Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Ah crap,thats me fecked for free texts for a while so it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Should i be able to get internet access when i dont have a 3g signal?whats is this 2G and Edge i keep reading about?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

whiterebel wrote: »
    I would think the exact opposite. I had exactly the same problem with a 3G iPhone, then with the brand new iP4. Stuck at 3 support until I got a call from iPhone Tier 2 support who said they were working to resolve it. Seems to be working ok now.

What do you mean by seems to be working OK now exactly. Has the 3G reception improved? Do you have to toggle airplane mode on/off to get 3G back when it reverts to 2G? Or do you mean that the 2G data roaming that 3 have implemented is a fix you're happy with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

What I meant (before Whiterebels post) was that mine was awful in the begining but since updating the carrier settings that came with iOS 4.1 and whatever changes they have made to the network it seems to be fine for me now.

Have you tried anything at all to sort it? Reset carrier settings, restore as a new phone, update firmware etc...

Its been a while since I had to toggle airplane mode and I have at least 3 bars of 3G any time I check (I work in Clontarf and live in Dublin city centre).

Maybe give them a call and go thru their troubleshooting. I'm sure they'll either sort it or get you one that works. Either way I'm fairly certain this can be sorted out for you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

fred252 wrote: »
    What do you mean by seems to be working OK now exactly. Has the 3G reception improved? Do you have to toggle airplane mode on/off to get 3G back when it reverts to 2G? Or do you mean that the 2G data roaming that 3 have implemented is a fix you're happy with?

It dropped 3G before and wouldn't go back - Now it does.
    It wouldn't go to GPRS/2G coverage at all - now it does automatically.
    I haven't had to go to airplane mode in a few weeks now.

I don't know if this applies to the 3G iPhone as well, i must try it some day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭fred252

OK, I'm thinking I'll go with the replacement phone from Apple option and be without the phone for a week. I have to say I'm not optimistic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

i sent a picture message off my iphone to my friend with an iphone also on three the other day i got charged they never got the message? any one had this probelm?!
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

sophie1234 wrote: »
    i sent a picture message off my iphone to my friend with an iphone also on three the other day i got charged they never got the message? any one had this probelm?!

You can turn off MMS, ask your friend to see if it's knocked off.

naasrd wrote: »

You can turn off MMS, ask your friend to see if it's knocked off.

thanks for that will ask them later!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

naasrd wrote: »

thanks for that will ask them later!!

Also download PingChat and tell anyone you know with an iPhone to do the same. It's a free text and MMS app, works really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

I got the iPhone 4 on Three yesterday afternoon. So far network coverage is fine. I have 3G at home (and it's substantially faster that it was with O2) and GPRS in work (I could only get on Edge network with O2 when in work-so no change there). There seems to be no issues swtiching between 2G and 3G. So all good on that front.

My problem is with voice and texts. I was porting my number over from O2 to the new Three sim. I was told I could use the new number with the Three sim until the O2 number was ported over. I can sent texts and make calls but no one can contact me on either my old O2 number or my new Three number. All very strangre.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It seems some people have had 24 hours before it all kicked in properly, so it should be ok shortly. If not ring 3 and find out whats going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Hey guys.

I'm off to Scotland tomorrow for a couple of days. What's the story with roaming charges on Three?
    Am I charged for receiving calls?
    Do calls made to Irish mobiles still come out of my units?
    And is my data usage the same? ie from my 2gb allowance or separate roaming data at a higher rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭eskimoparty

Mooro wrote: »
    I got the iPhone 4 on Three yesterday afternoon. So far network coverage is fine. I have 3G at home (and it's substantially faster that it was with O2) and GPRS in work (I could only get on Edge network with O2 when in work-so no change there). There seems to be no issues swtiching between 2G and 3G. So all good on that front.

My problem is with voice and texts. I was porting my number over from O2 to the new Three sim. I was told I could use the new number with the Three sim until the O2 number was ported over. I can sent texts and make calls but no one can contact me on either my old O2 number or my new Three number. All very strangre.

Same thing happened to me two weeks ago. I could only be contacted by people on the 3 network for the weekend. Disaster. Finally after bout 2hours of logging calls I was up and running on the Monday. They dont seem to work in technical support of the weekend.

Hi all, does anybody have difficulties with their Eirtextpro on the three network? Mine keeps telling me that I am unable to log in but it is the same log that works for my customer log in online.
    Here is the message I receive. .

ERROR
    Login Failed. Please check your account details and that your providers website is accessible.

Any help greatly appreciated, Im eating into my flexi units by texting so looking th unlock my free online ones.

Hi all, does anybody have difficulties with their Eirtextpro on the three network? Mine keeps telling me that I am unable to log in but it is the same log that works for my customer log in online.
    Here is the message I receive. .

ERROR
    Login Failed. Please check your account details and that your providers website is accessible.

Any help greatly appreciated, Im eating into my flexi units by texting so looking th unlock my free online ones.

There is a different login for the webtext part from the main site. You need to register for the first time on the webtexts to get your password.

cheers for that, have it sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 BeeBumble

Hi, just wondering how to update the 3 carrier to 8.1? :confused: Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

Hey guys.

I'm off to Scotland tomorrow for a couple of days. What's the story with roaming charges on Three?
    Am I charged for receiving calls?
    Do calls made to Irish mobiles still come out of my units?
    And is my data usage the same? ie from my 2gb allowance or separate roaming data at a higher rate?

phone them, make sure your on 3 like home. when in uk select 3 and data comes out of bundle, not 100% about calls.

after checking the mms setting on mine and there phone there both turned on??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

Anyone with 2G data issues:

Long story short: I wasn't able to access 2G data with my best of both 15 + internet mini add on so got on to tech support (nightmare). They told me that best of both plans do not include data over 2G. Seen as it does not state this in the Terms & Conditions of the plan or anywhere, I sent in a complaint quoting statutory rights and threatening a complaint to comreg.

Got a phonecall back the next day from a lad (irish :)) in the complaints dept and was given two offers: Bump my monthly units from 60 up to 350 and bump my data from 500mb to 2gb and one free add on at no charge. Or, cancel the contract and be refunded for everything I have been charged so far.

I thought that was fairly reasonable, maybe some others can do the same :)

My number was finally ported over from O2 at lunchtime today after waiting 48 hours. I did a sync with iTunes shortly after and ever since I have had no service. Nothing. No voice or no data. I've been on to tecnical support twice. An absolute joke. It seems my problem might be that I activated the phone on iTunes before the number ported over and the network won't recognise the ported number. Anyway to make a long story short. Stay away from Three. Bringing phone back tomorrow which is a pity cos it's a beautiful phone. It is just Three that is a disaster.

My number was finally ported over from O2 at lunchtime today after waiting 48 hours. I did a sync with iTunes shortly after and ever since I have had no service. Nothing. No voice or no data. I've been on to tecnical support twice. An absolute joke. It seems my problem might be that I activated the phone on iTunes before the number ported over and the network won't recognise the ported number. Anyway to make a long story short. Stay away from Three. Bringing phone back tomorrow which is a pity cos it's a beautiful phone. It is just Three that is a disaster.

So you think you made a mistake, but Three are a disaster?
    Have you tried restoring the phone now the number has been ported over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

ok so im having a problem with my iphone 4 on three network. im on the 60 a month deal, and the 2 problems are

1: its either 3G or no signal at all, is there no 2G or GPRS on the three network ?
    2: im having to manually search for the 3G network a lot of the time, the phone isnt reconnecting automatically when 3G is back available.

tried phoning tech support but they advised me to upgrade to software version 4.2 (which isnt even out) :/

any advice? thanks

L5 wrote: »
    ok so im having a problem with my iphone 4 on three network. im on the 60 a month deal, and the 2 problems are

1: its either 3G or no signal at all, is there no 2G or GPRS on the three network ?
    2: im having to manually search for the 3G network a lot of the time, the phone isnt reconnecting automatically when 3G is back available.

tried phoning tech support but they advised me to upgrade to software version 4.2 (which isnt even out) :/

any advice? thanks

Phone 3 again and ask to be escalated. To tier 2 iPhone support. Insist on it, or the phone is going back. That's what I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    Anyone with 2G data issues:

Long story short: I wasn't able to access 2G data with my best of both 15 + internet mini add on so got on to tech support (nightmare). They told me that best of both plans do not include data over 2G. Seen as it does not state this in the Terms & Conditions of the plan or anywhere, I sent in a complaint quoting statutory rights and threatening a complaint to comreg.

Got a phonecall back the next day from a lad (irish :)) in the complaints dept and was given two offers: Bump my monthly units from 60 up to 350 and bump my data from 500mb to 2gb and one free add on at no charge. Or, cancel the contract and be refunded for everything I have been charged so far.

I thought that was fairly reasonable, maybe some others can do the same :)

And 2G still isn't working?

They're failing to provide a data service on 2G yet you're paying for it? You should of made a proper complaint to the Irish customer care and they may of done something about it.

2G is on BOB 15 with the 500mb data package, My phone connects to it and can browse to google, Three's homepage and my3.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    Phone 3 again and ask to be escalated. To tier 2 iPhone support. Insist on it, or the phone is going back. That's what I did.

What exactly did this achieve? I've been escalated to tier 2 over a month now and still nothing.

[QUOTE=Ricky91t;68669936

What exactly did this achieve? I've been escalated to tier 2 over a month now and still nothing.[/QUOTE]

Mine works now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Ricky91t wrote: »

What exactly did this achieve? I've been escalated to tier 2 over a month now and still nothing.

I followed this advice about a week ago. After a CS call that was less enjoyable than a root canal appointment with the dentist, the issue now seems to be fixed for me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Not sure what happened to me but here is my story.

Okay, First a little background. In my house(estate basically) There is pretty much terrible coverage, Let alone a solid 3g connection.

Anyway, The other day i was about to check my email and home, At the time my router was off, So i tried connecting to my thre connection. having turned 2g data off(Speakers go mad sometimes with interference).

I quickly turned it back on, now i was going to check some things on the net as well, So i said i would try a 3g connection for better speed.

now normally i go to carrier and then pick 3g manually but i decided to hit airplane mode on and off. Basically i had no service for like 5 seconds after switching it back on. Then it happened, I had full 3g coverage, Now i immediately taught the coverage was going to drop quickly, But it didn't, suffice to say i have had perfect steady 3g coverage for the last 3 days.

Before i was never able to make a call properly down stairs with the connection being terrible and not being able to hear them without moving the phone higer, Now i haven't had a single connection issue, In fact, I was able to get 4mb download speed from the connection.

Not sure what three did, I did recently update to 4.1 but that was over a week ago. So can't imagine it being that, But you never know.

Btw, This wasn't just three i had the problems with before, Most networks suck around here.

P.S, I have carrier 8.0 and i live in columbanus rd area.

• Advertisement

Day five of the iPhone 4/Three adventure. I got the phone on Thursday. Everything worked fine when using the phone number on the new Three sim. On Sat at lunch time my old O2 number was ported over to Three after a 48 hour wait and all my access disappeared. I had no voice or data coverage at all. Spent about 2 hours over the course of the rest of the day on to tech support. They couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Called into the Three shop where I bought the phone yesterday (Sunday) and the eventually found out that my account had been deactivated by someone in Three after my number had been ported over. I was given a new sim pack and was told that my old O2 number would be applied to the account within 24 hours. Again everything worked fine with the new sim.

This morning my O2 number was applied to the account and now I can only send and receive texts and receive calls. I can't make calls and I have absoultely no data access at all. I went back to the Three store again today. They rang tech support and after an hour of trouble shooting and holding I still can't make calls or access data. My problem has been 'escalated'. Whatever that means.

Anyway my new life as a Three customer has been very eventful and not at all productive. 5 days in I have what really amounts to a very expensive iPod Touch with the ability to receive calls and little else. Be wary if you intend to get an iPhone 4 with Three and port a number to it. I have never had these issues with any other provider. Anyway let's see what the next 48 hours brings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement