Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

is there an App to tell me how much data has been used?

Open safari, go to bookmarks, open Planet 3 (you can't open this when connected to wifi but it is free), at the bottom click on the my3 link (again this can't be accessed on wifi). For ease you can add this to your home screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

You can also simply go to settings/phone/3Ireland Services and save that to the home screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Sorry if this has been covered, but 140 pages is a lot to read back over!

I got an iPhone 4 with three over the weekend. I was using it back home in Kildare (live in Dublin at the minute), and was having patchy reception. The phone would periodically say that data/network signal lost, and prompt me to go to network settings.

I returned home to Dublin yesterday, and tried to make a few calls, and i got cut off a few times, which I think may also be to do with reception loss.

Now, I think I may have set my phone to manual network settings on "3" (rather than "3(3G)" in network settings at some point when trying to set up data the first time.

I'm wondering is the patchy coverage due to the way I had it set, or is it just part of a wider problem with iPhone 4's/Three network?

The coverage map for the area of Kildare I was in was red for 2g voice and text, and "out and about" for internet and data. Don't mind so much having patchy internet at home, because I'm generally in the house using wifi if i need interent.

But if i'm going to be dropping calls, I'll be using my 14 day cancellation option!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

floggg wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been covered, but 140 pages is a lot to read back over!

I got an iPhone 4 with three over the weekend. I was using it back home in Kildare (live in Dublin at the minute), and was having patchy reception. The phone would periodically say that data/network signal lost, and prompt me to go to network settings.

I returned home to Dublin yesterday, and tried to make a few calls, and i got cut off a few times, which I think may also be to do with reception loss.

Now, I think I may have set my phone to manual network settings on "3" (rather than "3(3G)" in network settings at some point when trying to set up data the first time.

I'm wondering is the patchy coverage due to the way I had it set, or is it just part of a wider problem with iPhone 4's/Three network?

The coverage map for the area of Kildare I was in was red for 2g voice and text, and "out and about" for internet and data. Don't mind so much having patchy internet at home, because I'm generally in the house using wifi if i need interent.

But if i'm going to be dropping calls, I'll be using my 14 day cancellation option!

It should be set to automatic, not 3 or 3(G).

Use the search on this thread, using Kildare, Naas or your town to see if it has been commented on before. I know I remember reading bad things about certain places in Kildare before on the 3 network, on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭serious

you should use this official 3 thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1367.

For best results set the iphone carrier settings to "automatic".
    I live in Kildare and have iphone 4. It does drop calls definitely , the network also drop calls when you are on the phone and you switch from 3g area to 2g which happens in doors becuse of the out and about coverage. this is stated in the terms and conditions so you cant cancel on this reason.
    If you do decide to avail of your 14 money back make sure its a network problem and not a iphone problem. Cancellation is not as easy as you may think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Try setting it automatic, and maybe turn your phone off and on again just to make sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 slemon123

"or is it just part of a wider problem with iPhone 4's/Three network?"
    There's your answer. I've noticied over the past 2 months or so that I'm constantly dropping calls too. Taking it up with customer Cade has proven to be completely pointless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I find when I'm on the move with my iPhone it will switch over to 2g when it is out of 3g coverage, however it will not switch back when I am back into an area of 3g coverage, it is a nuisance, as I have to set the phone to flight mode for a minute and then turn off flight mode to get the 3G back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭pah

Stinicker wrote: »
    I find when I'm on the move with my iPhone it will switch over to 2g when it is out of 3g coverage, however it will not switch back when I am back into an area of 3g coverage, it is a nuisance, as I have to set the phone to flight mode for a minute and then turn off flight mode to get the 3G back on.

You don't say. :rolleyes:

Well since i switched me settings to automatic, I haven't had any issues.

That said, I've been in city centre/dundrum the whole time, so I can't say what it is like anywhere else.

• Advertisement

Well since i switched me settings to automatic, I haven't had any issues.

That said, I've been in city centre/dundrum the whole time, so I can't say what it is like anywhere else.

I'm going to to try that this visit. When in the north, I always leave the phone on manual for fear it would stray onto hostile networks.

I thought they were programmed to go to own network only? If using a northern Sim, surely same rates apply regardless of which network you get put onto?

I thought they were programmed to go to own network only? If using a northern Sim, surely same rates apply regardless of which network you get put onto?

I'm talking about my 3 IRL SIM. There is no such thing as a "northern" SIM. If I had it on automatic, it would stray to the strongest signal and could run up huge bills immediately, just polling for mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

2 times this morning. it disconnected in the middle of a call when i had full signal. that is, full signal, talking on the phone, boum, zero signal, call lost, then couple of minutes later its back on. (happened with the o and not 3g beside the signal).

2 times in 10 minutes, in the middle of a conversation.

stupid.

culabula wrote: »
    I'm taking about my 3 IRL SIM. There is no such thing as a "northern" SIM. If I had it on automatic, it would stray to the strongest signal and could run up huge bills immediately, just polling for mail.

Sorry, how does that work? Surely it will just stick to the three network. Unless you don't have a data pack, there shouldn't be an issue with mail, should there? I would have presumed signal strength would only have effected the speed of download not the amount of data pulled down?

When I was on meteor I set my mail to push notification on gmail android app and never came close to the 1 gig limit.

Sorry, how does that work? Surely it will just stick to the three network. Unless you don't have a data pack, there shouldn't be an issue with mail, should there? I would have presumed signal strength would only have effected the speed of download not the amount of data pulled down?

When I was on meteor I set my mail to push notification on gmail android app and never came close to the 1 gig limit.

In the north, it is free to choose whichever of the four main networks that it wants -if set to automatic. Clearly I want to be on 3UK and to benefit from 3 Like Home.

If I do not manually choose 3 from within the iPhone settings, then I run the risk of it going on to Vodafone UK or one of the others in the absence of a 3 signal -and increasing bills of 7€ a Mb. This means that every time the Mail app performs a fetch/push, then I get charged.

I have seen credit of over 20€ disappear in a matter of minutes on PAYG and data roaming and it something I strenuously try to avoid, especially on my 3 IRL billpay.

As for the other matter, I am just back from Dublin where I set my phone to automatic for 24hrs and got a MUCH better result. It was, for the most part, on 3G at last. However, during the handover at Newry 2 hours ago, I did forget to turn it back to manual for about 20 minutes. Luckily in this instance, then phone did choose 3UK, so no harm done. But that could have been one costly oversight.

Unless you don't have a data pack, there shouldn't be an issue with mail, should there?

If I roamed with O2 UK, Vodafone UK or Orange or T-Mobile and left data roaming ON, my bill would not be a pretty sight, just polling for mail.

Don't try this, anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lynott

I have my iPhone on the 3 network since December. I am very dissappointed with this network. It drops calls a lot of the time, there is "No Service" on it in Enniskillen, Fermanagh where I visit often which means not only am I unable to accept and receive calls but also the "Maps" do not work which I use all the time. When I returned to Dublin Airport recently it took approx 45 mins to lock on to the network which meant I was unable to phone my friend to pick me up. I have tryed everything which has been mentioned inc switching off/on and also switching it on to Airplane mode for 10 secs on the advice of a "3" employee.
    I've just put it down to you get what you pay for....40 yo yo's a month and a free iPhone (and locked into a 24 month contract, Ouch ! )

Lynott wrote: »
    I have my iPhone on the 3 network since December. I am very dissappointed with this network. It drops calls a lot of the time, there is "No Service" on it in Enniskillen, Fermanagh where I visit often which means not only am I unable to accept and receive calls but also the "Maps" do not work which I use all the time. When I returned to Dublin Airport recently it took approx 45 mins to lock on to the network which meant I was unable to phone my friend to pick me up. I have tryed everything which has been mentioned inc switching off/on and also switching it on to Airplane mode for 10 secs on the advice of a "3" employee.
    I've just put it down to you get what you pay for....40 yo yo's a month and a free iPhone (and locked into a 24 month contract, Ouch ! )

I'm afraid the lack of performance in and around Enniskillen and Fermanagh in general has nothing to do with 3 Ireland and no blame may be attached to them in this regard. The absence of service outside major conurbations in the north is appalling but is the responsibility of Three UK (who are not the only network to neglect these areas).

When you arrive back at the airport, do you set your phone to automatic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Radio|Man

For those who wish to express their frustrations with Three, please join this group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/251569434868703

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Lynott

Thanks for setting up this group. My frustrations have become greater since my first post here. I can't believe there is not more publicity on Radio chat shows etc... about the compatibility problem between this network and the iPhone 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Radio|Man

Lynott wrote: »
    Thanks for setting up this group. My frustrations have become greater since my first post here. I can't believe there is not more publicity on Radio chat shows etc... about the compatibility problem between this network and the iPhone 4

If I can have anything to do with this Lynott... there will be.

Anyone else get a text regarding over charging on "multiple texts" ?

Its not just issues with the iPhone 4, its with the network as a whole.

This mentality of sell first - screw later is not on.

Please pass on the group to any others you may know in a similar circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 wayne1976

I have been with Three for 7 months now and thankfully I have just managed to get out of my Iphone contract with them. I had to go through some pain to get there but I have managed to do so.

I was experiencing very bad coverage issues at my home address. I was getting lots of "no service" on the phone a and also had trouble getting onto a 3g signal (and having to flick the airplane mode button a lot to try and get onto the 3G network). I raised this with them a month or so after getting my phone but they didn't really want to know so I tried to continure with them but just ended up doing my head in.

A couple of weeks ago I couldn't take it anymore and instead of calling them I emailed them describing my problem along with attaching screen shots of the iphone with no service etc. Needless to say I never got a reply at all. So my next stop was raising the issue with Com Reg (They advises that I should give three ten working days to respond, which I did but they never responded). They got onto three and hey presto within a couple of days they gave me a call back.

They had no reason as to why I didn't get a response to my mail other than "we must not have got it" I explained that was funny as i had copied com reg on the mail and they responded to me !! I ended up forwarding the mail to their external affairs department (external.affairs.ie@3mail.com) which the representative asked me to do.

They put me through to their networks team who went through some settings on the phone (I just knew from talking to the guy that he was fully aware of the issues and there was nothing really he could do and it was down to Three's shoddy coverage).

A couple of hours later the three representative came back to me asking if i still wanted to cancel my contract which i responded with yes please. I do have to return my iphone to the three store where I bought it which is fair enough.

Its a pity that Three can't provide a better service in Ireland as they have some nice perks such as being able to use your flexiunits in the UK along with having free data roaming in the uk also. But I just couldn't hack it anymore.

I just wanted to share this as I know there are other three customers out there with similar problems. Maybe this might help you get away from three too !!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

Three are absolutley sh1t alright , They have to give lots of perks to make up for their half arsed service. Cant belive people still sign up to them after reading this thread ...dopes with blinkers on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

gizabeer wrote: »
    Three are absolutley sh1t alright , They have to give lots of perks to make up for their half arsed service. Cant belive people still sign up to them after reading this thread ...dopes with blinkers on

With them over a year, never had a prob, get yer own blinkers off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭shanec1928

naasrd wrote: »
    With them over a year, never had a prob, get yer own blinkers off.
    your location says it all... of course your not going to have a problem in the capital were there coverage will be excellent:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I hate how three register iPhone IMEIs(even pre-paid ones) to your name, if you sell the phone the buyer won't be able to unlock it officially, even if he/she is willing to pay.

They should do how Vodafone does and give people a choice to unlock the phone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

wayne1976 wrote: »
    I have been with Three for 7 months now and thankfully I have just managed to get out of my Iphone contract with them. I had to go through some pain to get there but I have managed to do so.

I was experiencing very bad coverage issues at my home address. I was getting lots of "no service" on the phone a and also had trouble getting onto a 3g signal (and having to flick the airplane mode button a lot to try and get onto the 3G network). I raised this with them a month or so after getting my phone but they didn't really want to know so I tried to continure with them but just ended up doing my head in.

A couple of weeks ago I couldn't take it anymore and instead of calling them I emailed them describing my problem along with attaching screen shots of the iphone with no service etc. Needless to say I never got a reply at all. So my next stop was raising the issue with Com Reg (They advises that I should give three ten working days to respond, which I did but they never responded). They got onto three and hey presto within a couple of days they gave me a call back.

They had no reason as to why I didn't get a response to my mail other than "we must not have got it" I explained that was funny as i had copied com reg on the mail and they responded to me !! I ended up forwarding the mail to their external affairs department (external.affairs.ie@3mail.com) which the representative asked me to do.

They put me through to their networks team who went through some settings on the phone (I just knew from talking to the guy that he was fully aware of the issues and there was nothing really he could do and it was down to Three's shoddy coverage).

A couple of hours later the three representative came back to me asking if i still wanted to cancel my contract which i responded with yes please. I do have to return my iphone to the three store where I bought it which is fair enough.

Its a pity that Three can't provide a better service in Ireland as they have some nice perks such as being able to use your flexiunits in the UK along with having free data roaming in the uk also. But I just couldn't hack it anymore.

I just wanted to share this as I know there are other three customers out there with similar problems. Maybe this might help you get away from three too !!

I'm in the exact same position as you bit instead took Three to the small claims court and similarly was offered to be released from contract under the condition I return the phone. I however have let my case proceed and it will be heard early in the new year. From my own personal opinion and interpretation of the contract I singed up to their is no onus on the customer to have to return the phone to them.

Imagine it this way, you bought a discounted laptop when joining a broadband network and entering into contract with them. You own that laptop and received a discount for joining up X company, the laptop is used by X company to attract new customers, X company can't supply satisfactory broadband as per what you signed upto and thus you terminate contract and move to a different company. X Company however cannot demand the laptop back just because they cannot deliver what you signed up for. You own the laptop and it is your property not Three's or in this case the particular iPhone.

If they still want the iPhone tell them they can have it providing they provide you with a full refund for iPhone cost plus your tariff for the last 7 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭vicM

I'm in the exact same position as you bit instead took Three to the small claims court and similarly was offered to be released from contract under the condition I return the phone. I however have let my case proceed and it will be heard early in the new year. From my own personal opinion and interpretation of the contract I singed up to their is no onus on the customer to have to return the phone to them.

Imagine it this way, you bought a discounted laptop when joining a broadband network and entering into contract with them. You own that laptop and received a discount for joining up X company, the laptop is used by X company to attract new customers, X company can't supply satisfactory broadband as per what you signed upto and thus you terminate contract and move to a different company. X Company however cannot demand the laptop back just because they cannot deliver what you signed up for. You own the laptop and it is your property not Three's or in this case the particular iPhone.

If they still want the iPhone tell them they can have it providing they provide you with a full refund for iPhone cost plus your tariff for the last 7 months.

You will find, burried somewhere deep in your contract with three, something to the effect that you dont own the equipment till the contract is over..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did you read the small print?

You were given a subsidised device to use while you were using the network, you will no longer be using their services and will be moving to another provider. I'm not sure how the Judge will view it but i'd assume that you have no reason to keep the device if your no longer using the network.
    If there willing to release you from contract provided you return the device I don't see how you have any reason to object.
    You do not fully own the device until the contract is fully complete, I'd fully read the T's & C's as it's stated in them before putting your argument forward in court. There here http://www.three.ie/pdf/SmallPrint.pdf look at section 3.

Also the phone is locked to 3 and you say the service is no good so why do you want to keep a phone that will always be locked to 3 as they won't give you an unlocking code under the circumstances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement