Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fossils- where to buy?

Options
  • 15-07-2010 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Been tinkering with the idea of getting 4/5 fossils just to have at home and maybe spark an interest in a child someday- anyone know a reputable site/shop that can be trusted? I've been on ebay and there seems to be some nice ones for cheap-ambered insects(not copal) and even a trilobite or 2!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This crowd: http://www.paleodirect.com/ are good, if pricey at times, but the smaller stuff is authentic, good quality and with a good provenance. I'd avoid ebay like the plague TBH. Not as cheap as people think and chock full of fakes and misrepresentations to boot.

Plus there are plenty of fossils laying around on beaches etc in Ireland. The open source free ones :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KenderWizard

Wibbs wrote: »
    Plus there are plenty of fossils laying around on beaches etc in Ireland. The open source free ones :D

If you pick up fossils on a beach, make sure you're allowed! Some areas are protected. It's like picking wildflowers, except they don't grow back so fast! Fossil-hunting on beaches is an awful lot of fun, though, and usually you can take away any loose fossils if they'll be washed out to sea anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

This crowd: http://www.paleodirect.com/ are good, if pricey at times, but the smaller stuff is authentic, good quality and with a good provenance. I'd avoid ebay like the plague TBH. Not as cheap as people think and chock full of fakes and misrepresentations to boot.

Very good info on that site-hard to believe how they fake the amber inclusions! From the looks of it all of ebay is fake intentionally or not! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Jesus ! , 13,000 $ for a Tyrannosaurus tooth!!
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

There is a great shop called The Rock Shop in Co. Clare. It has some fossils for sale.
    I got two small items - these two could be fake cos I would't know otherwise!
    I have Lovenia - sea urchin and Proteus Trilobite and it is not too expensive to buy.

see link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

The Paws wrote: »
    There is a great shop called The Rock Shop in Co. Clare. It has some fossils for sale.
    I got two small items - these two could be fake cos I would't know otherwise!
    I have Lovenia - sea urchin and Proteus Trilobite and it is not too expensive to buy.

see link

Cheers, was only at the cliffs of moher last year. Are there any for sale there tho? Just pics there with no hint of price or for sale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Hiya,

Yes there is a couple of really intersting fossils for sale there. I dont know why they dont put the prices online. I guess the shopkeeper wants people to come in and visit!

It is a great shop and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the fossils and it is for sell in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Ruana

The Rock Shop in Clare is brilliant I got an ammonite fossil there a few years back. Another place where you may get lucky is the St. Johns point area in S.W. Donegal, there are many fossils in the rocks and you may be lucky enough to get one that has broken off! (I did! :D)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They've pretty good stuff to be fair and a major :eek::eek: for Ireland, they're reasonable too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jurassic Cyclist 24

Yeah found a lot in rocks up in enniscrone great day :)

Advertisement