Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

hi
    i recently bought the iphone 4 and am having serious issues with the signal dropping to one bar when holding the phone,pretty much no internet most of the time and dropped calls,calls taking ages to go through or failing altogether.

i rang cs and they told me to update via itunes and it would sort this out.
    i did and it didnt basically.
    i live in galway city and if its this bad in the city im dreading how bad it will get.
    this is a business phone so i cant afford any messing around.
    should i return it and go back to o2?
    any advice would be helpful

That's basically the same experience I had with three , never ported my number from o2 so I just sent the phone back to them . Stay with o2 , you get what you pay for .
    Even if they sorted out the problems I'd never use them again because the customer care robots will have you pulling your hair out, I friend of mine went in l
    To a three shop last Thursday and was gonna get an iPhone 4 and the sales guy said there was still a lot of problems with them on three's network and advised him to get a 3GS instead.It seems tho that most people are happy with a substandard service from three just because they are so cheap compared to o2/vodafone , just wait a month and get one with o2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I am happy with 3 and do not a accept substandard service from anyone. My phone is now on 3G all the time unless I leave coverage. No delay in moving from 2G to 3G. I have 3G and 2G data. Never had a dropped call. No delay in texts getting sent or receiving. Cheaper package. Cheaper roaming. Cheaper international calls via lowcall.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Walkman wrote: »
    I am happy with 3 and do not a accept substandard service from anyone. My phone is now on 3G all the time unless I leave coverage. No delay in moving from 2G to 3G. I have 3G and 2G data. Never had a dropped call. No delay in texts getting sent or receiving. Cheaper package. Cheaper roaming. Cheaper international calls via lowcall.ie.

Same here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

naasrd wrote: »
    Same here.

And here. Rare enough for the dropped 3G now too. Certainly not enough to entertain the thought of going to those rip-off barstewards in O2 or VF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buzzymam

gizabeer wrote: »
    That's basically the same experience I had with three , never ported my number from o2 so I just sent the phone back to them . Stay with o2 , you get what you pay for .
    Even if they sorted out the problems I'd never use them again because the customer care robots will have you pulling your hair out, I friend of mine went in l
    To a three shop last Thursday and was gonna get an iPhone 4 and the sales guy said there was still a lot of problems with them on three's network and advised him to get a 3GS instead.It seems tho that most people are happy with a substandard service from three just because they are so cheap compared to o2/vodafone , just wait a month and get one with o2

Why stay with a network with coverage issues in your area, ineffective tech support advice and charging more than other networks.

I am with 3 and after some initial queries to CS, I nowq have not complaints, good coverage.

Arrogant to presume people on 3 accept "substandard service" I certainly dont for my money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

Is internet tethering chargeable separately or is it deducted from the add-on allowance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    Is internet tethering chargeable separately or is it deducted from the add-on allowance?

There should really be an FAQ in this board regarding three, if there isn't already.

Tethering is included in the 2GB allowance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Kevin! wrote: »
    There should really be an FAQ in this board regarding three, if there isn't already.

Tethering is included in the 2GB allowance.

Good idea. Same questions being asked every 2nd day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

One of ye right it

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

buzzymam wrote: »
    Why stay with a network with coverage issues in your area, ineffective tech support advice and charging more than other networks.

I am with 3 and after some initial queries to CS, I nowq have not complaints, good coverage.

Arrogant to presume people on 3 accept "substandard service" I certainly dont for my money.

Thats why i didnt stay :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 pablo scholes

I cant believe 3 dont have social media looking after this thread,all the other big companies do. I'm a 3 customer and have trouble with them to the point i fixed my own problem and they told me a week later they had solved the problem, in fact i had!

A big company like that should be looking after their customers better, I found this great blog post that agrees with me totally

http://www.digitalwaves.ie/index.php/socialmedia/warning-three-ie-badly-need-social-media

Sort it out 3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tosull97

maybe the wrong thread but if you go for the sim 30 day plan can you get calls to england included in your minutes. Also any problems in porting a number to them and how long does it take. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Does anyone know when the 4.1 update happens? I'm not in a huge rush, but currently when you try to buy iMovie, you're told it's a requirement,

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

tosull97 wrote: »
    maybe the wrong thread but if you go for the sim 30 day plan can you get calls to england included in your minutes. Also any problems in porting a number to them and how long does it take. Thanks.

All 3 plans include calls to UK (not England) landlines and mobiles, not just the rolling contract ones.

oceanclub wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the 4.1 update happens? I'm not in a huge rush, but currently when you try to buy iMovie, you're told it's a requirement,

Regards,

P.

You have to make it happen! It's been out since last Wednesday -you sync your iPhone with iTunes and it advises you of the update which you can then refuse or accept.

