Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

jenko1 wrote: »
    I have just bought my first iphone ever and it is of course the iphone 4. I have been holding off for months as i was debating was it worth buying. Well my answer is absolutely flipping yes. I am based in Ireland and I wanted to make sure I was signing up with the right network. I did my homework and finally went with the 'Three network'. They offered the iphone 4 for €309 on an 18month contract. I will be paying €40 a month for 350 minutes talk time or 700 minutes text time, with a free add on of 150 minutes for evening and weekend calls which brings it up to 500 minutes. I also get 2gb of data allowance a month. I have also signed up for broadband with them as I got a €6 discount a month for the iphone contract. This plan suits me and I know it might not suit others. As far as is the iphone 4 worth buying now well my answer would be a 100% yes. If it suits your needs go for it, it is an amazing piece of technology. I can keep up to date on important emails, take photos of for work and family with out bringing my SLR camera, sending messages browsing the net even playing games. It is just an amazing all in one gizmo. I am sure the next phone will be better and I will have to wait until the following year to upgrade to the next iphone (probably 6 by then) but why wait? You might be waiting another 6 months before the next upgrade, if you need it now get it if not hang on it all depends on your own your own personal needs. I am happy with my new iphone 4 and wish I had purchased it earlier. It just works as for the whole antenna thing what a load of rubbish. I have not had any issues, in fact in areas where I live that are known to be mobile reception black spots my iphone 4 just works no problems. I use a protection cover on the phone and bumper as I want to protect it from damage. It works so just get it and enjoy.

Welcome to my world!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭iancairns

Hi Guys,

I've had the iphone4 since the launch date, and was the only one of my friends to do so. First thing i noticed in my house was the IP4's wifi wasn't as good as the 3GS. In my Tv room where on my 3GS i'd pick up 2 bars wifi signal, i got nothing with my Iphone4.
    I googled to see if others had this issue at the time and didn't find anything similar to me. Since then i checked again and found a thread where people were raving saying how much better picking up wifi is on IP4 than 3GS. All were happy bar a couple of guys who found out it to be a hardware issue.
    The went to a genius bar at an apple store. Once the store realised it was a hardware issue they swapped him out and gave him a new one. Only problem is what do we do here as we have no apple store where we can get our phones checked?

What do you guys reckon is the best plan of action for me to take on this? Has anyone else had issues like this. The 2 rooms i probably use my phone most have shocking 3G reception so could really use getting this wifi issue sorted out!

ALSO...

2 of my mates got new iphones this week and i did a test in my house on picking up wifi signal with all 3 phones beside each other, they BOTH picked up signal the same but mine was zilch! There is definitely a fault with my phone now after trying this, i'm annoyed a didn't mention it sooner.

Thanks for your time guys

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

iancairns wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've had the iphone4 since the launch date, and was the only one of my friends to do so. First thing i noticed in my house was the IP4's wifi wasn't as good as the 3GS. In my Tv room where on my 3GS i'd pick up 2 bars wifi signal, i got nothing with my Iphone4.
    I googled to see if others had this issue at the time and didn't find anything similar to me. Since then i checked again and found a thread where people were raving saying how much better picking up wifi is on IP4 than 3GS. All were happy bar a couple of guys who found out it to be a hardware issue.
    The went to a genius bar at an apple store. Once the store realised it was a hardware issue they swapped him out and gave him a new one. Only problem is what do we do here as we have no apple store where we can get our phones checked?

What do you guys reckon is the best plan of action for me to take on this? Has anyone else had issues like this. The 2 rooms i probably use my phone most have shocking 3G reception so could really use getting this wifi issue sorted out!

ALSO...

2 of my mates got new iphones this week and i did a test in my house on picking up wifi signal with all 3 phones beside each other, they BOTH picked up signal the same but mine was zilch! There is definitely a fault with my phone now after trying this, i'm annoyed a didn't mention it sooner.

Thanks for your time guys

Ian

Try going back to the shop and talking to their tech guy, if they have one. Alternatively, get the shop to contact the tech dept of the service provider when you're there and see if the symptoms show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Goto phonemenders in dublin or the place in sandyford thats what three customer service told me to do. If theres a problem with the phone you'll get a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I am sure I read that compuB in pavilion's will have a genius bar.

• Advertisement

keith123 wrote: »
    Goto phonemenders in dublin or the place in sandyford thats what three customer service told me to do. If theres a problem with the phone you'll get a new one.

Thanks for heads up. Also, i'm running a jailbroken phone. Is it best to restore it to factory settings before going in?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thanks for heads up. Also, i'm running a jailbroken phone. Is it best to restore it to factory settings before going in?

Don't let them open up your phone - they are not authorised to do so by Apple, no matter what 3 tell you.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Don't let them open up your phone - they are not authorised to do so by Apple, no matter what 3 tell you.

Would they not get a little pissy with me if I went in and told them they're not authorised to open my phone. They'd probably just send me on somewhere else? Should I restore my phone to factory settings also? I figured all they'd need is another iPhone to compare the wifi range cuz there is a noticeable difference! Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Would they not get a little pissy with me if I went in and told them they're not authorised to open my phone. They'd probably just send me on somewhere else? Should I restore my phone to factory settings also? I figured all they'd need is another iPhone to compare the wifi range cuz there is a noticeable difference! Thanks

Who cares if they get pissy with you? Its your phone, and they are not authorised to open it. If I were you, I'd send it back to Apple using the facility on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 BeefJerkyX

Hi all,
    Quick question that I'm sure is buried somewhere in this thread but I can't quite find it. While thinking of getting an iPhone 4, I was Googling 3 mobile and came across a website that said their internet access was "being at work" with restrictions on sites accessible. Is there any truth to this or is it just wrong (or out of date)?

Prices on 3 mobile seem great so I'm thinking of going for it but must admit this thread isn't the most encouraging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Obaraten wrote: »
    Guys just another skype related question how do ye find it whilst making calls etc through it?

No prob. I used it lots in the states to save roaming charges. I use it here too for int calls. Works fine on Ip4

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭butrasgali

i have bought a few apps this week gone,,all i have on my iphone screen is a grey blank apps box with waiting underneath...how do i get rid of these or get the apps working

cheers

butrasgali wrote: »
    i have bought a few apps this week gone,,all i have on my iphone screen is a grey blank apps box with waiting underneath...how do i get rid of these or get the apps working

cheers

Try turning phone off and on again in an area with good wifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Has anyone here teethered their iPhone on Three. I just did it there. The speed seems reasonable but will it result in a really high phone bill? I am sticking to basic surfing i.e. no videos?

silvine wrote: »
    Has anyone here teethered their iPhone on Three. I just did it there. The speed seems reasonable but will it result in a really high phone bill? I am sticking to basic surfing i.e. no videos?

Keep an eye on your usage on the 3 website. I've got great use out of the tethering. I gave back the dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭a1000pigeons

Agree, keep an eye on your usage and you should be fine. I've found it useful a few times, for example in library in college before Christmas. With so many people studying for exams the network became jammed so I plugged in my phone and had hassle free Internet for the day while many others didn't. Has saved me more than once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I'm starting to get depressed. Basically, I can't use my phone within the radius of my house. It's a complete balls.

I tried getting help, but it was in vain. The response was along the lines of:
    "Oh, Sorry... it appears that your house / row of houses happens to be in the only red spot on our coverage map. How unfortunate.... nothing we can do, we don't guarantee coverage within a house.... Maybe you should move house? No? Okay, fck off then"

Does anyone know any way of getting out of a three contract? Any way at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

I see skype is free on Three, just got my Iphone 4 on Saturday and enjoying it.

SO re skpye. It says skype to skype is free. But does that still use your data??

NickDrake wrote: »

SO re skpye. It says skype to skype is free. But does that still use your data??

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

NickDrake wrote: »

Three say that because Skype-to-Skype IS free on all their other handsets whose branded firmware in reality dials a UK number when you use Skype, does NOT use your data and does NOT cost you anything.

Since then Three have now introduced iPhone to their range and while the phone is locked to Three, they can't quite tailor it to use the same system. So instead Skype on 3 uses data to place calls and remains free. I'm certain it actually impacts on your data allowance but would be blissfully happy to be wrong.

nightster1 wrote: »
    No prob. I used it lots in the states to save roaming charges. I use it here too for int calls. Works fine on Ip4

And now there's Viber: even better voice quality.

silvine wrote: »

Unlikely, if you have a decent data bundle (2Gb or 2Gb plus the freebie = 4Gb)
    As advised, keep an eye on your usage via my 3 or the app 'Dataman', but I wouldn't fret too much. I'm a heavy user and it's hard to use more than 1 out of 4Gb each month, without resorting to RTÉ Player to use some up.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

culabula wrote: »
    Unlikely, if you have a decent data bundle (2Gb or 2Gb plus the freebie = 4Gb)
    As advised, keep an eye on your usage via my 3 or the app 'Dataman', but I wouldn't fret too much. I'm a heavy user and it's hard to use more than 1 out of 4Gb each month, without resorting to RTÉ Player to use some up.

what is this freebie you speak of?

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    what is this freebie you speak of?

All 3 smartphone tariffs offer a range of freebies: one is an extra 2Gb of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sparkplug

jimbling wrote: »
    I'm starting to get depressed. Basically, I can't use my phone within the radius of my house. It's a complete balls.

"Oh, Sorry... it appears that your house / row of houses happens to be in the only red spot on our coverage map. How unfortunate.... nothing we can do, we don't guarantee coverage within a house.... Maybe you should move house? No? Okay, fck off then"

I had the same problem with 3 and no coverage at home, it took a while but I kept calling getting nowhere. They kept insisting it was the iPhone & not the signal, got me to upgrade this and that then eventually said there was only marginal to poor signal in my area (despite being told before moving to 3 that there was 'excellent' signal!!!!) anyway ring them explain you have no coverage and that if they don't allow you out of your contract without a penalty today you will be contacting the Communications Regulator in relation to the matter. This got them moving for me, they cancelled my contract took 30 days though and I didn't have to pay the remainder of my contract or any penalty. If you have any problems do contact The Communications Regulator, (google their site) they will raise the issue with 3 directly. They cannot take money from you for a product or service which does not fulfill the purpose for which it was sold!!
    good luck.......ps be prepared to be put on hold for ages!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭serious

jimbling wrote: »

Try this dedicated board for 3. Sent Patrick a PM he might speed things up. Be aggressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

I am sorry to hear about your coverage problems with 3. In general, they do provide excellent coverage on both their own 3G network, which is the biggest in Ireland, as well as Vodafone's network. If you cannot use your phone at home, that means your home has no coverage from either 3 Ireland or Vodafone.

If that is the case, and they will not cancel your contract, I would immediately contact your bank to cancel the direct debit and follow up with Comreg. They cannot charge you for a service that does not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Hey, quick question...

Does 3 unlock their iPhones if you ask them? If you buy an iPhone 4 locked to three, will they unlock it through iTunes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Hey, quick question...

Does 3 unlock their iPhones if you ask them? If you buy an iPhone 4 locked to three, will they unlock it through iTunes?

Yes and yes. However, if you want it to be unlocked before your 18 month contract expires, you will need to pay them a €25 admin fee.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement