Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Stansted Express

Options
  • 15-07-2010 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

First of all thank you therecklessone for the travel info, very informative. I just have one or two questions that were not covered about the stansted express. I am going to the man city game in august, I will not be stoping overnight so i just want a quick return to stansted. Does the train ticket i buy on Ryan-air entitle me to use Tottenham Hale Station? or is it just for Liverpool Street.
    If i decide to buy the cheeper ticket the £15.40 to the station near Tottenham Hale (not sure the name of it now) what is the chances of going through those ticket reading barriers at Tottenham Hale Station, and therefore getting stuck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

daveman16 wrote: »
    First of all thank you therecklessone for the travel info, very informative. I just have one or two questions that were not covered about the stansted express. I am going to the man city game in august, I will not be stoping overnight so i just want a quick return to stansted. Does the train ticket i buy on Ryan-air entitle me to use Tottenham Hale Station? or is it just for Liverpool Street.
    If i decide to buy the cheeper ticket the £15.40 to the station near Tottenham Hale (not sure the name of it now) what is the chances of going through those ticket reading barriers at Tottenham Hale Station, and therefore getting stuck.

So your flying to and from stansted in the one day, correct ? On a sat, they leave every 15 mins I think. Get the express, it stops at Tottenham Hale, the ground is 15/20 min walk away, or 5 mins in a cab. Same going back to the airport.

Thats what i would normally do, the lads might have a more complex idea ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

You can use it to either station.

Very unlikely as they don't have ticket barriers at Tottenham Hale for the overground trains. (They do for the tube of course) Don't worry about it you'll have no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

Its more expensive to go STN/Liv St anyway so there's no issue getting on and off at Tottenham Hale.

It works out cheaper using the link on Ryanair than buying a ticket direct between TH & STN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

golfball37 wrote: »
    Its more expensive to go STN/Liv St anyway so there's no issue getting on and off at Tottenham Hale.

It works out cheaper using the link on Ryanair than buying a ticket direct between TH & STN.

No it doesn't. Just checked there for Satusday 14th August Man City game Ryanair Stansted Express costs £24 return and buyng at the ticket office in Stansted to go Stansted to Northumberland Park via Tottenham Hale costs £16.20 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

the best trick is to buy a STN - Northumberland Park day return
    works out about 30%/40% cheaper then normal STN - Liv St return
    get off at Tott Hale and either walk/taxi to WHL or wait for a train to NP station and get off there.

Directly after the game there are STN tranis that stop at NP ststion, saves the 20min walk.

Ronan knows the exact drill on this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The advice above is spot on. What you need to do to get the cheapest fare is:

1. Buy a ticket at Stansted (either from the automated machines or the manned ticket window) to Northumberland Park. Make sure it is a cheap day return (off-peak travel, which covers the weekends)

2. Get the Stansted Express to Tottenham Hale, then either exit there and make your way by foot to WHL, or jump on a northbound train travelling back to Northumberland Park.

3. This is important: the ticket you will have bought is governed by rules, one of which is you must end you outbound journey at Northumberland Park (and start the inbound from there). Now as the lads have said, there are no ticket barriers at Tottenham Hale, however if there are ticket inspectors on duty at the exit you will not be able to exit at Hale. Always have a story ready, mine is I was just popping into the station building to top up my Oyster Card, as the rare occasion we do encounter any is at the platform-side entrance to the station building as you come over the bridge from the opposite side.

4. Coming back is easy, I simply walk back to Hale and into the station, I have never encountered any ticket checks at that point. Another option is to check beforehand if any northbound Stansted trains will be stopping at Northumberland Park after the game, as that station is actually closer to the ground. Alternatively, you could go to NP, get a train to Hale then head back on the Stansted Express.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭daveman16

Thanks for the help. I think I will chance the Northumberland ticket. I do have a lot of time as I get in to Stansted at 745am and flight back not until 815pm so I am unlikely to be using the station directly after the game plan to have a look around maybe shopping in the area (if there is any). I am travelling with a friend so that Oyster card top up excuse might not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Thanks for the help. I think I will chance the Northumberland ticket. I do have a lot of time as I get in to Stansted at 745am and flight back not until 815pm so I am unlikely to be using the station directly after the game plan to have a look around maybe shopping in the area (if there is any). I am travelling with a friend so that Oyster card top up excuse might not work.

Shopping? There really isn't, tbh the Tottenham area is a real kip. There are a few chains near Tottenham Hale (Currys, Dixons etc) but other than that you'd be pressed to find any distractions. There is a good pub near Tottenham Hale called the Volunteer where you could have a beer before jumping on the train.

On the last point, there is a small shop in the station building, so if you're stopped you are going in to get a drink/smokes/paper/whatever. Simples.

you're on the same flights as me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Simple Pieman

Don't forget those Network Railcards chaps. For an initial outlay of £25 you get discounted travel (1/3 off most fares) for 12 months. 4 adults + 4 children can travel together on the one card.

http://www.railcard.co.uk/network

You don't have to use it much for it to pay for itself!

• Advertisement

Don't forget those Network Railcards chaps. For an initial outlay of £25 you get discounted travel (1/3 off most fares) for 12 months. 4 adults + 4 children can travel together on the one card.

http://www.railcard.co.uk/network

You don't have to use it much for it to pay for itself!

Can anyone use those cards or is your name on it.? if anyone could use the same card you could pass it around whenever someone was going over ;)

Great! :) I won't get lost so :D

Can anyone use those cards or is your name on it.? if anyone could use the same card you could pass it around whenever someone was going over ;)

There is no photograph on the card but they do require a signature on the back. Never checked though. So yes it could be passed around.

There is no photograph on the card but they do require a signature on the back. Never checked though. So yes it could be passed around.

Looks great value. when applying do you have to hand the forum in person to the station. or can you post it to get your card, and is it OK to use an Irish address on the application forum.

It wont be hard to spot each other on the flight I am sure we will be waring all the Spurs colours we got.lol. look forward to meeting you.

Any one else on the 6.30 ryanair flight?

Looks great value. when applying do you have to hand the forum in person to the station. or can you post it to get your card, and is it OK to use an Irish address on the application forum.

If you complete the form in advance, you could hand it in at the ticket office (down on the platforms) at Stansted Airport - probably easiest, if you miss a train you only have a 15 minute wait for the next one. Have not heard that you can not use an Irish address - yer Reckless friend has had one before. I think they use addresses just for advertising mailshots and you could always be John Smith of 123 Paxton Road, Tottenham, N17.

It wont be hard to spot each other on the flight I am sure we will be waring all the Spurs colours we got.lol. look forward to meeting you.

Any one else on the 6.30 ryanair flight?

gonna be a great day
    love the season opener

Advertisement