Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAR BOOT ATHY

Options
  • 15-07-2010 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Has anyone been to the Car Boot Sale at the Hunting Ground on Saturdays? Whats it like? I'm thinking of going to sell some bits n pieces i gathered up around the house that i don't use anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Definitly worth a go once anyway,
    Cost's €10 to bring the car in and set up a stall for the day
    Generally finishes up around 2-3pm
    Get there early (7:30 if possible) to get a good spot near the front of the ground (this way its easier to leave earlier if you want to)

Can be quiet on bad weather days (suppose thats the case for most car-boots)
    Had a stall there a while ago got rid of a lot of stuff, went a few times after but in the end was left with crap that nobody wanted, so will wait to build up more junk to flog :D

Expect to be haggled a lot so start high ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jonnycwh

Thanks Pablod. I took your advice and went along this morning.
    There's quite a bit in it and a good variety of stalls. I sold most of my stuff. For anyone else thinking of doing this here is my advice:

don't bother bringing the expensive stuff out - they only want cheap stuff.
    start off with a higher price as they are very good at bargaining you down! (even the kids)
    Clothes sell well as do dvds.
    get there early as it fizzled out about lunch time and people started leaving.
    bring warm clothes and rain gear (although the weather held out for us thank god)

other things to note:
    the organiser comes around during the day to take the 10euro from you. this is not taken at entry time.
    the restaurant sends out a waiter to take orders from the stall holders incase they can't leave the stall. this is very handy!

overall it was an enjoyable experience. i would definately do it again when i have more stuff. i'd love to hear your experience on this.

thanks again to pablod for his advice, i hope mine helps too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Any tracksuits/runners like in the liberty markets ?

airmax87 wrote: »
    Any tracksuits/runners like in the liberty markets ?

Yeah, a few stalls with a lot of tracksuits tops etc..and some with runners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Is it around 40-60 for trackys and 50 for runners ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 gunner man

all changed now guys. €14 for a car, €17 for a van and that includes small vans. you pay at the gate. the restaurant is gone to bits. the toilets are disgusting. there is no waiter sent around. and it is so hard to sell down there. if you gave it to them for nothing, they'd want change. easily know the owning from 4 years ago is gone. new man is an ignorant pig who is only interested in money

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

Can it only be unwanted household goods you can sell? I have a load of trinkets and different stuff but they're all new.

Will I able to come and try to sell them?

you can sell what you like but don't expect a lot for them. the market goers in Athy expect things for little or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dubchef

Hey guys, was thinking of selling soup, sandwiches, cakes, bread, etc at the Athy Car boot sale, would there be much of a market there for this, as the stall owners have to eat too?

Dubchef wrote: »
    Hey guys, was thinking of selling soup, sandwiches, cakes, bread, etc at the Athy Car boot sale, would there be much of a market there for this, as the stall owners have to eat too?

I can't see the owner letting you as he has a place inside for the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

When, where, what, how .... Is it a once a month thing or what?

Cork Skate wrote: »
    When, where, what, how .... Is it a once a month thing or what?

When - Every Saturday Morning - starts 7am goes until approx 2pm-3pm (most stalls pack up around 1pm or so)
    Where - Hunting Ground Restaurant
    What - Car boot Sale/mini-market
    How - Get out of bed early and go there - the earlier the better as anything decent (if anything decenet) is gone by mid-morning

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭p_o_s_t_y

Hi,do they sell toys Lego etc at the boot sale,was going to drive up from waterford but don't want to waste my time if they don't sell the stuff I am after,cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Is there water on Saturn's moon Titan? It's a boot sale where people sell there unwanted stuff. You could get a truck load of something this week and never see it back there again. I wouldn't drive that distance not knowing what's on offer. For you you should check out the Sunday market in Callan Co.Kilkenny. That's more a traders market and I have seen a big toys section. There you can ask the stall holders do they do Lego and if they'll ever do it.

Advertisement