Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thanks Matt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    Yes and yes. However, if you want it to be unlocked before your 18 month contract expires, you will need to pay them a €25 admin fee.
    And it's also worth noting that you'll have to prepay the remaining balance on your contract too which will then be used as credit for your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Steveirl2010

whiterebel wrote: »
    Yes.

it doesnt use your data if your using your iphone off your broadband connection at home ?

Guys, another question,

Can I buy a micro sim "pay as you go" from 3 for an iPhone 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sparkplug

Cyber Ghost

yep they do got one yesterday pay as you go....waiting over 24hrs now for them to activate it....GRrrrrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

As my time goes on with my iP4/4.2/3 device, service is proving very patchy ~ not good for iPhone map and apps that track like altitude, tides, star maps.

I just spoke with 3, regarding unlocking the iPhone and one person told me it was not possible since the iPhone isn't registered on my name and the other told me to pay 981 euro...

What gives?

Could I create an account and put the iPhone on my name?

CyberGhost wrote: »
    I just spoke with 3, regarding unlocking the iPhone and one person told me it was not possible since the iPhone isn't registered on my name and the other told me to pay 981 euro...

What gives?

Could I create an account and put the iPhone on my name?

If it's not in your name you don't own the phone. You're only part way through your contract, so you need to pay the balance in full upfront to get out.

gbee wrote: »
    If it's not in your name you don't own the phone. You're only part way through your contract, so you need to pay the balance in full upfront to get out.

Oh man...

So am I stuck with three? Is there no chance to unlock it?

If I ask the original owner to call, will they unlock it?

Oh man...

If it's out of contract, and the original owner called then there should be no real issue, obviously I can't speak for 3, but it should really have been unlocked before it was sold to you.

You'd need to check the jail breaking and unlocking forums for detailed info on your exact phone and firmware and baseline. Some can be unlocked some cannot, but this changes and I was personally unsuccessful with my own attempts.

• Advertisement

If it's out of contract, and the original owner called then there should be no real issue, obviously I can't speak for 3, but it should really have been unlocked before it was sold to you.

You'd need to check the jail breaking and unlocking forums for detailed info on your exact phone and firmware and baseline. Some can be unlocked some cannot, but this changes and I was personally unsuccessful with my own attempts.

The owner told me that it was an unwanted upgrade, so I'm not sure whether it's out of contracts or what's up with it.

Thanks gbee!

The owner told me that it was an unwanted upgrade, so I'm not sure whether it's out of contracts or what's up with it.

Thanks gbee!

OH My! I don't know how one can get an unwanted upgrade. Upgrades come with new contracts, now typically 24 months.

It's sounding to me like the original owner still owns the phone and you are paying the bills and using the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Thanks gbee!

If it is an iPhone 4 then it simply isn't possible that it's out of contract at this stage.

However, you aren't paying the bills -he is. You have his phone for whatever you paid him for it.

Best scenario? Get a 3 smartphone SIM-only rolling contract at only 30€ a month and enjoy all the iphone 4 has to offer. Walk away at any time.

OH My! I don't know how one can get an unwanted upgrade. Upgrades come with new contracts, now typically 24 months.

It's sounding to me like the original owner still owns the phone and you are paying the bills and using the phone.

..... Could you please advise what should I do?

I talked to the original owner that sold me the phone(brand new, wrapped), the phone is on his wife's name and I talked to three, they told me they'll need an owner to call for an unlock, but if it's still in contracts, will they unlock? I'm kinda lost here.

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    Yes and yes. However, if you want it to be unlocked before your 18 month contract expires, you will need to pay them a €25 admin fee.

This is not the case, sorry. It was for about 3 weeks last August.

Guys, another question,

Can I buy a micro sim "pay as you go" from 3 for an iPhone 4?

Yes.

culabula wrote: »
    This is not the case, sorry. It was for about 3 weeks last August.

So what's the case now?

I talked to the original owner that sold me the phone(brand new, wrapped), the phone is on his wife's name and I talked to three, they told me they'll need an owner to call for an unlock, but if it's still in contracts, will they unlock? I'm kinda lost here.

Can you give me a ballpark figure of what YOU paid him/her for it, if you don't mind?

My advice is to get either 3Pay SIM or a rolling contract SIM @ 30€ a month to enjoy iPhone at its best. What's wrong with 3?

So what's the case now?

The case is as you have already been advised: this handset is still in contract, you will have to pay the balance of the contract upfront PLUS the 25€ unlocking fee. In other words you will have paid this person for the handset and now you're going to pay their bill off for the next 12 months at least if not 18. While they will love you, it's not a clever strategy.

If you haven't paid too much for the handset then you're quids in and, in my opinion, a lucky fellow. You now have the option of getting a 3Pay/Smartphone SIM-only contract with 3.

• Advertisement

Can you give me a ballpark figure of what YOU paid him/her for it, if you don't mind?

My advice is to get either 3Pay SIM or a rolling contract SIM @ 30€ a month to enjoy iPhone at its best. What's wrong with 3?

I would get it but I want to "own" this phone and if I travel somewhere, I'd like to use a local sim, if I get a contract SIM @ 30, will I eventually be able to unlock this phone?

I would get it but I want to "own" this phone and if I travel somewhere, I'd like to use a local sim, if I get a contract SIM @ 30, will I eventually be able to unlock this phone?

Oh sweet Jesus, I feel your pain.....500 is outrageous for a locked phone. Can you get it back? That is simply not on. I'm afraid they saw you coming.

You cannot get it unlocked @ 25€ until THEIR contract is up. Getting a (rolling) contract of your own will not impact in any way on the ownership of that handset. It will simply allow you to use it in the meantime.

Oh sweet Jesus, I feel your pain.....500 is outrageous for a locked phone. Can you get it back? That is simply not on. I'm afraid they saw you coming.

You cannot get it unlocked @ 25€ until THEIR contract is up. Getting a (rolling) contract of your own will not impact in any way on the ownership of that handset. It will simply allow you to use it in the meantime.

wow, that's really bad, I can't blame the seller cause he did note that the phone is locked to three, I thought, it'd be real easy like with O2.

So I guess the best option would be to try and resell it...

Thanks Culabula!

If the damage is done and you're stuck with it, then really the 30€ *rolling* contract is the only way to go. Stay in touch with those sweet people and insist that they pay for the unlocking at the end of their contract and also find out just how long it has to run.

For the 30€ you get 350 units, unlimited 3-3 calls, calls to UK included, the ability to use the phone in 7 other territories around the world without penalty plus as much as 4Gb data a month.

If you decide only to travel/holiday in DK, SE, I, A, AUS, HK and UK then you'll come out on top :-)

wow, that's really bad, I can't blame the seller cause he did note that the phone is locked to three, I thought, it'd be real easy like with O2.

So I guess the best option would be to try and resell it...

Thanks Culabula!

Honestly, it would be the same situation with O2: it isn't yours to unlock and it would still be under contract.

I DO blame the seller. He/She probably got a cheap/free upgrade and made 400-500€ and something that they haven't yet paid for and which is almost the same price as a new/unlocked handset from apple.com

Good luck reselling it: you'll have to take a hit and be lucky enough to find someone on 3(pay) who wants a locked iPhone. I don't mean to be mean, but that's the reality.

it doesnt use your data if your using your iphone off your broadband connection at home ?

No.

sparkplug wrote: »
    Cyber Ghost

yep they do got one yesterday pay as you go....waiting over 24hrs now for them to activate it....GRrrrrrrr

That's unusual, mine are usually live by the time I hit the shop exit.

Honestly, it would be the same situation with O2: it isn't yours to unlock and it would still be under contract.

I DO blame the seller. He/She probably got a cheap/free upgrade and made 400-500€ and something that they haven't yet paid for and which is almost the same price as a new/unlocked handset from apple.com

Good luck reselling it: you'll have to take a hit and be lucky enough to find someone on 3(pay) who wants a locked iPhone. I don't mean to be mean, but that's the reality.

Ouch, well thanks a lot for the advices Culabula!

Oh man...

The original owner needs to give the 500€ they took off you to 3 -that's who it belongs to, in actual fact. Then they could try getting it unlocked on your behalf. However, given the sum 3 quoted you, I feel it's on a 24 month contract.

Best to a) sell, if you can or b) deal with it and get a 3 smartphone rolling contract @ 30€.

• Advertisement

Ouch, well thanks a lot for the advices Culabula!

In addition to all the advantages I posted above, your 30€ would also get you access to Bitbuzz wifi free of charge all over Ireland and in the UK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement