Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to test for poison?

Options
  • 15-07-2010 8:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭

Our dog brought home a cut of leg that looks like it came from a butcher.
    Looked pretty much like a cutoff to be thrown out.
    Since we live in the countryside I find the sudden appearance of a large portion of leg that's clearly been processed by a butcher (it's skinned and the bones where cut with a saw) very suspicious.
    Besides, we had a large falling out with our neighbour over our dogs and since then he hasn't spoken to us and I have broken up contact with him since he came over one day and behaved in a threatening and abusive manner to my wife.
    My question is:
    Where can I get this chunk of meat tested for poison?
    The neighbour has in the past told me that he is putting out poison (for rats he tells me), so I have to keep my cats and dogs inside at all times and should never let them out.
    He also told lies about the entire neighbourhood, saying that they all hate my dogs and some have threatened to shoot them.
    I know all my neighbours very well and they have all told me that guy is crazy and you can't believe a word he says.
    That, and my dog disappearing twice and be found 20 km away in opposite directions each time makes me extremely paranoid.
    If anyone knows where to go and have meat tested for poison, please post here.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭muppet_man

I would suggest getting your dog to a vet right away just in case he did injest some of the meat. Even for piece of mind at least.
    Bring the meat with you and explain your fears to the vet that it may be poisioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Had something like this happen about 5 years ago, farmer had horses in stables behind us and siad my dog was a nuisance and that he should be tied up all day (he was not a nuisance in any way!). Low and behold my dog comes home a week later foaming at the mouth and very unwell as you can imagine, brought him stright to the vets and was told afterwards that someone had laid strichtnine around our house. Horrible experience. Not sure where you can get it tested tho:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

These lads will definitely help you out Backweston Labs The meat control lab might be worth giving a call to. Not sure if theyll test for non vets/ag people though.

Also second the previous posters suggestion of getting your dog checked out by your vet if its in the last few hrs. You're in for all sorts of complications if the meat has been contaminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The neighbour has in the past told me that he is putting out poison (for rats he tells me), so I have to keep my cats and dogs inside at all times and should never let them out.

Why can't you let them out in your own secure garden? or take them for a walk like a normal person? :confused:
    Ricardo G wrote: »
    Had something like this happen about 5 years ago, farmer had horses in stables behind us and siad my dog was a nuisance and that he should be tied up all day (he was not a nuisance in any way!). Low and behold my dog comes home a week later foaming at the mouth and very unwell as you can imagine, brought him stright to the vets and was told afterwards that someone had laid strichtnine around our house. Horrible experience. Not sure where you can get it tested tho:confused:

A horse was killed fairly recently near where I live by 3 dogs that escaped. Sorry but people do have valid concerns about dogs running loose around livestock/kids/horses. It's irrelevant what the dogs temprament is, horses are prey animals and see dogs as things that are going to eat them. You would be liable if say 10 yr old child out on a pony, pony sees dog wandering around with no-one to control it, pony panics bucks child off and tramples her to death. You say someone laid strichtnine around your house, how do you know this? I assume by around your house, you mean on your own property where your dog should be. Because I'm getting the feeling that both of you are letting your dogs run loose :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Why can't you let them out in your own secure garden? or take them for a walk like a normal person? :confused:

A horse was killed fairly recently near where I live by 3 dogs that escaped. Sorry but people do have valid concerns about dogs running loose around livestock/kids/horses. It's irrelevant what the dogs temprament is, horses are prey animals and see dogs as things that are going to eat them. You would be liable if say 10 yr old child out on a pony, pony sees dog wandering around with no-one to control it, pony panics bucks child off and tramples her to death. You say someone laid strichtnine around your house, how do you know this? I assume by around your house, you mean on your own property where your dog should be. Because I'm getting the feeling that both of you are letting your dogs run loose :rolleyes:

Would you ever get off your high-horse! Dogs can't all be tarred with the same brush, just like humans. The op has not indicated that the dog is being let roam freely, at least from my reading of it. It also sounds like the rest of his neighbours agree that this guy is a lunatic. Another person was talking about strichtnine.

• Advertisement

The house that i was renting at the time was on farmland owned by my landlord, the horses and dog never bothered each other. Simple fact the landlord did not like dogs. You make it sound like we leave our dogs run ragged around the place without any control?????????? in my case you could'nt be further from the truth and your wild exaggerations and what ifs?? Does that give the person the right to lay poison around someones property? to kill an animal/pet??? Nice to see where your morals lie !!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The dogs have their compound and are being walked every day.
    Sometimes they are out in front of the house but only if we're there.
    The neighbour in question is not a farmer, nor does he own any animals.
    All the farmers around us have no problem with the dogs whatsoever and sometimes their dogs come for a visit.
    We live in the countryside and everyone accepts there will be dogs, cats, cows and what have you not, we even had the odd bull in the garden.
    It's the country, you will meet animals, everyone accepts that, the only people who don't understand that are city people who moved to the countryside for god knows what and cannot handle animals.
    And as for people laying poison to get pets, that is the lowest, sickest, most cowardly thing I've ever heard of, anyone who does that is nothing but subhuman garbage and not worth to be spat on.
    And what if a child picks it up and gets poisoned?

tommy21 wrote: »
    Would you ever get off your high-horse! Dogs can't all be tarred with the same brush, just like humans. The op has not indicated that the dog is being let roam freely, at least from my reading of it. It also sounds like the rest of his neighbours agree that this guy is a lunatic. Another person was talking about strichtnine.

if you open your eyes mate, you'll see quite clearly that I've answered both posters seperately. And yes I will tar all dogs with the same brush as I've never met a 'bad' dog. I've met plenty of bad owners though ;)

Our dog brought home a cut of leg that looks like it came from a butcher.
    Looked pretty much like a cutoff to be thrown out.
    Since we live in the countryside I find the sudden appearance of a large portion of leg that's clearly been processed by a butcher (it's skinned and the bones where cut with a saw) very suspicious.
    Low and behold my dog comes home a week later foaming at the mouth and very unwell as you can imagine, brought him stright to the vets and was told afterwards that someone had laid strichtnine around our house. Horrible experience. Not sure where you can get it tested tho:confused:
    Appologies if I got it wrong but the language used implies that both dogs must have been away somewhere unsupervised in order to 'come home'.

I have lived in the country all my life, I have had a horse killed on the road due to a sort of freak accident involving a dog. (Not the dog's fault or the owners just an accident!) Have a neighbour had a mare in foal had to be put down after she had the ligaments ripped out of the back of her legs by a pack of dogs that got loose and went into her field.

Found my own dog bleeding all over the doorstep after being attacked by a (different) pack of loose dogs after being torn apart in my front garden (they jumped over the wall to get in)

Like I said lads, valid concerns. There is no point reporting incidents like these because nothing is done about any animal attacking another, so I can see why some people may feel it necessary to take the matter into their own hands. No I wouldn't condone laying poision for peoples dogs but if I ever get hold of a wandering dog it'll go straight to the pound, might give the owner something to think about at least. As I said appologies if I picked it up wrong but just wanted to get the other side of the story out there.

if you open your eyes mate, you'll see quite clearly that I've answered both posters seperately. And yes I will tar all dogs with the same brush as I've never met a 'bad' dog. I've met plenty of bad owners though ;)

lol your argument doesn't even make sense.

• Advertisement

Found my own dog bleeding all over the doorstep after being attacked by a (different) pack of loose dogs after being torn apart in my front garden (they jumped over the wall to get in)

How dare you let your dog out of the house, shame on you! :rolleyes:

I have lived in the country all my life, I have had a horse killed on the road due to a sort of freak accident involving a dog. (Not the dog's fault or the owners just an accident!)

Then why bother mentioning it?

As I said appologies if I picked it up wrong but just wanted to get the other side of the story out there.

So the other side of the story is that basically all dogs are pretty much the same, and you won't hesitate to teaching the owner a lesson by dropping it off at the pound? I think we'll all agree that dogs and certainly not packs of dogs should ever be left to roam the countryside where they might be a danger. But I find your attitude quite ridiculous and am very surprised you own a dog. From what I can see all your negative experiences relate to packs of dogs running free. Someone is to blame for that, but it is generally not individual dog owners.

tommy21 wrote: »
    lol your argument doesn't even make sense.

What argument? I'm not making any argument :confused: Not even going to entertain you any more, you're clearly not too bright :rolleyes:

What argument? I'm not making any argument :confused: Not even going to entertain you any more, you're clearly not too bright :rolleyes:

Fair enough, you obviously aren't able to retort on much of anything, so an easy out for you. You're in the doghouse in my book though. :D

Appologies if I got it wrong but the language used implies that both dogs must have been away somewhere unsupervised in order to 'come home'.

I have lived in the country all my life, I have had a horse killed on the road due to a sort of freak accident involving a dog. (Not the dog's fault or the owners just an accident!) Have a neighbour had a mare in foal had to be put down after she had the ligaments ripped out of the back of her legs by a pack of dogs that got loose and went into her field.

Like I said lads, valid concerns. There is no point reporting incidents like these because nothing is done about any animal attacking another, so I can see why some people may feel it necessary to take the matter into their own hands. No I wouldn't condone laying poision for peoples dogs but if I ever get hold of a wandering dog it'll go straight to the pound, might give the owner something to think about at least. As I said appologies if I picked it up wrong but just wanted to get the other side of the story out there.

I can understand where your coming from to a certain degree but dogs are not supposed to be locked up all the time, in the country its more acceptable to leave a dog wander round outside his house/territory (not miles) thats the way its been where i live tbh. I just dont condone this attitude " if i find a dog wandering or straying outside his house then stright to the pound" attitude. I also get the feeling that you condone punishing (putting it lightly) a dog for merely wandering outside its quarters. Would you like someone to find one of your horses out on the rd and without trying to locate you bring the horse to the pound ? I doubt it tbh

I can understand where your coming from to a certain degree but dogs are not supposed to be locked up all the time, in the country its more acceptable to leave a dog wander round outside his house/territory (not miles) thats the way its been where i live tbh. I just dont condone this attitude " if i find a dog wandering or straying outside his house then stright to the pound" attitude. I also get the feeling that you condone punishing (putting it lightly) a dog for merely wandering outside its quarters. Would you like someone to find one of your horses out on the rd and without trying to locate you bring the horse to the pound ? I doubt it tbh

No my dogs are not locked up ever ;) I have an acre of garden round my house with secure fencing and they have the run of it. The younger one is taken for 3 walks a day, and 'helps' me muck out when the horses are in the fields by digging in the shavings, the older one has no wish to leave the garden anymore other than the short walk to the stables to watch me feed as he is quite elderly now and suffered quite severe damage to his legs when he was attacked 3 years ago and is unable to walk very far. And no no-one will find any of my horses on the road and I do have quite the escape artist on my hands who can fit through the gap between 2 sets of boards in a fence, open gates and stable doors ect. He does escape within the confines of the property from time to time but the perimeter fencing is kept to a high enough standard that none of the horses can get outside the property (i.e. natural hedges reinforced with small mesh wire and post and rail fencing inside that ;). To be honest I can't see how anyone who would want to keep their animals safe could allow them to roam on the road, if nothing else you can't control other peoples driving ability. It's just unfortunate in my case that the fencing in the garden was built to keep my dogs and kids in, I wasn't bargining on 2 greyhounds making a bid at getting over it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Secure fencing is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I live in the country side and I don't appreciate that other country folk think it's ok to allow their dog outside their front garden, because these dogs cause a nuisance to traffic..even the countryside has busy roads and lanes, they get in to other peoples gardens and chase their pets. I had to spend a fortune on extra fencing for sections of the garden to keep other peoples dogs out because they were coming in chasing and frightening my previous rabbits and even the birds in the aviary at the time.

I don't care if people live on the top of a hill or in a town keep your dogs and cats in your own gardens.

Sorry for hi-jacking thread OP. Hope you get sorted that neighbour sounds totally looney.

Advertisement