Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

Jesus Christ 100 pages :eek:

Anyone care to give some cliff notes? Anything wrong with choosing iPhone4 with Three or should I go with those Vodafone thieves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

spectre wrote: »
    Jesus Christ 100 pages :eek:

Anyone care to give some cliff notes? Anything wrong with choosing iPhone4 with Three or should I go with those Vodafone thieves?

You don't think they're all negative, do you? Some of us are having a ball with 3.

naasrd wrote: »
    You don't think they're all negative, do you? Some of us are having a ball with 3.

Not to sound like a smart arse but I don't know, that's why I asked.

If Three's mobile broadband fiasco thread in the broadband forum is anything to go by then perhaps I have something to fear, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

im having no probelms with three except havin to pay for voicemail but ive figured ways around that! infact no other phone network has signal in my office except me (only one on three) so thats a plus! everyone else has there phones on the window ledge and mine works just fine sitting on my desk!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

I think it is fair to say that most people posting had similar problems, namely poor 3G signal in certain areas and when the 3G signal dropped you have to do the 'airplane mode' trick to get back on 3G. Also, a lot of people are not happy with the level of support they got from three. Personally, I handed mine back yesterday and went with vodafone, I am now happy to pay the little extra to at least know I will get a good service (btw, they are offering and extra 100 mins and 100 text for 6 months when you swap over and the price dropped by €30 in store today). For me the straw that did it was I was sitting in a Dublin City Center pub earlier this week and there was 3 of us on iphones, one on 02, one on Vodafone and me on Three, the other 2 had perfect 3G signal and I couldn't pick up anything. Great package but feck all use if you can't use it when you want it. That is just my experience and there are some happy people on here, so the choice is yours.

• Advertisement

Ronan wrote: »
    (btw, they are offering and extra 100 mins and 100 text for 6 months when you swap over and the price dropped by €30 in store today)

What plan was this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

If Three's mobile broadband fiasco thread in the broadband forum is anything to go by then perhaps I have something to fear, no?

I have small bills with 3.

Thanks to 3 I have been able to terminate several other mobile phone and broadband accounts thanks to their generous bundles, facility to call UK landlines and mobiles, 4Gb of data to dispose of how I please and especially the wonder that is 3 Like Home.

Sure, it's crap in Killiney, parts of West Cork and the area around Long Kesh prison but doesn't stop me having a blast with it and ain't a deal-breaker.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ronan wrote: »
    I think it is fair to say that most people posting had similar problems, namely poor 3G signal in certain areas and when the 3G signal dropped you have to do the 'airplane mode' trick to get back on 3G. Also, a lot of people are not happy with the level of support they got from three. Personally, I handed mine back yesterday and went with vodafone, I am now happy to pay the little extra to at least know I will get a good service (btw, they are offering and extra 100 mins and 100 text for 6 months when you swap over and the price dropped by €30 in store today). For me the straw that did it was I was sitting in a Dublin City Center pub earlier this week and there was 3 of us on iphones, one on 02, one on Vodafone and me on Three, the other 2 had perfect 3G signal and I couldn't pick up anything. Great package but feck all use if you can't use it when you want it. That is just my experience and there are some happy people on here, so the choice is yours.

Have VF fixed their website services yet?
    Some places I go that had no signal with o2 or VF does have with 3, and vice versa. I find its a case of swings and roundabouts, TBH. The inconvenience of swiching back to find the 3G signal is a lot less hassle than a website which didn't update your remaining minutes etc for up to 8 days, or actually send your webtexts anywhere, as VF was doing.

In fairness some were having horrendous problems with 3 at the start, but a lot of us weren't. The thread even had a title change, where "warning" was removed from the title as things started to settle down. Some members still have a problem but a lot of us don't. All in all I'd say 3 is worth the move and you should seriously consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

What plan was this?

Perfect Choice 150 - the €45 a month one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

After getting in contact with 3 again it seems the GPRS issue is for everyone, and they're in contact with vodafone about fixing it.

Can anyone tell me if it's properly working for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

working fine for me since the 8.0 update

Only issue is it wont switch back to 3g when there is a signal

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

How did you get the 8.0 update? I'm on 7.1 and the option to update hasn't appeared on iTunes or on the phone itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

treatyman wrote: »
    How did you get the 8.0 update? I'm on 7.1 and the option to update hasn't appeared on iTunes or on the phone itself

When you update to 4.1 you get 8.0 along with it.

rivalius13 wrote: »
    When you update to 4.1 you get 8.0 along with it.

oh right.. won't be getting it so... jailbreak reasons :D:D thanks for the reply

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Seems to be some changes happening. I was in a pub down in the bowels of East Cork last night and checked the signal a few times. 3G was ok, then lost the signal. Went to set 3G again the settings, and there were no other carriers other than 3 (3G) and 3 present. it went back to 3G no problem and worked away. Then, for the first time ever, when I moved around, it went to GPRS. Held that for a while and then back to 3G. Maybe they are making inroads into the problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Feidhlim wrote: »
    working fine for me since the 8.0 update

Only issue is it wont switch back to 3g when there is a signal

Hmm, Seems weird, I'm on the same carrier package and still can't connect.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

Quick question from a Three "newbie"...

Should I opt for the ebills rather than the posted itemised? Apart from saving paper is there a charge for the posted bills?

Thanks

As I mentioned a few days ago i think 3 have sorted the 3G / grps issue in some parts of the country. From my experience most of limerick Clare galway and some of Tipperary are working perfect.. From clonmel to Waterford and all of waterford is definitely not working at all.. In a 3G area it's fine but outside of 3G area it won't switch to the grps with the circle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

treatyman wrote: »
    As I mentioned a few days ago i think 3 have sorted the 3G / grps issue in some parts of the country. From my experience most of limerick Clare galway and some of Tipperary are working perfect.. From clonmel to Waterford and all of waterford is definitely not working at all.. In a 3G area it's fine but outside of 3G area it won't switch to the grps with the circle

Unfortunately it's still not working in Wicklow. The GPRS never kicks in. For me the airplane switch doesn't even work. I have to manually go into select and reselect the 3G network. It has been dropping off less frequently though. And much more often at work than most other places.
    It's not a massive deal to swap the network, for the package I'm on, I can deal with that. My biggest issue remains the blocking of websites I'd like to browse while on 3G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

The only time I can get a usable 3g speed is late at night. The phone defaults to GPRS most of the time and when I manually select 3(3G) it connects with speeds of around 0.2mbps. Tech support keep telling me the network is congested but that's not much help if they don't increase the capacity.

I definitely wouldn't recommend an iphone on Three.

I'd love to return it ( I only got it last week as an upgrade) but Three won't let me. How did other users here manage to send theirs back?

silvine wrote: »
    The only time I can get a usable 3g speed is late at night. The phone defaults to GPRS most of the time and when I manually select 3(3G) it connects with speeds of around 0.2mbps. Tech support keep telling me the network is congested but that's not much help if they don't increase the capacity.

I'd love to return it ( I only got it last week as an upgrade) but Three won't let me. How did other users here manage to send theirs back?

By insisting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

silvine wrote: »

If you sign up to a NEW contract, there is a 2 week cooling off period where you can return and cancel at no charge other than those incurred while using the phone.
    I would have thought the same would have been possible when extending a contract (which I assume happens with an upgrade) though I'm not sure.
    But certainly insisting that you aren't receiving the service you are paying for is the way to go.

Compudaro wrote: »
    Quick question from a Three "newbie"...

Should I opt for the ebills rather than the posted itemised? Apart from saving paper is there a charge for the posted bills?

Thanks

If you check on their website they mention a 3 euro charge for paper bills if I remember correctly. The eBill is fine and I would recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Paper bills are free

I would have thought the same would have been possible when extending a contract (which I assume happens with an upgrade) though I'm not sure go.

7 days to return upgrade not 14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭donkey balls

hi all i just ordered one with three does anyone know where i can get a micro sim adaptor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

get a sim from three

If it was an upgrade you can get a replacement micro sim in a 3 store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭donkey balls

yeah im getting the phone as an upgrade three will send me out the micro sim, but i want use my N97 as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement