Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Thinking of getting an Iphone4 through 3. They seem to have the best tariff. Anyone any tips on them?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Thinking of getting an Iphone4 through 3. They seem to have the best tariff. Anyone any tips on them? Thanks

The iP4 on 3 is essentially free, either free outright or after a deposit T&Cs apply.

The phone is great. 3's support is not and their service is patchy. I've recorded the fastest and the slowest of all with them, it's that extreme.

Do check that you will be predominantly in their good areas, service does drop off suddenly, IMO not recommended for the traveller who wants to explore Ireland and avail of all the iPhone's toys.

IMO, their indoor shade on the map is the only one acceptable, their outdoor service is not as strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

gbee wrote: »
    The iP4 on 3 is essentially free, either free outright or after a deposit T&Cs apply.

The phone is great. 3's support is not and their service is patchy. I've recorded the fastest and the slowest of all with them, it's that extreme.

Do check that you will be predominantly in their good areas, service does drop off suddenly, IMO not recommended for the traveller who wants to explore Ireland and avail of all the iPhone's toys.

IMO, their indoor shade on the map is the only one acceptable, their outdoor service is not as strong.

Thanks for that. So do you think I would be better off getting the 3gs?

Thanks for that. So do you think I would be better off getting the 3gs?

Wouldn't think so, the iP4 is technically better, but the rumour is the iP5 has a better antenna, most of iP's problems are the forced design concepts which needs far more robust service from telecoms ~

The antenna on the iP4 is better than on the 3Gs but as you know the iP4 can suffer from grounding across the base if used without a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Hey, quick question...

Does 3 unlock their iPhones if you ask them? If you buy an iPhone 4 locked to three, will they unlock it through iTunes?

I rang 3 customer service and just wanted my phone unlocked. I don't want to leave 3, I just wanted the phone unlocked as my friend on meteor wanted to try it. I was told that Iwill have to pay the balance of the contract upfront PLUS the 25€ unlocking fee.

Anyone know any way around this?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

nightster1 wrote: »
    I rang 3 customer service and just wanted my phone unlocked. I don't want to leave 3, I just wanted the phone unlocked as my friend on meteor wanted to try it. I was told that Iwill have to pay the balance of the contract upfront PLUS the 25€ unlocking fee.

Anyone know any way around this?:confused:

No. They don't unlock phones on request, only for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

What do people think of 3 payg, in sick of waiting for vodafone to get the iPhone back in stock !

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

Hi - Thinking of getting iphone 4 on 3. Lots of stories of bad signal strength / coverage etc.

Anyone on here with iphone on 3 - in the Dublin 16 area Knocklyon/Firhouse - is it as bad as suggested or overstated

thanks

DFS

For reception guidance look at their map and consider their "indoor" reception as the ONLY reception you'll get ~ as a rough guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

i have no probs at all with 3 signal or 3g i rarely dont have it but my main prob is customer service i cant stand it i think there rude and unhelpful and dont have a clue ive been hung up on twice and spoken to like im an idoit all i wanted was to ask a few questions about my bill does any one no if theres a complaint department to complain about the customer service! ? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

sophie1234 wrote: »
    i have no probs at all with 3 signal or 3g i rarely dont have it but my main prob is customer service i cant stand it i think there rude and unhelpful and dont have a clue ive been hung up on twice and spoken to like im an idoit all i wanted was to ask a few questions about my bill does any one no if theres a complaint department to complain about the customer service! ? thanks

First time I've heard that said about 3 support. I find them very polite, but useless if it is anything difficult.

Go to the Three forum and post up your complaint to Patrick, their rep.

Three Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

whiterebel wrote: »
    First time I've heard that said about 3 support. I find them very polite, but useless if it is anything difficult.

Go to the Three forum and post up your complaint to Patrick, their rep.

Three Forum

thanks i just found that she showed no interest in explaing to me what i was asking the the last time i called witch was this morning! she kept sighing on the phone when i was asking simple questions and it was just driving me nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 slemon123

jimbling wrote: »
    I'm starting to get depressed. Basically, I can't use my phone within the radius of my house. It's a complete balls.

I tried getting help, but it was in vain. The response was along the lines of:
    "Oh, Sorry... it appears that your house / row of houses happens to be in the only red spot on our coverage map. How unfortunate.... nothing we can do, we don't guarantee coverage within a house.... Maybe you should move house? No? Okay, fck off then"

Does anyone know any way of getting out of a three contract? Any way at all?

This works. Call three customer care and tell them the problem. Then tell them that you want your complaint registered. The will try to get you not to register the complaint(you will see why in a mo). Stick with it and don't hang up 'til you've suceeded. Next day do it again and make sure it's registered.

After 2 registered complaints you then contact COMREG and tell them the story. They will look into it and get you out of your contract. It worked for me!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Steveirl2010

ok i feel stupid. Just bought the iPhone 4.0 on the "3" network yesterday.
    I can connect to the internet on wi-fi but not through 3 and i got 4gig access a month?

sorry for sounding stupid...if i click on Safari i get a message

Cannot Open Page
    Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the Internet.

anyone got any ideas?

also got first incoming call today and i couldnt hear them properly like as if they were down a hole. i have the volume turned up all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

On the volume issue... Did you remove the clear plastic cover from the screen? Common issue with people keeping them on at the start, it blocks the earpiece.
    Internet issue... Is the 3G symbol in the top left corner?

thanks a lot Savage, thats the volume sorted lol

no i just have a 3 on the top left not 3g

At the top here is what i have

my signal 3 telephone with arrow to the right and then my battery power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 slemon123

At the top of your screen you should firstly have your signal bars then 3 then 3G then the phone icon with the arrow(this phone icon is a fault on 3 iphones, its the symbol for call forwarding). You are not in a "3G" area if it's not shown next to the operator icon.To try to push your phone onto 3G go to Settings then Carrier and wait for the list to populate.Default is Automatic. Select 3(3G) and wait to see if that works.

its already on Automatic in them settings and 3(3G) has a tick beside it

Lad in IT beside me said it should work no problem because he had the "THREE" broadband USB stick a few weeks ago and it was picking it up.

we are in swords across from Dublin airport....

• Advertisement

Lad in IT beside me said it should work no problem because he had the "THREE" broadband USB stick a few weeks ago and it was picking it up.

we are in swords across from Dublin airport....

Try ##21# SEND. That should get rid of the forwarding icon and wake up the 3G.

If that doesn't work:

Toggle Airplane mode on and off.
    Hook up to iTunes and make sure that you have the latest carrier settings.
    Update to the latest firmware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

its already on Automatic in them settings and 3(3G) has a tick beside it

That's not in automatic mode then. When you press carrier in Settings and it loads the networks, press on automatic (the tick should be beside automatic not 3 3G). Not sure whether thatll fix your problem but its should be on automatic to switch between GPRS and 3G as you won't always be in 3G coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭chenguin

In settings then general then network. Do you have 'cellular data' turned on?

oh dear support lines are in India, what should have been a 10mins call ended up being 30mins.

It seems like my number has not fully transferred to the 3 network hence why no internet access....

cheers for all the help.

it takes 48 hours, pity then didnt tell me this in the shop yesterday.

so i the 14day trial before you can birng it back and get your money has just turned into a 12 day trial lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I'm getting an iphone 4 in a weeks time, will 3 provide me with a micro sim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

thanks a lot Savage, thats the volume sorted lol

no i just have a 3 on the top left not 3g

Sorry but LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

I'm getting an iphone 4 in a weeks time, will 3 provide me with a micro sim?

Yes they will.

3G was enabled and i have access in work
    I went home at lunch and i dont think i have access to 3G internet from home which doesnt matter because i can use my wifi but there is a little o now
    were the 3G was at the top left...do you know what the o is ?

is there an App to tell me how much data has been used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

The small o symbol indicates you are on GPRS Internet connection. Much slower than 3G but better than nothing. (barely)

To check you data allowance you can log into your account on my3.ie

• Advertisement

3G was enabled and i have access in work
    I went home at lunch and i dont think i have access to 3G internet from home which doesnt matter because i can use my wifi but there is a little o now
    were the 3G was at the top left...do you know what the o is ?

is there an App to tell me how much data has been used?

The ° indicates GPRS. Toggling Airplane Mode may return 3G access.

Get the excellent dataman to keep an eye on data (though 4Gb will go a long way).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement