Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 paulhaze

I'm done, I'm out, so long 3 and thanks for all the fish!
    I have been following and contributing to this thread since early days, but today was the end of my extended 14 day cooling off from 3 to see how Friday's fix worked out.
    It has been better over the weekend with the option of going to GPRS when no 3G is available (which is a lot) but is wasn't consistent and that is my main worry with 3, they are a bit all over the place at present. I do think they will get it right eventually, but I haven't the patience and 18 months is a long to wait if they don't sort themselves out.

Best of luck to the rest of you guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 flymoll

Gigiwagga wrote: »
    This fix does not work for me, I just get 3 no circle.

2g data gone all day fix above does nothing anybody else in same sinking boat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 .stranger

flymoll wrote: »
    2g data gone all day fix above does nothing anybody else in same sinking boat

GPRS seems to be up and down for the last couple of days. Can't spot a pattern :) Appears to be some kind of technological magic from Three :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

.stranger wrote: »
    GPRS seems to be up and down for the last couple of days. Can't spot a pattern :) Appears to be some kind of technological magic from Three :D

3, the network that likes to keep you guessing!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm out aswell....

gonna jump ship to vodafone tomorrow i think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Irish fanboy

Seriously guys , get away from this network now while you have the chance.It will save alot of stress in the long run.Pay a bit extra with vodafone or O2.You know the score , you get what you pay for and all that.
    I have tried to move to Vodafone this morning but 3 are holding my number ransom because of "technical Issues " on the account which nobody in mumbai can explain.
    What a load of crap!!!
    Thank God I jumped ship , I just have enough of this messing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Anybody having issues again with the iPhone refusing to take hold of the 3G network, and sticking on GPRS 100% of the time? In Dublin City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Ya im having problems too in Cork. I need to go in and manually select 3 before gprs kicks in today. It's soo ****e its unbelievable. I was also getting no service a lot on the handset yesterday so am wondering if ive a faulty handset. Tried a new sim but its more or less the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

slasher_65 wrote: »
    Anybody having issues again with the iPhone refusing to take hold of the 3G network, and sticking on GPRS 100% of the time? In Dublin City.

I'm tethering to my iPad at Cows Lane, Temple bar where I'm writing this. Signal was fine from Jervis St to where I am now.

Follow up; walked from there to Thomas St listening to RTE radio without a hiccup.

You didnt turn 3g off did you?
    (not trying to be funny or anything)

• Advertisement

Jimdagym wrote: »
    You didnt turn 3g off did you?
    (not trying to be funny or anything)

Nope! :D

It's actually working now. However, when I went in to check the network carrier (I'm on automatic) the iPhone INSTANTLY lost 3G access, as well as GPRS. What the hell? Three can't be blamed for THAT, can it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

It's actually working now. However, when I went in to check the network carrier (I'm on automatic) the iPhone INSTANTLY lost 3G access, as well as GPRS. What the hell? Three can't be blamed for THAT, can it?
    I think it's supposed to do that.

cian1500ww wrote: »
    I think it's supposed to do that.

What? Really? How could that be in any way helpful? It's not as if I changed anything, I just viewed the setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Can i ask all those leaving 3, what happens to your 18 month contract?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

If you leave, and give back the phone, you're 18 month contract is finished....you just get the option to port your number to a different carrier...or stay with 3 on a non iphone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Can i ask all those leaving 3, what happens to your 18 month contract?

If you order online, you have 14 days. In a shop, you have 7 days, though 3 seem to give you 14 days anyway.

What that means is that if you return your phone undamaged within 14 days, you can get out of your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

That's a perfect example of a bad Manager. He has obviously not a clue about phones.
    iPhone is not a Mobile Phone, it's a Smartphone. For that reason alone, it must be able to do more than just make calls and send txt messages.

And Yes the iPhone works perfectly on the Tree Network. I have an iPhone 3G and on of my friends has an iPhone 3Gs.
    If you want to use the internet, all you have to do is to enter Three's internet username/password in the network settings. Those settings can be found on the Three website.

I guess that Three Manager had not a clue about Internet on the Phone or what the iPhone even is.

Has anyone quit under the 30 day apple refund policy? As in you ring apple and they refund you the cost of the phone if it's not performing on the network as expected? I'm just wondering do apple then advise your carrier to let you out of the 18 month contract or do you have to contact 3 directly. It should be seamless with 3 as its 3 who are telling people about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

What? Really? How could that be in any way helpful? It's not as if I changed anything, I just viewed the setting.

When you go in to view the setting, the iPhone searches for available networks. In order to do that, it has to drop the connection to your current network - and so you lose the 3G temporarily while it is searching.

All phones do this, it is like your car radio searching for RDS alternative stations, it has to cut out briefly to go searching!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

Nope! :D

My iPhone 3G on Meteor does the same. That's absolutely normal. When looking for a new signal, it drops the current one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

When you go in to view the setting, the iPhone searches for available networks. In order to do that, it has to drop the connection to your current network - and so you lose the 3G temporarily while it is searching.

All phones do this, it is like your car radio searching for RDS alternative stations, it has to cut out briefly to go searching!

Cheers, it makes sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 paulhaze

corklad32 wrote: »
    Has anyone quit under the 30 day apple refund policy? As in you ring apple and they refund you the cost of the phone if it's not performing on the network as expected? I'm just wondering do apple then advise your carrier to let you out of the 18 month contract or do you have to contact 3 directly. It should be seamless with 3 as its 3 who are telling people about it.

They were very unclear on this in my local 3 store, so instead of taking the risk I just returned the phone as it was day 14 of the cooling off period.
    Warning - 3 did not want to let me go. Instead of porting my number to Vodaphone, they cancelled it so I have spent the day talking to the nice people in India. They say it will be sorted tomorrow lunchtime.

Leave 3 - save yourself the headache

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

paulhaze wrote: »
    Warning - 3 did not want to let me go. Instead of porting my number to Vodaphone, they cancelled it so I have spent the day talking to the nice people in India. They say it will be sorted tomorrow lunchtime.

They cancelled your account but your number is still free to port off the network, did you place a port request with Vodafone?

I/ve been holding off the carrier setting 7.1 prompts since i got the phone. Can anyone give me a reason to keep doing this, other than the ability to knock 3g off? I am starting to give in.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I/ve been holding off the carrier setting 7.1 prompts since i got the phone. Can anyone give me a reason to keep doing this, other than the ability to knock 3g off? I am starting to give in.....

Do you not always see the annoying Call Forwarding message every time you make a call? 7.1 fixes that.

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Do you not always see the annoying Call Forwarding message every time you make a call? 7.1 fixes that.

Sold! Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

fbradyirl wrote: »

7.1 what.
    that message does my head in too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

I am having the exact same issues with my iphone4. network is often just 3 even though I am in a strong 3g areas and I had 3g earlier. Airplane mode, manually selecting carrier etc sometimes works. But I have no GPRS data at all ever even since the 13th. I have tried all the suggestions and I also have carrier settings 7.1

I'm not sure if there is anything we can do to get three to take this really seriously. I am being told that it is just an iphone issue and their data works fine for other phones but I don't believe that. I have started a poll in the mobile forum to see how many people have the issue and what phone they have. Please vote so that we can see what the statistics are like and maybe pass them onto three to see if it helps them to get the finger out and fix this.

I swear I had better phone coverage in 1996 on 088!!

Here is the link to the other poll
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056003333

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

7.1 what.
    that message does my head in too

This is the "Update carrier settings" you see when you sync to iTunes. Select Yes and carrier settings 7.1 are installed. (make sure your PC is connected to the web when syncing)

• Advertisement

Kaskade wrote: »
    I am having the exact same issues with my iphone4. network is often just 3 even though I am in a strong 3g areas and I had 3g earlier. Airplane mode, manually selecting carrier etc sometimes works. But I have no GPRS data at all ever even since the 13th. I have tried all the suggestions and I also have carrier settings 7.1

I'm not sure if there is anything we can do to get three to take this really seriously. I am being told that it is just an iphone issue and their data works fine for other phones but I don't believe that. I have started a poll in the mobile forum to see how many people have the issue and what phone they have. Please vote so that we can see what the statistics are like and maybe pass them onto three to see if it helps them to get the finger out and fix this.

I swear I had better phone coverage in 1996 on 088!!

Here is the link to the other poll
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056003333

I agree re the coverage in 1996!!
    I've started the cancellation process this morning. I've wasted way too much time on this to date and just want to move on. Im on about day 19 of my contract so i'll let ye know how i get on re the whole 14 day thing. I got iphone level 2 support to agree to put a note on my a/c this morning so i then rang cancellations. A chap answered who is just taking names and numbers as the dept is too busy - enough said!!

Can someone please advise should i now go for o2 or vodafone - do either have stock of the 32gb one. Ill have to get something really straight away and surely both of these networks have to be more reliable than 3. 3 might let me hold on for a day or 2 - i'll see how long i can drag it out until i get signed up elsewhere but am interested to see how they handle day 19. I think it should be fine as we were all told wait until afetr the weekend just gone and if you dont see massive improvements then you can cancel Time will tell........

I ported my 085 in to 3 i assume its going to be a disaster trying to port to 086 or 087 :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement