Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to a router be good for?

Options
  • 15-07-2010 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

I have a BT Voyager router for a few years now and I was wondering, should you change/update your router every fews years or do they last until they dont work? Can an old router give poor performance?
    If I got a new one would it be any better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 brianoconnell

I personnaly would not replace my router unless it could not keep up with the package I'm paying for from my provider (eircom), I upgrade my wireless network or try and do some home networking projects beyond simple internet access!

If there is something wrong with your current router, you should mention what that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

That`s the thing I`m not sure if its the router or not, since I`ve had it years I wondered could it be it cause its old, it has the latest firmware and all.
    For 8mb I`d expect a faster surf! Damn Vodafone promised us 12mb no problem, did`nt get it.

To get anything above 8Mb, I think you need an ADSL2 modem and a service to match. You could check your router administrations to see what it's connecting at. If you have a perception of generally poor performance you could try a number of different broadband speed testers to see if it confirm's your suspicions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

I`m assuming by this....Line Mode ADSL2+.....that its ADSL2?
    I`ve tried every speed test I couuld find and they all say the same, could it be my broadband line itself?

ADSL Speed (DS/US) 10236/670 Kbps, Dont if this helps..

what are they saying?

• Advertisement
Advertisement