Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

culabula wrote: »
    Updated to 4.1 -and now my settings have changed to 8.0 as well, yet was not offered any carrier updates.

Have you always been able to browse on edge?

And if not has this resolved it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Have you always been able to browse on edge?

And if not has this resolved it?

Am in Belfast right now and 3G performance has always been rock-solid.

However I noticed on Thurs/Fri was getting the GPRS symbol for the first time in Dalkey and Killiney, where hitherto it had been pretty abominable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

Can't see the email sync.

Facetime appeared for me in a contact that only contains the email address, but with a contact who has phone and email it doesn't give me the option...

Also, Is 4.1 released or is it the developer beta? I'm still on 4.0.1...

Also, Is 4.1 released or is it the developer beta? I'm still on 4.0.1...

It's the Gold Master.

• Advertisement

rivalius13 wrote: »
    Facetime appeared for me in a contact that only contains the email address, but with a contact who has phone and email it doesn't give me the option...

Really? That's pretty odd.

I made several Facetime calls today before I updated using my giffgaff SIM, which in the past had charged me 8p. Today, I was not charged for any of the 4 calls.

After updating and returning my 3IRL SIM to the phone, it's still advising me re SMS charges for activation, though have devined that if you just press cancel, you don't get charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Watching a utube video over wifi quality is very good. When I watch the same video using 3 g the quality is noticeably worse. How is this possible. It is definitely the same video.

Also wifi on my iPhone 4 seems a lot slower than the 3GS.
    Is it me or what?

andyeire wrote: »
    Watching a utube video over wifi quality is very good. When I watch the same video using 3 g the quality is noticeably worse. How is this possible. It is definitely the same video.

Also wifi on my iPhone 4 seems a lot slower than the 3GS.
    Is it me or what?

Chances are youtube checks your connection speed prior to buffering the video and then chooses either high quality or non high quality based on the speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Chances are youtube checks your connection speed prior to buffering the video and then chooses either high quality or non high quality based on the speed.

That's exactly what it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

Really? That's pretty odd.

I made several Facetime calls today before I updated using my giffgaff SIM, which in the past had charged me 8p. Today, I was not charged for any of the 4 calls.

After updating and returning my 3IRL SIM to the phone, it's still advising me re SMS charges for activation, though have devined that if you just press cancel, you don't get charged.
    I rang 3 customer care and asked if I would be charged for making a FaceTime call, she told me I will not be charged and she refunded the credit that it cost me to activate FaceTime. I knew the text it sends is supposed to be free :)

• Advertisement

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    I rang 3 customer care and asked if I would be charged for making a FaceTime call, she told me I will not be charged and she refunded the credit that it cost me to activate FaceTime. I knew the text it sends is supposed to be free :)

Oh, they'll be hearing from me, there's about 2€ worth.

Nope, I have it working now. Using my giffgaff SIM, under 4.1, when you hit the FaceTime options, it allows you to choose any phone number or email address you have listed for the contact. Seems great. Unfortunately, I have just tried 6 contacts and not one of them has "been available for FaceTime" though I know them to be at home and on wifi. All of them were available this morning by using their number.

Then again, it's probably because none of them are yet running 4.1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

Oh, they'll be hearing from me, there's about 2€ worth.
    There's nothing worse than inconsistent information from customer care, she told me that I will not be charged for FaceTime calls but I'd be willing to put money on it that if I made a FaceTime call I will be charged. (Haven't gotten a chance as the only other person i know with an i4 is on meteor and cannot activate FT yet).

Nope, I have it working now. Using my giffgaff SIM, under 4.1, when you hit the FaceTime options, it allows you to choose any phone number or email address you have listed for the contact. Seems great. Unfortunately, I have just tried 6 contacts and not one of them has "been available for FaceTime" though I know them to be at home and on wifi. All of them were available this morning by using their number.

Then again, it's probably because none of them are yet running 4.1.

Wait...facetime menu? Where be that, matie?

Wait...facetime menu? Where be that, matie?

When you activate FaceTime, a button appears in the contacts menu. Until now, when you clicked on it up popped the the contact's GSM numbers. Now on 4.1 when you hit it, a mixture of numbers and email addresses appears (if and when you have several for the same contact).

When you activate FaceTime, a button appears in the contacts menu. Until now, when you clicked on it up popped the the contact's GSM numbers. Now on 4.1 when you hit it, a mixture of numbers and email addresses appears (if and when you have several for the same contact).

Ahh, cheers, I thought I had an email down for one of my contacts, but for some reason the email was a part of a separate contact.

How do you check who's available for facetime?

Ahh, cheers, I thought I had an email down for one of my contacts, but for some reason the email was a part of a separate contact.

How do you check who's available for facetime?

You can't as far as I can see -everyone is a potential FaceTime contact (maybe making it future-proof for iChat and the like).

However, once you make a successful call, the FaceTime button adjusts itself and adds a little camera icon beside the words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Johnzy Fitzgerald

deep1 wrote: »
    Was just told by 3 Customer service that free Add-on went live yesterday, did anyone notice that?

I'd like to know if this is true also.
    I got caught last month for about €15 extra because I never realised that the add-ons weren't starting until "mid-September".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I got caught last month for about €15 extra because I never realised that the add-ons weren't starting until "mid-September".

It depends on your bill date. I don't expect mine to kick in until 18th September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Three are changing their story every single day.
    Was told in shop it came live on 1st, then i made few landline calls and it came out of my flexi units instead of free so rang them and was told it is not coming live until 4th of sept, still no sign.
    So rang them again last night and now it's not until 15th of sept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Anyone have signal problems after jailbreaking ?

I tend to get 'No Service' every now and then but maybe it's just the location I'm in not sure. I've researched a few problems people have with this and tried them which has helped but just wondering what ye all think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

keith123 wrote: »
    Anyone have signal problems after jailbreaking ?

I tend to get 'No Service' every now and then but maybe it's just the location I'm in not sure. I've researched a few problems people have with this and tried them which has helped but just wondering what ye all think.

That sound like a location problem. Head out for a stroll and you should see a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

naasrd wrote: »
    That sound like a location problem. Head out for a stroll and you should see a difference.

I've had it jailboken for the last few days - mostly its fine and I am comparing it to my missus iphone who doesn't have it jailbroken but the odd time it does kick in with that message - I do have a feeling thou its to do with the options I select in SBSettings - need to find out what there all for. For example, when I hit the Data button that knocks off the 3G signal but not sure what the 3G button is for then!? Weird

Oh yeah on a side note does anyone know how to fully close down an application as I've had 10 apps running all the time! I did it through SBSettings but how do you do it on a normal iPhone setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

keith123 wrote: »
    Oh yeah on a side note does anyone know how to fully close down an application as I've had 10 apps running all the time! I did it through SBSettings but how do you do it on a normal iPhone setup?
    Double-click the home button to bring up a list of all the currently open apps. Hold down one of the icons, and they'll start doing the shaky thing, then you can close them.

I wasn't getting any 2G data from 3 for the last couple of weeks, it was 3G data or nothing. Didn't bother me much. Then on Saturday, GPRS magically kicked in. Working perfectly now, all the pieces are in place :)

I'm on a 3GS and having no issues with Switching from edge back to 3G, But on edge I can't connect to the internet. I've read that people have rung 3 and they've got the issue resolved is this definetly the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

seamus wrote: »
    Double-click the home button to bring up a list of all the currently open apps. Hold down one of the icons, and they'll start doing the shaky thing, then you can close them.

I wasn't getting any 2G data from 3 for the last couple of weeks, it was 3G data or nothing. Didn't bother me much. Then on Saturday, GPRS magically kicked in. Working perfectly now, all the pieces are in place :)

Did you update past 4.0.1? I'm trying to decide if I should, and lose my jailbreak.
    Is their signal and data issues something that can be fixed on their end or would it depend on an update??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm on 4.0.2 and have been since I first switched to 3. I haven't called 3 or otherwise done anything to activate GPRS, it just suddenly became active on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Did you update past 4.0.1? I'm trying to decide if I should, and lose my jailbreak.
    Is their signal and data issues something that can be fixed on their end or would it depend on an update??

I am on 4.0.1 and no prob switching between 2g and 3g, It used to take about 5 minutes, Now it happens almost instantly.
    All you need is up to date carrier setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Davexirl

So everyone is pretty happy with 3 now????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Yes also would like to know that, if there's no connection problems I will probably move to 3.

Still not happy about waiting 18 months for the phone to be unlock when O2 does it straight away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement