Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going on holiday

• 15-07-2010 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hello all,

I am going on holiday for two weeks next Wednesday, the 21st, and since my payment day is always a Tuesday, do you think I'm allowed to collect it next week? Or not due to the fact that the money is always advanced for the week ahead?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

This should answer your question:

If you are getting Jobseeker's Allowance you can go on holiday for a maximum of 2 weeks and get the 2 weeks payment on your return. You must notify your social welfare local office in advance of taking your 2 weeks holiday.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/irish-social-welfare-system/claiming-a-social-welfare-payment/going-abroad-and-social-welfare-payments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 germwarfare

I understand this, but I will return on the 5th of August, so if you include next week's pay, that would be three weeks pay upon return. Since I'll be in the country still on Tuesday, can I not pick up my payment then, leaving me with two weeks pay upon my return?

I see what you're saying now. Just collect your dole as usual on tuesday. Then when you come back collect the 2 weeks you missed. No need to complicate matters

Thanks for that, it seems the most sensible course of action. Would you know by any chance as to how I receive my backdated money upon my return? Do I have to sign on when I get back to confirm my 'reappearance' to SW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Just nominate a family member or close friend to collect while your away,
    your local post office will give you the form.

• Advertisement

you need to tell them before you head off.. then when you return you will be eligible to collect what is due

Yeah, I already told them a couple of weeks ago actually, and filled out a form. I just recall whether I was told to go back to the SW office upon my return to sign on again (my actual sign on date next would be Aug 11th), or whether the money would be automatically waiting for me at P.O.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

You need to go back into them when you return. They will then release your withheld payments which take 3 or 4 working days before they will be available in the post office.

You don't need to tell the SW anything.

Trish2007 wrote: »
    You need to go back into them when you return. They will then release your withheld payments which take 3 or 4 working days before they will be available in the post office.

That's very helpful, I'll do that, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tomo536

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    This should answer your question:

If you are getting Jobseeker's Allowance you can go on holiday for a maximum of 2 weeks and get the 2 weeks payment on your return. You must notify your social welfare local office in advance of taking your 2 weeks holiday.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/irish-social-welfare-system/claiming-a-social-welfare-payment/going-abroad-and-social-welfare-payments
    JAYSUS I HAVE A JOB AND I CANT AFFORD A WEEKS HOLIDAY NEVER MIND TWO,WELL FOR SOME

tomo536 wrote: »
    JAYSUS I HAVE A JOB AND I CANT AFFORD A WEEKS HOLIDAY NEVER MIND TWO,WELL FOR SOME

Looks like you need to get laid off so.

bryaner wrote: »
    Looks like you need to get laid off so.
    and join the rest of the state scroungers,not a bad idea and let the working people pay for me to go on holiday

and join the rest of the state scroungers,not a bad idea and let the working people pay for me to go on holiday

Your ignorance tells me that your not the sharpest knife in the block.

Maybe this person got a redundancy payment, or maybe saved up while

they had a job. Start now and you might have the price of one next year.

Your ignorance tells me that your not the sharpest knife in the block.

Maybe this person got a redundancy payment, or maybe saved up while

they had a job. Start now and you might have the price of one next year.
    maybe your right about this one but you dont have to be the sharpest knife to know that there are plenty of people on jsa and the dole who go on holidays every year especially those on the dole that dont want to work, and there are people who work full time who cant afford to go on holiday

maybe your right about this one but you dont have to be the sharpest knife to know that there are plenty of people on jsa and the dole who go on holidays every year especially those on the dole that dont want to work, and there are people who work full time who cant afford to go on holiday

Yes indeed, but the people like myself that were laid off in the last 2 years
    cannot be put in that bracket.

True there are long term scroungers that have a laugh at the working man and
    the state they need to be culled.

Believe me I don't feel great collecting €100 on a tuesday after working 20
    years straight from school, but I can understand your frustration, thats where
    the government are making the working man feel it's not worth working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

How people spend their money is no business of yours. This is not a forum for being critical of people in receipt of benefits. Infracted.

cAr0l wrote: »
    How people spend their money is no business of yours. This is not a forum for being critical of people in receipt of benefits. Infracted.
    carol i got your warning which i thought was harsh im only giving my opinion,as regards how people spend their money your right its not my business,unless those people are defrauding the state then it does become my business.I am not talking about the people who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own,but as you must be aware of the enormous amount of people who defraud this state and blatantly flaunt it in front of everyone.These are the people i was talking about and im sorry if i offended those people who did lose their jobs through no fault of their own and would do anything to get another job.Regards tomo536

A few people seem to have their wires crossed here.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

A few people seem to have their wires crossed here.:rolleyes:

Ahem...
    You don't need to tell the SW anything.
    Just nominate a family member or close friend to collect while your away,
    your local post office will give you the form.

Tell your social welfare about 2 weeks in advance, fill out the form and you will get whatever is owed to you on your next payment date.

• Advertisement

Ahem...

Tell your social welfare about 2 weeks in advance, fill out the form and you will get whatever is owed to you on your next payment date.

Ahem or just do the post office form like I have just done. Ahem Ahem:rolleyes:

Ahem or just do the post office form like I have just done. Ahem Ahem:rolleyes:

You advised the op "you don't need to tell the SW office anything" which is 100% wrong.

You do have to go to the SW office and let them know you are going on holidays... it's quite simple really...

You advised the op "you don't need to tell the SW office anything" which is 100% wrong.

You do have to go to the SW office and let them know you are going on holidays... it's quite simple really...

No you don't I'm just back. Simples

You are unaware of the proper procedure, that doesn't make what you done correct. If you are going to claim social welfare, at least understand the rules and conditions.

Don't give other people the wrong advice, you don't know what you are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

You are required to inform them when you go on holiday. If you didn't then you were violating social welfare rules.

You are required to inform them when you go on holiday. If you didn't then you were violating social welfare rules.

Ok so I guess your right and the lady in the post office is wrong!

I'll let her know on monday.

You are unaware of the proper procedure, that doesn't make what you done correct. If you are going to claim social welfare, at least understand the rules and conditions.

Don't give other people the wrong advice, you don't know what you are talking about.

I've followed proper procedure the last 2 years, maybe you should get your facts right before you come on here.

I'm giving real advice.

I've followed proper procedure the last 2 years, maybe you should get your facts right before you come on here.

I'm giving real advice.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx#q18
    You must inform them. It is stated on their website and on the UP43 issued to you when you sign on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

The woman in the post office is wrong. As previous posters have said you need to inform social welfare if you are leaving the country.

• Advertisement

Guess me and missus post lady are breaking the law so.

But Ill still use the post office next year (hopefully not)

Why would you take the advice from somebody in a completely different company? The lady in the post office works in a post office, not the social welfare office, they happen to be seperate establishments dealing with completely different customers.

I'm giving real advice.

You obviously haven't followed procedure if you are doing it wrong. You are unaware of the procedures in the first place. You are still giving false advice, you are wrong, it's that simple. Your "advice" will only lead others into trouble.
    Guess me and missus post lady are breaking the law so.

But Ill still use the post office next year (hopefully not)

Yea, you are breaking the conditions and hopefully you get caught out. Might put a stop to it.

Why would you take the advice from somebody in a completely different company? The lady in the post office works in a post office, not the social welfare office, they happen to be seperate establishments dealing with completely different customers.

You obviously haven't followed procedure if you are doing it wrong. You are unaware of the procedures in the first place. You are still giving false advice, you are wrong, it's that simple. Your "advice" will only lead others into trouble.

Yea, you are breaking the conditions and hopefully you get caught out. Might put a stop to it.

Strange why the post office offer this service. All the people that were let go from the company we worked for use the same service too.

You must inform Social Welfare of your intentions to go on holiday in advance of your holiday. Thats the rules.

However in real terms not many people bother to do this as they need the money for their holidays.

Very little chance Welfare would ever know about you taking a holiday especially if you take your hols in Ireland.

Thread is closed.
    Too many people suggesting welfare fraud even though repeated warnings have been given.
    OP
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx#q18
    That is what you need to know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement