Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on how to meet new people in Waterford....

• 15-07-2010 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭

Basically it's for my Mother who's in her 50's and a widow(she'll be so proud that i never gave her age away). She has gone on holidays on her own with a travel agency where you travel with couples and single people in a group and she loves it but that costs a fair bit of money so i'm looking for ideas for her to meet people in Waterford.
    If there was something like a group where people go out and maybe go to the theatre or cinema or the pub together just to make friends then that would be perfect.
    Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Boooourns wrote: »
    If there was something like a group where people go out and maybe go to the theatre or cinema or the pub together just to make friends then that would be perfect.
    Thanks for your help in advance.

Not really much in terms of just making friends, the best groups have a specific purpose, but also have a social element to them.

How about the Lourdes pilgramage, they have things going on all through the year in preparation.

I don't know how fit she is, but the Comeragh mountain group has people in their 50s.

Evening classes?

Volunteer for something, eg Samaratins, SVDP, Credit Union committee. Volunteering is probably the best, these have a good sense of camaraderie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Maybe the Deise Active Retirement Association ? i think they meet in the woodlands hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Arts classes, ICA are fairly active. Tons of Yoga classes, various personal improvement courses around the place. There's a fair bit going on but I wouldn't be an expert.

There's a group or class for almost any interest, so she should get involved in one of them for a while and see where it goes. My mother joined an art class, and they ended up meeting all the time even after the class ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

merlante wrote: »
    Arts classes, ICA are fairly active. Tons of Yoga classes, various personal improvement courses around the place. There's a fair bit going on but I wouldn't be an expert.

There's a group or class for almost any interest, so she should get involved in one of them for a while and see where it goes. My mother joined an art class, and they ended up meeting all the time even after the class ended.
    yeah Art is a good one. My mum did the same and meets up with her art buddies regularly. She loves it.

Seems to be a good few hill walking groups in waterford
    http://www.mountaineering.ie/nearestclub/viewdetails.asp?catID=29

Do some event to raise money charity is also a great way of meeting people. I did a charity cycle last year and still keep in touch with a few people i made friends with. We had some craic.
    If she is into walking she could try out the Kerry Way Cancer Research Walk which is on soon.
    http://www.kerrywaycancerwalk.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Some great suggestions here, thanks people. Keep them coming if there's anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement