Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair in his eyes.

Options
  • 15-07-2010 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭

We've a shih-tsu (sp?) who is about 3 months old. Family is gone on holidays and we were told to keep the hairs around his eyes pointed away with vaseline. Mam always did this and maybe every 3 weeks the hairs were cut. Now they're grown back and I think they're stuck there with a stick stuff from his eyes (sorry for the vague and poorly worded language.. don't know much about dogs :o). It's touching his left eye. It doesn't look to be bothering him but I'd rather at least stop it touching, it's creeping me out. Everytime I try and go near it he winces and moves away. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If its wet and sticky get a soft cloth and wet it well, then gently wet the gunk around the eyes and wipe down and away from the eye.
    If its dry and crusty just crumble with your fingers.
    I know its horrible but has to be done, shih tzu's are prone to tearing and it really should be cleaned daily. Don't try cutting the hair unless you know what you're doing, its very easy to have an accident with a wriggling pup.

It helps if someone holds the pup and talk to him while you're doing it as it reassures them. He will resist but try to be firm with him as he'll need to have it done his whole life. Don't try to do it all in one go at first, and give a treat when done, he'll soon learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I'll try first thing in the morning. Poor fella is asleep now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Best of luck, he'll probably act like you're killing him at first:D, but don't give in, they may be small but they're tough little things.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

mymo wrote: »
    Best of luck, he'll probably act like you're killing him at first:D, but don't give in, they may be small but they're tough little things.:p

Mam came home today and he's taken care of :)

Advertisement