Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

culabula wrote: »
    You can certainly stick a 3IRL SIM in an iPad and use the tre.it APN as it is possible to adjust the APN.
    You can adjust it on the iPhone with one of the Cydia apps but I don't think the issue is APN related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

culabula wrote: »
    At present and with regard to iPhone 4, the 3UK SIM will have a constant 5 bars and will hold a call where the 3IRL won't. In fact the 3IRL has to report "no service" south of Drogheda before the 3UK will eventually surrender and go down to 1 bar.

I assume both the 3UK and 3IRL phone were iPhone 4 in the above case, otherwise the test is meaningless as you are comparing apples to oranges.

Next, lock both phones to 3 IRL so they can't roam off the network to some other network. Then stop at the spot where the 3 IRL phone completely lost signal and pull out the 3UK phone. Make sure you are not touching any of the phones (avoiding the death grip). Does the 3UK phone have signal? THAT is a meaningful test, everything else is hand waving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

blaz wrote: »
    I assume both the 3UK and 3IRL phone were iPhone 4 in the above case, otherwise the test is meaningless as you are comparing apples to oranges.

Next, lock both phones to 3 IRL so they can't roam off the network to some other network. Then stop at the spot where the 3 IRL phone completely lost signal and pull out the 3UK phone. Make sure you are not touching any of the phones (avoiding the death grip). Does the 3UK phone have signal? THAT is a meaningful test, everything else is hand waving.

Of course I am comparing two iPhone 4s. And all that you describe I have done SO many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

blaz wrote: »

Seriously, how many hoops do you want him to jump through? He told you his experience. He is not trying to pimp the iPhone at the world trade fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 daveccork

Anbody having problems with wifi on iPhone 4? Shows it as being connected but mails / browser timing out, slow. Sometimes it ok, sometimes not. Have iPad, laptop, desktop and iPhone 3GS running off the network at different times without issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Dave your home broadband isn't with Vodafone by any chance? Sounds like a problem with your broadband rather than the phone.

Thanks for response
    Broadband with eircom- I am resigned the fact it is a problem between the router and phone. Signal b /g/ n etc. Hoping someone identified (and resolved) the issue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

Had a slight problem with Wi-Fi...iPhone 4 was slower than my 3GS when opening the same pages....I restarted the router and everything was perfect and it's now flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

daveccork wrote: »
    Anbody having problems with wifi on iPhone 4? Shows it as being connected but mails / browser timing out, slow. Sometimes it ok, sometimes not. Have iPad, laptop, desktop and iPhone 3GS running off the network at different times without issue

Apple replaced my iPhone 4 today for exactly the same problem. Restarting the router didn't work for me and anyway, I was having exactly the same problem on every wifi network I connected to. It's a known issue - have a look on the apple forum.

Fionagus wrote: »
    Apple replaced my iPhone 4 today for exactly the same problem. Restarting the router didn't work for me and anyway, I was having exactly the same problem on every wifi network I connected to. It's a known issue - have a look on the apple forum.

Thanks for that. Ya i have done some reading (and i have a new phone today also) but the issue is still there (my previous reason for changing the phone was the proximity sensor which caused me to do some very annoying things in calls)

My issues are not as severe as other cases i have read and restarting router or resetting phone addresses it. Must check firmware on router too. Apparently iPhone 4 prefers 802 n whereas my router (eircom) is b and g.

Will keep trying to sort it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

I gave back the iPhone to 3 and switched to Vodafone yesterday. The guys in 3 tech support were polite and it was easy to explain the network problems I was having. The guys in the Grafton street were fine when I handed it back... the Tech support guy had put a note on my account.

The port to VF only came through at 10 this morning so I was wityhout for a while. So far so good... SpeedTest reports 2.5 Mb download and 1.2 Mb upload on 3 bars on Baggot Street Bridge. Hopefully Celbridge will be better than it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Im awaiting a phone call back from cancellations - im outside my 14 days though but im hoping i can get out. Not sure how the 30 day thing with Apple would works otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭shotgun mike

was anyone else under the impression they'd get a 100 bonus credit for porting number over to 3? just found out this isn't applicable to iphone customers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

was anyone else under the impression they'd get a 100 bonus credit for porting number over to 3? just found out this isn't applicable to iphone customers...
    T's & C's:
    http://www.three.ie/terms/billpay_porting_terms.htm
    # The €50.00 credit will be applied to your second bill if you sign up to a Classic Max 12 month contract. €100 credit will be applied to your second bill if you sign up to a Super Flex or Mega Flex 12 month contract.
    # €100.00 credit will be applied to your fourth bill if you sign up to Classic Flex Max, Super Flex max, Mega Flex-Max or Ultimate Flex Max SIM Only plans. The credit will not be applied if your account is in arrears.
    All of the iPhone plans are "Max" plans, so you can't get this credit if you buy a phone and get a "max" plan. Sneaky enough, glad I didn't see this before I switched :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 paulhaze

after 72 hours of waiting 3 have finally let my number be ported over to VF. If anybody is doing the same thing don't let 3 cancel your number until it has been ported cause VF cant port inactive numbers.
    Its amazing the iphone 4 actually works now, perfect, its all so simple.

I am in the process. What do i need them to do? Tell them to make it pay as you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭shotgun mike

seamus wrote: »
    T's & C's:
    http://www.three.ie/terms/billpay_porting_terms.htm

All of the iPhone plans are "Max" plans, so you can't get this credit if you buy a phone and get a "max" plan. Sneaky enough, glad I didn't see this before I switched :D

Maybe my brain isn't working this morning, but I don't understand! why exactly don't you get it... because its sim only? sorry but the guy in the shop told me I'd get it before i ordered the phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Maybe my brain isn't working this morning, but I don't understand! why exactly don't you get it... because its sim only? sorry but the guy in the shop told me I'd get it before i ordered the phone!
    He probably shouldn't have. From the T's & C's, it looks like you only get €100 credit if you move to Three and bring your existing iPhone with you. If you move to Three *and* buy an iPhone from them, you don't get anything.

I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

seamus wrote: »
    He probably shouldn't have. From the T's & C's, it looks like you only get €100 credit if you move to Three and bring your existing iPhone with you. If you move to Three *and* buy an iPhone from them, you don't get anything.

I could be wrong though.

That IS sneaky! Actually kind of sick that they would write that bit in there just so they wouldn't have to give it to iPhone users.

Although I do know at least one person who was given €100 for porting their number and getting an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 paulhaze

corklad32 wrote: »
    I am in the process. What do i need them to do? Tell them to make it pay as you go?

If they have already cancelled your number before it has been ported you need to ring 3 and tell them to set you up with a temporary 3 pay number, this will bring your old number back to life.
    Then when you are on to VF make sure to tell them that you are porting over from 3 pay to bill, i made the mistake of telling them it was bill to bill and nothing happened for days.

• Advertisement

Cool ill do that so. If the ****ers ever ring me back about the cancellation that is!

Re: the 100 euro, I was told in the shop that it didnt cover any of the smartphone plans.

Since I got the phone I have had 5 bar 3g in my house all the time. Yesterday when I woke up I had no 3g at all. I finally rang them, and they had a mast down beside me, and were working on it, finally came back up around 11 today. It can be worth the phonecall if there is a sudden drop in your area, even if its just to log the complaint. If they dont know, they cant fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

corklad32 wrote: »

No, you need to do nothing. Vodafone are under the impression every network is like them. Vodafone will not let you port off their network if you have an inactive account, 3 will.
    If you account with 3 is not active still give Vodafone the 3 account number and your port will go ahead as normal.
    If the account is active or not means nothing to Vodafone, all they do is request the number, if its an inactive account 3 will still release it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Re: the 100 euro, I was told in the shop that it didnt cover any of the smartphone plans.

Since I got the phone I have had 5 bar 3g in my house all the time. Yesterday when I woke up I had no 3g at all. I finally rang them, and they had a mast down beside me, and were working on it, finally came back up around 11 today. It can be worth the phonecall if there is a sudden drop in your area, even if its just to log the complaint. If they dont know, they cant fix it.

The 100€ does apply to the SIM-only plan, even the 30€ one, which is v cool.

Well managed to get out of the contract - with a lot of hassle! I was on day 21 but as i had to ring tech support practically every day since i got the phone it counted in my favor but it was still very difficult. The 30 day apple refund thing looks complicated so if you're thinking about getting out try and do it under the 14 day 3 policy. Ported off 3 iphone on to o2 ready to go in about 2 hours - very slick no hassle. I now need to port from o2 payg to o2 iphone tarriff in the morning - the carphone wh has my 32 gig in stock with my name on it! So long 3!!!

Joy joy joy - got my new iphone and it has 4.0.1 on it!! i was sure it would be 4.0.2!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Hey guys, can someone tell me the main issues you guys are having with the iPhone 4 on the 3 network? I've read through a lot of the thread but I don't have time to read it all, can someone please give me the jist of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭decies

Basically there complaining of poor 3G coverage and it coming and going and disappearing alltogether. You counter that with better tarrif plan . Free calls to landlines from middle of September . Am sticking with 3 I find it hard to believe other networks don't have 3G dropping issues to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

decies wrote: »
    Basically there complaining of poor 3G coverage and it coming and going and disappearing alltogether. You counter that with better tarrif plan . Free calls to landlines from middle of September . Am sticking with 3 I find it hard to believe other networks don't have 3G dropping issues to be honest.

I spent the whole weekend camping in Galway with no problems. Tethered my iPhone to my iPad so my son could surf, which we both did for hours, and I still have tons of data left till my next bill.

• Advertisement

naasrd wrote: »
    I spent the whole weekend camping in Galway with no problems. Tethered my iPhone to my iPad so my son could surf, which we both did for hours, and I still have tons of data left till my next bill.

I seriously doubt you can call it camping if you brought a laptop and iPhone. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement