Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

mine seems to be moving ok from 2g to 3g and back over the last couple of days, much improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

Apologies if this has been asked before but how do you know if it's switching to 2G when there's no 3G coverage? With mine, when there's no "3G" symbol, I just get a "3" symbol instead. What does that mean? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Compudaro wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before but how do you know if it's switching to 2G when there's no 3G coverage? With mine, when there's no "3G" symbol, I just get a "3" symbol instead. What does that mean? Thanks

Do you get a No Service message on the screen when this occurs, and have you noticed a small blue circle (2g) at times? A 3 symbol suggests you're not getting a signal.

No blue circle, no internet, just the ability to call/text. Does this mean I should be phoning CS and if so, what should I tell them? Thanks again

No blue circle, no internet, just the ability to call/text. Does this mean I should be phoning CS and if so, what should I tell them? Thanks again

Before you ring them turn Airplane mode on and off also check 3G is switched on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

im sure this has already been posted but i couldnt be arsed reading 101 pages!!!

Ive got the iphone 4 and get the 3G issues too. Ive found that by turning off the wifi mode, turning the phone to airplane mode for a second or 2. then turn back to phone mode and go to carrier settings. wait for the available networks to appear. if 3 + 3g appear. and 3g is already ticked but no symbol, then click 3, wait, and then click back to 3G . it will for some strange reason then receive a 3g coverage and i can use the 3G coverage.:rolleyes:

maybe it might work for you too?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Try looking at the first 2/3 pages on this thread, both issues are explained there. BTW, don't do airplane mode for a few seconds.....apparently it takes 10-15 seconds for it to reset properly, so leave it in airplane mode for that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

this is a known issue. Three only offer a 3G service - not a 2G or 2.5G service

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

deravarra wrote: »
    this is a known issue. Three only offer a 3G service - not a 2G or 2.5G service

No, they should also switch to VFs GPRS system when out of 3G coverage, and that is a problem for some people. Seems that for others its working fine.

Rang CS, very helpful guy. Turns out I hadn't got data roaming switched on in settings, thereby allowing the phone to use Vodafone's 2G when 3's 3G is unavailable. Time to test it now...

• Advertisement

Rang CS, very helpful guy. Turns out I hadn't got data roaming switched on in settings, thereby allowing the phone to use Vodafone's 2G when 3's 3G is unavailable. Time to test it now...

Wouldnt be too hopeful ... i still had an issue with data roaming switched on. I switched to vodafone after a week.

:eek: Great News...

:eek: Great News...

luckily enough i wasnt charged anything for using their network for the week ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

found that 3's coverage was very flaky over the past week but seems to have sorted itself out now..
    another thing is now I get the 2g network everywhere I go, but have to turn on and off airplane mode to get the 3g back again...
    only a minor grip I suppose for having the extended coverage of 2g..something I can live with :)

anyone using a VPN on 3?
    Tried using hotshield but getting the cannot connect it..
    anyone have a free one that works?
    nevermind :D had a wrong digit in the ip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

I have been getting 2G service (blue circle) over the past few days for the first time ever. It even reconnected to 3G by itself a few times :eek:

Still need to do so manually most of the time but it's a start...

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    I have been getting 2G service (blue circle) over the past few days for the first time ever. It even reconnected to 3G by itself a few times :eek:

Still need to do so manually most of the time but it's a start...

Yeah, I noticed it switching back over the weekend. It drops to 2g when I enter Liffey Valley for some reason, I left it and it went back to 3G

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pdelacy

Ricky91t wrote: »
    After getting in contact with 3 again it seems the GPRS issue is for everyone, and they're in contact with vodafone about fixing it.

Can anyone tell me if it's properly working for them?

Re: no GPRS on 2G VF network: I've been trying to get this fixed for my iPhone 4 on my business account. I keep chasing tech support but they keep saying it's with the techies further up the chain. I patiently await a reply....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pdelacy

Unfortunately it's still not working in Wicklow. The GPRS never kicks in. For me the airplane switch doesn't even work. I have to manually go into select and reselect the 3G network. It has been dropping off less frequently though. And much more often at work than most other places.
    It's not a massive deal to swap the network, for the package I'm on, I can deal with that. My biggest issue remains the blocking of websites I'd like to browse while on 3G.

For browsing websites that Three routinely block as inappropriate, try using Opera (download from AppStore) as their servers download the content then repackage for transmission to phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

pdelacy wrote: »
    For browsing websites that Three routinely block as inappropriate, try using Opera (download from AppStore) as their servers download the content then repackage for transmission to phone.

That's what I've been doing. Opera browser is horrendous though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭naanman

does anyone have a phone number or email for 3's irish offices ? just been cut off for being 12 euro 53 cent behind in my payments :mad::mad: getting no satisfaction with customer care just treats of debt collection agencys :eek: for 12 euro 53 cent

That's what I've been doing. Opera browser is horrendous though.

use a vpn then..hotshield's recommended as it's free.
    Seen some mention of ads in the browser but I haven't noticed any yet..

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    use a vpn then..hotshield's recommended as it's free.
    Seen some mention of ads in the browser but I haven't noticed any yet..

That's gone over my head buddy. Could you explain how I go about that?
    Thanks.

That's gone over my head buddy. Could you explain how I go about that?
    Thanks.

I'll send on the link later on..it's blocked here at work..
    very straightforward to setup

Here you go

http://hotspotshield.com/clientless/iphone/get_started.php

just click on the get account id and it will give you a unique username and password to use...if you can't connect first off just reboot the iphone after setting it up and it should work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

Hei guys, I have few questions about unlocking iPhone 4. I bought iPhone 4 just when it was released (18 months contract / €260) and was so exited about it, that I totally forgot about one thing... That I need to unlock it too, because I travel a lot and using different SIMs. Anyway, I called customer support after about a week and asked them to unlock it. And they said "No problem, but it will cost you €25." I agreed with that... And about week later they called me again that my iPhone can't be unlocked because of the price and contract I'm on. And they will unlock it only if I pay about €1000 or something like this... :-D Then I realized, I'm basically fuc...ed. Anyway, I decided to give it to my girlfriend and buy new one for full price... I would buy it from apple, but they don't have them on stock... O2 will have them this friday and saturday and Three.ie have plenty in stock... And my question is... if I buy it from three, for full price as prepay... will they unlock it then or do I have to sign some stupid contract anyway...
    p.s. Was also thinking about going to Belfast this weekend and get it in Apple store, but they are out of stock too :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

afaik all the operators require ya have topped up around €150 before they will unlock any handset on prepay, i know its def that way with o2 but three could be different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I think it's €130 with 3

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    I'll send on the link later on..it's blocked here at work..
    very straightforward to setup

Here you go

http://hotspotshield.com/clientless/iphone/get_started.php

just click on the get account id and it will give you a unique username and password to use...if you can't connect first off just reboot the iphone after setting it up and it should work fine

Ah Dude, that worked perfectly. Many thanks to you Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

anyone know if there is a way to use the webtexts on 3 to go internationally ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

anyone know if there is a way to use the webtexts on 3 to go internationally ????

No, they are national SMS only.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement