Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drontal Opinions

Options
  • 15-07-2010 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Thinking of giving this to my dog & cat. Of course, I've seen the adverts, but if any of you have experience of this, I would love to hear!

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Do you mean the wormer?
    I have used it in the past no problem, I always buy wormer from the vets as its better stuff than the supermarket stuff.
    Not sure of the name of one I'm using at the mo, vet gives me the tablets in an envelope with doses written on it, I know I should ask the name, I trust him when he says its a good one, he uses it himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yes Mymo - I mean the wormer. Vets do prescribe it as well as the Milbemax which is what I usually give my boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I use drontal for my dogs and cats and it's always been fine. My kitten had roundworms last year, and it killed them after one dose. And it's never made the animals sick or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

The only thing with drontal AFAIK it doesn't cover heartworm and lungworm. My vet had a big poster up about this and supposedly lungworm is in parts of Ireland now. Ask your vet about it as there are wormers that cover this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Ah - I didn't know Drontal doesn't cover lungworm....I know it exists in Ireland, but I use a wormer (Millemax?) from the vet.

OK - I'll keep using the stuff from the vet so!

Thanks very much for the help guys. Much appreciated!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Drontal is a very effective wormer but not for Lungworm (Angriostrongylus vasorum). The active ingredient is Praziquantel and its Fenbendazole you need for this.

Although Lungworm is becoming more common...its not that common, so if it was me id alternate between Drontal and Panacur or Milbemax (reduces chances of infection rather than prevention).Theres some evidence (ill find a paper) that certain parasites are becoming resistant to some wormers so id always alternate them if it was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Drontal is a good wormer, but the tablets are quite large for pilling a cat. I changed to Milbemax. A drontal tablet is about the size of a round painkiller for humans. A Milbemax tablet is about the size of a cooked grain of rice. Milbemax is a lot easier to get into a cat.

I have one cat who is very, very difficult to worm, but I've managed successfully with Milbemax because the tablets are small enough to hide two halves in two pieces of meat and pill the cat without him even realising.

Advertisement