Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC cisco router & linksys WRT54GS problems

• 15-07-2010 9:38pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I have the pice of **** router that upc gave me the wireless cisco one..
    I also got a wrt54gs wireless router
    I'm pulling my hair out because I can't get the wireless to work on it.
    the wireless works, but I can get the internet working on it. keep getting "page cannot be displayed"
    it has to be something to do with with the lan settings or such?
    any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Lenny wrote: »
    Hi all, I have the pice of **** router that upc gave me the wireless cisco one..
    I also got a wrt54gs wireless router
    I'm pulling my hair out because I can't get the wireless to work on it.
    the wireless works, but I can get the internet working on it. keep getting "page cannot be displayed"
    it has to be something to do with with the lan settings or such?
    any ideas?

Need to clarify stuff first.

Do you mean the wireless on the Cisco router, or the WRT54G? Is putting the Cisco in bridge mode an option (i.e. do you need the phone capacity)?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ok, I don't need the phone option.
    The linksys modems wireless is all set up and running, when I plug the internet cable into the linksys(which i want as my main wireless) I connect to the wireless of it, and I cna't display any pages.
    I was looking at the the bridging part of the ntl supplied modem. I tried entering an ip into the box but nothing saved, what is it I'm supposed to put in?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ok, I don't need the phone option.
    The linksys modems wireless is all set up and running, when I plug the internet cable into the linksys(which i want as my main wireless) I connect to the wireless of it, and I cna't display any pages.
    I was looking at the the bridging part of the ntl supplied modem. I tried entering an ip into the box but nothing saved, what is it I'm supposed to put in?

Is the WRT54GS connected to the modem by cable or wireless?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I have the two modems connected by cable,
    Have it going from upc modem port 1 into the linksys "internet" port
    Why would I connect the two modems by wireless? I want to have the upc modems wireless diabled..
    I am thinking Ill just ring up upc and tell them I want the scientific alanta modem

I have the two modems connected by cable,
    Have it going from upc modem port 1 into the linksys "internet" port
    Why would I connect the two modems by wireless? I want to have the upc modems wireless diabled..
    I am thinking Ill just ring up upc and tell them I want the scientific alanta modem

Then log into the UPC one and disable it's wireless. After that go to:
    http://192.168.1.1/GatewayMode.asp

You may need to alter the address depending on your modem. Set it to bridge mode. After which it'll be on 192.168.100.1. Set the connection type on the WRT54GS to DHCP and it should collect all config info, including a public IP, through the modem.

• Advertisement

ok, grand im getting somewere. enabled that setting from that page you did
    the upc modem has changed its ip address as you said..
    on the first page of my linksys(I manually changed its ip address to avoid conflict)
    I have it set to automatic config -DCHP(before I did the bridge)
    it connects to the linksys but does not have access to the internet its telling me

*** edit problem solved ***
    I had on the linksys to copy the mac address of the upc toer
    thanks for all your help ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

And they all lived happily ever after!:)

Yep just can't believe i didn't find that page earlier...

Yep just can't believe i didn't find that page earlier...

The bridge mode page is hidden on some releases of the UPC modem firmware. Mine didn't get it though. Might be related to those who also have phone services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Raffers

Hey, I have a UPC cable modem in my house supplying my house with Wifi,
    I also have one of those mains piggyback things hooked up to that modem and out in my shed (Wifi does not reach) I have the other end of the mains thing....
    I want to know how to plug my Linksys wrt54g with DDWRT on it in in the shed so I can have Wifi out there.
    The mains thing does work I use it with my laptop from time to time.

I also set up the Linksys as an extender and put it in the window near the shed but it still did not reach
    Hope someone can help
    Dave

• Advertisement

Raffers wrote: »
    Hey, I have a UPC cable modem in my house supplying my house with Wifi,
    I also have one of those mains piggyback things hooked up to that modem and out in my shed (Wifi does not reach) I have the other end of the mains thing....
    I want to know how to plug my Linksys wrt54g with DDWRT on it in in the shed so I can have Wifi out there.
    The mains thing does work I use it with my laptop from time to time.

I also set up the Linksys as an extender and put it in the window near the shed but it still did not reach
    Hope someone can help
    Dave

I'd set the WRT54G to client bridge mode, and let it connect to the UPC modem Wifi.

Spear wrote: »
    I'd set the WRT54G to client bridge mode, and let it connect to the UPC modem Wifi.

Thanks for getting back but the Wifi does not reach the shed

Thanks for getting back but the Wifi does not reach the shed

Is there power to the shed?

Is there power to the shed?

Yes and at the moment im useing one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/networking/powerline-over-the-mains

and it works brill so I want to insted of plugging that mains thing into my laptop I wana plug it into a router

Yes and at the moment im useing one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/networking/powerline-over-the-mains

and it works brill so I want to insted of plugging that mains thing into my laptop I wana plug it into a router

There were to be my next suggestion. So you should be able to plug the router into the one in the shed by it's WAN port, wifi to the router, and then by powerline adapter to the UPC modem.

There were to be my next suggestion. So you should be able to plug the router into the one in the shed by it's WAN port, wifi to the router, and then by powerline adapter to the UPC modem.

Sweet,
    Thanks

Advertisement