Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

Does FaceTime work on 3 Ireland? I got a sim today - got the popup about costs but is stuck on waiting for activation at the mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    Does FaceTime work on 3 Ireland? I got a sim today - got the popup about costs but is stuck on waiting for activation at the mo

Yes, it does work, but costs you the price of a foreign SMS each time you use it or *each time that you see that popup*.

culabula wrote: »
    Yes, it does work, but costs you the price of a foreign SMS each time you use it or *each time that you see that popup*.
    Ah crap. Are you sure? I thought that SMS was meant to be free from official iPhone carriers - I must have pressed ok to that 5-10 times. How do you check credit on 3pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

This is what baffles me about the new iPod touch; will they waiver the SMS charge?

naasrd wrote: »
    This is what baffles me about the new iPod touch; will they waiver the SMS charge?

Hopefully, 4.1 will put an end to this nonsense and change activation to email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

naasrd wrote: »

iOS 4.1 now allows email for syncing up for facetime. I've still yet to test out facetime because of the text cost and only knowing one other person with an iPhone 4...

Ah crap. Are you sure? I thought that SMS was meant to be free from official iPhone carriers - I must have pressed ok to that 5-10 times. How do you check credit on 3pay?

Yes. For example, I got a new iPhone 4 in Belfast last Weds. Popped in the SIM and up popped the popup. It's on my new bill at exactly 1530 - the moment inserted the SIM.

What's even more galling* is that you are charged 20c at home for the foreign SMS but only 10c while roaming.

* incredibly witty pun intended.

Yes. For example, I got a new iPhone 4 in Belfast last Weds. Popped in the SIM and up popped the popup. It's on my new bill at exactly 1530 - the moment inserted the SIM.

What's even more galling* is that you are charged 20c at home for the foreign SMS but only 10c while roaming.

* incredibly witty pun intended.
    How long did it take to activate for you?

How long did it take to activate for you?

Seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Planet 3, My3, Check my balance

• Advertisement

Seconds.
    I may try again after a restore. Thanks!

Found it in the end, thanks. It's ridiculous that they don't have a *# number to check it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Drop the "Warning"?

I'm pleased to see this. Yes, I'm biased cos I signed up for 18 months with three, but as I posted somewhere earlier, the "Warning" (and in caps!) looked somewhat melodramatic.

Ok yes, it's not 100%, but what networks are? And ok, on rare occasions, I have to flick between the '3g' and 'Automatic' in carrier settings to get 3g back up. It works every time (the 'Airplane on/off is unpredictable). Yes, it shouldn't have to be done, but as I say, it works. With VF when 3g wasn't available that was it. It was GPRS or nothing.
    Three are cheap and there's obviously going to be some downsides. The 'My 3' pages are somewhat vague. I've already asked could we see the 'current spend' itemised. It's not enough to see this figure going up and down without knowing in some way what it all means. Even if they could break it down into MMS/Voicemail/Foreign calls/Texts etc it would be handy.

To give an example, I paid to have my phone unlocked on 16th Aug and paid by Laser card. This seemed fine, they gave me a reference etc and I saw the amount spent on my online banking balance. But the €25 that it cost also appeared on my 'Current spend'. I suspected this and spent two or three days and 5 or 6 long calls to customer care asking why my current spend had jumped from from 2 or 3 euro (a few voicemail/foreign sms/MMS) to €28. Needless to say, no one could tell me that €25 of this was for the unlock, or even what the remainder was spent on for that matter. They were just avoiding the issue and telling me 'well you made a few voicemail calls' and 'you sent some MMS. I kept on saying 'what! I made €25 worth of voicemail calls in 3 days!!'
    I'm not sure what arse about face way they have of calculating this current spend page cos now, my latest bill has the €25 as some kind of credit amount.

We all know there are some great features and value for money in different ways from all the networks. It's just a shame that one network cannot incorporate all the good stuff!

Found it in the end, thanks. It's ridiculous that they don't have a *# number to check it

Not really, just cause it's different to other networks doesn't make it ridiculous, also it gives you every balance at once: bought credit, free credit, add ons, data.....also you can call 1744 and it'll give you your bought credit balance. You can also check via My3 on their website........how many ways do you want. Different yes ridiculous no

@ simon201 3 cannot give a detailed breakdown until the bill is generated. The current spend was added to your account, the unlock code issued then when the transaction was cleared by your bank it was credited back to your account. Also you'll see your current spend may stay on My3 when your units are refreshed, this will only disappear when your bill is cleared by your bank and the bill is paid. Once your units are refreshed go to My3, my account, recent bills and you'll see a summary of your bill. For a full itimised bill you can log into My3 on the website and view your bill in PDF format

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

How do you go about changing your add-on? I went for 150 texts without thinking about eirtext.

Oh, also, can someone explain the deal with the Euro rates thing? When I ordered the phone I thought that he meant European roaming rates OR the add-on, so I was all conflustered. It hasn't mattered until now, but I'm off to Spain next week so figure it'd be a good idea to get it sorted.

Every time I check my balance it's lower than before, and I haven't done anything to use credit! I checked my balance before I went to sleep last night and it was 48c, woke up and it's 32c!! I bought the data add on so its not that, Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Walkman wrote: »
    Not really, just cause it's different to other networks doesn't make it ridiculous, also it gives you every balance at once: bought credit, free credit, add ons, data.....also you can call 1744 and it'll give you your bought credit balance. You can also check via My3 on their website........how many ways do you want. Different yes ridiculous no
    When you dial 1744 you have to listen to all their advertising first! A *# number would the most convenient and quickest way to check balance no matter what. If I want to check all my add on balance and data usage I will check it on my3. 99% of the time I just want to see how much credit I have left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

andyeire wrote: »
    Right had iPhone 4 with 3 for the last month.Overall very happy with price and coverage except for a few things.
    First i dont get 2g coverage at all thats not a big deal as i do alot of driving and it will usually pick up 3 g after a few miles.
    My main problem is roaming in NI.
    When i cross the border near a big town city no real problem set carrier to 3 uk manualy.When the signal drops outside of a town still on main route if i do a carrier search 3 uk is not there .From looking at there coverage maps it seems to me that i can not see there 2g network.

In ennniskillen town center i could not see 3 uk at all .All other networks where available at full strength.On the coverage map Enniskillen seems not to have 3g coverage.
    I am running OS4.02 carrier 7.1 i have rebooted phone .
    Is the 2g network in NI a 3 network or is it like the south ie vodafone ?

I rang 3 a couple of times first gent said if i wasnt seeing 3 in a carrier search it means they have no coverage and basically tough .
    Secound guy said they were aware of 2 g issue in Ireland and they are due to fix it over the weekend.If i still have a problem Monday ring back.The whole NI thing seemed to go over his head.

Is there a fix for this?

Thats frustrating - I was told the fix was applied on the 1st sept and it didnt work. They had no ETA for a new fix.

Are they telling everyone it will be resolved in a couple of days?

Can a mod get back in touch with the 3 rep who was on boards?

This is a joke. I can't recommend 3 to any of my mates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

I went to a Three store today and if I go from the info given wouldn't change over.

I was only inquiring about Roaming and Unlocking

For Roaming he said that if you roam and use data you will charge roaming charges (from the website looks like you can roam in some countries with your data allowance once you connect to the 3 network)

For unlocking he said that is not them but apple who you request the unlock to, they only unlock it after the 18 months are over but you can appeal to apple if you request it earlier and don't give it to you

Best of all he said even if they unlock it if I put any other sim card like for Meteor it will lock it again to Meteor and will need to request another unlock after that, he said only happens with the Iphone 4

After reading some of the pages here not sure if to witch to 3 from O2, prices are better on plans and phone.

Are those data connection problems also in Dublin?

• Advertisement

nava wrote: »

Best of all he said even if they unlock it if I put any other sim card like for Meteor it will lock it again to Meteor and will need to request another unlock after that, he said only happens with the Iphone 4

?

My stomach is aching with the laughter. They're such wags, those 3 boys.

Is tethering on iphone 4 free with three?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Is tethering on iphone 4 free with three?

Yes, tethering with three is indeed free and is deducted from your 2GB allowance.

When you dial 1744 you have to listen to all their advertising first! A *# number would the most convenient and quickest way to check balance no matter what. If I want to check all my add on balance and data usage I will check it on my3. 99% of the time I just want to see how much credit I have left
    Add the my3 page to your screen then you don't have to go through planet 3, that's my best suggestion :), hope it's better for ya :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Walkman wrote: »
    Add the my3 page to your screen then you don't have to go through planet 3, that's my best suggestion :), hope it's better fir ya :)

Yeah, i found it perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭MrTrebus

That only works if you have 3G coverage though, it won't work on a wi-fi connection !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Just to update my last post the 2g connection has started to work on my phone. Must be a fix they apply on an individual basis. The roaming thing in the north is something I don't think is fixable.

andyeire wrote: »
    Just to update my last post the 2g connection has started to work on my phone. Must be a fix they apply on an individual basis. The roaming thing in the north is something I don't think is fixable.

The roaming in the north does not concern them nor their technicians and is not something they can do anything about, save pass on complaints to 3UK (as if they'd bother). It's a simple absence of network problem and not anything you can rectify easily.

rivalius13 wrote: »
    iOS 4.1 now allows email for syncing up for facetime. I've still yet to test out facetime because of the text cost and only knowing one other person with an iPhone 4...

Can't see the email sync.

• Advertisement

rivalius13 wrote: »
    See, now that's odd.

Updated to 4.1 -and now my settings have changed to 8.0 as well, yet was not offered any carrier updates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement