Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

my iphone is working perfectly, and switches from 2g to 3g without any issues now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

how do you get 2g? on mine its either 3g or nothing, theres no inbetween.
    also my iphone4 is not automatically reconnecting to a 3g network when ones available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭brianhickey

L5 wrote: »
    how do you get 2g? on mine its either 3g or nothing, theres no inbetween.
    I think you have to turn data roaming on, in Settings-General-Network. 2G data is provided by Vodafone's network.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

I think you have to turn data roaming on, in Settings-General-Network. 2G data is provided by Vodafone's network.

Theres no need to enable data roaming. It will work with it turned off.
    Try resetting the network settings ("Settings"->"General"->"Reset"->"Reset Network Settings"). Note that you will need to re-enter any wifi passwords after doing this.
    If that doesn't work then ring customer care and make sure your account is provisioned for data when roaming on vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Whats the latest carrier settings? 8.0 or 8.1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭seankb

Don't know if this has been posted before but having trouble with me ringing people or people ringing me and they can't hear me(I can hear them perfect). Rang cs and the told me to restore the phone did that it did not work. Rang again he asked me to bring it too the apple store in Belfast (6 hour car journey to bring my phone to them I don't think so) then he said they would replace my phone but I would be without a phone until I got a new one because with the micro sim card I can't even put it in another phone. Then he said he would replace my phone for 30 euro within 48 hours!! I'm not willing to pay to have it fixed and I can't not have a phone as I Need it for my job only had it a month. Anybody else had these problems?? This might seem like a bit of a rant but it's really annoying!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

I had some 3G problems when I moved to 3 initially but recently it's been great - I do lose the signal when I'm on the train (Dublin) but at work (city centre) and at home (Ratoath) it's fine. Just make sure you have your Internet settings to Automatic. My only issue with 3 was them charging for voice mail so I was glad I read this thread and found out about Hullomail :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

With 3 for 5 days and it's hit and miss:rolleyes:
    I wouldnt mind not having 3G all the time but at times I can't make calls coz I only have 1 or 2bars!!! Will make a few phone calls from a few different places tomorrow and if I'm not happy I'll go and return the phone :eek:

Question is how will I live without it :D, don't spend enough to get a €60 quid plan from o2 or vodafone

And the funny thing is I have a 3 data plan for the iPad and it works perfect in places the iPhone 4 doesn't :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Izy wrote: »
    With 3 for 5 days and it's hit and miss:rolleyes:
    I wouldnt mind not having 3G all the time but at times I can't make calls coz I only have 1 or 2bars!!! Will make a few phone calls from a few different places tomorrow and if I'm not happy I'll go and return the phone :eek:

Question is how will I live without it :D, don't spend enough to get a €60 quid plan from o2 or vodafone

And the funny thing is I have a 3 data plan for the iPad and it works perfect in places the iPhone 4 doesn't :eek:

Mines on 1 or 2 bars a lot, and I have only ever had a problem around Dungarvan at the weekend. otherwise hasn't dropped a call yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

still new to all this iphone lark myself...am i right in thinking i should still be able to browse the web when im not in a wifi zone and dont have a "3G" connection?this is whats meant by a 2G connection?

because my phone isnt doing this either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

barryd09 wrote: »
    still new to all this iphone lark myself...am i right in thinking i should still be able to browse the web when im not in a wifi zone and dont have a "3G" connection?this is whats meant by a 2G connection?

because my phone isnt doing this either.

Yes but it will be slow, very slow at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

naasrd wrote: »
    Yes but it will be slow, very slow at times.

understood but still,im paying for it.i still want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

7 days in as new iPhone 4/Three customer. I can only send and receive texts. I can't access internet, can't make calls and can only receive calls when I have 3G coverage. Have just spent another 90 minutes in total onto tech support today where I was passed from one dept to another and repeated the same troubleshooting procedures each time. Finally lost the rag and demanded a new phone and sim pack which I hope to pick up later today. Hope this fixes the issue. I have never had any problems with any other network.

Mooro wrote: »
    7 days in as new iPhone 4/Three customer. I can only send and receive texts. I can't access internet, can't make calls and can only receive calls when I have 3G coverage. Have just spent another 90 minutes in total onto tech support today where I was passed from one dept to another and repeated the same troubleshooting procedures each time. Finally lost the rag and demanded a new phone and sim pack which I hope to pick up later today. Hope this fixes the issue. I have never had any problems with any other network.

i guess i'm lucky then:D

using the phone okay even in areas with one or two bars of 3G...

have time till monday (13th day with 3) if all stays ok I stay with them for the 18 months anyway...;)

One week in of being a Three customer. Got 3rd replacement sim yesterday even though I have told them that it's obviously a problem with the account. I tried this new sim last night. Still can't make calls and have absolutely no data coverage. Can receive calls if I am in a 3G area but can't if I am in 2G. And I can send texts. Has anyone else out there had this problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

One week in of being a Three customer. Got 3rd replacement sim yesterday even though I have told them that it's obviously a problem with the account. I tried this new sim last night. Still can't make calls and have absolutely no data coverage. Can receive calls if I am in a 3G area but can't if I am in 2G. And I can send texts. Has anyone else out there had this problem.

I'd say I've read all near 2000 posts on this thread, and I don't remember anything like. In the first 24 hours of porting sometimes it was a problem, as the services gradually became available, like calls first, then texts, then data. never as bad as your case, though.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I'd say I've read all near 2000 posts on this thread, and I don't remember anything like. In the first 24 hours of porting sometimes it was a problem, as the services gradually became available, like calls first, then texts, then data. never as bad as your case, though.

Apparently it's a known issue when porting from O2. The latest update is that Three are going to cancel my contract and start again with a brand new contract and I'm not going to port over my number from O2. I am going to go with the number I get from Three. My argument is that if it is a known issue why has it taken so long to resolve. Anyway here's hoping this works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Can someone tell me what the latest carrier settings are please?

I have 8.0 but it seems a couple of people may have 8.1. Any reason why I wouldn't be offered this update when I connect to iTunes?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

brophs wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what the latest carrier settings are please?

I have 8.0 but it seems a couple of people may have 8.1. Any reason why I wouldn't be offered this update when I connect to iTunes?

Thanks.

I only got the phone a couple of weeks ago and was offered to update carrier settings when I plugged into iTunes. This was 8.0.

Apparently it's a known issue when porting from O2. The latest update is that Three are going to cancel my contract and start again with a brand new contract and I'm not going to port over my number from O2. I am going to go with the number I get from Three. My argument is that if it is a known issue why has it taken so long to resolve. Anyway here's hoping this works.

i ported from o2, took nearly 2 hours instore, but after that i was able to do everything with the phone!!!

didnt try facetime or mms yet! but was uploading pics and videos to fb and basics like calls and text were grand

• Advertisement

With the amount of posts criticizing 3 here alone, I'd suggest it doesn't sound like a known issue - certainly not in any big way - the way people were jumping ship from O2, you can bet people would have been hollering down the walls here if there was a problem of that magnitude. Compare it to the 3G/2G problem where there were hundreds of posts about it. When I ported over from VF back in May/June it didn't go through for 24 hours, simply because the twat in the shop put through the invoice number from the VF invoice as the account number......:( so sometimes you can be plain unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

I only got the phone a couple of weeks ago and was offered to update carrier settings when I plugged into iTunes. This was 8.0.

Cheers. I guess that must be the most up-to-date one so.

As an aside for people thinking of switching, I ported over to 3 yesterday and my phone was fully switched over within an hour or less.

And the 2g data issue that everyone (including my g/f, which was solved by asking to have our case escalated to Tier 2 Technical Support to solve a 'GPRS provisioning issue') had suffered from doesn't seem to have afflicted me, fingers crossed.

I am switching seamlessly between 3g and 2g and back again without toggling airplane mode or anything like that. I also have access to 2g data.

I am based in Carlow, though I don't know if that makes a difference. Coverage is fantastic. My house used to be a bit of a coverage black spot but I can take/receive calls no problem now.

Very satisfied customer so far.

PS. I was somehow able to order a free case using the iPhone 4 Case Program App, even though it was supposed to have expired last month. I don't really understand why, but I'll take it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Hmmm, Now Three aren't even replying to my emails about GRPS issues... great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I asked 3 for the unlock code for the iphone they said yeah no problem 25e and another 1000e odd for an early termination charge:eek:.
    I told them i was going be staying with them and that i only wanted the phone unlocked so i could sell it and buy another one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Hi guys

Just bought an iPhone 4 with 3 there today and I was setting it up and have discovered I can't hear a thing when I make/receive calls! Don't know if it's an issue with 3 or with the phone? Any advice? Like, it calls and connects but I can't hear anything :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Is the call volume turned up? Did you remove the plastic cover from the front of the phone?

Walkman wrote: »
    Is the call volume turned up? Did you remove the plastic cover from the front of the phone?

I did both those. It's making sounds for everything else but I can't hear a dial tone or anything when someone answers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I did both those. It's making sounds for everything else but I can't hear a dial tone or anything when someone answers...

Make sure bluetooth is turned off and if that doesn't work try plugging in some headphone and then unplugging them.

Still no joy. Rang customer support and they said I've to bring it back :( I only got it today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Walkman wrote: »

it's amazing how many people across the world left this cover on to protect it and only noticed that it was blocking the speaker after they made calls...myself included :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement