Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 on Three Ireland Network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Is that data costing you anything, movistar is spain? I didn't know there were any data roaming agreements in spain.

No that wasn't my screenshot. I just copied that from another website. I was just demonstrating the exact data icon I am seeing (GPRS).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

I cancelled my contract but be aware you can only do it when there is a technical Issue. And you need a lot of patience because they keep you running around in circles. Thanks to a nice sales lady in a 3 shop I could cancel it because customer support kept "forgetting" to put a note on my account.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 solasame

ha ha
    Crusade....

Because Three told me it was niteline, and they didn't give me a tracking number,
    Got my phone.

Living in Cork in a rural spot, 3 are telling me theyve 'dispatched' iphone, thinking of ringing Nightline to confirm they are coming with order today or not so that I can head out. Was looking up numbers online, unsure of which one to call, can you pm number to me? Many thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

I have a continually good 3g signal here in Cork (always ranging from 2-5 bars) but for some reason whenever I finish a call I find Im back on the 2g network and have to toggle the airplane mode just to get back to the 3g signal. Its makes no sense why it happens as I have good 3g coverage where I am.

Just for the record too I have the carrier update installed and data roaming activated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I have a continually good 3g signal here in Cork (always ranging from 2-5 bars) but for some reason whenever I finish a call I find Im back on the 2g network and have to toggle the airplane mode just to get back to the 3g signal. Its makes no sense why it happens as I have good 3g coverage where I am.

Just for the record too I have the carrier update installed and data roaming activated.

Just for the record, that happens to me on O2 as well. When I finish a call it switches to Edge for a few seconds then back to 3G. It probably happens on all of the networks but because it switches back almost instantaneously on the other networks you don't notice - except on 3 where you have to re-establish the3G signal manually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

How come some people are getting data Over GPRS and others aren't ?? The 3G signal in my area isn't great so I'd really like to be able to get data on the 2G network. Is the carrier update the problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

cian1500ww wrote: »
    How come some people are getting data Over GPRS and others aren't ?? The 3G signal in my area isn't great so I'd really like to be able to get data on the 2G network. Is the carrier update the problem ?

I was able to do this on a 3pay sim. I tried it beforehand to check it out as I'm not in a 3G area and it was grand. Slow, but grand.
    However, I just got my iPhone 4 with 3, put in the microsim and installed the carrier settings via iTunes and it won't let me get Data anymore!

Hope there's a fix soon.

P.S. in another thread here fbradyirl says if you do a restore you should be able to remove carrier files....might try that.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055990179

Just waiting on my number to be ported over!!! Bloody system is down!!! So annoying!!!

Anyone else in the same boat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 solasame

Do you mind just explaining what it means to have your number ported over? Sorry!

It's when you want to keep your number from your old network.

Yep....I'm still waiting too, Entrepeneur!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

It's a problem with the phone! I'll bet a nokia would hold the 3G signal. They need to do something about being able to use data on 2G quick.
    Never gonna happen. 3 do not have a 2g network they use vodafones backhaul services for providing 2g coverage to 3's customers i.e. text and voice. In order to be able to edge/2g on 3's network they would have to setup additional roaming contracts with vodafone. This will never happen or at least not in the foreseeable. As i pointed out earlier in the thread this is one disadvantage of getting the iphone on 3. You cannot browse on their 2g service however you can browse comfortably on o2's 2g/edge service.

For people still having issues withe their iphones on 3's network not automatically hooking on to the 3g service when available please ensure you have read my previous posts. The network reset has 100% fixed my 2g/3g issue since i did it 24 hours ago

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭stephenbrow

Just waiting on my number to be ported over!!! Bloody system is down!!! So annoying!!!

Brand bashing....!

corklad32 wrote: »
    Never gonna happen. 3 do not have a 2g network they use vodafones backhaul services for providing 2g coverage to 3's customers i.e. text and voice. In order to be able to edge/2g on 3's network they would have to setup additional roaming contracts with vodafone. This will never happen or at least not in the foreseeable. As i pointed out earlier in the thread this is one disadvantage of getting the iphone on 3. You cannot browse on their 2g service however you can browse comfortably on o2's 2g/edge service

But it already works on 3pay???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Brand bashing....!

Me too - bought my iPhone in the 3 shop last night. Said I would be switched over 8pm. Went into the shop this morning, they rang CC and said it should be on by 1pm. Still "No Service".

P.

gartcork wrote: »
    But it already works on 3pay???
    Really? This is crazy - i spoke to 2 three tech guys one said there is no agreement for 2g data services another said there was. They really haven't a clue and its leading to a lot of confusion. I for one in the cork city area cannot get 2g surfing on 3's network in Cork on iphone 4 billpay. T'would be bloody handy if i could though. What the hell is going on like some can, some can't, bill pay, pay as you go, non iphone, iphone and area all seems to be making a difference as to who can edge and who can't on 3's network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I was having trouble getting ported from O2 yesterday but it has gone through in the last hour or so.

Really? This is crazy - i spoke to 2 three tech guys one said there is no agreement for 2g data services another said there was. They really haven't a clue and its leading to a lot of confusion. I for one in the cork city area cannot get 2g surfing on 3's network in Cork on iphone 4 billpay. T'would be bloody handy if i could though. What the hell is going on like some can, some can't, bill pay, pay as you go, non iphone, iphone and area all seems to be making a difference as to who can edge and who can't on 3's network

I just emailed Three to see if they could get a representative on here to answer some of our queries. Maybe everyone should email them.

customer.services.ie@3mail.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

whats the deal so, can you cancel your contract in 14 days of signing up, cool down period i guess

the 2g 3g debacle is starting to annoy me, i'm dropping calls in places with weak signal in my house, which never happened with o2, and i cant browse when the phones decides it doesn't want to stay on 3g,
    and silly airplane switch tricks to get it to come back to 3g,

not sure i signed up for this hassle 3

ill have the phone a week tomo, not sure do i want to stay with three now that ive had time with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I'm in the same boat i spend most of my time in the Dublin 2 area and my phone almost never has 3g coverage and when it does have some it loses it very soon after it makes owning the iphone 4 pointless,

I also have a 3 PAYG sim in my HTC Desire and it almost never loses 3g Coverage which indicates to me that the iphone 4 isnt compatible with their network

I just emailed Three to see if they could get a representative on here to answer some of our queries. Maybe everyone should email them.

customer.services.ie@3mail.com

done

• Advertisement

Posting this using 3's 2G service via a PAYG sim
    434dde3d.jpg

@TheEntrepreneur My port has successfully gone through just there.

@TheEntrepreneur My port has successfully gone through just there.

Delighted for you. When did you apply? Hope they do mine too. Were you o2 before yeah? Is everything all good now??

Delighted for you. When did you apply? Hope they do mine too. Were you o2 before yeah? Is everything all good now??

Applied yesterday about 1pm....rang again today about 11am.
    I must say they were very pleasant and polite and coherent.
    I'm in the middle of restoring at the moment to see if I can get rid of the carrier setting and put in my own so I can use it outside 3G (hoping)
    I'll keep you posted...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭stephenbrow

I got a mail from three.ie subject iPhone Update...
    YES... here is a fix....

Actually, No it was Three trying to sell me an iPhone... :(

Since that I got two blank mails with a date in 1970.. strange !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

fbradyirl wrote: »
    I am getting 3G full time in Galway.

When I head out into the country, I get data over GPRS. Icon is a circle, '3 1236195960909.gprs_icon.jpg'

The GPRS I'm getting is actually faster than the EDGE data I used to get on O2.

How can you recieve data over GPRS? My 3gs just says no available internet or something, it makes no effort to connect over GPRS/EDGE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

How can you recieve data over GPRS? My 3gs just says no available internet or something, it makes no effort to connect over GPRS/EDGE

Do you see the little circle or nothing at all?

I have a 3pay sim in my iPhone 4. I also installed the carrier settings from iTunes when prompted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Do you see the little circle or nothing at all?

I have a 3pay sim in my iPhone 4. I also installed the carrier settings from iTunes when prompted.

Yeah I get the little circle but no internet connectivity.

That's because you downloaded the new carrier settings I'll bet! It forces you to use 3G only for data. 2G is works for me because I haven't - see post abov

• Advertisement

Hmmm.... Just off the phone with Three. Basically I can cancel because I live in an area with no 3G.
    I tried a restore but no joy.You can put in the settings yourself but you still can't get the internet without3G/Wi-Fi on Bill Pay.

(I know for a fact you can get it on 3Pay) :confused:

now what to do....
    If I cancel I have to (obviously) give back the phone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement