Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭pah

whiterebel wrote: »
    Get a prepay sim, stick it in your phone and see how it performs.

irrelevant when it comes to 3G on the iphone4 as far as the gprs and 3g switching problem goes

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

pah wrote: »
    irrelevant when it comes to 3G on the iphone4 as far as the gprs and 3g switching problem goes

Poster asked for good or bad - presumably about signal strength, not the 2G/3G switching problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭pah

whiterebel wrote: »
    Poster asked for good or bad - presumably about signal strength, not the 2G/3G switching problem?

True, but the switching problem is related to signal, and he is specifically talking about an iPhone4. HTC, Nokia etc dont have this problem on the 3 network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭munzab

does 3 have call waiting?on bill pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

Davexirl wrote: »
    Anyone using 3 in Leixlip??? Good or bad???

I am going to be getting the iphone 4 soon and 3's network prices are excellent but just reading good and bad things on this thread about them, I don't know what to do.

I use it mostly in HP campus. Always five bars, full 3g, while meteor have 0 and o2 maximum 2 bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Hey guys,

Anyone have any experience of using an iPhone on the Three network in the Galway County area??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

pah wrote: »
    True, but the switching problem is related to signal, and he is specifically talking about an iPhone4. HTC, Nokia etc dont have this problem on the 3 network

I don't see how it was related to signal. It worked for me after they changed something in the background that also enabled me to get GPRS. Signal has remained the same the whole way through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

munzab wrote: »
    does 3 have call waiting?on bill pay.

Yea on bill and 3pay

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

I have the iPhone 4 aswell.

My phone keeps losing signal. Alot of the time I have that "o" instead of the "3G" symbol, with one barr of signal alot pof the time. I live in Dublin.

When I choose the network manually the "3G" option never works and the other one (3) does, but on low signal.

Another thing, maybe twice a day the phone has the call forwarding logo beside the signal bar etc and I pretty sure calls cant get through when this is here, so I have to go into settings and go into call forwarding, when it refreshes it goes away and indicates it was never on in the first place. Pretty annoying :mad:.

I know people have issues with signal, are they the same symptoms I have? Is it the actual handest or the network?

What did you do to fix this, if it is at all possible??

Thanks guys.

EDIT: I also ported over from o2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

I get that call forwarding thing with my 3GS as well so it must be a network rather than phone thing anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Live4Ever wrote: »

My phone keeps losing signal. Alot of the time I have that "o" instead of the "3G" symbol, with one barr of signal alot pof the time. I live in Dublin.

When I choose the network manually the "3G" option never works and the other one (3) does, but on low signal.

Another thing, maybe twice a day the phone has the call forwarding logo beside the signal bar etc and I pretty sure calls cant get through when this is here, so I have to go into settings and go into call forwarding, when it refreshes it goes away and indicates it was never on in the first place. Pretty annoying :mad:.

I know people have issues with signal, are they the same symptoms I have? Is it the actual handest or the network?

Thanks guys.

I'm a new (one month-ish) customer to Three and they've been faultless so far.

My g/f joined about a month before and she had the no 2g/switching problem. That was sorted by escalating the issue to Tier 2 Technical Support to deal with a gprs provisioning issue.

I got the phone a few weeks later and expected to have the same issue but it worked perfectly (as my g/f's now does). It switches seamlessly and the 2g always kicks in when 3g isn't available. I never have to switch manually.

As for coverage, I travel quite a bit with work and I haven't had any issues with not getting 3g. Occasionally it will drop for a few minutes but it seems that in any sort of towns it stays firm. In Dublin I never seem to drop to 2g other than for a few moments here and there.

In short I don't know why you're having the problems you are, but I'd suggest calling 3's customer support, as it doesn't tally with my experiences while using the iPhone 4 in Dublin.

Also from what I can tell the call forwarding logo seems to be a software bug. It isn't forwarding calls and it goes away once you go into the call forwarding menu. I'd assume they'll sort it for the carrier settings that run with 4.2

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

brophs wrote: »
    I'm a new (one month-ish) customer to Three and they've been faultless so far.

My g/f joined about a month before and she had the no 2g/switching problem. That was sorted by escalating the issue to Tier 2 Technical Support to deal with a gprs provisioning issue.

I got the phone a few weeks later and expected to have the same issue but it worked perfectly (as my g/f's now does). It switches seamlessly and the 2g always kicks in when 3g isn't available. I never have to switch manually.

As for coverage, I travel quite a bit with work and I haven't had any issues with not getting 3g. Occasionally it will drop for a few minutes but it seems that in any sort of towns it stays firm. In Dublin I never seem to drop to 2g other than for a few moments here and there.

In short I don't know why you're having the problems you are, but I'd suggest calling 3's customer support, as it doesn't tally with my experiences while using the iPhone 4 in Dublin.

Also from what I can tell the call forwarding logo seems to be a software bug. It isn't forwarding calls and it goes away once you go into the call forwarding menu. I'd assume they'll sort it for the carrier settings that run with 4.2

Thanks for the help, I PM'd Patrick from 3, so I'll see what happens.

Lucky you :D! It' so annoying trying to manually select networks 10/12 times a day and walking around with my arm in the sky trying to get signal!

In some places in works great, full signal, really fast etc but alot of the time its poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trowel

Live4Ever wrote: »

Thanks guys.

I have this very same problem -
    small 'o' signal instead of 3G (i put on/off airplane mode to correct)
    get call forwarding coming up haphazardly
    i also ported over from o2
    annoying....

trowel wrote: »
    I have this very same problem -
    small 'o' signal instead of 3G (i put on/off airplane mode to correct)
    get call forwarding coming up haphazardly
    i also ported over from o2
    annoying....

Do you have the network selected as 3(G) or 3? Put it to 3(G) if not, and set data Roaming to on. Sometimes it works. It it is switching to GPRS it sounds liek you are most of the way there. In the beginning, it wouldn't do that for a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Right I was all set to go with Three then I read this
    Quackles wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a recent return to the 3 flock.. I had left previously because I was dropping calls continuously, but came back last week to give it another shot, you can't argue with the difference in packages.

However, since coming back, I've once again dropped maybe 4 or 5 calls in a week. It looks to me like it happens when I lose a 3G signal and am bounced to GPRS, which unfortunately happens a fair amount in a) my office and especially b) my home. Is it normal to drop a call when you lose 3g and pick up GPRS? It's an iphone 4 I have.

Thanks, glad to see you here, I always prefer to write things out :)

Is anyone else having this problem or is it sorted when you escalate the problem to tier two support??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Right I was all set to go with Three then I read this

Is anyone else having this problem or is it sorted when you escalate the problem to tier two support??

Have to say I've never had this issue and use the phone in the car quite a bit when I'm sure I've traveled through 3G and non 3G areas

Have to say I've never had this issue and use the phone in the car quite a bit when I'm sure I've traveled through 3G and non 3G areas

Grand thanks for the quick reply.

Grand thanks for the quick reply.

Hi Dave.

My missus has the phone and had the issue when she first bought it. It was solved within a couple of days. I bought the phone a month ago and it worked straight out of the box.

My guess is they've solved it (or at least for the most part) or can solve it if you contact them.

Hi Dave.

My missus has the phone and had the issue when she first bought it. It was solved within a couple of days. I bought the phone a month ago and it worked straight out of the box.

My guess is they've solved it (or at least for the most part) or can solve it if you contact them.

Sounds good thanks, good to read positive stuff about 3, makes me more confident now I'm not making a mistake in joining them and not staying with O2.

Cheers

Quick question...

Has anyone found a cheaper/free way to send texts to international numbers? Three's lack of international webtexts is hurting my bank balance.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Quick question...

Has anyone found a cheaper/free way to send texts to international numbers? Three's lack of international webtexts is hurting my bank balance.:)

Just get a Vodafone prepay -hey presto, 600 extra international webtexts a month. Use Jelly or Eirtext to configure. Keep the 3 webtexts for national SMS, use the voodoo ones for international. You could even put a sig in them "always reply to my 08xxxxxx" if you wanted.

Or, you could use Skype for cheaper SMS, but I prefer free.

culabula wrote: »
    Just get a Vodafone prepay -hey presto, 600 extra international webtexts a month. Use Jelly or Eirtext to configure. Keep the 3 webtexts for national SMS, use the voodoo ones for international. You could even put a sig in them "always reply to my 08xxxxxx" if you wanted.

Or, you could use Skype for cheaper SMS, but I prefer free.

Cheers for the suggestion, cula. I might just do that. The only thing is that if my mates are anything like me they'll invariably reply to the number it was sent from rather than the number in the sig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Cheers for the suggestion, cula. I might just do that. The only thing is that if my mates are anything like me they'll invariably reply to the number it was sent from rather than the number in the sig.

Well, put the Voodoo SIM in an old unlocked handset. Or buy a really cheap basic unlocked Nokia for same. 10€ for 7,200 international SMS a year is worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Already posted this in online discount thread, mods please move if not appropriate here....

For anyone who is moving to three, register with bethrifty.ie and you can get €32 cashback ( i think! ) on iphones and smart phones with contract, also cashback on prepay and broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

gleep wrote: »
    Already posted this in online discount thread, mods please move if not appropriate here....

For anyone who is moving to three, register with bethrifty.ie and you can get €32 cashback ( i think! ) on iphones and smart phones with contract, also cashback on prepay and broadband.

Be carefull with offers like that, 3 are offering up to 100 euro cash back on your bill and a free ipod shuffle online and instore, usually when you accept a different offer you won't get the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Be carefull with offers like that, 3 are offering up to 100 euro cash back on your bill and a free ipod shuffle online and instore, usually when you accept a different offer you won't get the other one.

I'd be surprised tbh, be thrifty really have nothing to do with three, they're just advertisers who give back commission, it's not a three offer if you know what i mean? I've used be thrifty on hotrls.com and it hasnt effected special offers they had, should be the same here, worth checking though before you buy! Would be nice to get both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Log-on

Hi

Im with 3 and have an iphone 4 on an 18 month contract, i was told by three that i can downgrade after 6 months, I saw they have new 24 month contracts and my mom is thinking of going with them, Do you know if you can downgrade after 6 months on this contract also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

You can't downgrade until 12 months on a 18 month contract and 18 months on a 24 month contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭brianhickey

Good read here for all iPhone owners on Three:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056101528

Be wary of Three sending you to Fonemenders seems to be the lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

Due to the 2G/3G switching issue I was advised to go to Fonemenders which I did.I was told In the GPO I would have to leave my phone with them, left with my phone. I was called by Tier 2 CS about the issue only to be told that the switching issue was a handset problem and there was nothing they could do. From following this thread it appears that many had the same switching issue and it was resolved by Tier 2 CS. Can any of you tell me if this is the case? I didn't believe the CS rep and told him so but he was insistent there was nothing that could be done. If that is the case then why are 3 selling a phone that they know to be incompatible with their network.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement