Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

culabula wrote: »
    Well, a fair point. I don't.

But a) it carries the 3 logo b) I tried it and it worked and c) someone here mentioned a 3 operator recommended it 'tother day. So, checking my bill before and afterwards reveals no dodginess therefore I am quite happy to continue.

Using Skypeout from your mobile would seem to be cheaper too - for example, gocall.ie is 3c per minute to Malaysian landlines, 2c via Skypeout (ignoring the data charge, but since everyone is on 2GB per month, I imagine this doesn't apply).

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

oceanclub wrote: »
    Using Skypeout from your mobile would seem to be cheaper too - for example, gocall.ie is 3c per minute to Malaysian landlines, 2c via Skypeout (ignoring the data charge, but since everyone is on 2GB per month, I imagine this doesn't apply).

P.

LOL, but i am on 350 flexi units so have to watch my minutes :)

@oceanclub: Call to Malaysia is 1.3 Cent from localphone.com if you have free landline as add-on. that will be cheaper for you.

Fair enough - but 650 units a month, 2GB data, wifi, Skype and so on -am pretty covered. There's only so much talking a girl can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

deep1 wrote: »
    LOL, but i am on 350 flexi units so have to watch my minutes :)

But if you use the Skype app from your phone, you wouldn't be using any of those minutes... someone correct me if I'm wrong!
    Call to Malaysia is 1.3 Cent from localphone.com if you have free landline as add-on. that will be cheaper for you.

Nope, don't have the "free calls to landline" addon, I have the extra data one, so should have a 4G a month allowance.

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Applied/not applied?

good question!

They applied the fix and it didn't work - thats what I meant to say.

3 have since called back and said its with Vodafone. Its their issue but 3 are working with them to resolve.

Yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

oceanclub wrote: »
    I realise this sounds paranoid (but hey it helps to be), but there's no mention of gocall.ie on the Three web site. How do you know it's not a scam?

P.

How about this:

http://three.ie/gocall/

I'm sure I saw it on a bill or in their flyer/catalog thingy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Just noticed this thread for the first time in a while. I have to say I have noticed no problems with the 3G on my 3 Iphone now in a few weeks. Am I lucky or has the issue been sorted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

I have an iPhone 4 and am considering changing to 3. the Best of both Sim only plan looks great - €15 a month to get free 3-3 calls, free any network texts, 60 "flexi-units"(60 minutes ) and if I pay €4.99 extra 500mb of Data.

That's great compared to Meteor where at the moment I am paying €20 a month for free meteor-meteor texts and 250mb of Data.

After reading alot on this thread, I am having second thoughts about changing due to connection errors etc. Are these Issues ongoing, or have they been improved or what?

Is it true that 3 has no EDGE network, just 3G? So where there is no 3G coverage, I will have no data at all - or just VERY slow GPRS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

The issue is whether you get GPRS at all. If you do, I find it useable (speed wise)

Three's 3g network, from my use, is far more extensive then o2's. Three do have the biggest 3g network though....

So far as making calls - perfect for me
    Porting my number - there was a delay for a day but I got mine on launch day so I'm sure there were lots of people porting
    Internet - Couple of areas (probably specific towers) where 3g would only upload, no download speed at all. GPRS as I mentioned is an issue which they are apparently working on with vodafone

Overall, given the value for money, I'm still happy with the service. Just looking forward to internet everywhere.

Others have their own stories though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I had similar issues early in August as reported here, and was on the verge of sending the phone back under the Apple return scheme. However over the last 2 weeks things have improved dramatically for me - pretty much no issues at all. I do still switch to the slower GPRS from time to time (and get the circle), but it seems much less frequent now.

That coupled with the fact I can use my minutes and data in the UK (where I am often - and yes I've confirmed no data charges on my last bill for UK data) and the contract price have convinced me to stay.

Hope I haven't jinxed myself now by saying how good things are at present....

Thanks for your feedback. The best of both plan is only a 30 day contract anyway so I think I will use it for the 30 days and see what it's like.

Anyone have any idea what its like in Wexford, by any chance?

Are the issues where you would have to turn airplane mode on and off still ongoing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback. The best of both plan is only a 30 day contract anyway so I think I will use it for the 30 days and see what it's like.

Anyone have any idea what its like in Wexford, by any chance?

Are the issues where you would have to turn airplane mode on and off still ongoing?

I don't know if they have done something, but it certainly seems much better for me anyway.

Better in what way? That you have more 3G coverage more of the time or what?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Better in what way? That you have more 3G coverage more of the time or what?

Not dropping the 3G and needing to toggle Airplane mode to get it back on

whiterebel wrote: »
    And what about GPRS? Do you get data when connected to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

When did Carrier settings get bumped to 8.0?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

rivalius13 wrote: »
    When did Carrier settings get bumped to 8.0?

Are they?

Are they?

Mine are down as 3 Ireland 8.0. I'm guessing that's because I'm running 4.1, although that's odd since I thought carrier settings were separate to iOS versions...

rivalius13 wrote: »
    Mine are down as 3 Ireland 8.0. I'm guessing that's because I'm running 4.1, although that's odd since I thought carrier settings were separate to iOS versions...

I just updated mine on my new iPhone (I had resisted) but they are still 7.1.

+1
    3 service has much improved since launch, i never regretted moving to three and now loving it.
    Good 3g signal and if in some places not 3g then switch back and forth to edge Instantly.

So far 4 friends has moved to three and all loving it and saving few quids, there plans are hard to beat..

Time to change thread title maybe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

deep1 wrote: »

Time to change thread title maybe :D

Yes please!

• Advertisement

I just updated mine on my new iPhone (I had resisted) but they are still 7.1.

See, now that's odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

naasrd wrote: »
    Yes please!

Yes mods.....time for a title change?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

Walkman wrote: »
    Yes mods.....time for a title change?

+1 I agree

Drop the "Warning"?

Drop the "Warning"?

You said it...

And what about GPRS? Do you get data when connected to that?

No, thats one I have to manually switch to. I think thats what 3 and VF are spposed to be fixing. Data does work when it is connected to GPRS though.

No, thats one I have to manually switch to. I think thats what 3 and VF are spposed to be fixing. Data does work when it is connected to GPRS though.

That's very strange, Mine is working from the very first day they applied fix and my friend's started working after 2 days.
    I don't know how Three is applying the changes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Right had iPhone 4 with 3 for the last month.Overall very happy with price and coverage except for a few things.
    First i dont get 2g coverage at all thats not a big deal as i do alot of driving and it will usually pick up 3 g after a few miles.
    My main problem is roaming in NI.
    When i cross the border near a big town city no real problem set carrier to 3 uk manualy.When the signal drops outside of a town still on main route if i do a carrier search 3 uk is not there .From looking at there coverage maps it seems to me that i can not see there 2g network.

In ennniskillen town center i could not see 3 uk at all .All other networks where available at full strength.On the coverage map Enniskillen seems not to have 3g coverage.
    I am running OS4.02 carrier 7.1 i have rebooted phone .
    Is the 2g network in NI a 3 network or is it like the south ie vodafone ?

I rang 3 a couple of times first gent said if i wasnt seeing 3 in a carrier search it means they have no coverage and basically tough .
    Secound guy said they were aware of 2 g issue in Ireland and they are due to fix it over the weekend.If i still have a problem Monday ring back.The whole NI thing seemed to go over his head.

Is there a fix for this?

andyeire wrote: »
    Right had iPhone 4 with 3 for the last month.Overall very happy with price and coverage except for a few things.
    First i dont get 2g coverage at all thats not a big deal as i do alot of driving and it will usually pick up 3 g after a few miles.
    My main problem is roaming in NI.
    When i cross the border near a big town city no real problem set carrier to 3 uk manualy.When the signal drops outside of a town still on main route if i do a carrier search 3 uk is not there .From looking at there coverage maps it seems to me that i can not see there 2g network.

In ennniskillen town center i could not see 3 uk at all .All other networks where available at full strength.On the coverage map Enniskillen seems not to have 3g coverage.
    I am running OS4.02 carrier 7.1 i have rebooted phone .
    Is the 2g network in NI a 3 network or is it like the south ie vodafone ?

I rang 3 a couple of times first gent said if i wasnt seeing 3 in a carrier search it means they have no coverage and basically tough .
    Secound guy said they were aware of 2 g issue in Ireland and they are due to fix it over the weekend.If i still have a problem Monday ring back.The whole NI thing seemed to go over his head.

Is there a fix for this?

Coverage on 3UK is non-existent in many parts of the the six counties. I remember driving from Belfast to Leitrim last year and being without signal until arriving in Kinlough. Enniskillen, like Strangford and Portaferry, is pretty much a 3 no-go area.

3UK either do or did have an arrangement with Orange UK for voice national roaming but that is only for UK subs. It does not apply to 3 Ireland customers nor can you benefit from it, much as 3Uk customers cannot use Vodafone Ireland to their advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Could you not roam onto T-Mobile or Orange or whoever else 3Ireland have their roaming agreement with in the UK (although you will pay EU roaming rates when not on 3UK). If you are on bill make sure you have at least EU roaming active otherwise you can only roam on 3 networks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement