Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

to edit the mms settings go to settings>general>network and then mobile/cellular data network, the mms settings are there

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Cheers for the quick reply guil... Yeah, i got the same info on Three website but still not sure...Maybe i'm doing something really stupid but when I go into Settings> General> Network, the only options I get are Cellular Data - on or off switch, Data Roaming - on or off. Internet tethering, VPN and Wi-Fi info.

Should I input settings into VPN? Currently it says not connected but when I go in the headings are different to the MMS headings as per Randoms post...

Am i missing something here or has anyone else had same prob??

three have disabled the settings via the carrier file, ya could try restore it and see will they work then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Was it a Flex plan you signed up to or Best of Both? If it was Best of Both you need to have credit to send mms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Does anyone know if 3 do a 30 day money back guarantee or anything?
    Im thinking of getting a 16gb one on 3pay but im worried about all the talk about network coverage issues. Im currently on O2 and my coverage goes in and out around the house. My brother is on 3 though and he gets fairly good coverage when he is here. He uses a G1 phone though.
    Dont want to buy one and not be able to use it.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Hi,
    I bought a iphone 4 8 days ago in a 3 store. I want to return it now under their 14 day returns policy. I have receipt, box, all accessories etc. Has anyone else done this successfully?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

BFassassin wrote: »
    Does anyone know if 3 do a 30 day money back guarantee or anything?
    Im thinking of getting a 16gb one on 3pay but im worried about all the talk about network coverage issues. Im currently on O2 and my coverage goes in and out around the house. My brother is on 3 though and he gets fairly good coverage when he is here. He uses a G1 phone though.
    Dont want to buy one and not be able to use it.
    Thanks
    As per the comment above, they have a 14 day returns policy.

When I first switched to 3 (about 1.5 months ago) I had the issue where it would not switch back to 3G automatically, I had to toggle airplane mode to get it back. Over the past couple of weeks this problem has seemed to disappear (touch wood)!

Even with the 3G issue tho, I don't think I have been without any sort coverage at all while with 3.

Only problem remaining now is that I cannot access data while on GPRS. 3 say that the priceplan I am on (best of both 15 + Internet Mini Add-on) does not allow GPRS data access. It doesn't state that anywhere in the Terms & Conditions so I demanded that it be enabled on my account and am awaiting a response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Anyone looking to get an iphone 4 with three, Pm for details so we can both get 1 month free line rental.

Mods, I hope this okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭brianhickey

oceanclub wrote: »
    Complete tethering newbie question; er, how does one do it? I have an iPhone on Three.

P.

Turn tethering on in Settings-General-Network, then read the instructions on the screen. You can use either USB or bluetooth to connect it to the computer. The status bar on the phone should be blue if it is working. Not sure about PC but on the mac there was no software to install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭decies

Thor wrote: »
    Anyone looking to get an iphone 4 with three, Pm for details so we can both get 1 month free line rental.

Mods, I hope this okay.
    lol or you CSM pm me then lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

im having the "3g issue" too myself.i work in a factory and there isnt the best reception where i actually work,sometimes i'll have a steady 1 bar and 3G connection but when i lose it and then go outside it stays gone.

bit of a pain to be honest toggling flight mode etc.

is this a Three problem or an iphone problem?

barryd09 wrote: »
    im having the "3g issue" too myself.i work in a factory and there isnt the best reception where i actually work,sometimes i'll have a steady 1 bar and 3G connection but when i lose it and then go outside it stays gone.

bit of a pain to be honest toggling flight mode etc.

is this a Three problem or an iphone problem?

It's totally a 3 problem. I I've the iPhone 4 with o2 since release day and have never had any problems connecting to 3G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Last week I noticed that my iphone 4 switched flawlessly between 2g and 3g perfectly.
    This week it's back to having toggle airplane mode on and off...
    still not too bothered by it though as I'm pretty happy with 3 so far..this is my first iphone and have to say I'm glad I made the move..just a few mins ago I was able to download all the gift grub podcasts for the past 30 days within about 5 mins over 3g..
    I'm having a running battle with one of my mates on twitter who hadn't the patience to wait for the new iphone and plumped for the HTC desire..he's very happy with it but I don't miss any opportunity to slag him over any additional feature on the iphone that he doesn't have and vica versa...so far I'm winning ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Man this is headwrecking. On to customer support at the moment as I have no 2G. He has told me twice to upgrade to software 4.2 despite me having told him its not out yet. Plugged it into itunes just to confirm for him. He's gone back to check....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Gazzetta

My story in relation to Iphone 4 on three is this. I was alarmed at how my units were depleted in a few days.

My questions are:

1. Is using the iPhone4 on the old Relax price plans and technology (2G) a factor in unit depletion.

2. Surely downloading apps does not take up much data?

3. What else is causing unit depletion?

4 Is it going to be any better on the new price plan.

My bill cycle starts on 13th of the month. I get 350 units per month. I rarely go over the limit when in Ireland, and any charges are those which are excluded from the price plan. So from 13th to the 16th it was my typical amount of use. I bought the iPhone on Saturday afternoon, and the phone came live on Saturday evening. Probably used direct internet access that evening. but by the next day I was using wifi mainly. The children were using it download apps (about a dozen) and play games (offline), and I was learning to sync contacts.

ON monday on the train up to dubin I noticed that 3G connection would be lost, and the phone would attempt to connect to 2G. Yet the MY3 page would come up saying out of credit. When in fact I did have credit. However I could not believe I was down to 150 units within a week of the 13th and 2 days after getting the iPhone. And on Tuesday it was down to 85. Today it is 44.

I complained and discovered that the upgrade and price plan request was placed on 19th October 2010, and would not come into effect unti next month. The have offered to re-calculate usage at the end of the month (effectively bringing in the price plan immediately) which I think is fair.

I want to loyal to 3. They give good prices. Using the units in the UK is ideal for me.

Will not read these pages, to pick up other tips (but reminders / hints would be useful) - particularly requesting 2G provisioning when the 3G coverage is so patchy.

kind regards

G

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

I have been thinking about changing over from O2 to Three to take advantage of their great prices and the trade in offer on the iPhone 4 but everytime I come on here I am put off making the switch due to issues people are having with their data network. I see from some of the posts that their 3G coverage is improving. Does anyone have any good experiences of Three, their data network and their customer support? Really like the look of the iPhone but it is pointless getting it if it can't access networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Gazzetta wrote: »
    My story in relation to Iphone 4 on three is this. I was alarmed at how my units were depleted...

G

Downloading apps over 3G could eat up some units. Also which ones are still running in the background? Skype, for instance, could use up some units as it runs in the background when first opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

Seriously considering moving to 3 after O2 increased their prices and dropped data allowance from 2Gb to 500Mb.

Anyone using 3 in Ballincollig/Bishopstown area?

Yes to both of those areas. Full 3G in most parts of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

Mooro wrote: »
    I have been thinking about changing over from O2 to Three to take advantage of their great prices and the trade in offer on the iPhone 4 but everytime I come on here I am put off making the switch due to issues people are having with their data network. I see from some of the posts that their 3G coverage is improving. Does anyone have any good experiences of Three, their data network and their customer support? Really like the look of the iPhone but it is pointless getting it if it can't access networks.

There are a good few people here who don't have problems with Three. I'm one of them, perhaps I'm lucky with where I live and work but I only lose 3G connectivity at one point on the way home (and that's only if I have the phone in my pocket) and now that it falls back to GPRS even that hardly matters.

Their customer support are Indian-based (for now at least) so your mileage may vary.

My best advice is to get a free 3Pay SIM card, get your phone unlocked and throw the SIM in with a tenner's credit, and check your signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

I've just spent an hour on the phone to 'tech' support to sort out my non 2G data issue. The result of that is only to have issue forwarded to network team so still not sorted. It seems you have to go through this rite of passage and once that issue is sorted hopefully you can use the iPhone as intended.

I joined knowing this issue was there and the quality of 'tech' support so I went in with eyes open but you have to deal with these guys to really get to feel the frustration.

I have been on Vodafone and O2 with iPhone 3gs and Voda's 3G speeds were definitely the best. 3 come third but its usable. Can't comment on 2G speeds on 3 but they were pretty crap on Voda and I mostly had 3G anyway.

Otherwise, great price on the phone with a €50 - €100 rebate at the moment. I think good value with the €40 tariff and optional extras. I'd say go for it but just be aware of these teething problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

There are a good few people here who don't have problems with Three. I'm one of them, perhaps I'm lucky with where I live and work but I only lose 3G connectivity at one point on the way home (and that's only if I have the phone in my pocket) and now that it falls back to GPRS even that hardly matters.

Their customer support are Indian-based (for now at least) so your mileage may vary.

My best advice is to get a free 3Pay SIM card, get your phone unlocked and throw the SIM in with a tenner's credit, and check your signal.

Yeah, there are a number of us here with 3 who are aren't having any problems. Perhaps there's room for a thread, or keep it here, where members post their location and 3g signal etc? As more and more there are posts popping up from forum members considering 3 and asking what's the signal in such and such a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

I created another thread for this but just saw this one so I'm adding it here;

I'm getting the issue where my 3G connectivity drops to 2G and I have to manually toggle airplane mode on/off to get it to return to 3G (or I go into carriers and switch to O2 then back to 3G). On top of that the reception is just generally very poor as soon as I go indoors. On the street I get full bars 3G but as soon as I go indoors, pretty much anywhere, I'm down to 1/2 bars of 3G and most of the time it reverts to three's 2G network (which we know is really Vodafone's 2G network). In other words I spend a lot of time forcing it to pick up a weak 3G connection.

I've updated the iOS to verison 4.1 and the 3 carrier to 8.1 with no improvement. I've spoken to 3 support and they are telling me to take to a repair center (fonemenders just off grafton st.). I called them on the phone to ask what the potential fix would be and he said that they would just be replacing the phone. Before doing this I called Apple and they have offered to replace it but I would be without the phone for a week or I could pay €29 and they would have a replacement to me in 1 day. I'm not sure which option I should take: fonemenders or apple. I bought this phone in mid-september so I would assume the hardware is fairly recent.

Either way I'm not confident that a replacement phone will resolve the issue. There seems to be an underlying issue with the Iphone on 3's network. I know 3 put in a "fix" that allows some data roaming on the 2G network but this is very slow and not what I bought the Iphone for.

I was in the states last week and although roaming is activated on my account I was able to roam for all of 5 minutes while I was over there. I was onto 3's tech support three times but they could not resolve the issue. I'm thinking it might be part of the same problem i.e. roaming on other networks (because 3's 2G network in Ireland is really vodafone) and 3G connectivity is not configured properly for the Iphone 4 and 3 Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

fred252 wrote: »
    I created another thread for this but just saw this one so I'm adding it here;

I'm getting the issue where my 3G connectivity drops to 2G and I have to manually toggle airplane mode on/off to get it to return to 3G (or I go into carriers and switch to O2 then back to 3G). On top of that the reception is just generally very poor as soon as I go indoors. On the street I get full bars 3G but as soon as I go indoors, pretty much anywhere, I'm down to 1/2 bars of 3G and most of the time it reverts to three's 2G network (which we know is really Vodafone's 2G network). In other words I spend a lot of time forcing it to pick up a weak 3G connection.

I've updated the iOS to verison 4.1 and the 3 carrier to 8.1 with no improvement. I've spoken to 3 support and they are telling me to take to a repair center (fonemenders just off grafton st.). I called them on the phone to ask what the potential fix would be and he said that they would just be replacing the phone. Before doing this I called Apple and they have offered to replace it but I would be without the phone for a week or I could pay €29 and they would have a replacement to me in 1 day. I'm not sure which option I should take: fonemenders or apple. I bought this phone in mid-september so I would assume the hardware is fairly recent.

Either way I'm not confident that a replacement phone will resolve the issue. There seems to be an underlying issue with the Iphone on 3's network. I know 3 put in a "fix" that allows some data roaming on the 2G network but this is very slow and not what I bought the Iphone for.

I was in the states last week and although roaming is activated on my account I was able to roam for all of 5 minutes while I was over there. I was onto 3's tech support three times but they could not resolve the issue. I'm thinking it might be part of the same problem i.e. roaming on other networks (because 3's 2G network in Ireland is really vodafone) and 3G connectivity is not configured properly for the Iphone 4 and 3 Ireland.

Sounds like a faulty phone to me. I've been on 3 since iP4 launch and although it was terrible at the begining it seems to be fine now. There is the odd drop here and there but nothing like what you are saying. I'd get a replacement if I was you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I cant seem to send picture messages abroad. Any advice/info??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm happy with it...reception is a bit patchy where I live and my hometown but it's the same for all networks, I know O2 are putting a new mast where I live and VF and 3 will also share the mast so that's good news for me.
    I had been onto support for a number of access issues on safari and they sorted them out to me..found them very helpful if slightly lacking in knowledge..since I work in IT anyway I was able to tell them exactly what I thought the issue was and they seemed to understand that and contacted L2 asap.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Sounds like a faulty phone to me. I've been on 3 since iP4 launch and although it was terrible at the begining it seems to be fine now. There is the odd drop here and there but nothing like what you are saying. I'd get a replacement if I was you...

I would think the exact opposite. I had exactly the same problem with a 3G iPhone, then with the brand new iP4. Stuck at 3 support until I got a call from iPhone Tier 2 support who said they were working to resolve it. Seems to be working ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

Well I bit the bullet and got the iPhone 4 on Three at lunch time. Have it charging and waiting for number to be prted over from O2. Will post tomorrow with impressions on coverage etc. Retina Display is deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭brianhickey

Anyone wrote: »
    I cant seem to send picture messages abroad. Any advice/info??

I think someone upthread was saying that it's not possible on three, they don't have agreements with foreign networks for MMS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

is there any way of checking when the 333 webtexts will be replenished in my account each month?its it from whatever date i started the contract with 3?

i started my contract on the 25th of sept,will it be every 25th when my webtexts (and flexi units) get reset?

cheers guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

barryd09 wrote: »
    is there any way of checking when the 333 webtexts will be replenished in my account each month?its it from whatever date i started the contract with 3?

i started my contract on the 25th of sept,will it be every 25th when my webtexts (and flexi units) get reset?

cheers guys

My webtexts seem to be getting refreshed on the monthly anniversary of when I started sending them. Nothing near the billing cycle for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement