Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭clivej

Hi all here in the iPhone4 section. Read through this thread as best I can.

OK so I got an iPhone on Monday on 3bill pay from CP WH. First off I had trouble with the 3G not connecting and dropping back to 3 (is that 2g?). After reading here I put data roaming on and did a network soft reset, which looked to have kept 3G on. Tuned off data roaming now and it looked to hold the 3G OK.

But what it will not do is if 3G is dropped it will not go back without doing the airplane on/off thing.

I went to CPwh and got them to agree to take it back and now I have the next week (9 days) to see if things improve any before returing it.

Did I miss reading how to get the iPhone4 (under settings) to reconnect to the 3G network after it got droped?????

Cheers.
    cliveJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

clivej wrote: »
    Did I miss reading how to get the iPhone4 (under settings) to reconnect to the 3G network after it got droped?????

No it's still a problem for many of us. Though some have reported it switching back to 3G itself recently, for the most we have to toggle Airplane on and off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭TrustNoOne

15c to check voicemail? What a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

TrustNoOne wrote: »
    15c to check voicemail? What a joke.

15c a MINUTE, as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Bought the Iphone last Sunday, and have had nothing but problems with it. It doesnt connect to the net. Have done the Airplane thing, worked once, then gone. Worked today for some reason, then I made a phone call and it went again.

I have 2 calls logged with the customer support, after the 3rd its going back and I'm going to try get out of this contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭TrustNoOne

culabula wrote: »
    15c a MINUTE, as far as I know.

That's what I meant to say. Even if it was 1c a minute, it's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Brianj90

Has anyone received a call from the three team offering you vouchers? If you can get someone to join to the three network you will receive a free months on your contract and so will te friend who changed. Doesn't sound to bad,

Anyone thinking of changing to three :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Brianj90 wrote: »
    Has anyone received a call from the three team offering you vouchers? If you can get someone to join to the three network you will receive a free months on your contract and so will te friend who changed. Doesn't sound to bad,

Yeah, have 12 of them here gathering dust!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Brianj90 wrote: »

naasrd wrote: »
    Yeah, have 12 of them here gathering dust!!

Likewise its a good offer but it wud be hard enough to find anyone willing to swap. no hope 36 people on boards wanna buy an iphone on 3 and we can all used the offer to the max

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just a few questions - Does Tethering cost any extra, or will it just use my data plan?

Are phone calls/texts to the UK taken from my flexiunits or will i be charged? (I know there is no roaming in the UK with Three on the ThreeUK network, hence the question).

Cheers.

No extra cost for tethering whatsoever.

All texts to foreign destinations are charged accordingly. However calls to the UK come out of your flexi-units.

I don't understand your last comment: of course there is roaming with 3UK and while there, you may enjoy all of these benefits without penalty.

• Advertisement

Heh i meant to say "no roaming charges

Aha! Well, whether you are in Ireland or in the UK and on the 3 network, you may phone UK landlines or mobiles with a considerable deal of impunity as you will not be charged. Some say this is good for 50% of your units but it practice, it seems you may use all of them.

Heh i meant to say "no roaming charges

You can also enjoy free Bitbuzz in Blighty and use all of your data ( which can be as much as 4Gb).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

brophs wrote: »
    For anyone who is still experiencing a problem with not getting 2g...

My g/f bought the phone a few weeks ago and after I did a bit of checking it became apparent she had no 2g connection when 3g dropped, meaning she couldn't access the net. Having read this thread I knew that the correct thing to do was to firmly tell them that I knew of several people who had gotten this problem sorted by having their issue escalated to 'Tier 2 Technical Support' to solve a 'GPRS provisioning issue'.

I had the same problem - got an iPhone4 2 weeks ago and I get good 3G coverage almost everywhere I need it apart from where I work (Citywest) where I only get 2G (the 'circle'). When on 2G I had no data access - got redirected to the 3 'out of credit' page every time I tried.

So based on the above post, I took the same approach, i.e. called customer service and got the issue escalated to solve a GPRS provisioning issue (note: ask for a case number in case you have to ring back). Now I get data access when on 2G, and all is well.
    Thanks all for the good advice - without it I wouldn't have got sorted.

Why why why is it necessary to ring customer service and demand this be fixed? :confused:

(To be fair and balanced I should say that I've been a 3 customer for over 4 years and have never had any problems with them until now.)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

ok so today my bill came out they havnt reset my felxi units left any one no how long i have till they reset them i want to use them up? also is there an extra charge for tethering cause i used the net alot on my phone (have just over 2gb a month) well i thought i used it alot but its hardly changed and i cant roll it over so i wana used it before they reset it :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

What is your billing date? No one here can tell you when your units will be refreshed as there are different billing cycle dates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

loinnsigh wrote: »
    I had the same problem - got an iPhone4 2 weeks ago and I get good 3G coverage almost everywhere I need it apart from where I work (Citywest) where I only get 2G (the 'circle'). When on 2G I had no data access - got redirected to the 3 'out of credit' page every time I tried.

So based on the above post, I took the same approach, i.e. called customer service and got the issue escalated to solve a GPRS provisioning issue (note: ask for a case number in case you have to ring back). Now I get data access when on 2G, and all is well.
    Thanks all for the good advice - without it I wouldn't have got sorted.

Why why why is it necessary to ring customer service and demand this be fixed? :confused:

(To be fair and balanced I should say that I've been a 3 customer for over 4 years and have never had any problems with them until now.)

Great to hear we have another satisified customer. I'm just very grateful to the knowledgeable folks in this thread without whom I would have been grasping around in the dark.

But I agree. It is appalling that they seem to be fixing it on a complaint basis. And yet I will be porting over to them in the next week or two when my contract expires. The prices are outstanding and where I live the coverage is perfect.

Walkman wrote: »
    What is your billing date? No one here can tell you when your units will be refreshed as there are different billing cycle dates

where do i find out my billing dates the money came out today but no units have been refreshed so was just wondering if any one knows how long it takes once the moneys come out for the units to be refreshed!

or does the money come out the same date for everone and then different time for your units to be refreshed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Go to my3, my account, recent bills. The date on that us the date your units will get refreshed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'm sure I'll jinx the bloody thing now, but it seems to be holding 3G now, and switching back to 2G if and when needed. Still can't get websites on 2G,but that'll probably take another call next week when I go on the Flex plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

brophs wrote: »
    Great to hear we have another satisified customer. I'm just very grateful to the knowledgeable folks in this thread without whom I would have been grasping around in the dark.

But I agree. It is appalling that they seem to be fixing it on a complaint basis. And yet I will be porting over to them in the next week or two when my contract expires. The prices are outstanding and where I live the coverage is perfect.

Where are you based? I am in Tullamore and I'm considering changing over from O2 to 3. I spend most of the day O2's edge network and only get 3G coverage at home in the evenings. 3's tarriffs are very appealing. Particuarly when compared to the new monthly tarriff's that O2 introduced last Friday. I would change over to 3 in a flash if I knew that their coverage was any good in my area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Well seems my calls to customer support worked, my 2nd call was escalated and I'm now getting 2g. Haven't got 3g yet though, so will phone again tomorrow.

im not really havin many probelms with have signal most of the time and 3g (sometimes have to toggle airplaine mode to get it) but i dont mind that but something keeps popping up on my screen it says
    network lost, you have selected a network that is no longer available you can choose a different network in settings
    then i can click settings or dimiss settings brings me to the carrier settigns

but the weird thing is i never lose signal when its up it just keeps happening anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

sophie1234 wrote: »
    something keeps popping up on my screen it says
    network lost, you have selected a network that is no longer available you can choose a different network in settings
    then i can click settings or dimiss settings brings me to the carrier settigns

Go into settings > carrier and select "automatic", this will most likely solve your 2G vs 3G issues and stop that pop up from coming up!

thanks i have it at automatic and it still pops up? i took a screen shot so going to go into a three shop and see if they have seen it before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Looking at getting the iphone 4 on 3 contract.

There's alot of posts on this thread and I was wondering could someone answer a few questions

- Is is worth getting the iphone from 3 or am I better sticking to vodafone...
    - Am I going to have major trouble access internet
    - In general are 3 any good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

hi,
    just got an iphone on 3. Question, i have an "old style" sim an O2 one, my number is getting ported to 3. Will my number be ported to the "micro sim" that 3 gave me, as currently thats showing up as an "083 xxx" number .
    thanks !

Go into settings > carrier and select "automatic", this will most likely solve your 2G vs 3G issues and stop that pop up from coming up!

on second thoughts that seems to have worked by doing it again thanks!
    L5 wrote: »
    hi,
    just got an iphone on 3. Question, i have an "old style" sim an O2 one, my number is getting ported to 3. Will my number be ported to the "micro sim" that 3 gave me, as currently thats showing up as an "083 xxx" number .
    thanks !

yes takes a couple of hours but your number will be ported onto the micro sim

Looking at getting the iphone 4 on 3 contract.

There's alot of posts on this thread and I was wondering could someone answer a few questions

- Is is worth getting the iphone from 3 or am I better sticking to vodafone...
    - Am I going to have major trouble access internet
    - In general are 3 any good

where are u based? i live in cabinteely work in dun leary am based in town to days a week and never have signal issues with 3g i have to toggle airplaine mode everyknow and again to get 3g back on noting majoir im the only one in the office with 3 and the only one who gets phone signal in work! so other them my earlier issue witch is now sorted ive no probs at all with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Is there anyway I can get two copies of my SIM card. I want to be able to use my iPhone SIM card in a Nokia phone. Is there a way to clone my micro sim card onto a sim card or will three help?

silvine wrote: »
    Is there anyway I can get two copies of my SIM card. I want to be able to use my iPhone SIM card in a Nokia phone. Is there a way to clone my micro sim card onto a sim card or will three help?

you can buy adapters that you can put the micro sim in to make it a large sim ! fairly cheap off ebay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

sophie1234 wrote: »
    on second thoughts that seems to have worked by doing it again thanks!

yes takes a couple of hours but your number will be ported onto the micro sim

where are u based? i live in cabinteely work in dun leary am based in town to days a week and never have signal issues with 3g i have to toggle airplaine mode everyknow and again to get 3g back on noting majoir im the only one in the office with 3 and the only one who gets phone signal in work! so other them my earlier issue witch is now sorted ive no probs at all with them!

I'm working in cork living in Killaloe so not exactly mainstream locations. Would it be possible to get a 3 sim to test out the coverage and return it if it was unacceptable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement