Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Anyone care to answer my question, I am wanting to know what the 3G coverage on 3 is like?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

corklad32 wrote: »
    Yes but can you actually use their bb service? I couldn't in cork city so I went to o2. It's an extra €20 per month for the same stuff but the service works perfectly for me so the 20 extra a month is worth the hassle free service.

Exactly. you get what you pay for.
    spinaltap wrote: »
    Hi Guys , thanks god I found this forum.
    I have just bought the i phone 4 from three on an 18 month contract and living in Firhouse Dublin.
    I can get on 3gs but the signal is so poor that it then knocks off back to 3 g and I have to go into aerplane mode to turn back on.
    I really dont have an problem as I use wifi mostly at home.
    In the city centre today and it dropped 4/5 times back to 2g.
    I rang CC tonight who tell me i have to bring it to phone menders in sandyford to have it tested, if it comes back that is is normal , what do I do.

Do I suffer from haveing no 3gs and where would I stand if I was to go back in2 the store ask for a refund and go over to 02 ipone 3gs and If I did is the 3gs network any better.
    I also borrowed a new apple cover to avoid the "grip of death".
    We should not have to tolerate these problems with the advent of new technology.
    Anyone have any advise, by the way I love the iphone4, im officially a iphone abuser, thanks guys

Send it back its not worth the hassle.

Compudaro wrote: »
    Just about to take the plunge for the iPhone 4 with Three. Is the signal/reception problem only an issue on some of iPhones and either way, buying it from Three, will I be eligible to apply for a free "bumper" case under Apple's Bumber scheme, using the downloadable app?

Why would you get an iphone 4 from 3 after reading this thread ?
    They're a joke of a mobile service provider

sophie1234 wrote: »
    right so ive decided to finally bite the bullet and move to bill pay and get my an iphone 4 on 3 ive been with meteor for about 6 years and after reviewing how much i spend on credit a month i think it worth it! but want to ask your guys opinion on three ill begin by signing up to the smallest price plan 40euro a month see if im going over it and them move up to 60 if i am! atm im spending between 50 and 70 euro credit a month( i dont really no how) what add ons would you recomend! is 350 felxi units really that much?
    thanks in advancE! :D

DONT DO IT !!!!! :(
    padocon wrote: »
    Anyone care to answer my question, I am wanting to know what the 3G coverage on 3 is like?

Thanks

Almost usable at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭borygo77

Gizabeer stop talkin trash!

Coverage depends from where you using your 3 sim card! Can't say any wrong world about 3 at all!
    Live in wexford and workin in Taghmon and both places are really good covered with 3G even on plant site have 2-3 bars on my ip4.

About the sites which you lads linked
    ALL of them are working perfect on iPhone 4 but what you need do is call CS and they will set up it for you. India guy which enable my access said I can do it on my own on 3 page, just buy mobile broadband add on and then switch it off.
    Told him that will cost me 10€ and I want it for free then he done it for me. Got text bout my mobile broadband is added then another broadband is off.
    All sites are open! And I done this after 2 days with my ip4 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭pah

padocon wrote: »

Thanks

seriously?

theres a couple of big threads on iphone with 3 here
    try the search function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

For those of you jailbroken and having 3G connectivity issues: i came across a cydia app that looks like it might help. It's called Auto3G. It's main purpose is to turn off the 3G radio when the iPhone is locked to save battery but it seems to do the trick in latching back onto the 3G network automatically. i.e no more toggling airplane mode!! It's $5.99 in cydia.

I'll report back in a couple days and let you's know if it works consistently before you go off and buy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭borygo77

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    For those of you jailbroken and having 3G connectivity issues: i came across a cydia app that looks like it might help. It's called Auto3G. It's main purpose is to turn off the 3G radio when the iPhone is locked to save battery but it seems to do the trick in latching back onto the 3G network automatically. i.e no more toggling airplane mode!! It's $5.99 in cydia.

I'll report back in a couple days and let you's know if it works consistently before you go off and buy it!

Look here ;)click seems like we have same solution ;P

borygo77 wrote: »
    Look here ;)click seems like we have same solution ;P
    Us wexford lads have the best ideas ;)

How long have you been using it? Does it work consistently?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

Anybody else having issues with secure services/sites (i.e. twitter, facebook, gmail) - I can no longer sign into anything secure while on 3G. One week now and I am constantly onto support, not even going to bother this time, phone is going back this week, but just curious if it is only me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Ronan wrote: »
    Anybody else having issues with secure services/sites (i.e. twitter, facebook, gmail) - I can no longer sign into anything secure while on 3G. One week now and I am constantly onto support, not even going to bother this time, phone is going back this week, but just curious if it is only me?

I've had this same issue over the past few days. Usually toggling airplane mode fixes it, but it's a little worrying.

fbradyirl wrote: »
    I've had this same issue over the past few days. Usually toggling airplane mode fixes it, but it's a little worrying.

Thanks. Yes, very worrying, which is why I am going to go with Vodafone, I have no confidence in three as a provider after just 8 days with them and about 7 helpdesk calls.
    On the off chance anybody from three Ireland is reading this, do yourself a favor and at least try to answer/reassure people that you know there are issues and offer steps to rectify them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Had the same issue yesterday, it's all good today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

that you know there are issues and offer steps to rectify them.

What are the issues your facing right now?

Thanks. Yes, very worrying, which is why I am going to go with Vodafone, I have no confidence in three as a provider after just 8 days with them and about 7 helpdesk calls.
    On the off chance anybody from three Ireland is reading this, do yourself a favor and at least try to answer/reassure people that you know there are issues and offer steps to rectify them.
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I was using auto 3G and noticed sometimes I had no signal where I usually would
    I'm with o2 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I had an "interesting" issue on Saturday:
    128245.PNG

Didn't affect my ability to make calls and the carrier name went back to 3 after about an hour.

What are the issues your facing right now?

3G reception is spotty in a lot of areas (and this is still within Dublin where previously on O2 I had perfect 3G), to be fair tech support guys enabled the 2G data access for me, but it is so slow it renders most data tasks unbearable.

Also, when in a dodgy 3G area I frequently get a message popping up saying that the there is no service available and I have to dismiss it and wait for the 2G network to kick in.

When I go back to a good 3G area I have to 'airplane mode' to get it back on track

I have now encountered an issues where I am on 3G and cannot access secure services, and had to reset my carrier several times to get this going again. (Thanks fbradyirl)

I have talked to 3 technical support on 5 occasions, and only once did I talk to somebody who half knew what they were on about.

All in all after 8 days of being with 3 I find the above unacceptable and I am afraid if I miss the opportunity to quit during the cooling period I will become very frustrated over the next 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well I bought an iPhone 4 on friday with "3" wish I had found this BEFORE I did, dont want to say it all again but I am in Navan town in Meath and could not get 2 bars of signal on the 3 never mind getting 3G at all. Traded in my old iPhone 3G and paid the €100 excess and got the phone. To make a long story boring, I got my REFUND today and my contract cancelled (After spending 40 mins on to Tech Support who agreed I was in a BLACKSPOT...YEAH RIGHT) and made a note on my account to get my contract cancelled.

So now I am with O2 who to not take trade ins but at least I can sell my old iPhone 3G to make some money back.

Absolute perfect on O2 the minute I turned the phone on, Yes 3 price plan is better with the flexi Units etc but for the love of god the goodness is lost with a nice phone with the HASSLE.....

O2 all the way TBH....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Colts

Was thinking of getting a 32gb next week with '3' but I have to say from reading this thread i'm starting to think it's a bad idea!

Would I be much better off going with Vodafone, which will mean €80 more for the phone and not quite as good a package. Unfortunately O2 isn't an option as I left their service about 3 years ago, so I doubt my chances of getting a phone for quite a while!

To be honest you should have left the *WARNING* in the title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    To be honest you should have left the *WARNING* in the title

+1
    Given the amount of negative comments it is fair that the original title is reinstated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

corklad32 wrote: »
    +1
    Given the amount of negative comments it is fair that the original title is reinstated.
    TBF, a lot of the negative comments are from you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

If you ask Three will they turn off their blocking software for inappropriate sites?

BTW I have a Nokia e61 with Three and certain sites are blocked on that phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

silvine wrote: »
    If you ask Three will they turn off their blocking software for inappropriate sites?

BTW I have a Nokia e61 with Three and certain sites are blocked on that phone.

I don't think so, but would love to be proven wrong.

I called their customer service yesterday and the first question was "Is it an adult site". Told them no it isn't. They told me to clear the cache and cookies and try again and call back if it doesn't work in which case they will escalate to tier 2 support. Not sure I want to go through the hassle of calling back...

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Jimdagym wrote: »
    TBF, a lot of the negative comments are from you.

And a LOT of other people , more unhappy than happy with shambolic three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

The current title is perfectly fair and will stay that way. Given the number of replies and position on page one, interested parties will be drawn to it by size alone, never mind subject. We can't be constantly chopping and changing thread titles.

The tier 2 support that was meant to call me back today never did so I called again and after 40 minutes was told that "this is a known issue and they are working with vodafone to fix it but can not give a time frame for a fix". Even though the last time I called was told that the issues are unique to my handset.

So I requested that the money I paid for a data add on be refunded as they are offering a service they cannot fully provide (as I cannot connect to internet 80% of time without manually choosing 3g) and they refunded me. I strongly advise anyone with the same issues to follow suit so they will see that they are losing money (not to mention customers) due to these issues and may encourage them to hurry up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Was called by a perfectly delightful young lady from 3 last Friday. All written complaints logged and to be investigated (allegedly). All disputed charges such as those for Facetime activation refunded on the spot. I find them very agreeable to deal with and I also find that a great deal of the staff seem to have put "the script" to one side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Vodaphone and 3 take old iPhones as trade ins. Brilliant if like me you have the older 3G not so sure you get good money for a 3GS as they still selling very well. O2 do not take the trade ins, but you could sell it privately. Vodaphone have this stupid €150 euro up front on top of buying the phone as Insurance ffs!!! Only short of getting your parents to go guarantors......

The phone is cheaper on O2 then vodaphone but O2 are only selling to exsisting customers as they say the stock is short....hmmm I dunno.

On O2 it will cost €259 on the lowest plan and €40 p/m with an 18mths contract. And €45 a month on a 12mth contract....however if a new iphone comes out in the next year or two then a 12mth contract will not get you a discounted phone....and no 1st refusal.....so I was told :confused::confused:

It depends who all your friends and family are with...thats where you will save money ringing them and texting them...I have all calls and txts FREE to O2 at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

Hi guys..

So, I have an ex 02 3GS since last November with 3.. 02 unlocked it for me but it's also jaillbroken.. With regards the 3G/going onto Vodafones network, here is what I see..

I am living in Waterford and have 3G access most of the time.. however when I am outside 3G area around Waterford my phone does not change to the grps/circle thingy..

I went home to Limerick 2 weekends ago and was in and out on 3G coverage and it changed to grps/3g perfectly.. While driving back to waterford from west limerick i have the phone on a cradle and was keeping an eye on the coverage and it changed from 3g/grps perfectly until i was outside Clonmel.. 3G went but circle/grps didn't appear..

Same thing happened last weekend on the way back from Galway.. all the way down it changed from 3G/gprs with circle perfectly well until i arrived outside Clonmel..

So, 3 and Vodafone must be upgrading or fixing parts of the network at a time???? Anyway I called 3 and got to tier 2 support and my god talk about talking to people that haven't a clue.. I tried to explain what the situation above and in the end I just had to hang up.. The CS girl just kept repeating the same thing.. oh just just turn on and off aeroplane mode.. It's really sad we know more than these CS people..

Anyway does anyone else see the same pattern regarding the 3g/grps/circle issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Wat kind of speeds shud I expect on three using the speedtest.net app?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement