Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To root or not to root!

• 15-07-2010 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi All,

Android phones are new to me ( i dont have one, Yet ) So i am just looking in to,

What is the best Android phone to get, And
    When i root, What is the best Custom ROM/Build to use.

I came across this, It helped me understand what rooting means.
    Rooted, or rooting, is a rather new term primarily for Linux-based smart phones.

In every version of unix, linux, SunOS, AIX, HPUX, etc, there are several user id's that are set up by default. Some of them run things, others are mostly just a holding and controlling place. The root id, has a UID (userid) of zero. It is all powerful. If you have the password to the root id, you can use it. I've honestly not read how they're getting into the various phones, there could be some other things "wrapped" on top of root to hide it, or the normal ways to hack into it, nevertheless, this is the goal, to get full access to the root id.

What does this do? If you're not a coder or sysadmin, this may seem like not much, but it is everything due to the way the operating system manages permissions. In a nutshell, root has, or can assign to itself, permission to all files and directories, and all users. EVERYTHING in unix/linux can be treated as a file to an extent, so if you have access to every file, you have access to every possible function now or added in the future, as long as it is part of the Linux operating system that root controls. There can be some things that are hardcoded into electronics/chips on the phone that are not under Linux, and therefore root, control. But anything you think of as a program or application is, and some that you may not realize are programs are.

So with root, you can add, own, edit, delete, ANY file on the system, and control who else (what other user id's) have access to what files (programs, apps, functions). Again, think - all powerful.

Hope this helps more for the layman.

ADS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I would get a desire - thats what I saved up to get but my sister bought me a g1.

I have only ever used Cyanogens rom - but it seems great to me and the support irc is great as our the forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Why Should I

I would get a desire - thats what I saved up to get but my sister bought me a g1.

I have only ever used Cyanogens rom - but it seems great to me and the support irc is great as our the forums.

Cheers for the reply.

Whats up with the HTC Evo 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Cheers for the reply.

Whats up with the HTC Evo 4?

Won't come here but check out the rumors about the HTC Desire HD, pretty much a Evo inside but without the 4g chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

jwcurtin wrote: »
    Won't come here but check out the rumors about the HTC Desire HD, pretty much a Evo inside but without the 4g chip.
    But it's coming out in October and doesn't really offer too much over the Desire. The next best thing will probably come out March-April next year.

gingerbread is being released in october - that means htc and others will get the finger out and release phones with their versions of it before christmas and will be out in ireland maybe around that time but deffo just after christmas. (3.0 will stll have sense etc - despite android not wanting it because of supposed gui upgrade)

But ye I agree - it will be 2011 before we see the next big jump to dual core or much faster processors.

Iphone doesnt want to go this route as its still stuck in apps only and bigger processing/graphics etc is more suited to widgets etc like android and even winmo and others.

But for now - deffo root your phone no matter what phone you get, it makes it so much better.

• Advertisement

gingerbread is being released in october - that means htc and others will get the finger out and release phones with their versions of it before christmas and will be out in ireland maybe around that time but deffo just after christmas. (3.0 will stll have sense etc - despite android not wanting it because of supposed gui upgrade)

But ye I agree - it will be 2011 before we see the next big jump to dual core or much faster processors.

Iphone doesnt want to go this route as its still stuck in apps only and bigger processing/graphics etc is more suited to widgets etc like android and even winmo and others.

But for now - deffo root your phone no matter what phone you get, it makes it so much better.

Cheers for the replies people.

Il pick up a second hand HTC Desire for now and then get the new HD once its out.

As for rooting, What custom OS/Build would you recommend

Cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What extra features do you get with any of the ROMs?

Other than access to the full market, which I have access to anyway, I've not seen what wonderful new things you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Yeah I'd also like if some experienced 'rooters' could point out a few good reasons to root. I'd be interested in doing it but I don't really know the benefits so I haven't had the urge yet.

Before I got my Desire, I had a Windows Mobile phone, and I installed a few Custom Roms which worked well and improved my WM device, so I'm familiar with the idea.

My basic knowledge is that rooting the Desire will give me:

-Apps that need root access like MarketEnabler
    - Ability to install custom roms.
    - Anything else?

Also, are the custom ROMs available via MoDaCo/XDA Devs a big improvement on the stock roms? If so, in what way? Battery/Performance?

6ix wrote: »

- Anything else?

Also, are the custom ROMs available via MoDaCo/XDA Devs a big improvement on the stock roms? If so, in what way? Battery/Performance?

Thats more or less what i am speaking about, It would be great. If someone in the know could break it down for the rest of us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

6ix wrote: »
    Yeah I'd also like if some experienced 'rooters' could point out a few good reasons to root. I'd be interested in doing it but I don't really know the benefits so I haven't had the urge yet.

Before I got my Desire, I had a Windows Mobile phone, and I installed a few Custom Roms which worked well and improved my WM device, so I'm familiar with the idea.

My basic knowledge is that rooting the Desire will give me:

- Anything else?

Custom ROMs offer a lot more in the way of improvements. For example you can enable WiFi N and 720p. There is also an FM transmitter built in to the phone which is being worked on. These are all examples for the Desire / Nexus One. Other phones may be similar.

• Advertisement

nope looks like the desire is said to get flash from adobe - but when?

yes you can get market enabler and apps2sd on an unrooted device but they come easier on every rom.

you will get 2.2 - which is not quite out for the desire iirc.

you could install numerous different roms with different features and themes like ones with or without sense etc.

more customizations - more homescreens for example.

http://lifehacker.com/5342237/five-great-reasons-to-root-your-android-phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

You should buy an iPhone if you have no interest in rooting or tweaking your phone, that's what these things are for. I've had a rooted Hero and I rooted my Desire after only having it 3 weeks, have a Modaco Ad free account so was able to dl the new ROM and install it the other day, very very happy with it. Battery life still aint great though.

Dave147 wrote: »
    You should buy an iPhone if you have no interest in rooting or tweaking your phone, that's what these things are for. I've had a rooted Hero and I rooted my Desire after only having it 3 weeks, have a Modaco Ad free account so was able to dl the new ROM and install it the other day, very very happy with it. Battery life still aint great though.

I think you should learn to read.

As its been stated people are interested in rooting, They just want to know whats the pros and cons! are

There is a good saying
    If you got nothing good to say, Don't say anything at all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yep, just looking for info on what there is to gain. The idea of flashing the rom doesn't bother me in the slightest, just if I think it's worth it or not. Already having full market access with the default setup on mine I'm just wanting to know if there are other things to gain that interest me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

My apologies, when I said 'you' what I meant was 'one'. I didn't mean you specifically. But I do believe that if someone is looking for a smart phone for the sake of having one they should look elsewhere. Sorry for confusion I caused!

Dave147 wrote: »
    My apologies, when I said 'you' what I meant was 'one'. I didn't mean you specifically. But I do believe that if someone is looking for a smart phone for the sake of having one they should look elsewhere. Sorry for confusion I caused!

No problem at all mate,

And i know what you are trying to say, personally i want a phone that will enable me to do what needs to be done,

Internet
    Bebo/MSN/Skype/Twitter etc
    Send emails
    Watch vids on the move ( train or waiting rooms :D )
    Able to record photos/vids of family events.

I am not a fan of music so thats not to important to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

i still hafnt got my desire (waiting on three to get it sometime next week i think)

was looking at this to see what the benefits are alright

-allows you to underclock the cpu when its not needed (save battery life etc) or overclock it (1Ghz on desire is probably enough for now anyway though)
    -Ability to install custom roms (speeds up overall phone, increase battery life etc)
    -Allows you to use your desire to connect laptop to the internet via wifi etc
    -Upgrade to android version 2.2 (supposed to be a big improvement)
    -see here for a few more simple things also

Quoted from Mr E
    Rooting is, as I said above, removing all restrictions from your phone. From a quick look around, it seems that rooting (for many operators) will void your warranty, but with a bit of preparation, you can "unroot" a phone before returning it (assuming your phone is still in a working condition). Read more on the subject here. I think I remember reading on the big HTC Hero thread that someone returned a faulty rooted phone, and got a replacement (no questions asked). Its up to you if you want to proceed, but just be aware of the issues.

ROMs are basically images of the operating system (the files need to run your phone - the icons, homescreen, contact list etc). Flashing a ROM is the term for putting a new version of the ROM on your phone. Consider there is an update once every 6 months for your phone. when a new one comes out, people create custom versions which extend battery life, make the phone faster, add different widget options etc... most of these roms are shared so you can enjoy the improvements made by people like you or me who use the phone daily and have found ways to make using it nicer and easier :)

Overclocking is a term for speeding up your phone by making the CPU (the brain of the phone) run faster. Overclocking any hardware is a balancing act between improving the speed of the device, and decreasing the stability and battery life of the device. The Desire is running on a 1GHz processor, so its already pretty nippy. Not much point (or benefit) in overclocking it.

those are what iv seen so far.
    im sure there are many more reasons.
    general questions as to if it voids the warranty etc have not had a clear answer on here yet though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I rooted my phone so i can install new roms. Thats the only reason i did it. FOr market access if i was sticking with stock rom i would just order a free uk sim from one the providers over there. Stick it in and use wifi to download paid apps i buy.

On a side note its getting ridiculous that paid app are not in ireland yet. There are so many ways around getting them that google just may aswell allow it. The way things are now just encourages piracy and people to download apps without paying. If google want better apps fpr android they need developers and developers should be paid for their work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

jd83 wrote: »
    On a side note its getting ridiculous that paid app are not in ireland yet. There are so many ways around getting them that google just may aswell allow it. The way things are now just encourages piracy and people to download apps without paying. If google want better apps fpr android they need developers and developers should be paid for their work.

I totally agree, its an issue with Android itself outside the supported paid apps markets, and it encourages you to pike the apps. I piked copilot for this very reason.

Advertisement