is no 3G. Disadvange is that if you magically end up in a country where 3 Like Home is not enabled and don't realise it, you will rack up roaming charges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Johnzy Fitzgerald

corklad32 wrote: »

No matter what i did reset network, data on/off etc this is the only way it worked for me and stayed working since last night
    Settings
    Carrier
    Select o2 if available
    Select 3 (Not 3 3g)

Thank you! That worked for me straight away (well actually on my second attempt, as I had to switch data roaming on).
    I'm actually posting this from GPRS (not that I have to).
    I'm in Tralee by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

slasher_65 wrote: »
    Leave it on. Advantage is it allows you use GPRS where there is no 3G. Disadvange is that if you magically end up in a country where 3 Like Home is not enabled and don't realise it, you will rack up roaming charges.

I have Data roaming off and gprs is working fine for me. You don't need data roaming on to use VF's gprs. It works as if it's 3's own network.

I'd definitely leave Data roaming off for the disadvantage you mentioned above.

Thank you! That worked for me straight away (well actually on my second attempt, as I had to switch data roaming on).
    I'm actually posting this from GPRS (not that I have to).
    I'm in Tralee by the way.

Good stuff. It was wrecking my head and all 3 suggested was new sim, new phone. Mines working away now merrily switching between 3g and gprs. There's some kind of a bug in it cos i know a few users with exactly the same issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Settings
    Carrier
    Select o2 if available
    Select 3 (Not 3 3g)
    Legend, thank you !! Worked perfect :D

NothingMan wrote: »
    I have Data roaming off and gprs is working fine for me. You don't need data roaming on to use VF's gprs. It works as if it's 3's own network.

I'd definitely leave Data roaming off for the disadvantage you mentioned above.
    If i turn data roaming off my circle disappears and doesn't come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Armedocr

Hey lads I posted earlier on in the thread that I was having difficulty sending txts. Everythings been reset, message centre is correct and I've rang 3. They "fixed" it by getting me to switch my carrier to 3 (3g).

So the problem comes down to I can send txts all day long as long as I'm getting 3g but as soon as I lose 3g I'm unable to send txts...yet I can make phonecalls all day long.

It's kinda wrecking my head as I'm outside of town (Tralee) and 80% of the time I'm not picking up 3g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

If i turn data roaming off my circle disappears and doesn't come back.

Maybe it just doesn't like you very much. :p

I don't know why that is, works fine for me. But there are a lot of people having issues that others aren't.

Just tried it with data roaming off (as you can see in the screenshot) and it still works.

300e2bd7.jpg

Yes i know we all know about that but today im getting no service a lot (3 times that i know about) in the top left corner where there should be a signal - anyone else? Cork City? Maybe faulty phone or sim but just wondering

Mine is acting up a bit too. It's not affecting me too much as I usually have a wifi connection, but it's still not acceptable. It's very undependable.
    It's definitely nothing to do with my location, because looking right out my apartment window I can see a big Vodafone (GSM and 3G) mast, less than 100 yards away. Also there's a 3 mast around the corner from where I'm living.
    I haven't been too bothered all along as it was mentioned that they'd be working on a solution, but now I left wondering "is this it?". Hopfully not.
    It would be nice to hear back from 3 on whether or not "the fix" is complete (all over Ireland) or if they're still working on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Settings
    Carrier
    Select o2 if available
    Select 3 (Not 3 3g)

This fix does not work for me, I just get 3 no circle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement