Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone having trouble getting a decent ping from the servers?

Options
  • 15-07-2010 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Anyone having trouble getting a decent ping from the servers? i log into a ping with around 40 to 50 and during gameplay it varies like mad, from 150 to 999, making it unplayable. This has happened for the last few days, nothing downloading in the background, just laggy and unplayable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I've never really paid attention to ping, in the server browser it's always 40-60, then up over 100 once I finally get on the server, and it rarely make a difference to lag in my experience. I do notice slightly dodgy hit reg sometimes on higher ping servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

on the server browser the server ping ranges from 40 to 999, but as mentioned when i play one that initialy registered 40 it varies from 150 to 999, chnging every time the tab button is pressed. i have a 3mb eircom bundle. its so bad for example when you walk up steps it takes you back about 5 seconds and you have to walk up the steps again!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

omerin wrote: »
    on the server browser the server ping ranges from 40 to 999, but as mentioned when i play one that initialy registered 40 it varies from 150 to 999, chnging every time the tab button is pressed. i have a 3mb eircom bundle. its so bad for example when you walk up steps it takes you back about 5 seconds and you have to walk up the steps again!

The 40 value you're seeing in the browser is a straight forward ping, but in game it attempts to show real world latency instead. But the rest sounds like packet loss or contention on your connection. Try to show results of speedtest.net and pingtest.net for a better idea. And also show your linestats from your modem.

[IMG][/img]882720016.png

I have tried this test a couple of days ago and got a download speed of 0.79, but i went for a re-test and it was around the 2.60 mark.

Router Information
    Router Name
    Netopia
    Model
    2247-02

Software Version
    7.7.0r6
    Warranty Date
    11/24/2006

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 18.00 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 41.00 24.50
    CRC Errors 0 1

Current Channel 4
    WEP Encryption Enabled

In Good Frames 10598
    In Packets 10598
    In Unicast Frames 9231
    In Multicast Frames 1096
    In Discard Frames 0

Out Good Frames 6652
    Out Packets 6652
    Out Unicast Frames 6344
    Out Multicast Frames 307
    Out Discard Frames 0

In=Downstream
    Out=Upstream

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

[IMG][/img]882720016.png

I have tried this test a couple of days ago and got a download speed of 0.79, but i went for a re-test and it was around the 2.60 mark.

Ping of 197ms though? That's nasty. Try the other speedtest servers in Dublin and Galway just in case. It would be really beneficial to see your linestats at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah a ping of 200+ is not good for an FPS....before you even fire you would be taken hits from enemies!

[IMG][/img]882732787.png

Sligo this time and better ping, strange, would have presumed that Limerick would have been better, seeing that i'm in Cork?

Are the result 2 posts up what you are looking for Spear?

[IMG][/img]882732787.png

Sligo this time and better ping, strange, would have presumed that Limerick would have been better, seeing that i'm in Cork?

Are the result 2 posts up what you are looking for Spear?

That's them. Your line is capable of much more speed than 3 megs, so it's odd for the ping to end up so high. Your SNR margin is plenty as well. Are you connected wirelessly?

Yes it's a wireless, but problem has been bad the last 2 weeks or so.

Yes it's a wireless, but problem has been bad the last 2 weeks or so.

Then try connecting by wire to test as well.

I suspect you've had a neighbour who's also started using wireless on the same channel. Try change it to 11 or 12 and test again.

• Advertisement

changed channel but the same high pings. without pressing a key you move sideways. no help from eircom, all they seem to care about it their speedtest and once that is registering something decent they couldn't give a ....

changed channel but the same high pings. without pressing a key you move sideways. no help from eircom, all they seem to care about it their speedtest and once that is registering something decent they couldn't give a ....

Trying it wired is the next step then.

Spear wrote: »
    Trying it wired is the next step then.

Ya i will try that but the modem is downstairs and the pc is upstairs. Just to clarify aswell the internet speed in general is fine, its just this game and i've had it (bf2bc) since it came out, only problems in the last couple of weeks. just tried it again and in the space of 30 seconds in game play the ping went - 170, 999, 350, 260 370! its impossible to do anything

just an update, i tightened the antenna at the back of the modem and it seems to be better, when i say better the highest ping now is about 350, but it can go as low as 150. must look to get a cable and connect directly ...

rang eircom again and as far as they are concerned its my problem not theirs. as long as their speed test is ok then tough. they asked to put netstat / a into the command prompt and i told them that there were approx 30 tcp all but 2 just listening. that's the problem i was told there are too many open and thats whats slowing it down, get an expert to look at it, there should only be 10. really frustrated now as it effects all my on line gaming :( Really don't like their attitude, in my 4 years with them i phoned them max 5 times and twice in the last 2 weeks. to be fair to them download speeds are fine but main reason for bb is online gaming, now where is upc's number :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

when i get a ping of 20 to 40 showin on the browser, my average ping in game is 80 to 99,
    anything above 40 usually comes up just over 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

why are you still bothering with eircom.
    theyre proper ****. they always have been.

for half the price you can get a 20mb line from upc.
    which comes in at 2mb down and 150kb up.

and one of their tech support told me everyones gettin upgraded to a 30mb line soon.

switch man!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Word to the wise.....UPC Customer Service is absolute rubbish. I switched over 2 months ago, and I have been on the phone about 10 times. When the BB works it works fine but they will never send out a tech to your house unless the modem goes on fire and you have photo evidence to prove it....the tech support guys or worse GIRLS have not got a clue......

Dublin Gunner recently switched to another BB provider cant think now who it is but he is happy. PM him he tell you....

My BB is fine now and I am getting 15mb speeds all the time and no contention ratio at all, but starting off it was bad......

Advertisement