Is anyone having problems with 3 today? I have no coverage at all with my 3 IRL SIM here in Belfast and am trying to establish if it's a 3UK fault or 3 IRL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

culabula wrote: »
    Is anyone having problems with 3 today? I have no coverage at all with my 3 IRL SIM here in Belfast and am trying to establish if it's a 3UK fault or 3 IRL.

Fine here in Dublin 8. Listening to RTE on 3G, no glitches.

Seems to be a 3UK issue as all my SIMs are currently denied access. I have 3 x 3 IRL SIM and one 3 ITA and none can roam on 3UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

well my problem carries on unsolved,after a 40 minute conversation to india where their cs basically just typed while i listened asking me to turn things on and off i have been told someone else will cotact me in 24-48 hours!!
    my phone is not working right,calls keep failing,i have no internet access.
    should i just return the phone to the shop now and bedamned with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

culabula wrote: »

I left 3 because of the problem you are reporting. I found them a disater when I went abroad (Belfast included:D). Permanently dropping signal. My wife uses Vodafone and never had a problem. We could put our phones side-by-side in (in Belfast) and see the full 5 bars on her phone and mine busily not finding any networks. It drove me mad!

• Advertisement

I left 3 because of the problem you are reporting. I found them a disater when I went abroad (Belfast included:D). Permanently dropping signal. My wife uses Vodafone and never had a problem. We could put our phones side-by-side in (in Belfast) and see the full 5 bars on her phone and mine busily not finding any networks. It drove me mad!

Well, no, that's unfair. I haven't experienced anything like this for a long time - -and I have been using 3 IRL in the north for 4 years. When it works it's grand. Service has now been restored but since my 3ITA SIM was also denied access it becomes clear that the fault was with 3UK -either a local cell and just my bad luck or with their whole network.

If you compared 3 with O2 UK or Vodafone in and around Strangford you'd get nothing on 3 and 5 bars on the others. No 3 round there. Likewise, there is no O2 UK in my kitchen but 5 bars on 3 in there. But this is not today's issue, which was an inability of non-UK 3 SIMs to access the 3UK network.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

First off apologies if this is posted, looked through the tread but not every page!

I just switched to 3 and got the iphone 4, the 3G is constantly dropping and when I go into settings->General->Network there is no Enable 3G or Cellular Data Network Tab options (new to iphone 4?). I know I am not in a 3G black hole as I am looking at a 3GS on o2 that has 3G no problem. Anybody know if this is a 3 or iphone 4 problem or just a messed up restore that I am missing some settings? Just want to be sure as if I am dropping all the time like this I will be handing the phone back in and canceling with 3 at the weekend if the 3G signal is constantly dropping off.... Thanks in advance for any answers.

--EDIT--
    See that the carrier settings takes away the ability to manually change the APN, answers that part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

well my problem carries on unsolved,after a 40 minute conversation to india where their cs basically just typed while i listened asking me to turn things on and off i have been told someone else will cotact me in 24-48 hours!!
    my phone is not working right,calls keep failing,i have no internet access.
    should i just return the phone to the shop now and bedamned with them?

You should take it back and get it changed for a new one it sounds faulty. To be honest though i'd be taking it back and changing it for a Galaxy S I did and i've no regrets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Just to chime in, I ported from Vodafone to Three on Sunday and I'm constantly having to reset network settings to get internet access. On to tech support twice and currently on hold with them again while they try to fix it.

If it doesnt get sorted today I'm just going to cancel and port back. Complete disaster.

I am the same, I will give them every chance to fix it, but I see myself canceling and having to got vodafone or back to 02 if they will dish out an iphone4... shame, great package on 3 but this is to critical an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I've just been told its the phones fault. They are offering a replacement so I'll take that first and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

Anyone know if the add-ons on best of both automatically renew every month or do I have to buy it again every month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭decies

Ronan wrote: »
    I am the same, I will give them every chance to fix it, but I see myself canceling and having to got vodafone or back to 02 if they will dish out an iphone4... shame, great package on 3 but this is to critical an issue.

Is it worth chucking it in for that,do you not use wifi mostly at home anyway?
    Am on three yes you can go in and out of 3 coverage ,but the phone is at its best through wifi,the 3 package is so much better than the others.

At home I am on wifi all the time, but in the office and out and about it has a high potential to wreck my head, I have been mulling over if I will live with it, but I don't think any users should have to accept having to 'reset' your carrier because the phone keeps dropping 3G coverage and won't revert back automatically, no matter how good their package is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

decies wrote: »
    Is it worth chucking it in for that,do you not use wifi mostly at home anyway?
    Am on three yes you can go in and out of 3 coverage ,but the phone is at its best through wifi,the 3 package is so much better than the others.

Would you buy and then keep a car that you found to have no left indicators, just because you mostly turn right anyway??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement