Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy

Options
  • 15-07-2010 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hello,

Hope all are well...
    (Not sure if this is the correct place to post so mods, sorry if it isn't & please move if incorrect)

Basically hoping someone can offer some advice -

On maternity leave at the minute and due back to work in November. With the company 4 years. A colleague that i'm in conctact with has told me that my position hasn't changed and I will have a different role on my return. I would be delighted if they offered reducdancy instead and wonder where I stand on this?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Work Problems

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm deffinitely no expert and this may sund silly, but have you asked them if they want volunteers for redunancy?? In this economic climate it seems to me that a few companies are taking this option as it avoids legal techniclities that could lead to exspensive law suits (unfair dismissal etc). Just an idea?

I hope things work out for you, being a new mother is demanding enough on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Not quite sure what your original question is. From what it sounds like is that you don't like your job and would like to be offered redundancy when you get back to work. Is this correct?
    As for your position hasn't changed but you will be in a different role when you return. This is legal as far as I kow. You cannot be fired/made redundant while on maternity, but you can be moved into another role, as long as it is the same level as when you started your leave.
    I do not know if it is a good idea looking for redundancy as it could reduce the amount of paid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WWC1

Hi,

Just read my original post and meant to say that my position HAS changed, sorry for confusion
    Hubbie is from Oz and we are toying with the idea of moving there so redundancy would be ideal.
    Def would not come out and ask for it but was just curious if it was a possibilty if I were unhappy with new position.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

As anthony4335 said, you just have to be given an equivalent position, not the same one.

Remember that they have to make the position redundant, not the person. So if they were to give you redundancy in your new position, it would be that little bit more awkward to fill it afterwards. I know that sometimes it's just a case of changing the job title - but it still might not be something they want to do if they're not downsizing as it is.

Also - they are very unlikely to bring this up with you as they would be treading on eggshells around an employee coming back from maternity leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WWC1

Hmmm hadn't thought of it like that Eoin. Will see how it goes at the time I guess.

Much appreciated

Advertisement