Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Looking at getting the iphone 4 on 3 contract.

There's alot of posts on this thread and I was wondering could someone answer a few questions

- Is is worth getting the iphone from 3 or am I better sticking to vodafone...
    - Am I going to have major trouble access internet
    - In general are 3 any good

There are many yays as nays to your questions. Some people have had nightmares, others haven't had a problem at all and some can live with the odd problem. Have a look at Vodafone's own iPhone forum as well as the thread here. Some VF forum members are having some problems of their own that you won't read here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Does anybody know if there is any way to find out when our free addons get refreshed? I have been waiting a fair while since I hit 0 on my free texts addon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

My3, My Account, Recent Bills. The date of your bills is the date your allowances get refreshed. You can use your flexi units for texts. 1 flexi unit = 2 text messages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Walkman wrote: »
    My3, My Account, Recent Bills. The date of your bills is the date your allowances get refreshed. You can use your flexi units for texts. 1 flexi unit = 2 text messages

Thanks, I was referring to the free addon that we get though. My bill has cycled and I haven't been given more of the free addon texts.

Everything should get refreshed on the same day, data, 3 to 3 calls, flexi units and free add on, mine does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Can I ask what the signal is like in the waterford city area??

With o2 at the moment but have a few concerns about switching to 3....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

Really struggling to figure this out! Read another thread and based on the advice there, I tried to change the voicemail number using a # code but I'm still being charged when I use voicemail. Can anyone explain how to get around this?

Thanks!

Compudaro wrote: »
    Really struggling to figure this out! Read another thread and based on the advice there, I tried to change the voicemail number using a # code but I'm still being charged when I use voicemail. Can anyone explain how to get around this?

Thanks!

Yeah, I couldn't get it to work either. The good news is that the Hullomail app is now available for download. It takes your voicemails and you access it on your iPhone for free. There's a thread here about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

naasrd wrote: »
    Yeah, I couldn't get it to work either. The good news is that the Hullomail app is now available for download. It takes your voicemails and you access it on your iPhone for free. There's a thread here about it.

This is exactly what I did. Charging for VM is a joke tbh.

BrianjG wrote: »
    This is exactly what I did. Charging for VM is a joke tbh.

That's putting it mildly, I think it's a mean spirited and cynical excercise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

naasrd wrote: »
    That's putting it mildly, I think it's a mean spirited and cynical excercise.

I think they've all done it at one stage or another, and I think 3 just got caught out with it. Really is a stupid, stupid reason to get people riles up, when their packages are so much better than the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

I updated to iOS 4.1 on Tuesday. Not sure if it has anything to do with it or if it's just a coincidence but my 3G has been automatically reconnecting ever since. I haven't touched the airplane mode button at all! On the phone (well, on hold) to tech support now trying to get my GPRS sorted out. Maybe updating to iOS 4.1 with carrier bundle 8.0 will help others too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    I updated to iOS 4.1 on Tuesday. Not sure if it has anything to do with it or if it's just a coincidence but my 3G has been automatically reconnecting ever since. I haven't touched the airplane mode button at all! On the phone (well, on hold) to tech support now trying to get my GPRS sorted out. Maybe updating to iOS 4.1 with carrier bundle 8.0 will help others too.

Could you post here if you get it sorted? :)

I've been waiting a month now for a fix!

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Could you post here if you get it sorted? :)

I've been waiting a month now for a fix!
    Those indians are actually ****ing impossible to speak to. All they do is repeat themselves and repeat what I say!

First they tried to tell me to switch airplane mode on/off when I lose 3G coverage. I told them I do that but I am speaking about areas that /do not/ have 3G coverage. That little conversation repeated about 3 times.

Then he tried to tell me that there is no data on the gprs network, only 3G. I got him to speak to his supervisor who informed him there is in fact data on GPRS. He finally spent 6/7 minutes writing an email to the "network department" who will supposedly get back to me.

An absolute joke of customer service if you ask me

Call again and ask to be put through to their dedicated iPhone tech dept based in Waterford.

Call again and ask to be put through to their dedicated iPhone tech dept based in Waterford.
    114 pages in and I'm only hearing about this now? :P

Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

going to england for 3 days at the end of the month,just wondering what sort of charges/rates i'll be charged for?
    how much are texts?can i use my flexi units while in england?also,data,costs a fortune when abroad does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

i was in uk recently. data comes out of your data bundle, as do calls to ireland, AND UK numbers come out of your flexi units.

however texts are charged.

just confirm with them that 3 like home is activated.

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    114 pages in and I'm only hearing about this now? :P

Seriously?

It's been mentioned here a few times

Travelling to Galway by train this morning I noticed my phone switching back to 3G automatically again. It's probably being doing this a while as I forgot to switch it back to automatic in Settings. Worth checking what you have it set on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Marshall987

Hi Im thinking of changing from meteor and getting the 40p/m deal with 3 on the Iphone4.

Is there any difference between buying online or within a three store?
    other than the price.

And would it be worth travelling to a three store or just going to my local car phone warehouse like if anything goes wrong who would be the best to bring it back to.
    thanks

Always go to a network store if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Seriously considering moving to 3 after O2 increased their prices and dropped data allowance from 2Gb to 500Mb.

Anyone using 3 in Ballincollig/Bishopstown area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Actually, I have been finding that 3's Customer Service has been getting very good of late and is demonstrating a new concerned and better-informed approach.

I never ring them, but frequently email them which always terminates with a) a result and b)both a call from them and an email. In addition, apart from the fact that on the one hand 3UK resolved unwanted data charges and 3IRL re-imbursed all these annoying FaceTime SMS charges, they both send follow-up emails to find out if I was satisfied, happy and the issue resolved.

Those of you having difficulty understanding their accents (I don't -they are extremely well-spoken and educated) might consider emailing instead; latterly response has been no more than 48 hours.

I am still having network problems with my 3 Ireland SIM and I thought I'd copy you all on my latest missive to them, hoping that they might act upon this soon. As a backdrop to this, let me explain that on at least 2 occasions, I have been denied access to 3UK for lengthy periods in the course of a day.

-BEGINS-

Dear CXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your prompt response to my earlier email and especially in crediting the foreign SMS charged for repeatedly while activating FaceTime.

With regard to your other points, I accept that you cannot guarantee access to 3 while on another network but unfortunately this is not quite the issue here. In the first instance, I am not talking about an area where 3 is hard to access, but one where 3UK has a strong presence and where I have a 3UK SIM showing full strength in an iphone 3G, side-by-side with a 3 Italy SIM in an iPad and a 3Pay IRL SIM with absolutely no problems in a Nokia N95.

Only the 3 IRL contract SIM (083xxxxxxx) in an iPhone 4 in the exact same situation has these serious access problems, showing an incompatibility between your 3G network and this handset, problems which are heavily reported on as I am sure you are aware within the State, but which are clearly impacting upon its ability to perform not just at home but also while attempting to roam on 3UK.

Thus it was 3 weeks ago, I was denied access to 3UK for over 6 hours owing to a fault and not a lack of network in the area in question.

In addition, the problem is not specific to 3UK but is experienced by me on a weekly basis when returning to the republic of Ireland and the 3 Ireland network at Dundalk: it can sometimes take an hour for me to access the network and clearly, this is your responsibility. I have never had problems like this before in 5 years of using your network and in a variety of handsets including various Nokias and the iPhone 3G, the latter not supported by your network at that time, yet performing impeccably.

iPhone 4 IS supported by your network yet frequently I am unable to get access until Drogheda station. Clearly there is something seriously amiss with the handover at the border in BOTH directions.

As I advised in my previous email, I have since taken steps to acquire a new blank microSIM and have had the SIM swapped. Happily, there has been a considerable improvement in the account's ability to hold a 3G signal on 3UK and in central Dublin on 3 Ireland demonstrating irrefutably that the previous SIM was not properly provisioned, as I suspected. However, the handover problems persist at the border and are both frustrating and unacceptable since other handsets will show that there should not be such an issue.

Spending up to an hour in each direction trying repeatedly to regain access to the network is a waste of time and one that 3 Ireland needs to address immediately since you are certainly answerable for the problems on your own network,

Thank you for your attention,

Éamonn

-ENDS-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Very unhappy with 3 Internet coverage. Having major problems connecting to Internet anywhere even in city centre, it's pretty much unusable. I have thr phone 4 days can I return it and cancel the contract on these grounds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

L5 wrote: »
    Very unhappy with 3 Internet coverage. Having major problems connecting to Internet anywhere even in city centre, it's pretty much unusable. I have thr phone 4 days can I return it and cancel the contract on these grounds?

You can cancel during the first 14 days but I would give them a call first. I live in Dublin City Centre and have pretty much perfect 3G at all times although it was awful in the begining. Its probably some setting or a fault on the phone. Have you updated to ios 4.1 and new carrier settings etc...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

My 3g/2g issues seem to have been resolved now. I was on the train up and down to Dublin Friday and it was switching. I'm not sure if it was the speed of the train going through different areas, but it spent a long time on 2G. Could be just a bit slow moving back and forward between them. Way, way better than it was though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

really???:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Complete tethering newbie question; er, how does one do it? I have an iPhone on Three.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Hey, sorry if this has been posted before but searched through this thread and can't find the answer... Got iphone 4 last week with three and no major probs so far... until I tried sending MMS messages at the weekend. I was trying to send an MMS to a uk O2 customer but it didn't work. When I checked with Three support they said I can only send MMS to Uk customers who are on three network as they do not have agreements with any other networks there.... Sounds like a load of bollocks to me... Anyhoo, i tried a couple of MMS to irish networks this evening and same problem even though customer support said there should be no problem with Irish networks..

Anyone else have the same problem and if so did they solve it? I found MMS settings posted by random in mobiles and PDA forum but can't figure out where to actually input them on the phone?!! Any help would be much appreciated..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement