Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭electrolinks

iPwnage wrote: »
    shouldnt of taken the texts as you can easily use your free extra 333 webtexts with eirtext or jelly apps !!

Having the same issues. Ported from 02. iPhone 4 on three.ie wont go to 2g network and 3g drops a lot, just like 02 used to.
    I tried the post from earlier about resetting the carrier, but it hasnt worked.

May leave three and return iphone on 14 day return policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

does 3 like home include data usage from your bundle if you are on classic flex with the 2gb?want to use data while in london.

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I've ported over and I'm having the problems.
    Kaskade wrote: »
    Yep we ported over from vodafone. But before we ported we used temp 083 numbers for 3 days and it didn't work on them either.

I have noticed though that when I hang up a call and I'm on the 2g network I see the blue o for 2/3 seconds and then it disappears.
    Having the same issues. Ported from 02. iPhone 4 on three.ie wont go to 2g network and 3g drops a lot, just like 02 used to.
    I tried the post from earlier about resetting the carrier, but it hasnt worked.

May leave three and return iphone on 14 day return policy
    It's interesting to see that most people with problems have ported over but I think there was people with new numbers back further in the thread that also had similar problems.
    Hopefully three are working on this, it'd be nice to hear back from them again.
    Spipov wrote: »
    does 3 like home include data usage from your bundle if you are on classic flex with the 2gb?want to use data while in london.

cheers
    I imagine it would but might be best to call customer services to make sure, don't want running up any huge bills :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

cheers

Yea you can no problem just make sure your on 3UK when you want to use it the same goes for calls and texts, there's no roaming charges when your using 3 like home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

cheers

Yes, absolutely and unequivocally.

• Advertisement

thanks for that. there was something i wanted to check with 3 and rang them (customer care). good god. they are like robots, just listening 2 minutes to them and you want to tear your hair, and theirs out.

my simple question was: im going to sign to your 30 day smartphone flex plan. however, before i do, i need to know:

dial 1913 - by the way, there are no options for non customers.
    after listening again and again for 3 minutes
    i pressed one for contract customers.
    3 - girl "whats your phone number and customer number"
    me " sorry, i havent signed up yet, i just need to ask a .."
    3 "im transferring you to sales. thank you".

"erm ok" to a hold tune...

3 " this is sanjeev from NBS customer sales helpline, how can i help"
    me "NBS?do you do general sales as well? i just need to ask a question"
    3 "i will try to answer your question"
    me:"can i roam internationally?" -
    3: "yes"
    3: "3 like home offers you same rates as ..."
    me " no, not 3 like home"
    me "i cant see mauritius in the roaming agreements, can i roam there?"
    3: "let me put you on hold sir"
    3: "thank you for waiting"
    3: "no we dont have this agreement, but you need to turn on full roaming"
    me: "does that mean i lose 3 like home?"
    3: "no, it works still"
    me: "so why not let full roaming work then at the start?"
    me: "never mind, dont answer that" <---really didnt want to know his answer.

and in all my wisdom, i forgot to ask if i needed to "pay" to activate full roaming, and how sure am i its working once its on, as i wouldnt be able to call them when in mauritius.

in fairness your man was helpful in a way. i just think im biased and stigmatised to 3's customer care and expect lies and the worst for some reason :( i feel ashamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

You need to pay €60 to activate full international roaming as it stands now you can roam in the EU and 3like home countries. This needs to be done 24 hours before you travel and the money will be credited to your next bill

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Delirio

thanks for that. there was something i wanted to check with 3 and rang them (customer care). good god. they are like robots, just listening 2 minutes to them and you want to tear your hair, and theirs out.

my simple question was: im going to sign to your 30 day smartphone flex plan. however, before i do, i need to know:

dial 1913 - by the way, there are no options for non customers.
    after listening again and again for 3 minutes
    i pressed one for contract customers.
    3 - girl "whats your phone number and customer number"
    me " sorry, i havent signed up yet, i just need to ask a .."
    3 "im transferring you to sales. thank you".

"erm ok" to a hold tune...

3 " this is sanjeev from NBS customer sales helpline, how can i help"
    me "NBS?do you do general sales as well? i just need to ask a question"
    3 "i will try to answer your question"
    me:"can i roam internationally?" -
    3: "yes"
    3: "3 like home offers you same rates as ..."
    me " no, not 3 like home"
    me "i cant see mauritius in the roaming agreements, can i roam there?"
    3: "let me put you on hold sir"
    3: "thank you for waiting"
    3: "no we dont have this agreement, but you need to turn on full roaming"
    me: "does that mean i lose 3 like home?"
    3: "no, it works still"
    me: "so why not let full roaming work then at the start?"
    me: "never mind, dont answer that" <---really didnt want to know his answer.

and in all my wisdom, i forgot to ask if i needed to "pay" to activate full roaming, and how sure am i its working once its on, as i wouldnt be able to call them when in mauritius.

in fairness your man was helpful in a way. i just think im biased and stigmatised to 3's customer care and expect lies and the worst for some reason :( i feel ashamed.

Let me clarify that I do not work for Three :) but I dont get the reason for you being ashamed. Apart from the fact there is no option for non customers when you call 1913 and they are like "robots", didn't they answer your simple question as you were expecting ?
    For example, in what other manner VF customer care could have told you that Mauritius is not covered in their roaming plan ?

Delirio wrote: »
    Let me clarify that I do not work for Three :) but I dont get the reason for you being ashamed. Apart from the fact there is no option for non customers when you call 1913 and they are like "robots", didn't they answer your simple question as you were expecting ?
    For example, in what other manner VF customer care could have told you that Mauritius is not covered in their roaming plan ?

i didnt say they didnt. and i said i was ashamed to say i stereotyped them, so was directed at myself, not them since they answered me and i didnt get a runaround as ive seen other people get in other threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Went to the Three store in Cavan to sign up for 3cover, the staff were totally incompetent and basically told me to put it on my house insurance and not bother them, they had more important things to do like spend half an hour explaining Best of Both to two attractive polish women.

• Advertisement

rivalius13 wrote: »
    Went to the Three store in Cavan to sign up for 3cover, the staff were totally incompetent and basically told me to put it on my house insurance and not bother them, they had more important things to do like spend half an hour explaining Best of Both to two attractive polish women.

Lucky them ! I wander what sort of 'Best of Both' they were trying to explain to these attractive ladies :D

i didnt say they didnt. and i said i was ashamed to say i stereotyped them, so was directed at myself, not them since they answered me and i didnt get a runaround as ive seen other people get in other threads.

What I find strange is that with Pay Monthly they do roam in Mauritius, but not on 3Pay. I was not aware you could have roaming differences between contracts....

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Finally got three to admit there was a problem with the iphone 4 on their network after 3 calls and about 4 hours of getting shunted about to different departments in the shambolic customer care. My advise to anyone thinking of moving to them is STAY WELL AWAY , you get what you pay for. O2 and Vodafone might be more expensive but they provide the service you pay for and the customer care guys actually know what they are talking about.Sorry to see the iphone 4 go back but after this I dont mind waiting a while to get on from o2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Delirio wrote: »
    What I find strange is that with Pay Monthly they do roam in Mauritius, but not on 3Pay. I was not aware you could have roaming differences between contracts....

Most if not all networks will have more roaming agreements for bill pay than pre pay, something to do with the way billing works IIRC

Walkman wrote: »
    Most if not all networks will have more roaming agreements for bill pay than pre pay, something to do with the way billing works IIRC

yeah, they know your bank details and ultimately where to send their leg breakers... <snicker, thinking about the great khali here. (nerdy point).>

anyway, in mauritius there are 2 main mobile phone operators, orange (nothing to do with the uk one, more with the french one, government backed etc) and emtel, a private one that was the first to launch mobile phones in mauritius.

up to a couple of months ago (when i checked again), you were unable to send texts to orange phones or receive from them as 3 had NO agreements with them.

i think now that has moved on (now, orange and emtel have agreements with vodafone, o2 and meteor, i know - though i might be open to correction) so 3 was really a late comer to the text receving/sending deal.

but now they have agreements in place, i see no reason not to jump ship to 3 with their tarriffs (albeit not so good network) but i see it as a network that is in progression and can only get better.

i remember bad networks, i joined meteor in 2001. im still with them. i got a siemens m35 off them at the time when they were doing free phones to university students. and i still have that same number.

boy there were coverage, texting, call issues back then. but now they are good.

i see 3 going down that way as well. and since they are offering good deals, well, why not.

now that i know i just have to pay 60 euros to get international roaming (hoping it doesnt break 3 like home) that gets added as credit anyway, plus the fact i should be getting 50 euros back from them if i port over to the classic flex smartphone, well, no brainer.

as for the "no data, no deal" thing thats been going around boards, well, i use wifi at home (+ its only 2g signal at home for some reason near the red cow) and other places its 3g, i only need voice calls, with some data at times when i need to check things.

2gb tethering while at work sounds V nice.

its only the customer care bit im afraid. i wonder how much abuse these customer care agents receive in india and how they get on with it. id be really down if i was shouted at the whole day.

anybody ever watched "mumbai calling" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You have to remember that some of those people are troublesome customers. You sound like you asked the right questions and got the answers you wanted.
    Some people love complaining and expecting the worst and if they don't find a problem they'll make one. Spend a day in Retail and you'll see the best and worst of people.
    You also have to take into account some people work for 02 and Vodafone and may have never even been with 3 but it's fun to have a bash.

This is the Internet. Everybodys right and everbodys wrong, very hard to prove which
    Is which.

gizabeer wrote: »
    Finally got three to admit there was a problem with the iphone 4 on their network after 3 calls and about 4 hours of getting shunted about to different departments in the shambolic customer care. My advise to anyone thinking of moving to them is STAY WELL AWAY , you get what you pay for. O2 and Vodafone might be more expensive but they provide the service you pay for and the customer care guys actually know what they are talking about.Sorry to see the iphone 4 go back but after this I dont mind waiting a while to get on from o2.

Great !
    Out of curiosity, what problem exactly Three admitted iphone 4 has on their network ?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

Have my iphone4 3 days with 3. So far no problems. 3g at home in Swords (upstairs, downstairs, back garden), in work in Whitehall/Glasnevin (in office, out of office), also while playing golf in Donabate, all around the course last night.

Wifi works a treat. No problem with phone calls or texting.

But I AM worried about the fact the if the 3g icon disappears, I have no web access, which has happened very briefly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

stringy wrote: »
    But I AM worried about the fact the if the 3g icon disappears, I have no web access, which has happened very briefly.

You will definitely go through areas where you have no 3G coverage. Generally you will switch to gprs (small circle where 3G was).

Sometimes you may lose 3G signal in a known 3G area probably because the phone lost signal for a second and it is relocating 3G signal. If by briefly you mean a minute or two I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

is there any way, how to officialy (no jailbreake) unlock iphone 4, bought in Three on €60/month contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Martynet wrote: »
    is there any way, how to officialy (no jailbreake) unlock iphone 4, bought in Three on €60/month contract?

Ring them and they will unlock it for you for €25.
    More info look here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056012621

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Martynet wrote: »

I got mine unlocked from three(Officially). Only did it just in case i decide to sell it and get a new phone sometime soon.

At the moment though i'm lovin the iPhone 4 and have no reason to get rid of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buzzymam

NothingMan wrote: »
    You will definitely go through areas where you have no 3G coverage. Generally you will switch to gprs (small circle where 3G was).

Sometimes you may lose 3G signal in a known 3G area probably because the phone lost signal for a second and it is relocating 3G signal. If by briefly you mean a minute or two I wouldn't worry.

when i lose my 3G and internet I dont get the little circle. I have to search uncer carriers and select 3G again...is that normal?

I also cant get 3G in my home which i can live with as i have wi-fi but this constantly re-searching to select 3G is a right pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

buzzymam wrote: »
    when i lose my 3G and internet I dont get the little circle. I have to search uncer carriers and select 3G again...is that normal?

I also cant get 3G in my home which i can live with as i have wi-fi but this constantly re-searching to select 3G is a right pain.

I have my carrier set to Automatic.

Took the plunge last night and went to sign up for the classic flex max smartphone plan.

Did it in dundrum, pleasant guy and girl. went there at 8pm. unfortunately for some reason it took about 1 hour and 20 minutes to get everything sorted (not their fault, but rather the nuts they were talking to on the phone).

Port went through at 8am this morning (that was really fast, even im surprised) and im getting texts and calls in no problem. (im really new to the whole not the usual number on a different network thing - its witchcraft i tell ya!).

now, have a few questions:

im on carrier 7.0 (funnily enough, thats what the iphones in the 3 store are on as well!)
    but
    Enable 3g On
    Cellular Data Off
    Cellular Data Network i need to add it in, its still on the meteor apn
    Data roaming Greyed out <
    does 7.1 turn this on at all?
    VPN not connected

Should i upgrade to carrier 7.1 or do i lose a lot of things?

also, ive noticed on my3 that my current spend is at €0.25 <--anybody knows what that is for?ive never activated Facetime, so hmmm.

Thanks for the info, any further tips would be gladly appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Took the plunge last night and went to sign up for the classic flex max smartphone plan.

Did it in dundrum, pleasant guy and girl. went there at 8pm. unfortunately for some reason it took about 1 hour and 20 minutes to get everything sorted (not their fault, but rather the nuts they were talking to on the phone).

Port went through at 8am this morning (that was really fast, even im surprised) and im getting texts and calls in no problem. (im really new to the whole not the usual number on a different network thing - its witchcraft i tell ya!).

now, have a few questions:

im on carrier 7.0 (funnily enough, thats what the iphones in the 3 store are on as well!)
    but
    Enable 3g On
    Cellular Data Off
    Cellular Data Network i need to add it in, its still on the meteor apn
    Data roaming Greyed out <
    does 7.1 turn this on at all?
    VPN not connected

Should i upgrade to carrier 7.1 or do i lose a lot of things?

also, ive noticed on my3 that my current spend is at €0.25 <--anybody knows what that is for?ive never activated Facetime, so hmmm.

Thanks for the info, any further tips would be gladly appreciated

Carrier Automatic
    Enable 3g On
    Cellular Data ON
    Cellular Data Network 3ireland.ie
    Data roaming ON ( I leave it off and still have access to edge internet and saves battery life, you can leave it on for a while to make sure Edge is working then can switch off if you want)
    VPN not connected

That should be in setting, My advice is to upgrade to 7.1.

thanks for that. since i dont use mms, i dont think im going to update carrier 7.1 as it locks the thing i think. ill see whether i get gprs with the 7.0.

also, does anybody know if smartphone flex classic 30 day contracts allow access to bitbuzz?my contract says iphone contract on it, but im not too sure. would be cool though.

no massive problems with coverage yet.

oh lastly, did anybody manage to get the voicemail off their flexi unit by using the 5005 or something like that code instead of 171?

Could somebody post the following - The FAQ in Mobiles isnt that up to date with the iphone settings i think. id rather not install the carrier update, just want to see how this works first, i would be very grateful for that

Settings>General>Network> Cellular Data Network>

APN
    Username
    Password

MMS
    APN
    Username
    Password
    MMSC
    MMS Proxy
    MMS Max Message Size
    MMS UA Prof URL

Internet Tethering
    APN
    Username
    Password

thanks for that. since i dont use mms, i dont think im going to update carrier 7.1 as it locks the thing i think. ill see whether i get gprs with the 7.0.

also, does anybody know if smartphone flex classic 30 day contracts allow access to bitbuzz?my contract says iphone contract on it, but im not too sure. would be cool though.

no massive problems with coverage yet.

oh lastly, did anybody manage to get the voicemail off their flexi unit by using the 5005 or something like that code instead of 171?

Yes, you are entitled to use Bitbuzz in Ireland and in the UK. Get the dedicated 3 wifi app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Are three still working on the problems with their network I wonder... ??

• Advertisement

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Are three still working on the problems with their network I wonder... ??

I sincerely hope so: impossible to lock on to the network from Newry to almost Drogheda today. Infuriating. Yet no such problems with a 3UK SIM or a 3 Italia SIM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement