Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The Orb wrote: »
    Due to the 2G/3G switching issue I was advised to go to Fonemenders which I did.I was told In the GPO I would have to leave my phone with them, left with my phone. I was called by Tier 2 CS about the issue only to be told that the switching issue was a handset problem and there was nothing they could do. From following this thread it appears that many had the same switching issue and it was resolved by Tier 2 CS. Can any of you tell me if this is the case? I didn't believe the CS rep and told him so but he was insistent there was nothing that could be done. If that is the case then why are 3 selling a phone that they know to be incompatible with their network.

It is their network. I had the problem on a 3G and a 4. I got hold of Tier 2 iPhone support and they had it fixed within a week. Three would really want to start getting their act together with sales, CS and Support if they want to actually hold on to any business, rather than get it and lose it within 14 days. They way they are carrying on, people will never go back to them due to their terrible experiences some are getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Due to the 2G/3G switching issue I was advised to go to Fonemenders which I did.I was told In the GPO I would have to leave my phone with them, left with my phone. I was called by Tier 2 CS about the issue only to be told that the switching issue was a handset problem and there was nothing they could do. From following this thread it appears that many had the same switching issue and it was resolved by Tier 2 CS. Can any of you tell me if this is the case? I didn't believe the CS rep and told him so but he was insistent there was nothing that could be done. If that is the case then why are 3 selling a phone that they know to be incompatible with their network.

Do you know there is a new forum on here which 3 have set up. It is in Biz/talk too/ 3. They have a CS rep answering questions. He is only on a couple of times a week but seems yo be resolving issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭pah

Exact same as you, have been told by three that it is a handset problem even though i know it can be fixed as many others have testified to on this thread.

CS refused to listen to me & told me there is no tier 2 support and that the "advice" he gave me (reset settings, blah blah blah) is the only thing they can do.

I have been on to Patrick in the three forum as andyeire suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Same issue on three.

Telephones works well 99.9% of the time.

However, very often the 3g data network is frustratingly slow, and loses signal regularly. I keep resetting my phone by putting it into airplane mode and then back... which restores it for a while.

I was told to bring my phone to PhoneMenders too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

Thanks Guys, I know many others have said that the switching problem had been fixed by 3 Tier 2 CS hence my disbelief when told it was handset issue. I know they have their own "Talk to 3" forum on Boards but I wanted to get a condensed set of replies as evidence that it is not a handset issue before I present it to Patrick for his comments. Three have moved Tier 2 to Mumbai and it appears have instructed their staff to deny the switching issue, brazenly. This is a Comreg issue at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thanks Guys, I know many others have said that the switching problem had been fixed by 3 Tier 2 CS hence my disbelief when told it was handset issue. I know they have their own "Talk to 3" forum on Boards but I wanted to get a condensed set of replies as evidence that it is not a handset issue before I present it to Patrick for his comments. Three have moved Tier 2 to Mumbai and it appears have instructed their staff to deny the switching issue, brazenly. This is a Comreg issue at this stage.

Fixed for me through the Network. I never handed in the handset for repair. I would let a wild, menopausal baboon loose with an iPhone 4 before I would let Fone"menders" near it........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Strangest thing ever; can't get 3G reception on the way to work between around 8 and 8.40am in the morning but if I'm going either earlier or later it's no problem on the same route :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Jev/N wrote: »
    Strangest thing ever; can't get 3G reception on the way to work between around 8 and 8.40am in the morning but if I'm going either earlier or later it's no problem on the same route :confused:

Not unusual at all. This is called "cell breathing". What it means is that the cell is probably far away from the area where you see this issue. If there are few phones connected the cell covers a larger area and you get 3G reception. During rush hour when there are many phones using this cell the cell "contracts" and covers a smaller area so you get no 3G signal.

http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/definition/cell-breathing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Been having this problem the last week or so, The 3G signal is just not holding. Its really frustrating! Iv not had any problems so far with them. So am I right its a 3 Network problem? I'll be ringing 3 tomorrow, what should i be expecting? Any course of action I should take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Zhane you should ring 3 and cancel as theyv said to
    Me they can't fix it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Seriously considering moving to 3 after O2 increased their prices and dropped data allowance from 2Gb to 500Mb.

Anyone using 3 in Ballincollig/Bishopstown area?

Yup, changed recently myself. In Ballincollig the reception in the Oriel House was dismal. But then I think that place is a phone blocker.

I'm too new to 3 to say for certain and I was never happy with o2's 3G coverage, but I'm definitely getting better speeds where available.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Armedocr

I've no problems with the 3g in a few months after they sorted it out for me but I've never been able to send mms. I've everything enabled and I've been searching threads here for a while. One thing I can't do is access apn settings so I honestly can't even tell you what they are.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I've read most of this thread and i have a simple question.:)

Would you recommend getting the iphone 4 on 3?

(I have a 3gs with 02 and its grand, but gf wants to get a 4 for xmas and its much cheaper on 3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buzzymam

I've read most of this thread and i have a simple question.:)

(I have a 3gs with 02 and its grand, but gf wants to get a 4 for xmas and its much cheaper on 3)

Got my iPhone 4 from 3 in august and I'm very happy with everything. 3G coverage in my home is poor with all networks but I just use my bband Wi fi at home. I'd say go for it.

Time will only tell. I was not too happy with O2 and my iPhone 3G, we know the iPhone range has problems and the iPhone 4 is no exception to these forced designs by Apple.

In short, all iPhones should have an external antenna ~ Jobbs absolutely rejects this as it 'spoils' the design. Normally, form follows function, with Apple the design principal is paramount.

Therefore, the iPhone is actually a weak instrument and it will show up network faults where other phones won't. That said, my iPhone 4 on 3 has recorded the highest transfer rates and cell propagation and has an overall higher score than I had on my 3G/O2 with both home WiFi & 3G service.

How much this improvement is due to the phone is an unknown element. Field test show me on 114 with two bars, that's poor and seemingly contradicts the Speedtest.net and Pingtest.net

I've moved from the iP3G to the iP4 so the jump is a big one for me ~ I'm glad I did and it remains to be seen how well 3 step up to supporting the iPhone with all it's quirks.

And right now, if you want an IPhone, 3 are the only ones with stock [at time of post]! :)

gbee wrote: »
    Time will only tell. I was not too happy with O2 and my iPhone 3G, we know the iPhone range has problems and the iPhone 4 is no exception to these forced designs by Apple.

In short, all iPhones should have an external antenna ~ Jobbs absolutely rejects this as it 'spoils' the design. Normally, form follows function, with Apple the design principal is paramount.

Therefore, the iPhone is actually a weak instrument and it will show up network faults where other phones won't. That said, my iPhone 4 on 3 has recorded the highest transfer rates and cell propagation and has an overall higher score than I had on my 3G/O2 with both home WiFi & 3G service.

How much this improvement is due to the phone is an unknown element. Field test show me on 114 with two bars, that's poor and seemingly contradicts the Speedtest.net and Pingtest.net

I've moved from the iP3G to the iP4 so the jump is a big one for me ~ I'm glad I did and it remains to be seen how well 3 step up to supporting the iPhone with all it's quirks.

And right now, if you want an IPhone, 3 are the only ones with stock [at time of post]! :)

You are kidding, right? What next go back to sundials? Network issues seem to be mostly in the US were AT&T have been roundly criticized since the beginning. I haven't had an issue with signal or dropped calls in the time I 've had 3G and iP4. 3's "support" seems to be going rapidly downhill, and if I was buying now I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole.

Don't do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

go for it...love the iphone and it's my first real smartphone.
    It was an easy decision for me as I had one item for satnav (Nokia N97), a nano for my nike+ in the gym and an itouch for watching movies when I was abroad.
    Now with the iphone I have a 3 in 1 device and I love it..

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭serious

Don't do it

Hey ComeraghBlue.I have been watching your threads with interest as I am in a similar position. Did you get a resolution in the end or did you have to cancel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG i just came across this thread - i'm just after purchasing an iphone 4 (last night)with three but now after seeing this thread i'm thinking i may have made a big mistake! Can you actually get out of a contract if you don't get proper coverage/connection??

Anybody here who has an iphone 4 with three in Cork City? Can you tell me what the service is like?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    OMG i just came across this thread - i'm just after purchasing an iphone 4 (last night)with three but now after seeing this thread i'm thinking i may have made a big mistake! Can you actually get out of a contract if you don't get proper coverage/connection??

Anybody here who has an iphone 4 with three in Cork City? Can you tell me what the service is like?

Thanks!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1367

Thanks!

I've been in around Cork City a fair bit and it has ben fine. The only place it has ever dropped signal on me is just outside Dungarvan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Thanks!

Why don't you just use it and test the service for yourself?

Anybody here who has an iphone 4 with three in Cork City? Can you tell me what the service is like? Thanks!

I made a more detailed reply in another thread: Basically from my 3G/4.2/O2 to 4/4.2/3 I am getting faster 3G and WiFi performances based on Speedtest & Pingtest.

However my field tests are poor.

Ongoing study no real conclusions but my early prognosis is were 3 are good they are better, but where they are bad they are worse.

As with all things iPhone ~ it's a not a good phone and you do need aggressive provision support. AT&T in the US did not service it well, O2.ie did not service it well ~ 3.ie?

On a side note just to say it's not ALL a carriers fault, I can't get MobileMe and Outlook's calendars to work ~ both are blaming the other [ie they are probably BOTH equally wrong].

Other callers have been saying that I am very clear and strong. So that's encouraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Thanks!

I was on 3 when it launched end of July. Got rid of it after 3 weeks - the service in Cork City centre was sh*te awful - not just data but also very poor phone coverage indoors in the middle of the city - i'm talking about Washington Street. Switched to o2 not a single problem inside or outside but more expensive. Not sure how 3 are now - this was 3 months ago. You will have no problem exiting your contract if there still sh*te if you're within i think 14 days? I did have problems exiting the contract but this was because i was on day 21 but i persisted and did get it cancelled

serious wrote: »
    Hey ComeraghBlue.I have been watching your threads with interest as I am in a similar position. Did you get a resolution in the end or did you have to cancel?

Spoke to a team leader Friday and we came to a agreement that if 3 downgrade my contract from €60 pm to €40 pm then I'll stay , he agreed that i wasn't asking for much and it'd obviously be better to stay to but had To get the ok from the head office/boss and I should get answer today(Monday) if I can't get the contract changed I'll cancel . I'll let ye know of the outcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

corklad32 wrote: »
    I was on 3 when it launched end of July. Got rid of it after 3 weeks - the service in Cork City centre was sh*te awful - not just data but also very poor phone coverage indoors in the middle of the city - i'm talking about Washington Street. Switched to o2 not a single problem inside or outside but more expensive. Not sure how 3 are now - this was 3 months ago. You will have no problem exiting your contract if there still sh*te if you're within i think 14 days? I did have problems exiting the contract but this was because i was on day 21 but i persisted and did get it cancelled

Thanks for that - i guess i should have checked all this before i actually signed a contract and bought the phone!! The phone came today so i'm excited to try it out - hopefully i won't have the same problems you had!! If it's god awful i'm getting out of it asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knealecat

Hello

I have a IPAD 32mb 3GS, does anyboby know the best roaming rates for using in the UK.

Spoke to a team leader Friday and we came to a agreement that if 3 downgrade my contract from €60 pm to €40 pm then I'll stay , he agreed that i wasn't asking for much and it'd obviously be better to stay to but had To get the ok from the head office/boss and I should get answer today(Monday) if I can't get the contract changed I'll cancel . I'll let ye know of the outcome

Thanks for that.Ye I'm hoping to get sorted this week, if not I will insist on a cancellation even though it is a month.No point being with a network that doesn't work at any price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

knealecat wrote: »
    Hello

I have a IPAD 32mb 3GS, does anyboby know the best roaming rates for using in the UK.

If your on 3 (and I presume you are) there'll be no roaming charges provided your using the 3UK network

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement